Which airport to fly into for Brooklyn NY Queen Mary 2?

Booking a cruise for next summer, and we are planning on flying in the day before and staying at a hotel near the Brooklyn cruise port.

We don't intend to do a post cruise night there. We'd rather just go directly to the airport to fly home later in the day.

Which NYC area airport has worked out the best for you? I'm really not familiar with them enough to say which is better or worse.

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

We do LGA , JFK or EWR all based on current prefered airline , flight schedule and airfares.

Then chose an airport hotel brand with airport shuttle ,that you prefer (check current reviews).

In the morning take Uber , Taxi etc. to the Ship.

I believe LGA is the closest not by much ,but we often use EWR because of prefered airline , flight schedule and airfare.

Edited by MCC retired

Cunard are able to get you a good flight to a suitable airport at a reasonable price.  One way Transatlantic fares tend to be a bit inflated if you try to book one independently from the UK..  Cunard use scheduled carriers and will book you on any day one, two, three or more days ahead of sail date. They will also book hotels if you wish or you may do so independently.

Regards John

Posted (edited)

The newish TWA Hotel at JFK might be a reasonable choice.  They also have day rooms if you need one post-cruise.  Easy to get a ride share or taxi from there since it is at the airport.  Or, if you are slightly adventurous, stay at any hotel on Wall Street and just take the ferry over to Red Hook the day of disembarkation.  

Edited by stan01
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have usually flown into JFK when sailing from Brooklyn, all arranged by Cunard. So very disappointed with facilities at the airport, was expecting something similar to Heathrow as a similar International airport.Will use one of the other two airports next time.

Thanks everyone. I know I can lean on Cunard but I do prefer to set our own pre/post travel up. 

I was sort of looking for a general warning for/against one or the other. Seems like a wash in most respects by the responses here.

We're coming from FL, so I'll use whichever airport gets me cheaper flights. 

There are actually some pretty decent hotels nearby, as seen in this recently posted vidya.

I always fly into LaGuardia if  cruising to Manhattan or Brooklyn . I personally prefer staying in midtown Manhattan for all the restaurants and entertainment in walking distance. If you want something closer I would get hotel in lower Manhattan, Wall Street area , still some nice bars and restaurants along with World Trade Center museums, etc . Close taxi or Uber over Brooklyn bridge to Brooklyn dock.

15 hours ago, CruisyGator said:

Thanks everyone. I know I can lean on Cunard but I do prefer to set our own pre/post travel up. 

I was sort of looking for a general warning for/against one or the other. Seems like a wash in most respects by the responses here.

We're coming from FL, so I'll use whichever airport gets me cheaper flights. 

There are actually some pretty decent hotels nearby, as seen in this recently posted vidya.

While a flight to EWR might be cheaper, you should consider the much higher ground transfer cost from EWR to Brooklyn.   Also, the closest hotels to Brooklyn Cruise port are in lower Manhattan.

17 hours ago, Millieloulou said:

We have usually flown into JFK when sailing from Brooklyn, all arranged by Cunard. So very disappointed with facilities at the airport, was expecting something similar to Heathrow as a similar International airport.Will use one of the other two airports next time.

Newark isn’t any better (although they just redid terminal A and it has good reviews).

Posted (edited)

Newark has always been one of the worst airports in the country for delays.

I would consider it only as a very last resort.

I'm between LaGuardia and JFK at this point.

Edited by CruisyGator

That video feels off to me.  Sponsored, maybe? Or just an odd viewpoint?   I'd ask on TripAdvisor for hotel options.

We were early landing in EWR last month.

As the others said, if one of the three airports, including EWR, saves you enough money (I'd say "more than $150", but your tolerance may vary, I'd pick that one, assuming the times work for your needs.

Use a Car service like Dial 7 or Carmel to lock in pricing and not have to worry about tolls and other fees.