What should a first-time cruiser pack for Alaska?

What should a first-time cruiser pack for Alaska?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. What 3 items would you tell first-time Alaska cruisers to pack?

• Layers
    • Binoculars
    • Rain Gear
    • Hiking Boots
    • Insect Repellent
    • Sunscreen
    • Good Photo Gear
    • Motion-Sickness Medicine
    • Collapsable, Easy-to-Pack Day Bag or Backpack
    • Something Else (Please let us know in 2-3 sentences)

To help our fellow cruisers out, Cruise Critic wants to hear what you think are the three most important things a person cruising to Alaska for the first time must bring with them. None of the options match your advice? Feel free to tell us your own special what-to-pack advice. 

• Like 1

• LauraS pinned this topic
  • Administrators

Sunglasses!!

Ocean sun and "glacier" glare!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Fancy photogear is not needed, since phones do such a good job with pictures now, Bring a power pack to stay charged. Unless you plan to do advanced  hiking, good comfortable sneakers are enough, spray them with waterproofing. 

Edited by simplelife
  • Like 5

Rain gear also included in layers. Binoculars because I have poor enough eyesight that I can use the help. Sunscreen (and I include sunglasses as a sunscreen) due to past experience with skin cancer.

If I'm doing a glacier excursion (actually trekking on it), I'd pack hiking boots. But shoes with a good tread would be good otherwise.

• Like 1

As a first-time cruiser this July, I'm finding this list and conversation super helpful. Thank you!  

Re. insect repellent.  Is that mainly for excursions or also needed on the cruise ship?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DCJP said:

As a first-time cruiser this July, I'm finding this list and conversation super helpful. Thank you!  

Re. insect repellent.  Is that mainly for excursions or also needed on the cruise ship?

I've never needed/used repellent on the ship (1 Alaska cruise, about 12 tropical).

• Like 2

I have been to Alaska 5 times over the years and never once brought insect repellent and I don't remember ever needing it.

• Like 1

Can't overstate the value of a lightweight waterproof layer that can be easily rolled (or packed into it's own zip case) and popped into day bag/knapsack. For places known to have weather (or quirky weather) it will come in handy more often than not. Add a foldable bucket had if the rain layer doesn't have a hood. 

• Like 1

If you need any layers, rain gear, binoculars, headlamps (I pack one for EVERY trip I take!!):

REI is having their annual Anniversary Sale right now.  25-40% off on many, many items.  Even on daybacks, rolling luggage, sling bags.  I spent a bit last year just replenishing things for my Alaska trip and got back a $70 dividend for this year (membership is cool!).  Just used it to pick up some miscellaneous items (hiking staff, new small lamp (very useful on the balcony at night)).   

I say headlamp because:  frees your hands in case of emergency, easy to slip on to use to read if your partner wants to sleep, quick to use to walk to the bathroom. I used to be a small flashlight person, but I was converted to the headlamp after walking my dog when I got home from work at 11:30pm and also having to use unlit portapotties in some campgrounds.  

• Like 1

A hat. Definitely a hat. Works for sun protection, glare protection, and rain protection. Don't leave home without it.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 11:03 AM, Lois R said:

I have been to Alaska 5 times over the years and never once brought insect repellent and I don't remember ever needing it.

J definitely needed insect repellent for several days in and around Denali on a Memorial Day weekend. The mosquitoes were out for blood.

Didn't need it for briefer shore excursions during a similar time period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First off, pack layers of clothing. The weather up there can change in a heartbeat, so having thermal shirts, fleece jackets, and a good waterproof jacket will keep you comfortable no matter what. A good pair of binoculars is a must, you don't want to miss spotting whales or eagles. Finally, make sure you have waterproof footwear. Whether you're exploring glaciers or just walking around port towns, you'll want to keep your feet dry.