new to Norwegian - considering GEM

I think we've sailed every major cruiseline except Norwegian!

What should I expect to be different compared to Royal/Celebrity.

Food, Entertainment, Service - compared to other lines.

Is there anything I should know about booking my a cruise with NCL?

• Like 1

I personally love the Jewel class ships.  It depends on what you like.

NCL is very much "freestyle".  You never need to "dress up" although there is usually one or two specialty restaurants on most ships that do require collared shirt for men and slacks or nice jeans.  No set dining times or tables.

😞 You can't bring soft drinks or bottled water on board (except at ports in Hawaii).

• Like 2

the gem is an older, smaller ship. it's a good, very well-maintained and well-run ship, but it is older... but it has been refurbished. if an older, smaller ship appeals to you... you may like it. but it doesn't really give you a taste of what NCL has been up to in the last five or ten years.

• Like 1

@Queen of Oakville The Gem is our favorite ship across all cruise ships / lines. We love smaller ships in general, but the Gem just has a particular charm about it. It is small enough to enjoy every one of the specialty restaurants. You never feel too crowded in the buffets or dining rooms, and the crew just are some of the lovely folks we’ve met on any ship across any cruise line.

You can see from my signature that we’ve been on her many times, and going back to Bermuda on her out of Boston in about a month.

Yes, we’ve seen all the shows a few times, but they do bring guest performances on board for every sailing. The activities on board are fun as well… Because it’s a small ship, you actually get quite a friendly competition for the quizzes, etc.

It does not have a lot of bells and whistles, and if that is your sort of thing is probably not the ship for you. She is also showing a bit of wear And has not as many of the technological advancements as the newest ships in the NCL fleet. But we have wonderful grand adventures for our entire family on this lovely vessel - even without fancy bracelets, electronic elevator, shafts, and interactive, sci-fi arcade games.

As much as we appreciate the Havens on the bigger ships, I truly think this ship has the best Haven of them all. It is small enough to feel crowded, has a wonderful, indoor enclosed swimming pool, which is perfect for winter months to just enjoy, and incredible personalized attention.

I encourage you to try this lovely “gem” of a vessel!

Warmest, amy

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Queen of Oakville said:

I think we've sailed every major cruiseline except Norwegian!

What should I expect to be different compared to Royal/Celebrity.

Food, Entertainment, Service - compared to other lines.

Is there anything I should know about booking my a cruise with NCL?

My wife and I love the Jewel class ships and love the Gem. Will be sailing her in 45 days for the 4th time. The Haven is small and not worth it to us, however the Suites are just as nice with almost all the same perks. The Gem doesn't have go carts, water slides or a lot of other things the larger ships do.... and thats OK with us. We have always found service and food very good across all the NCL ships

• Like 3

If you are looking for a newer ship with bells, whistles, water slides, etc you may be disappointed with the Gem.  The Gem is a very good traditional cruise ship though.  Not too big.  Not too small.  Traditional theater and outdoor spaces.  Love it having 2 pools on the pool deck. Some use the word "traditional" in a negative sense with cruise ships.  However it can also be a positive and a compliment.  I am longing for another cruise on a jewel class ship.

• Like 4

Gem was our very first NCL cruise, which was in September 2021. I would say, however, that (at least for us) Gem doesn't feel like a "small" ship. It's not as big as the biggest RCCL ship, but that isn't to say it's small. I suppose terms like big and small are subjective, anyway. But it was plenty big for us. We loved it and would book it again without question.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Gem doesn't feel like a "small" ship. It's not as big as the biggest RCCL ship, but that isn't to say it's small. I suppose terms like big and small are subjective, anyway. But it was plenty big for us. We loved it and would book it again without question.

That is exactly our thought on the Jade (Gem's sister). While technically a "smaller" ship, it never felt small while roaming the hallways. In the words of one of the Three Bears, the size of the Jewel class ships could be described as "just right".

• Like 4

I priced out the Gem sailing from boston and it was not cheap.  Have to admit I got a bit of sticker shock.  Especially the gratuities on the beverage plan.  I tihnk when we've had beverage plans before the gratuities were not as high . I tihnk the beverages were comped at $1,400 and the beverage gratuities were charged at 891.  We're not huge drinkers and would never spend that much.  I think I read somewhere that you could pass on the "free" beverage plan.  That might make sense for us to pay as we go.

I have two teens - 18 and 17, so we are either looking at two cabins or a suite.  

I'm not clear on Haven - I think that is just a larger suite, is that correct?  when my kids were younger, they loved HAL and Celebrity.  but they also loved our recent cruises Oasis and Symphony.  

I was trying to avoid a flight to Florida, so I figured if we could drive to Boston or NJ - it made sense and we have never been to Bermuda.

lots to think about ~ thank you to all who responded.

• Like 2

There are a few non haven suites.  Most of the haven perks, just that you can't use the haven pool area and sundeck.  Still priority embark and disembark, butler and concierge, and (my favorite) breakfast and lunch in Moderno's/Cagney's.

• Like 3

Haven suites are way more expensive than 2 balcony cabins. The gratuity on the UBP is $21 pp pd. If you drink more than one alcoholic drink a day, you are on the financial winning end. I personally love the Gem, spinnakers lounge and the great outdoors are my favorite spots.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Queen of Oakville said:

I priced out the Gem sailing from boston and it was not cheap.  Have to admit I got a bit of sticker shock.  Especially the gratuities on the beverage plan.  I tihnk when we've had beverage plans before the gratuities were not as high . I tihnk the beverages were comped at $1,400 and the beverage gratuities were charged at 891.  We're not huge drinkers and would never spend that much.  I think I read somewhere that you could pass on the "free" beverage plan.  That might make sense for us to pay as we go.

I have two teens - 18 and 17, so we are either looking at two cabins or a suite.  

I'm not clear on Haven - I think that is just a larger suite, is that correct?  when my kids were younger, they loved HAL and Celebrity.  but they also loved our recent cruises Oasis and Symphony.  

I was trying to avoid a flight to Florida, so I figured if we could drive to Boston or NJ - it made sense and we have never been to Bermuda.

The Haven cabins on the Gem come in a number of sizes. From a one bedroom all the way up to a 3 bedroom. Our forward (non Haven suite on the Gem for the June 28th sailing was $6200 all in with the beverage package, taxes etc... 

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Haven suites are way more expensive than 2 balcony cabins. The gratuity on the UBP is $21 pp pd. If you drink more than one alcoholic drink a day, you are on the financial winning end. I personally love the Gem, spinnakers lounge and the great outdoors are my favorite spots.

The amount quoted to me was 871 or 891 - there are four of us. There is no way we would consume 891 in drink costs (yeah,I know it can add up) let alone spend 891 in gratuities.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Queen of Oakville said:

The amount quoted to me was 871 or 891 - there are four of us. There is no way we would consume 891 in drink costs (yeah,I know it can add up) let alone spend 891 in gratuities.

For 4 people to rack up $891 in gratuities would be $222.75 each, therefore I'm guessing your cruise is 10 days long ($21/day x 4 people x 10 days)? As someone else said, if each of you has 2 drinks in a day, you're going to spend that, anyway. Actually, even nonalcoholic drinks could cost you $21/day (remember that if you buy any drink onboard, including soda, you'll still have to pay 20% gratuity). You mentioned that you have two teens with you, but they won't have to buy the beverage package. Is there another couple joining you? I always think it's a good idea when someone has, as you put it, "sticker shock," to keep in mind what you might actually drink over the course of your cruise. If you don't drink alcohol, keep sodas to a minimum, don't have fancy coffee drinks and then just stick to water, free coffee and tea, then yes, by all means drop the unlimited beverage package. But for many people, the $21/day in gratuities is actually cheap compared to other lines that may charge you $50, $75, etc per day.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Queen of Oakville said:

The gratuities are being estimated as if everyone in the cabin is 21+.  Once you enter the birthdates of your teens, the gratuities will be adjusted.  If you get two cabins, they will get the soda package as a replacement.  The gratuities for that package are $1.99 per person per day compared to $21.80 pppd for the adult package.  If you have all four of you in one cabin, they do not get the soda package and there is no additional charge beyond the adult drink package.

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

The gratuities are being estimated as if everyone in the cabin is 21+.  Once you enter the birthdates of your teens, the gratuities will be adjusted.  If you get two cabins, they will get the soda package as a replacement.  The gratuities for that package are $1.99 per person per day compared to $21.80 pppd for the adult package.  If you have all four of you in one cabin, they do not get the soda package and there is no additional charge beyond the adult drink package.

I was thinking that, too, but OP said she was quoted $891 for 4 people, which seemed to imply 4 adults. I agree with you, having two teens wouldn't cost you $21 pppd, only $1.99. Something's off in the math.

21 hours ago, Queen of Oakville said:

We are driving from NY to Boston this summer, cruising the Gem in a Garden Villa. 

Haven is a lot more than a larger suite. 
In terms of larger suites, the 2 bedroom comfortably sleeps 4-5 people, and is sometimes cheaper than booking 2 balcony cabins.  

In terms of perks:

- there is a small private covered pool on top of the ship just for haven guests, including a hot tub and sauna. There will typically be snacks in that courtyard through the day.

In the Gem, haven guests get a separate dining room for breakfast and lunch, a bit better quality than the main dining room. 

Haven guests get butler and concierge service. That includes priority boarding, tendering, etc. 

If you’re in an owners suite or Garden Villa, bar setup is included.  (3 bottles in an Owners Suite, 6 bottles in a Garden Villa; unlimited soda and mixers). 

On newer ships, Haven is “ship within a ship”— private lounge, restaurant, bar.  On the Gem, the literal “Haven” is smaller— courtyard, small pool, hot tub and steam room. But you do get the better dining for breakfast and lunch, and you receive a bit of VIP treatment throughout.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

We are driving from NY to Boston this summer, cruising the Gem in a Garden Villa. 

Haven is a lot more than a larger suite. 
In terms of larger suites, the 2 bedroom comfortably sleeps 4-5 people, and is sometimes cheaper than booking 2 balcony cabins.  

In terms of perks:

- there is a small private covered pool on top of the ship just for haven guests, including a hot tub and sauna. There will typically be snacks in that courtyard through the day.

In the Gem, haven guests get a separate dining room for breakfast and lunch, a bit better quality than the main dining room. 

Haven guests get butler and concierge service. That includes priority boarding, tendering, etc. 

If you’re in an owners suite or Garden Villa, bar setup is included.  (3 bottles in an Owners Suite, 6 bottles in a Garden Villa; unlimited soda and mixers). 

On newer ships, Haven is “ship within a ship”— private lounge, restaurant, bar.  On the Gem, the literal “Haven” is smaller— courtyard, small pool, hot tub and steam room. But you do get the better dining for breakfast and lunch, and you receive a bit of VIP treatment throughout.  

True but you are forgetting one thing. Suite guest on the Gem get the same perks as the Haven guest (24? suite cabins). With the exception of the use of the Haven courtyard and sundeck. Breakfast, lunch, butler, concierge all the same. Our forward suite cabin was 3K less than the cheapest Haven cabin at time of booking. The Haven on the Gem for us wasn't even close to worth considering booking because of the price difference. Maybe on one of the away class ships it would have been

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

True but you are forgetting one thing. Suite guest on the Gem get the same perks as the Haven guest (24? suite cabins). With the exception of the use of the Haven courtyard and sundeck. Breakfast, lunch, butler, concierge all the same. Our forward suite cabin was 3K less than the cheapest Haven cabin at time of booking. The Haven on the Gem for us wasn't even close to worth considering booking because of the price difference. Maybe on one of the away class ships it would have been

Yes.  I was comparing Haven/suite to non-suite altogether. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2024 at 7:03 PM, Liljo22 said:

That makes sense,  I was looking at two cabins but had not put in our ages yet, well, exxcept for mine, and saw that I had a senior discount, and then had a mini meltdown 😂.

We are not soda drinkers.  on X and Royal, the kid use their drink packages for smoothies, and coffee drinks.  DH prefers the water package or non-aclohol package.  He's happy drinking water all week.  I'm the alkie in the family.  Does NCL force both adults int he cabin to get the drinks package? 

27 minutes ago, Queen of Oakville said:

That makes sense,  I was looking at two cabins but had not put in our ages yet, well, exxcept for mine, and saw that I had a senior discount, and then had a mini meltdown 😂.

We are not soda drinkers.  on X and Royal, the kid use their drink packages for smoothies, and coffee drinks.  DH prefers the water package or non-aclohol package.  He's happy drinking water all week.  I'm the alkie in the family.  Does NCL force both adults int he cabin to get the drinks package? 

31 minutes ago, Queen of Oakville said:

Just put you and a child in one cabin, spouse and child in the other, get the drink package for your cabin.

• Like 1