Other Cruise Lines now that Princess has made me sad

Posted (edited)

With Princess abandoning Australian/NZ cruisers by cutting the sailings down to the bare bones it has left me searching for alternative options.

I have always looked at Holland America itineraries and they seem to have some unique itineriaries. Maybe its time this Princess cruiser move or maybe considred another line.

Anyone else looking at alternative lines. 

I know I miss the Australian dollars that Princess offered out of Australia. However, I can adjust my spending accoringly. And I can't see myself crusing Carnival or PO. 

Edited by icat2000
  • Like 1

I started with Princess for my first cruise, then moved to HAL. There are some differences, but I enjoy cruising with HAL.  Agree some of their ports are different.

• Like 2

For me, the itineraries are key now as many other aspects of cruising has slipped or gone or just don't appeal so much anymore. Same shows same itineraries, etc. 

With that in mind, NCL, HAL and Azamara seem to have the better and much more varied itineraries. They are all in USD though.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I started with Princess for my first cruise, then moved to HAL. There are some differences, but I enjoy cruising with HAL.  Agree some of their ports are different.

I'm looking at a couple of cruises out of Singapore Dec/Jan. I have heard that HAL skews old but that doesn't bother me so much.

Posted (edited)

We have cruised on HAL 3 times and have Westerdam booked next Feb.

If I could compare HAL to anyone it would be Princess; smaller pinnacle and vista class ships (the older ones) that have promenade decks on older ships; dark wood and lovely artwork throughout ships, wonderful beds, showers over bath like PCL mini suites (which I don't mind) and fresh flowers everywhere.

Food was always good and crew very much like Princesses. 

Saying this, we have cruised on Zaandam, Noordam, Koningsdam and will be on Westerdam in '25.

"I'm looking at a couple of cruises out of Singapore Dec/Jan. I have heard that HAL skews old but that doesn't bother me so much."

Didn't find much difference in passenger demographics from Princess to be honest 😏

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

I'm looking at a couple of cruises out of Singapore Dec/Jan. I have heard that HAL skews old but that doesn't bother me so much.

It does and the shows are not as good as some other lines but the itineraries do tend to vary more.

• Like 1

What I find tempting with HAL, is the opportunity to do the Syd to Hawaii cruise now that Princess seems to have dropped this off their future cruising.

Yes, we would have to fly home, but it would tick a bucket list item. Either on the coming to Aus or returning to US itineraries.

Rose 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It does and the shows are not as good as some other lines but the itineraries do tend to vary more.

You are right there Mick.

We loved the Music Walk on HAL ships when we cruised before Covid. Choice of rock music,  blues, or classical - as well as their theatre shows, which you choose to go or not.

But, the Music Walk has been dropped 🥺 very sad.

Rose

Edited by Porky55

19 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

With Princess abandoning Australian/NZ cruisers by cutting the sailings down to the bare bones it has left me searching for alternative options.

I have always looked at Holland America itineraries and they seem to have some unique itineriaries. Maybe its time this Princess cruiser move or maybe considred another line.

Anyone else looking at alternative lines. 

we are also looking very seriously at Silverseas Australian itineraries 🤔

HAL is very comfortable, and what any Princess cruiser should be able to easily grow into. But then, there are no DAM ships in Melbourne either and they are operated by the same DAM company that took your Princess ship away.

Have you checked out NCL's offerings for next summer out of Melbourne? Quite a nice alternative if you can find a suitable itinerary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, icat2000 said:

I think HAL will start cutting itineraries also.

Carnival group are a bit behind in addressing the incoming emission laws. They have old ships that just won’t be viable in the near future.

Celebrity Edge will certainly impress and so will the price.

I have booked Norwegian out of Melbourne for Dec/Jan total of 29 nights.  Happy to give them a go although prices are all inclusive at the moment.  Not sure why we cannot take the drinks package off like they can in USA.

Will just have to see what comes along in future years and if the only ones from Melb are the expensive cruises then I will just have cut down on the number of cruises I take.

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

HAL is very comfortable, and what any Princess cruiser should be able to easily grow into. But then, there are no DAM ships in Melbourne either and they are operated by the same DAM company that took your Princess ship away.

Have you checked out NCL's offerings for next summer out of Melbourne? Quite a nice alternative if you can find a suitable itinerary.

Yeah the cruising in general is very skinny out of Melbourne. I looked at Azamara a couple of times. The one leaving Melbourne in JAn 2025 as well. Just cant pull trigger on anything at moment. So undecided.

We got Princess out of Melbourne in October. So once past final payment on that. Then I look at Xmas/NYE time. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Porky55 said:

we are also looking very seriously at Silverseas Australian itineraries 🤔

My budget doesn't quite stretch as far as Silverseas.

• Like 2

I found Celebrity and HAL very much alike. Up untill COVID I had cruised both  the same number of times. Since COVID it has been HAL due to better itineraries and Celebrity seeming to be charging higher prices in comparison.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

My point was you need to look further afield than domestic cruises for interesting itineraries.

The problem there being that if you are only, or mainly, interested in cruises, you end up effectively paying for two holidays. The cruise and an airfare/accommodation package that you don't really need.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

The problem there being that if you are only, or mainly, interested in cruises, you end up effectively paying for two holidays. The cruise and an airfare/accommodation package that you don't really need.

Yes, but if you want interesting itineraries then that is par for the course

• Like 6

On 5/13/2024 at 8:38 PM, MicCanberra said:

Yes, but if you want interesting itineraries then that is par for the course

You can't use the words "interesting itineraries" and " cruising around Australia" in the same sentence. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, bazzaw said:

You can't use the words "interesting itineraries" and " cruising around Australia" in the same sentence. 🙂 

Exactly, although if you want to go more luxury, you could find some on the smaller ships.

That's the reason we always spend 3-4 days pre and post cruise when we cruise os.

If I have to pay all that extra money on airfares we are going to make the best of it.

As we live in Adelaide even most of our OZ cruising costs us extra in airfares and hotels anyway.

Daz

• Like 7