what kind of food is allowed onto an Alaskan cruise ship

sharon_pei

We are thinking of bringing the following. Anyone knows if any of these are not allowed by Princess pls?
1) a small piece of fresh ginger for sea sickness treatment
2). energy bars and possibly other snacks that we plan to buy in Vancouver for the dyi land tour after the cruise journey (Vancouver should have much wider and easier selections of food than Anchorage, and we will only have a 3 days after cruise and won't want to waste time on grocery shopping)
3). a few packages of those self cooking food (for the land tour part) that are sold on amazon. those would include a small pack of water in the package (very small though). 

#2 definitely. Also, I believe Anchorage has Walmart, Sam's Club, etc. so probably plenty of options--although I can understand not wanting to use time grocery shopping.

Not sure about #1 and #3. I'm not even sure what #3 is referring to. First I was picturing like ramen soup cups or something like that, which would be okay.

Except for the ginger buy it in ANC so you don't have to pack it and worry about customs. You can also get what you have forgotten. Lots of stores. If that short of time you may have to rethink your visit. 

#2 is definitely allowed. As long as it is all factory sealed. I don't know if you can bring fresh ginger on. Most people bring candied ginger or tablets.

I'd be thinking the third option would be a no if they contain heating elements.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

Sam's Club

Sam's Club pulled out of Alaska a few years back. Anchorage does have two Costco's, a Business Costco, Walmart, Target, Fred Meyer, Carrs, etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sharon_pei said:

I will give up # 3 on the list, but really want to bring fresh ginger to help with seasickness -- chewing on a piece of ginger really helps! is this not allowed?

If it's fresh, then it's against the law - you can plant a ginger root! This is 100% not going to be allowed in any border crossing, whether Canada to the US or vice versa.

Buy candied ginger in Canada and you're fine - you can't stick a sugary lump into the ground and get a plant to grow 😉 

• Like 2

On 4/30/2024 at 12:26 AM, sharon_pei said:

I will give up # 3 on the list, but really want to bring fresh ginger to help with seasickness -- chewing on a piece of ginger really helps! is this not allowed?

There are plenty of other forms of ginger that work just fine.  Candied ginger, ginger chews, ginger ale, ginger snaps, etc.

• Like 1

I have taken these on every cruise and have never had a problem (taken to Caribbean, Hawaii, and Europe). They are wrapped and labeled as candy not as a health product.  

They are VERY strong. I get motion sick often (on land and sea) and these make a huge difference. 

• Like 1