Choosing your own Deluxe balcony cabin on Regal

When I went on the Regal in February of this year I booked a deluxe balcony and was told I couldn't choose my cabin, which I assumed was because it was only a few months out. I got lucky and got upgraded to an aft facing deluxe balcony. I want to book the same cruise for next February (10 months from now) and again it won't let me choose my cabin. I can see that there are lots of deluxe balcony cabins available, but the only way you can choose your own is if there are three or more people in the cabin. This really sucks as you are paying the "choose your cabin" price, but can't actually choose your cabin.

Anyway, my question is, if you call Princess and book with one of their vacation planners can you choose your own cabin?

This is a game Princess has played for some time now, Holland America is starting the same thing.

They hold those Deluxe balconies (with couch) for 3 people. If you put 3 in the search, available cabins will show up. I have had varying success having my TA call them. I usually travel solo, so just like in restaurants, they save the crappy cabins (tables) for solos.

I found a B2B on Sky for 2026 but was unable to get a Deluxe veranda cabin assignment from them, as was my TA, even tho I pay double as a solo. .

I raised a stink on social media with Princess chat that I wanted to give them thousands of dollars, but refused to do so until they assigned me the cabin I wanted for 14 days.  It is something I detest using "Do you know who I am ??!!" , but it got results.

I got Emails from 2 people offering help, and a phone call from Captain's Circle. The CC agent was able to easily and quickly assign my cabin for both legs, and sent a new confirmation.

It shouldn't be that difficult. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

This is a game Princess has played for some time now, Holland America is starting the same thing.

Princess keeps those cabins for 3 people. It's not a game....

Celebrity is even worse at it. They charge more than double for a solo passenger, and recently they insisted on moving me to an inferior cabin because I have 3 people instead of 4, even though their website allowed me to book a cabin for 4 with only 3 people on the reservation.

It's not limited to Princess and it's not really a game.

Right? It shouldn't be that difficult. I travel solo also, so with the third and fourth passenger free promotion that is on right now I am paying as much as a family. I should be able to choose the cabin I want instead of rolling the dice. 

On another related note, why do they load those ships up with mostly balcony cabins with no couch? I was shocked to find out that you had to pay extra for a couch on Princess. I have previously sailed on Carnival and HAL and not run into that problem. I also started looking at MSC and same thing. Balcony cabins have a couch.

51 minutes ago, PG_traveller said:

Right? It shouldn't be that difficult. I travel solo also, so with the third and fourth passenger free promotion that is on right now I am paying as much as a family. I should be able to choose the cabin I want instead of rolling the dice. 

On another related note, why do they load those ships up with mostly balcony cabins with no couch? I was shocked to find out that you had to pay extra for a couch on Princess. I have previously sailed on Carnival and HAL and not run into that problem. I also started looking at MSC and same thing. Balcony cabins have a couch.

To my knowledge, Princess is the only line that does not outfit standard balcony cabins with a loveseat/sofa.  Every cabin category on Celebrity and HAL (except for Pinnacle class, which has no sofa in the inside cabins only) has a sofa.  On Princess, you have to book a Royal class ship and a deluxe balcony to get one.  I believe the new Sun Princess has stepped up and provides sofas.  We always book mini suites to get  the full sofa.  

• Like 2

PG,  we have. not had any luck lately having our TA or Princess let us get a Deluxe Balcony cabin assigned.  It is a big problem...  and Princess 'corporate' knows this.  This is totally wrong and makes no sense, as a couple can book a mini-suite but not a deluxe balcony...  Again...  Princess knows this...  They want it this way.

One work-around that has been mentioned is to book for three...  just add in a family member or close friend... and cancel them just before final payment.   That could possibly work if all else fails....

Princess can always move your cabin...  Everyone should check their booking regularly...  But, it might help to have your cabin marked NO Upgrade.   That way, once that third passenger is cancelled, Princess might be less likely to see that booking with two guests, and try to move you.

If they moved you with an upgrade, to make use of your Deluxe Balcony.. that would be a mini-suite.  But, that would be a gamble.

I was able to book a Deluxe Balcony Cabin by calling Princess and asking for their help.   Seems like that method is hit or miss according to other posts here.

• Like 1

I booked a D4 Premium Deluxe Balcony for 2 of us on Discovery with the description: "Choose this premium option of a Balcony stateroom with a larger balcony to take in the spectacular views." Of course, I cannot choose the cabin. And I notice that many D4s do not have a larger balcony. So am I guaranteed anything?

37 minutes ago, HeidisCruises said:

I booked a D4 Premium Deluxe Balcony for 2 of us on Discovery with the description: "Choose this premium option of a Balcony stateroom with a larger balcony to take in the spectacular views." Of course, I cannot choose the cabin. And I notice that many D4s do not have a larger balcony. So am I guaranteed anything?

you are probably guaranteed a Premium Deluxe balcony for 2 somewhere on the ship.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, HeidisCruises said:

You are certainly not guaranteed a larger balcony, for there are some aft-facing D4s that have small, uncovered balconies (Emerald, Caribe, and Aloha decks).  If you booked it yourself, I would contact Princess and see if they will assign you a cabin.  You can find out which cabins are available by doing a mock booking and selecting 3 people, instead of 1 or 2 people, in the cabin.  If you are outside of final payment, and you have a refundable deposit, it might be easier to cancel and rebook.  Some have luck by having a PCC or TA book them into a specific cabin.  I have been able to pick a specific cabin by  booking with three in the cabin and then calling Princess and telling them to drop the third.  You can also call Princess and have them do the same thing, but YMMV with the agent you get online.  I would select an aft-facing cabin on either the Baja deck or Dolphin deck, for they have the large balconies that are partially covered.

Edited by TAW1963

20 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

rjack,  how recently have you been able to do this?

We just did it for a booking on Enchanted Princess cabin L101.  I called our CVP and she was able to do it immediately with no problem.  CVPs can override the system and choose any cabin that’s available.

On 4/18/2024 at 9:55 AM, Lady Arwen said:

To my knowledge, Princess is the only line that does not outfit standard balcony cabins with a loveseat/sofa.  Every cabin category on Celebrity and HAL (except for Pinnacle class, which has no sofa in the inside cabins only) has a sofa.  On Princess, you have to book a Royal class ship and a deluxe balcony to get one.  I believe the new Sun Princess has stepped up and provides sofas.  We always book mini suites to get  the full sofa.  

Made me unhappy when they removed the barrel chair from the balcony cabins years ago.  If we book a balcony, it has to be deluxe as well but normally we just book the mini suite for the large sofa and extra space.  I've cleaned up a chair from the balcony and left it inside last year on the Ruby just to have an extra chair.  Crazy

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, texswamper said:

Made me unhappy when they removed the barrel chair from the balcony cabins years ago.  If we book a balcony, it has to be deluxe as well but normally we just book the mini suite for the large sofa and extra space.  I've cleaned up a chair from the balcony and left it inside last year on the Ruby just to have an extra chair.  Crazy

We prefer mini suites, too.  However, this next cruise we’re just doing a short seven night Canada New England itinerary in August and wanted the huge forward balcony to relax on.  Hoping to get the Sanctuary for the whole cruise, but no guarantees for that to happen.  Can’t do regular balconies with no sofa or loveseat!

• Like 1