Mariners lunch!

I attended a Mariner’s lunch on the Rotterdam in October and the Oosterdam In February.  We enjoyed both experiences.  The menu was almost identical.  Sparkling wine on the table when we arrived.  Excellent lobster appetizer, you could also have a soup, maybe a salad.  Main was filet, fish or vegetarian.  Chocolates for desert.  I will attend every time it is offered.  

• Like 5

That looks like a significant improvement from the menu we had about 4 years ago.  At that time, it was an OK experience, but I wouldn't have made an effort to attend again.  This looks interesting.   Thanks for asking the question.

5 minutes ago, cruisecrazyct said:

What are the qualifications to be invited to the Mariner's Luncheon

On most ships it is 3star or higher.

2 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

Maybe they are only on longer cruises. 

I think you are on to it. We had only one longer (16-day) cruise as 3* Mariners, and only one Luncheon invite. We almost didn't wait -- the line was so long. I think it must have been the Indonesian one mentioned above. I don't recall the food, but the servers were all in wonderful tunics like guayabera Mexican wedding shirts but patterned satin-like.

We sailed 2 cruises 16 days and 14 days  on Noordam February /March. We are 5 star Mariners, were invited to a Mariner reception each cruise, where Medallions were presented, but no Mariner Lunch either cruise.  It's interesting to read that the Mariners  Lunch is served on some ships.

I'm happy it's still around, but irritated I haven't been invited to one since restart. Before shutdown, all 1-star and above were invited, and it was a special occasion and really fostered loyalty, with free drinks and tiles handed out, and a speech from the captain. I've mostly done Koningsdam since restart, so maybe on a larger ship they only invite higher loyalty levels, to keep crowds down. I have Noordam in 10 days (if I clear standby) and Zaandam multiple times, so maybe on a small ship they'd have one for even 3-star peons like me. 

22 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I think you are on to it. We had only one longer (16-day) cruise as 3* Mariners, and only one Luncheon invite. We almost didn't wait -- the line was so long. I think it must have been the Indonesian one mentioned above. I don't recall the food, but the servers were all in wonderful tunics like guayabera Mexican wedding shirts but patterned satin-like.

Barong?

Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2024 at 11:53 PM, crystalspin said:

I don't recall the food, but the servers were all in wonderful tunics like guayabera Mexican wedding shirts but patterned satin-like.

Barong:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barong_tagalog

The barong tagalog, more commonly known simply as barong (and occasionally baro), is an embroideredlong-sleeved formal shirt for men and a national dress of the Philippines. Barong tagalog combines elements from both the precolonial native Filipinoand colonial Spanish clothing styles. It is traditionally made with sheer textiles (nipis) woven from piña or abacá; although in modern times, cheaper materials like organza silk, ramie or polyester are also used. 

170px-Man%27s_shirt_from_Luzon%2C_pineapple_fiber%2C_plain_weave%2C_embroidery%2C_Honolulu_Museum_of_Art.JPG Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Thanks 1