Birth certificate card from s.c ok for carnival?

My sister in law is cruising with us in 2 weeks has a laminate birth certificate card from South Carolina along with a letter stating that it is a official certificate ok to get on the cruise?

Thanks

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes.  The check in staff are aware of the different formats of official birth certificates.

My mom was born in 1951 in Iowa.  Folded cards were what they issued at the time.  Hers isn't laminated.  She keeps it in the sleeve it came in.

Edited by Tiger0613

Some people suggest a married woman also bring her marriage license, as her current married last name will be different than her birth last name.  I've personally never needed it, but I did read that another poster was asked for it the last time she sailed with her BC.

• Like 1

I always bring my marriage license with me as well...  many cruises and have only been asked once to see it.  (but I did get asked...  so there's that...)

I guess you never know who's going to be checking you in and what they're going to need/want to see...

4 hours ago, geovet said:

My sister in law is cruising with us in 2 weeks has a laminate birth certificate card from South Carolina along with a letter stating that it is a official certificate ok to get on the cruise?

Thanks

I would buy a brand new one if there is any question. 

Posted (edited)

Ladies, bring your marriage license!  I got scared by an agent once when I went through customs without it. 

Also, call Carnival when you have questions on your identity docs. You never want to be at port trying to board and have issues. 

They are using different technology and on 2 other cruise lines we literally walked right off the ship WITH PASSPORTS.  Just consider getting one, it will make your life easier. 😊

Edited by KPookey
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KPookey said:

Ladies, bring your marriage license!  I got scared by an agent once when I went through customs without it. 

Also, call Carnival when you have questions on your identity docs. You never want to be at port trying to board and have issues. 

They are using different technology and on 2 other cruise lines we literally walked right off the ship WITH PASSPORTS.  Just consider getting one, it will make your life easier. 😊

The OP is asking for someone else, the cruise is in 2 weeks, a passport application will need the birth certificate.

Apologies on this oversight regarding OP. You are right!! That isn’t what was asked 🫢.  I will be sure to thoroughly read each question before sharing any personal experiences for fear of giving anyone excess information!!!! Please forgive me.  Hopefully you can hop on any post to make sure I don’t get out of line again. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KPookey said:

Apologies on this oversight regarding OP. You are right!! That isn’t what was asked 🫢.  I will be sure to thoroughly read each question before sharing any personal experiences for fear of giving anyone excess information!!!! Please forgive me.  Hopefully you can hop on any post to make sure I don’t get out of line again. 

So sorry to offend, I shouldn’t have mentioned to the OP that your advice was not good in this particular situation.

On 5/17/2024 at 11:25 AM, sredish said:

Some people suggest a married woman also bring her marriage license, as her current married last name will be different than her birth last name.  I've personally never needed it, but I did read that another poster was asked for it the last time she sailed with her BC.

Only if you changed your name when you got married.  If there is any difference between your birth certificate and photo id you need the bridging document.

Kinda on topic .. can anyone tell me what extra documentation my friend might need to cruise? She has a valid DL and birth certificate. She is no longer married, been divorced 15 years or so, but still has her married last name, which is on her DL. 😕 Her first name is pretty unique .. I don't know if that will help. LOL 

2 hours ago, MommyCrankyPants said:

Kinda on topic .. can anyone tell me what extra documentation my friend might need to cruise? She has a valid DL and birth certificate. She is no longer married, been divorced 15 years or so, but still has her married last name, which is on her DL. 😕 Her first name is pretty unique .. I don't know if that will help. LOL 

I would bring the marriage license and divorce decree just in case. A cruise costs too much to risk on paperwork.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MommyCrankyPants said:

While there is no requirement to bring the extra documentation it can't hurt to bring it, the check in folks typically just check the first and middle name and the DOB and make sure those match on the ID (which has been attested to by a check in agent and yes, I am extrapolating based on a limited sample size but the requirements are the same regardless of which person is checking you in).

• Thanks 1

While it wouldn't hurt to bring the divorce decree the more important document is the marriage license.  They dont care if you are divorced in this case since there was no name change. They just care that the names match on all the documents or there is a bridging document explaining why they don't. It is also important that these match the booking name. 

• Like 1

I’ve cruised with a DL and birth certificate and was never asked for a marriage license. The only time I recall needing a bridging document was the last time I renewed my drivers license (I don’t recall ever needing it in the past to renew my license). 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

While there is no requirement to bring the extra documentation it can't hurt to bring it, the check in folks typically just check the first and middle name and the DOB and make sure those match on the ID (which has been attested to by a check in agent and yes, I am extrapolating based on a limited sample size but the requirements are the same regardless of which person is checking you in).

As a Check-in Agent in Seattle, my friend, @sparks1093 is correct with his post.  Agents are only looking to make sure that the first, middle and DOB on a married/divorced woman's birth certificate match her current gov't issued photo ID (i.e., usually her driver's license).

On a related note (positive sign of the times), last week we had a gay couple check-in and the booking showed the same last name for both gentlemen (think newlyweds).  The passport for one of the couple was still his pre-married name.  We just did a last name correction in the check-in system and sent them to the ship.  As check-in agents we deal with name change situations all the time - if it is a legit name correction, the passenger is getting on the ship.

@mjkacmom, you also hit the mark in suggesting that passports are the most convenient and straightforward to use, and it makes the check-in process so much easier.

Actually, I think it was @KPookey who advocated for having passports.  Sorry!

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1