Must Express Passes be printed?

When I checked in on line I was easily able to access my express passes and place them in my Apple wallet. However, when I received an email today with my final documents, it’s stated that the passes must be printed or embarkation will take longer. Unfortunately, I am having home printer issues.  Do I really needed printed passes or is this outdated information?

Also (due to same printer issues), my printed luggage tags are legible but not in full color; would this be a problem? I miss the days of mailed docs. 🙂 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, FolsomMike said:

When I checked in on line I was easily able to access my express passes and place them in my Apple wallet. However, when I received an email today with my final documents, it’s stated that the passes must be printed or embarkation will take longer. Unfortunately, I am having home printer issues.  Do I really needed printed passes or is this outdated information?

Also (due to same printer issues), my printed luggage tags are legible but not in full color; would this be a problem? I miss the days of mailed docs. 🙂 

No the Xpress doesn't need to be printed. Luggage tags do not need to be printed in color. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1

You will need easy access to your Express boarding pass at least three times during embarkation.  First, usually at the terminal entrance as a security measure; next at check-in, then later as you approach the gangway.   Having a printed copy is helpful as a back-up, but not necessary.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FolsomMike said:

In January, we could not access the internet and therefore could not present my pass on the phone. So I pulled out the hard copy and the checker was very happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gradelady said:

In January, we could not access the internet and therefore could not present my pass on the phone. So I pulled out the hard copy and the checker was very happy.

FYI, you can accomplish the same thing by saving your passes to your phone's wallet. Without internet, it's a static copy just like a paper copy.

(As an aside, if you buy an event ticket through most ticket services (Ticketmaster, for instance), they will tell you screen shots and printouts of the ticket in your app aren't accepted. But the ticket in your phone's wallet is. The only event tickets I've had in hard copy for years are the ones I've bought directly at the box office (usually theater tickets in NYC) or specialty tickets (floor seats, pit for some shows, etc.) with restricted distribution to reduce resale and scalping. And since they're all thermal printed and fade out, they're not even good souvenirs anymore.) 

1 hour ago, Gradelady said:

You do not need the internet to access your pass within the X app, you may get a popup that says "no connection" but doesn't stop you from accessing it.  Was recently behind an elderly couple who didn't have phones, I thought this was going to be a 5min thing and looked to see if I could jump into the back of the line at either check-in person beside me but to my surprise, it only took the staff a few seconds to look them up and validate the info matched their passport

2 hours ago, Gradelady said:

Hence the screen shot comment..

I've got all bases covered!  I printed them out, they are on the app, and I've taken a screen shot!  There's no way they are keeping me off that ship!!!

Elvis

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FolsomMike said:

no, you do not.  Screenshot, or save in Apple wallet or google wallet.  Obviously make sure phone is charged!  

We have been on 6 cruises now with black and white tags on 4 different cruise lines.  Always got our bags.

I have always printed off our boarding passes, and don’t have a smartphone.  I’m assuming the boarding pass will show somewhere in the Celebrity app on my iPad, but that doesn’t have a wifi connection of its own. I hadn’t thought of taking a screenshot as well, but that’s a very sensible suggestion, so I shall do that as well! Nothing like belt and braces!