Help- Qantas changed flight departure time on debarkation day to 11:50AM

Qantas just changed our flight time....

We are booked on Qantas to DFW on debarkation day of our cruise, November 18, 2024. It was originally scheduled to depart at 4:50 pm.  We just received an email that the departure time was moved to 11:50AM.  

Our cruise, the Celebrity Edge, is scheduled to return to Sydney at 6:30am.  Is there enough time between debarkation and the new flight time to make an international flight? 

if you can get off the ship  with your own luggage and no hold ups  its possible for  domestic  , but to  make an international flight by the time go through customs etc you might be pushing it

This is why i don't like  booking flights on embarkation and disembarkation days due to flights either changing or being cancelled.  

• Like 3

there 'should' be enough time if everything goes to plan - e.g. ship docks on time with no issues... but if the ship is late docking into Sydney or something then you may have a problem, so it might pay to have a plan B.

the flight we really wanted to take after our cruise disembarks in Sydney in December is 11:45am, but we decided that was too risky, so opted for a later flight.

if I were you I'd seriously consider staying that night at a hotel near the airport and taking a flight the next day if you can - for piece of mind

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crkdad said:

Qantas just changed our flight time....

We are booked on Qantas to DFW on debarkation day of our cruise, November 18, 2024. It was originally scheduled to depart at 4:50 pm.  We just received an email that the departure time was moved to 11:50AM.  

Our cruise, the Celebrity Edge, is scheduled to return to Sydney at 6:30am.  Is there enough time between debarkation and the new flight time to make an international flight? 

That should be ok unless something goes wrong.  You would want to disembark in the first group and carry your own bags off.  
Less stressful to stay for a day.  I think that SYD - DFW flight runs every day and Qantas will be happy to move you to the following day if there is availability.  

• Like 1

If you are entitled to a priority disembarkation, it will help. Otherwise, you will need to cart your own luggage from ship to shore. The plus is that there should be no onerous protocols that will delay the ship from being cleared by Australian & local authorities. Your cruise originates in Australia, so it is easier to get a tick from authorities when you return to disembark.

As long as nothing delays you into port, you can make it to Sydney Airport by 8am. On most days, it will be easy enough. There is a risk, and probably/mostly/usually is never 100%

3 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

QANTAS decided to change the DAY of our domestic flight! 😱

We had to cancel and rebook with JetStar. 🤷‍♂️

Normally when they do this they will offer a free shift or full refund.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, arxcards said:

As long as nothing delays you into port, you can make it to Sydney Airport by 8am. On most days, it will be easy enough. There is a risk, and probably/mostly/usually is never 100%

Yes indeed. Based on my uninformed speculation I'd guess the probability of there not being a problem getting to the airport in time would be better than 95%.

Still if I were to try it, I'd have a Plan B and a Plan C for how to get to there in the back of my mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Sorry Mic this response is supposed to be for the OP.  I don't seem to be able to unrespond/delete a reply to you???

I'm not trying to be a smart ar^e but this is the very reason to never fly in/out on the day of embarkation / disembarkation.  Given what you've probably paid for the trip, one night in a hotel surely wouldn't break the bank?

I'd be on the phone to QANTAS immediately to change that flight to the next day or even overnight.  I'm thinking that your travel insurance would most likely have an 'inconvenience clause'  where your expenses would be covered assuming you've expended more than the excess/deductible.  Also, given that QANTAS changed the flights and you're negatively impacted, they may well put you up in a hotel overnight.  It's worth investigating your options.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

I'm not trying to be a smart ar^e but this is the very reason to never fly in/out on the day of embarkation / disembarkation.  Given what you've probably paid for the trip, one night in a hotel surely wouldn't break the bank?

I'd be on the phone to QANTAS immediately to change that flight to the next day or even overnight.  I'm thinking that your travel insurance would most likely have an 'inconvenience clause'  where your expenses would be covered assuming you've expended more than the excess/deductible.  Also, given that QANTAS changed the flights and you're negatively impacted, they may well put you up in a hotel overnight.  It's worth investigating your options.

Because this was a Qantas "operations" decision, the ball is in their court. Insurance covers for out of pocket with missed connections and delays for a stack of reasons, but this isn't one of them. 

• Thanks 1

I think Bubbeh's suggestion of trying to get QANTAS to pay for one night's hotel accommodation for you is an excellent idea. Then you can switch to a flight the next day and end your holiday without stress. You would also be able to have a quick look around Sydney. Worth trying. If you don't ask you don't get! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yes I've done it before a couple of times. Only works if the ship docks on time and you take your luggage with you.

So the following has to work:

1. Ship docks on time

2. You have the physical ability to be able to get your luggage off using self embarkation.

3. Your able to get yourself and all your lugagge using the train system 

4. If using cab their no traffic delays

How about you see if Qantas can put you on a later flight. That the call I be doing before looking into 1 to 4.  Make the call quick before all other cruise passengers booked on that flight do the same. They might say yes to 1. But no to a few 😄 Depends who you get at Qantas sometimes. But I find you have to be nice as pie with them. 

Edited by icat2000
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mycruiseobsession said:

I agree, I would be saying to Qantas that's not a suitable time please put me on later. They usually allow you to since it's their fault,

Agreed, but if the flight is the next day, I would ask QANTAS to pay for one night's accommodation.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Agreed, but if the flight is the next day, I would ask QANTAS to pay for one night's accommodation.

You would be lucky to get a lounge pass out of them.

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

We have the same situation as the OP: SYD to DFW on Qantas, flight changed from 4:50pm to 11:50, only one flight per day. Only difference is Nov 30 and coming in on Royal Princess docking at 6:00 am. Booked using Princess EZAir and paid extra for the direct flight.  We have Princess transfers to the airport. The Princess info says to allow at least 5 hours from docking to flight time for international flights. Since our flight is more than that (if only slightly) we're just going to play it by ear.  I'm guessing Princess will provide instructions for how and when we debark. If we follow their instructions and miss the flight then we'll argue with them. If we miss the flight we get to wander around Sydney for another day at someone else's expense.

• Like 1

We decided to roll the dice and hope we can make the flight.  We are looking at contingencies, so we know what to do if we miss it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PR-Texas said:

We have the same situation as the OP: SYD to DFW on Qantas, flight changed from 4:50pm to 11:50, only one flight per day. Only difference is Nov 30 and coming in on Royal Princess docking at 6:00 am. Booked using Princess EZAir and paid extra for the direct flight.  We have Princess transfers to the airport. The Princess info says to allow at least 5 hours from docking to flight time for international flights. Since our flight is more than that (if only slightly) we're just going to play it by ear.  I'm guessing Princess will provide instructions for how and when we debark. If we follow their instructions and miss the flight then we'll argue with them. If we miss the flight we get to wander around Sydney for another day at someone else's expense.

Perhaps as an extra precaution also alert Princess staff to the Qantas flight time change, you never know, those organising the transfers could be oblivious to it.

3 hours ago, PR-Texas said:

I suggest that it would be better to get a taxi rather than take the Princess transfer. Disembark as soon as you can and with a taxi you can be on your way immediately rather than waiting for a full size coach to fill up before it leaves.