Sapphire Princess May 11, 2024 Cruise Delayed - Propulsion Issues

34 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

Furthermore, Princess uses the dry docks in Portland OR, Victoria BC and Singapore for maintenance. Not southern Florida.

I think there's also a facility in Freeport, Bahamas that is used for ships in the Atlantic.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

I think there's also a facility in Freeport, Bahamas that is used for ships in the Atlantic.

Yes, it's used by Carnival. But I can't remember seeing a Princess ship there.

Edited by EDVM96

5 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

I doubt this will require a dry dock visit.

Usually, the technical problem is getting the exact replacement parts quickly, and not getting the ship out of the water. So stay calm. An unscheduled dry dock will certainly be the last option.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Joe Denver said:

My concern is that a serious propulsion issue may require significant maintenance at dry dock. Nearest facility is likely Victoria. So maybe Sapphire docks in Whittier and then treks slowly down to Victoria. A week or two in dry dock for maintenance. We could be looking at four cancelled weeks. That's exactly how Carnival ended up cancelling four cruises last year to fix propulsion issues and reposition itself. I suspect they will do a more thorough investigation upon arrival in Whittier. Anyone on this weekend's cruise from Whittier hear anything?

No word yet from Princess; we fly up on Thursday to meet the ship Saturday. feel like time is running out for them to notify anyone considering travel involved

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

There must be some place on the Atlantic or its close waters they use. I don't think Regal Princess or Sky Princess have left the Atlantic since going into service (Regal Princess was supposed to go to Australia but I do not believe that ever happened due to COVID).

2 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

There must be some place on the Atlantic or its close waters they use. I don't think Regal Princess or Sky Princess have left the Atlantic since going into service (Regal Princess was supposed to go to Australia but I do not believe that ever happened due to COVID).

Yes. It's Rotterdam. Sorry, forgot to mention it.

Just now, Greyhoundmom2006 said:

No word yet from Princess; we fly up on Thursday to meet the ship Saturday. feel like time is running out for them to notify anyone considering travel involved

What are you expecting? You will board the ship on Saturday, and you will sail.

What they will do in case is refund. That's about it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

I doubt this will require a dry dock visit

I suspect that many who use the term “dry dock” don’t understand the literal implications and really just mean time at a repair facility, wet or dry. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Joe Denver said:

My concern is that a serious propulsion issue may require significant maintenance at dry dock. Nearest facility is likely Victoria. So maybe Sapphire docks in Whittier and then treks slowly down to Victoria. A week or two in dry dock for maintenance. We could be looking at four cancelled weeks. That's exactly how Carnival ended up cancelling four cruises last year to fix propulsion issues and reposition itself. I suspect they will do a more thorough investigation upon arrival in Whittier. Anyone on this weekend's cruise from Whittier hear anything?

I am on the cruise out of Whittier and have had absolutely no information or notifications.  Even the online chat system seems to be down.  (no one responds right now).  I wish they would let us know in advance as then I would have time to make alternate arrangements.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I suspect that many who use the term “dry dock” don’t understand the literal implications and really just mean time at a repair facility, wet or dry. 

I agree. But we can educate since the lack of that knowledge causes speculation as above of limping the ship to Victoria (the nearest dry dock) to fix it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lstone19 said:

I agree. But we can educate since the lack of that knowledge causes speculation as above of limping the ship to Victoria (the nearest dry dock) to fix it.

Very true. 

4 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

Speaking for myself, I don't know any better but am learning quite a bit in this thread. Thanks to all with more knowledge or awareness of what's likely to happen. We board June 29th I believe after six days of land cruise.

• Like 1

To clarify, my discussion on board with a contractor was for a”dry dock” for interior work, not for the propulsion issue or anything else.  My asking him about the “dry dock” may have been technically incorrect and he didn’t bother with a correction, as he knew what I was asking (when the interior work would be done.). While I did see contractors measuring, of all things, the Trident grill counter, I think they are also looking at replacing some things that need height adjustments to better serve all passengers (some may be too tall for those in wheelchairs, as an example.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greyhoundmom2006 said:

We are in the same boat. No pun intended as I am not in a joking mood today. I just can’t believe all this. I’m stunned. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, that said:

@Boatharbour

Then your post is

Hearsay

I stated exactly how I came across the information and I have no reason to disbelieve the person who reported it. 
Your comment is unnecessarily blunt. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EDVM96 said:

Most Princess ships dry dock here in Portland Oregon

• Thanks 1

According to one of the "ship tracking sites" it looks like the Sapphire will soon be docking in Skagway.  Is there anymore news on the status of the propulsion issues/repairs?

Our cruise is supposed to depart Whittier on June 1st - 17 days away.  We are flying into Anchorage the day before (May 31st).  If Princess decides to cancel some of the upcoming cruises (including ours), it would be nice to know -  before our flight to Anchorage.

• Like 2

I didn't hear any announcements from the bridge last night,  not even to confirm we were all aboard and making preparations for Skagway, but maybe I missed it.

We have just arrived in Skagway though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, samsmith73 said:

I didn't hear any announcements from the bridge last night,  not even to confirm we were all aboard and making preparations for Skagway, but maybe I missed it.

We have just arrived in Skagway though!

On time?

1 minute ago, JJ_Outdoors said:

Yes, docked in Skagway this morning.  No additional updates beyond plan to depart Skagway today then begin adjusted schedule to Whittier to maintain on-time final destination arrival.

So are you missing something else on the way to Whittier?

On 5/13/2024 at 8:14 PM, tiller said:

The bathrooms still aren't working? I was on the Sapphire on the cruise before this and gave up on the public bathrooms on day 2. That should have been a sign the ship wasn't in good shape. I'm so sorry for everyone on your cruise. 

We also were on the cruise before this one that disembarked on the 11th in Vancouver. The bathroom in our cabin started having trouble on day three of the cruise. Also, the public bathrooms were awful. Most of them with only one working toilet and always a line up. I did not know at that point of the ships power issues, I just thought it was poor maintenance. Frustrating none the less. 
My point is, how long did they know something was wrong before they made the announcement?

• Like 2

For passengers on this current cruise - have the "nonworking" toilet issues been resolved (located in the individual cabins and the public areas)?

11 minutes ago, ernnnn said:

So are you missing something else on the way to Whittier?

Original Itinerary was:

5/11 Vancouver

5/12 At Sea

5/13 Ketchikan (skipped)

5/14 Juneau (late)

5/15 Skagway

5/16 Glacier Bay (cancelled)

5/17 College Fjord (cancelled)

5/18 Whittier

So looks like they cancelled Glacier Bay & College Fjord (last I heard) to let them get to Whittier on time....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, rjhollan said:

Original Itinerary was:

5/11 Vancouver

5/12 At Sea

5/13 Ketchikan (skipped)

5/14 Juneau (late)

5/15 Skagway

5/16 Glacier Bay (cancelled)

5/17 College Fjord (cancelled)

5/18 Whittier

So looks like they cancelled Glacier Bay & College Fjord (last I heard) to let them get to Whittier on time....

What a disaster... There is not enough compensation for that mess. We will sail on her on mid-August. Let's hope everything will be solved by then. And, if not, let's hope they say something well before for us to cancel the cruise and taking a new one. As we are travelling from Spain for this cruise, it is not just a simple cruise missed for us.

• Like 1