Custom Birthday Cake

We will be celebrating my daughter's birthday on our cruise in June (Royal Princess, Voyage of the Glaciers). Her birthday is noted on our reservation, and I know they will bring a slice of cake and sing Happy Birthday in the MDR. That said, we have a large group (10 people), and my daughter has also requested an actual full-sized cake. Other than the few options I've seen that you can pre-order on the website (Coconut Confetti, Chocolate Mocha, & Vanilla Celebration cake), is it possible to order a more customized cake? Thank you in advance!! 

Just now, rvamama33 said:

We will be celebrating my daughter's birthday on our cruise in June (Royal Princess, Voyage of the Glaciers). Her birthday is noted on our reservation, and I know they will bring a slice of cake and sing Happy Birthday in the MDR. That said, we have a large group (10 people), and my daughter has also requested an actual full-sized cake. Other than the few options I've seen that you can pre-order on the website (Coconut Confetti, Chocolate Mocha, & Vanilla Celebration cake), is it possible to order a more customized cake? Thank you in advance!! 

You could always bring your own. If you're flying in, pick one up at a bakery the day before or the morning of the cruise.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, rvamama33 said:

They did put Happy Birthday Jim on the cake I pre ordered.

DH did not like the fondant icing. Taste like rubber! Lol

Very cute cake, though.

Anyway, if you have a few days, you might check with your head waiter and ask if a cake for 10 could be made, customized with name, etc.  Not sure how much they would accommodate you, but I bet they will try.

I requested lemon meringue cake for my bday and it was just for the two of us.  They did it and it was much better than that chocolate mousse cake. 

Normally, I don’t mention our celebrations because we don’t like all the mousse desserts. But, they asked me what I liked.

🥴

Edited by PacnGoNow

48 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You could always bring your own. If you're flying in, pick one up at a bakery the day before or the morning of the cruise.

Great idea!  If they allow you to bring food OB.  From US ports usually only pre packaged food is permitted.  Would be up to customs that day. 🥴

50 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Great idea!  If they allow you to bring food OB.  From US ports usually only pre packaged food is permitted.  Would be up to customs that day. 🥴

We've always brought food on in US ports. 

We have a lot of "we're gonna have to take that" jokes. 

Edited by startedwithamouse

7 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

We've always brought food on in US ports. 

We have a lot of "we're gonna have to take that" jokes. 

Yes, I bet they do! Lol.  Just quoting the rules. Security does their own thing. But, Princess does say only pre packaged foods such as snacks and food bars. 

I believe I have seen in the cases where they display the multilayer dessert cakes included with the Plus benefit, that they have some shown with special messages. You may be able to buy one of those cakes and request a special birthday message. Just something about which it might be worthwhile to inquire.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes, I bet they do! Lol.  Just quoting the rules. Security does their own thing. But, Princess does say only pre packaged foods such as snacks and food bars. 

To bring on the ship?  Odd.

6 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

To bring on the ship?  Odd.

Of course, we know it’s subjective with some ports.

When we traveled with children, they were much more lenient.

Q & A 

May I bring my own food on a Princess cruise? The only food that Princess always permits onboard is pre-packaged items, such as breakfast bars or snacks. Most fresh food is subject to customs restrictions and is highly discouraged

1 hour ago, rvamama33 said:

Her birthday is noted on our reservation, and I know they will bring a slice of cake and sing Happy Birthday in the MDR.

Make sure to remind the Dining Manager of the occasion.  There's been a few cases that have been reported on this board of forgotten occasions.  

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

We bring food on all the time, never even questioned.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

This is a great idea - only thing is, her birthday is the final night of the 7 day cruise. The cake would likely not be very fresh by that point, I suppose 😞

Somewhat related topic: my birthday is noted in our “celebrations.” I don’t want anyone singing to me in the dining room! Do they do that automatically? Should I remove the celebration? 

Apparently you can order custom cakes -- I just saw this posted on another forum. The cruisers are upset because they were supposed to get a 'congratulations' cake for their honeymoon but were delivered someone else's custom birthday cake. 

To add insult to injury their honeymoon appears to be on the Sapphire which has turned into a cruise to nowhere. 

Screenshot_20240514_092118_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, buckeye7 said:

Somewhat related topic: my birthday is noted in our “celebrations.” I don’t want anyone singing to me in the dining room! Do they do that automatically? Should I remove the celebration? 

We just tell our waiter the night of the celebration...no singing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

We bring food on all the time, never even questioned.

Just don't bring attention to it and most time they won't either. 

On another note, most Princess cakes taste similar with only a few exceptions.

Don't know how old your daughter is or even if Princess still does this, but they used to have a Junior Chef program (my daughter did this on two different cruises) where there were each given full sized cakes and then were free to decorate with whatever icing toppings, etc. they wanted. My daughter really like it and Princess delivered the finished cake to our cabin. It could be sort of cool for her to decorate her own cake, etc. (if Princess still does this). 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

Don't know how old your daughter is or even if Princess still does this, but they used to have a Junior Chef program (my daughter did this on two different cruises) where there were each given full sized cakes and then were free to decorate with whatever icing toppings, etc. they wanted. My daughter really like it and Princess delivered the finished cake to our cabin. It could be sort of cool for her to decorate her own cake, etc. (if Princess still does this). 

This was a great program! One of the favorite things my daughter ever did on one of our cruises. What a good suggestion - I hope they are still offering it. So much changed after COVID, but it would be wonderful if they brought it back. 

OP, you don’t mention your daughters’s age, but if she happens to be in the Kids Club demographic and you are interested in this, be sure to inquire the first day when you sign her up as space was always very limited and it was first come, first serve. I believe they allowed 10 kids. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rvamama33 said:

This is a great idea - only thing is, her birthday is the final night of the 7 day cruise. The cake would likely not be very fresh by that point, I suppose 😞

Maybe pick one up at the last port? (Assuming you can do that.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

This was a great program! One of the favorite things my daughter ever did on one of our cruises. What a good suggestion - I hope they are still offering it. So much changed after COVID, but it would be wonderful if they brought it back. 

OP, you don’t mention your daughters’s age, but if she happens to be in the Kids Club demographic and you are interested in this, be sure to inquire the first day when you sign her up as space was always very limited and it was first come, first serve. I believe they allowed 10 kids. 

This sounds amazing! My daughter will be turning 8 (so I guess she'll be in the kids club that's age 3-7...). She loves to bake with me at home 🙂 This will be the first time I don't make her birthday cake myself! 

12 minutes ago, rvamama33 said:

This sounds amazing! My daughter will be turning 8 (so I guess she'll be in the kids club that's age 3-7...). She loves to bake with me at home 🙂 This will be the first time I don't make her birthday cake myself! 

I think my daughter was 8  or 9 when she did it. They take the group of kids down to an area of the kitchen that has been prepared with a station for each child and each one gets a hat and apron that they get to keep. They each get to bring one parent to watch.

Their stations are set up with their cakes, cut in two layers and all of the frosting, fillings, and toppings. The pastry chef does a brief demo for the kids on how to decorate the cakes and then they get to make their own creations using the materials provided. My daughter ended up making the most beautiful cake using mostly the chocolates and cherries provided along with frosting and some of the other decorative elements. It was reminiscent of a black forest cake. When the children finish, they each get a photo with the chef holding their cake, and then the cakes are taken to the pantry with your child's name and stateroom number so you can request that your waiter deliver it to your table that evening for dessert. 

Of course there was a charge for this, but so well worth it. She was beaming with pride when they presented her cake to all of us at our table that night. Just a super program - called Jr. Chef. I do hope they are offering on your ship!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

I think my daughter was 8  or 9 when she did it. They take the group of kids down to an area of the kitchen that has been prepared with a station for each child and each one gets a hat and apron that they get to keep. They each get to bring one parent to watch.

Their stations are set up with their cakes, cut in two layers and all of the frosting, fillings, and toppings. The pastry chef does a brief demo for the kids on how to decorate the cakes and then they get to make their own creations using the materials provided. My daughter ended up making the most beautiful cake using mostly the chocolates and cherries provided along with frosting and some of the other decorative elements. It was reminiscent of a black forest cake. When the children finish, they each get a photo with the chef holding their cake, and then the cakes are taken to the pantry with your child's name and stateroom number so you can request that your waiter deliver it to your table that evening for dessert. 

Of course there was a charge for this, but so well worth it. She was beaming with pride when they presented her cake to all of us at our table that night. Just a super program - called Jr. Chef. I do hope they are offering on your ship!

That sounds SO cool!! I hope they still do it and that my daughter is old enough!