Niagara Falls, AMTRAK etc

Hi, we are looking to book a special cruise for my daughters 21st in October.  Icon is way too expensive right now so looking at Symphony of the Seas and am wondering if anyone here has done the Niagara Falls, AMTRAK to New York etc on Symphony of the Seas.  Would you recommend it?

1 minute ago, Another_Critic said:

Maybe this is a UK specific pre-cruise excursion?

Except that it would also then require transportation from NYC to FLL to board the ship.  But if one is arriving from the UK by way of NYC, your thoughts could be correct.  Maybe the OP can clarify.

Posted (edited)

Nope. Symphony is doing sailings from Port Liberty to Bahamas in October, but calls at Port Canaveral on the way there. 

It's a reasonable but weird set of sailings. 

The only recommendation I have for OP is to remember that the only train that you can get with time to get from New York Penn Station to Port Liberty same day (Empire Service) is scheduled to leave Niagara Falls at 3:45 AM and arrives at Penn Station at 12:45, which is only probably okay to make it to the port on time, because trains sometimes run late. Another train (Maple Leaf) runs at a more reasonable departure (just before noon) but gets into Penn at about 9 PM and you've got 12 hours to kill before even thinking of leaving for the Port. 

Edited by hellsop

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hellsop said:

Nope. Symphony is doing sailings from Port Liberty to Bahamas in October, but calls at Port Canaveral on the way there. 

My mistake and good catch.  The FL departures don't start until November from MIA.  Also similar itineraries as Anthem from Port Liberty.

That certainly clarifies the OP's question.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, hellsop said:

That has been the normal itinerary for O and Q class 7 or 8 day sailings from Cape Liberty.

Edited by Biker19

I don't see why you couldn't do this. It's about a 7 hour train ride, do it the day before and stay in a hotel near the port.

Apologies everyone, yes we are from the UK.   The RC itinerary is:

Fly to Niagara with 2 night stay in a Niagara hotel,

AMTRAK niagara to New York with 2 night stay in New York hotel

Cruise to Orlando, perfect day at Cococay, Nassau

Fly home

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, miaandmum said:

Fly home

Thoughts on your itinerary: 

- Be sure to price New York hotels ahead of time.  They're quite pricey.  

- CocoCay is wonderful, but Nassau is a pit.  We've agreed we'll only get off the ship in Nassau if we choose an excursion that leaves from the dock.  We're not going into the city again.  

- Are you saying you'll fly out of Orlando?  If so, know that the port is a solid hour away from the airport.  Plenty of shuttles run between the two, but you'll need to reserve seats.  

We've taken the train (not to a cruise) a couple times.  Specifics:  

- I've had good experiences on the train, and I've met interesting people ... we did see one guy board carrying a push mower over one shoulder.  Once we met a group of Amish ladies who were super-nice. 

- The price tends to be reasonable. 

- The schedule can be a bit wonky ... by wonky, I mean late.  Since you're going to be in NY for two days ahead of time, you'll be safe ... even if your train is late.  

- Amtrak's seats are comfortable /larger than an airplane, and you'll each have an electrical outlet.  You'll have space above your seat to stash a backpack or tote bag. 

- At the front of each car is a big shelf where you can stash your suitcases.  If you think you'll leave your seats at the same time, I'd bring along a bicycle chain to secure your suitcases to the shelves.  

- At the front of each car is a water-filler.  Useful only if you've brought your own cup or bottle.  

- Food in the cafe is very expensive and not good ... think $12 for a frozen burger, which the cafe lady'll microwave for you.  I'd plan to purchase sodas and ice ... but pick up sandwiches and snacks a-plenty before you leave New York.  

- If you board first thing in the morning, the bathrooms'll be clean, but that'll change as the trip progresses.  I suggest you bring a canister of Clorox Wipes.  Another hint:  As your trip progresses and more passengers board, the porters will open more and more cars (towards the back of the train).  You can go back to those newly-opened cars and use fresh bathrooms.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 3

Amtrak is not very reliable.  Expect delays and possible cancellations.  

In the U.S. the freight companies own the tracks but have to provide access to Amtrak.  However they don't have to give priority to Amtrak and they don't.  Passenger rail services in the U.S. are nothing like Europe/UK.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

- CocoCay is wonderful, but Nassau is a pit.  We've agreed we'll only get off the ship in Nassau if we choose an excursion that leaves from the dock.  We're not going into the city again.  

Thats an interesting comment about Nassau and all opinions of course.

We are from the UK and have been to Nassau a few times now and have noticed most US folks feel the same and refuse to leave the ship. I can only assume that the US accent attracts more 'interest' from the locals.

The last time we were there, as a family we spent the day on our own at Junkanoo beach and had a great time and its been the same when we have spent the day around town and we have always enjoyed it.  I'd be lying if I said there has never been any confrontation but some choice words have easily dealt with things.

We didn't though enjoy Niagara Falls, the OP's plan. The falls and boat trip were great but we didnt like the town on either side, its all options I guess 🙂

Edited by Tin can

Thank you so much for all the comments and advice they are really appreciated and we now have a clearer insight.  

Daughter wanted to do Icon for her 21st - 17 days Eastern and Western Caribbean - sadly not going to happen this year unless there are significant price reductions.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, twangster said:

Amtrak is not very reliable.  Expect delays and possible cancellations.  

In the U.S. the freight companies own the tracks but have to provide access to Amtrak.  However they don't have to give priority to Amtrak and they don't.  Passenger rail services in the U.S. are nothing like Europe/UK.  

I wouldn't say they're unreliable.  I would say they're chronically behind, but we're talking about 30 minutes - a couple hours ... saying "unreliable" sounds like they aren't going to show up at all.  

The worst experience I had with Amtrak:  We took a group of about 40 Girl Scouts from the Carolinas to Washington DC.  The night before our return trip, something happened to the tracks -- I don't remember what.  Amtrak took us as far as we could, then we were met by Grayhound busses, which took us around the problem area, then we re-boarded the train, which took us all the way home.  We were about 30 minutes late.  I thought, given that they could not repair the tracks in a day, they took great care of us. 

7 hours ago, Tin can said:

Thats an interesting comment about Nassau and all opinions of course.

We are from the UK and have been to Nassau a few times now and have noticed most US folks feel the same and refuse to leave the ship. I can only assume that the US accent attracts more 'interest' from the locals.

It's not our accent.  And judging from the crowds, I don't think "most" Americans are staying on the ship ... perhaps more Americans choose to stay onboard as compared to other nationalities.  

We first visited Nassau on our very first cruise (20 years ago?), and we were put off by the aggressive people at the port -- but it wasn't enough to make us say we wouldn't go back.  Last time we were in Nassau -- maybe two years ago? -- we genuinely felt unsafe and said NO MORE.  They're such a big port now, and I think 6-8 big ships were docked that day.  Getting into the city was incredibly crowded, and people were pushing and shoving -- that's where we felt unsafe.  We didn't even leave in the big crush of people as soon as the ship docked -- we slept in and ate a big breakfast.  My husband has some mobility issues, and if he had fallen, we could've been trampled.  Once we were in the city /on the streets, it was still incredibly crowded, and -- after all that -- we didn't really see anything that interested us.  

We would take an excursion that left from the docks -- something like the Junk-a-something beach that was mentioned -- but we aren't going into Nassau again.  Incidentally, we don't feel this way about any other island.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

40 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I wouldn't say they're unreliable.  I would say they're chronically behind, but we're talking about 30 minutes - a couple hours ... saying "unreliable" sounds like they aren't going to show up at all.  

The worst experience I had with Amtrak:  We took a group of about 40 Girl Scouts from the Carolinas to Washington DC.  The night before our return trip, something happened to the tracks -- I don't remember what.  Amtrak took us as far as we could, then we were met by Grayhound busses, which took us around the problem area, then we re-boarded the train, which took us all the way home.  We were about 30 minutes late.  I thought, given that they could not repair the tracks in a day, they took great care of us. 

It's not our accent.  And judging from the crowds, I don't think "most" Americans are staying on the ship ... perhaps more Americans choose to stay onboard as compared to other nationalities.  

We first visited Nassau on our very first cruise (20 years ago?), and we were put off by the aggressive people at the port -- but it wasn't enough to make us say we wouldn't go back.  Last time we were in Nassau -- maybe two years ago? -- we genuinely felt unsafe and said NO MORE.  They're such a big port now, and I think 6-8 big ships were docked that day.  Getting into the city was incredibly crowded, and people were pushing and shoving -- that's where we felt unsafe.  We didn't even leave in the big crush of people as soon as the ship docked -- we slept in and ate a big breakfast.  My husband has some mobility issues, and if he had fallen, we could've been trampled.  Once we were in the city /on the streets, it was still incredibly crowded, and -- after all that -- we didn't really see anything that interested us.  

We would take an excursion that left from the docks -- something like the Junk-a-something beach that was mentioned -- but we aren't going into Nassau again.  Incidentally, we don't feel this way about any other island.  

Junkanoo isn’t an excursion, just a local beach that’s easy to walk to. I don’t think I could do a 10 train from Niagara. I suggesting flying to nyc and spending a couple of nights before the cruise (you can probably get better hotel rates).

13 hours ago, miaandmum said:

Fly home

You may have already looked into this, but coming from Europe there are two primary ways to get into the Buffalo/Niagara area:

- Fly to Toronto and drive (potentially train) down to Niagara Falls

- Transfer through a US hub and into Buffalo

The Buffalo/Niagara (BUF) airport is not very large and does not have international flights to/from Europe.

For price, which is cheaper varies.  I've needed to do both for work; drive up to Toronto to catch a flight, or do something like Buffalo --> Detroit (or Newark, or JFK, or DC) --> Europe.

Flying through Toronto usually lets you get a direct flight (I think either Heathrow or Gatwick has flights?) but you need to drive down (usually ~ 2 hours).  If you're going to stay on the more touristy side of Niagara Falls (the Canadian side), you'll already need to be in Canada anyway.  If for some reason you want to avoid entering Canda at all, that would eliminate the Toronto option.

While the train from NF to NYC will most likely be cheaper, given the time (7-8 hours), you may want to at least look at flying from BUF to one of the NYC airports.  The flights are quick and may not be too expensive, but you are at the mercy of the airlines and all the schedule risks that entails.  A one-way rental car may also be an option from NF to NYC; I haven't priced that option.

We are looking to cruise out of Bayonne in the future to see how well it works to drive in from Western New York (WNY) to a cruise versus fly to Florida (or somewhere else) before/after.  I looked at trains from the WNY area but we decided we'd rather drive and park (though we have the built in advantage of already having the vehicle).  I generally have no issue getting on a train to get around Europe, I'm not overly enthusiastic at the idea of being on a US train for 8 hours.