Oceania vs Queen Mary 2

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, QuestionEverything said:

Thanks for your post.

I do not know your cruising history. I agree with you regarding the class system comment.

Do you sail on Celebrity? Celebrity's class system is far more overt, structured than Cunard.

I've sailed on Celebrity many times, but haven't in recent years. I disagree with your opinion about Celebrity's class system being more structured than Cunard's. To me the Grill classes on Cunard are the height of class structure. Perhaps Celebrity's class system has gotten worse since I last sailed with that line, but Cunard's system absolutely oozes an aura of British colonialism and royalty that I find nauseating...and I say that regardless of how much my parents enjoyed their Grill experiences long ago on the QE2.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I've sailed on Celebrity many times, but haven't in recent years. I disagree with your opinion about Celebrity's class system being more structured than Cunard's. To me the Grill classes on Cunard are the height of class structure. Perhaps Celebrity's class system has gotten worse since I last sailed with that line, but Cunard's system absolutely oozes an aura of British colonialism and royalty that I find nauseating...and I say that regardless of how much my parents enjoyed their Grill experiences long ago on the QE2.

Hi njhorseman!

I can't say I had the same assessment of you during my one sailing in the Grills. I felt none of the impressions you noted above in the Grills nor elsewhere on any Cunard ship. They are your impressions and I respect that.

What I will say that the physically separated Retreat area on the newer Celebrity ships, is a physical construct very similar as on the old ocean liners. On Cunard, there are separate dining rooms and a lounge, but there is no separate physical space other than that. The Celebrity Retreat restriction reminds me of the structural cut off of the 1st class area that you can experience on the Rotterdam moored in Rotterdam harbor. 

I remember the early days of cruising when Ted Arison, founder of Carnival Line, ranted about Cunard and the French line having physically separated areas which most passengers were excluded from, I have old scrap books with articles from newspapers on this.

Fast forward from the 70's to 2024 and the modern cruise lines have come close to the original Cunard and French line physical configuration!

I enjoy the premium and luxury lines which are mostly one class and I appreciate that. 

• Like 1

Hi All,

At the risk of muddying the discussion on class distinctions, I offer an anecdote.

When we were first on one of Oceania's larger ships, in this case the Marina, just after covid restrictions were loosening to the point that folk were travelling again, we boldly booked our first penthouse.  It was 9145.  

One day as I was about to get off of a crowded elevator, a man joked that the next stop was the ninth floor where the rooms were small for the riff raff on the ship.  I didn't realize when he spoke that my stop was next, so when I went to get off I joked...just call me Riff

I didn't fully understand his point, and it wasn't until later that I figured out that the vast majority of the rooms on that floor were concierge level, the level we had always been in to that point.  

If I had still been in Grade 5, I could have said, O, ya, well, I'm in 9145 which is a penthouse, so there!

I guess class distinctions are not just institutional.

Cheers,

Greg from the WildWanderers

• Like 2

We talk about the class system on other lines because they marketed that way.  People don't believe "O" has one.  Yet when you book one of the big named suite "O" definitely does have one.  Although guest are treated nicely on "O", if you're in one of those suites you do have perks that aren't in your face  (as it should for those paying more).  I know people will say everyone is treated the same-that just isn't so.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Many times it is one’s frame of mind about class systems; some want it, while others couldn't care less.  For me it all depends on price, itinerary, cruise line and time of year.  However, I agree  that we all have different wants when cruising, but need to thoroughly research, as much as possible, to understand what’s available and not onboard.  Expectations play such an important part.  When cruising with friends, I have a different mind set than when just my DH and I cruise.  Thank goodness we are all different!

Thanks so much for sharing your personal perspective!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 3

Thank you for this thread everyone.

We too are Oceania lovers, but have booked the Queen Anne for a January 2025 sailing from Southampton to San Francisco, where we live. We wanted to try a newly built ship, and liked this itinerary.

Several of you have mentioned you'll be on the Queen Anne. We'd appreciate your thoughts on the Queen Anne vs the O class Oceania ones. We especially like O's food, so that comparison would help too.

Thanks 

Loretta

• Like 2

I've really enjoyed this thread. We've sailed on QM2, QE and QV and are on QA next month. Then we are trying Regatta in October so it will be interesting to compare. 

I've only been in Britannia cabins, inside - balcony but have never felt the class distinction others mention. I'm aware of the Grills cabins but then all ships hve different grades with perks for the dearer ones.

I especially love the library (though I have to stop myself reorganising the shelves!) on Cunard ships and the lectures and quizzes. We're looking forward to a casual vibe on Oceania. Our Regatta cruise is a fly cruise, so we can travel lighter whereas QA is from Southampton so we can take all our posh gear! 

• Like 2

On 5/9/2024 at 8:24 PM, njhorseman said:

oozes an aura of British colonialism and royalty that I find nauseating

I imagine the vast majority of my fellow Britons might well agree with you. It seems to  represent a bygone age that is no longer typical of my country. I wouldnt touch them with the proverbial barge pole, even if it was free. 

But then I have no interest in sailing with any line that has what I consider to be old fashioned dress codes. I don't go to any of the tiny minority of land based restaurants here that require a jacket and I've no intention of going anywhere on holiday that might require me to wear one (or feel out of place if I didn't).  

• Like 4

I have never understood the disdain for sport jackets. While I understand the hassle of packing a tux, my sport jacket folds neatly requiring little room.

All this reminds me an Alaskan cruise we did, on another line, with a gentleman that only wore shorts. Nice guy, but he was adamant he only wore shorts 365, didn’t even own a pair of regular trousers. He thought it old fashioned and outrageous that he couldn’t dine in the GDR or Specialty restaurant. Thing is, he knew what the rules were when he booked. 

Whether old fashioned or not, different establishments have different dress codes, if they have any at all. Dress codes may well be a reason to choose or not choose a line. Different strokes for different folks. Oceania’s are rather simple and straightforward. What t’s me are those that blatantly attempt to not adhere to them. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I have never understood the disdain for sport jackets. While I understand the hassle of packing a tux, my sport jacket folds neatly requiring little room.

All this reminds me an Alaskan cruise we did, on another line, with a gentleman that only wore shorts. Nice guy, but he was adamant he only wore shorts 365, didn’t even own a pair of regular trousers. He thought it old fashioned and outrageous that he couldn’t dine in the GDR or Specialty restaurant. Thing is, he knew what the rules were when he booked. 

Whether old fashioned or not, different establishments have different dress codes, if they have any at all. Dress codes may well be a reason to choose or not choose a line. Different strokes for different folks. Oceania’s are rather simple and straightforward. What t’s me are those that blatantly attempt to not adhere to them. 

I thought Oceania didn't require a jacket to dine anyplace on the ship.  I understand no shorts, but if you're nicely dress--slacks and shirt I don't see a problem.  In fact some of those shirts can cost more than a jacket and look a lot better without a jacket.

34 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Dress codes may well be a reason to choose or not choose a line

Absolutely. I have no issue whatsoever about a cruise line, or a restaurant on land, having whatever dress code they want. If they make clear what it is, then potential customers can decide whether or not to go.

There was a Michelin 2 star restaurant in London that I wanted to go to for many, many years. They had a "jackets required" policy so, of course, I never went. They were increasingly out of step with the modern restaurant "scene" and , in due course, changed their policy to "smart casual" as most upmarket places specify if they have a policy. Needless to say, we quickly booked our hotel and four hour round trip train journey to go and enjoy it. Had an excellent time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

I thought Oceania didn't require a jacket to dine anyplace on the ship.  I understand no shorts, but if you're nicely dress--slacks and shirt I don't see a problem.  In fact some of those shirts can cost more than a jacket and look a lot better without a jacket.

Yes, your thinking is correct. I think he was saying that it's not a problem to pack one. I frequently take mine.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, gaeltrav said:

You need a jacket or sweater in the main theatre as it can be freezing with the air conditioning at times

Absolutely!

Plus, this isn’t a commonly held practice for many, but at times my DW decides to dress very nicely, look very pretty, and not do the LCD thing. When she does, I feel compelled to step it up and dress more nicely.

One of the fashion statements onboard is the lady nicely dressed, a bit of bling, and dolled up, while the husband wear his Izod polo shirt 1-2 sizes to small, or a 2002 era flowery Hawaiian shirt, or what appears to be an old bowling league shirt. 🙄. The restaurant hostess is looking around trying to find who goes with the guy, as it assuredly can’t be the nicely dressed lady standing nearby! 😂

If my DW prettifies, I prettify!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

"If my DW prettifies, I prettify!"

It is the opposite in my marriage. I'm the clothes horse who sets the pace for traditional cruise attire. (I pack more pairs of shoes, too.) 😆

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, QuestionEverything said:

Yet many complain about a jacket etc on Cunard, but they will go to a wedding with a similar requirement.....hummmmm.

Well…..the cruise is a vacation, which I would think falls into a a bit of a different category than a wedding. May as well throw funeral in with the analogy. 

Edited by EJL2023

4 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Well…..the cruise is a vacation, which I would think falls into a a bit of a different category than a wedding. May as well throw funeral in with the analogy. 

I go on cruises for a good time. I go to weddings for a good time. If invited to a wedding that is likely to not be a good time, which is a rare occurrence, I politely decline. Accordingly, I don't see vacations and weddings as being very different. Both should be pleasant and celebratory diversions from one's day-to-day life.

I feel badly for people who seem to be incapable enjoying a cruise (or wedding) if there is a bit of dressing up included.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

May as well throw funeral in with the analogy. 

I've been to two funerals in recent years (both my in-laws). There was no dress code and I don't think anyone wore a jacket. 

I find “dress’ a really weird topic. Different countries, cultures, mores…. we all have different ‘normals’. For me as long as nobody dresses in an offensive manner for the venue then no problem.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harters said:

I've been to two funerals in recent years (both my in-laws). There was no dress code and I don't think anyone wore a jacket. 

Uh…..I wasn’t agreeing with him….just as many weddings request casual attire now also. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, no1talks said:

I go on cruises for a good time. I go to weddings for a good time. If invited to a wedding that is likely to not be a good time, which is a rare occurrence, I politely decline. Accordingly, I don't see vacations and weddings as being very different. Both should be pleasant and celebratory diversions from one's day-to-day life.

I feel badly for people who seem to be incapable enjoying a cruise (or wedding) if there is a bit of dressing up included.

And did I say I couldn’t enjoy either if I had to dress up??  And I guess some people are stating if they have to dress up they will ‘politely’ decide not to cruise on a particular line. 

Edited by EJL2023
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

And did I say I couldn’t enjoy either if I had to dress up??  And I guess some people are stating if they have to dress up they will ‘politely’ decide not to cruise on a particular line. 

You seem very defensive.

After all, you brought up the point by implying a difference between a cruise and a wedding, as a means of refuting an implied double-standard held by those who will dress up for a wedding, but not a cruise.

However, a cruise and a wedding may not be so different. It is not all that unusual for couples to combine a wedding or vow renewal with a cruise

Do you always see yourself as the specific subject of an observation made to indicate a non-specific portion of the cruising population? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, no1talks said:

You seem very defensive.

After all, you brought up the point by implying a difference between a cruise and a wedding, as a means of refuting an implied double-standard held by those who will dress up for a wedding, but not a cruise.

However, a cruise and a wedding may not be so different. It is not all that unusual for couples to combine a wedding or vow renewal with a cruise

Do you always see yourself as the specific subject of an observation made to indicate a non-specific portion of the cruising population? 

When I am tagged, yes I do.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

I find “dress’ a really weird topic. Different countries, cultures, mores…. we all have different ‘normals’. For me as long as nobody dresses in an offensive manner for the venue then no problem.

Hi All,

Just to build a bit on @Vallesan's point, we bought formal kurtas in Delhi on a pre-cruise (Mumbai - Rome) land tour and wore them sometimes in Oceania's specialty restaurants.  They are the type worn at an Indian wedding if that helps to visualize.  The reaction of the Indian crew was to be honoured that we were wearing their familiar garb.

A couple of months earlier that year (2018) our Prime Minister was criticized in Canadian media for wearing a kurta in India, so we were a bit nervous about it.  The media implied that Trudeau had embarrassed Canada on the world stage.  The reaction of many of the passengers on the ship (the Nautica) was ... where did you get those outfits and where can I get them.  The Indian crew we spoke to did not understand why Trudeau was lambasted, they saw it as being respectful of their culture.

...and a small but important footnote to my earlier comparison of Oceania vs the Queen Mary 2...I was chuffed to little mint-balls (to quote Coronation Street's Bet Lynch) to find vegemite in the Queen Mary's breakfast buffet (King's Court), where the condiments are, near the omelette station.  You can ask for it in the breakfast restaurant associated with your room as well.  Who could ask for anything more?

Cheers, and pleased that this thread has sparked so many interesting comparisons, points and experiences,

Greg from the WildWanderers

• Like 5