QA British Isles Voyage

Megabear2

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

They have just announced an apology for slow luggage delivery on the current voyage.  All of mine was delivered in minutes of my getting to the room but the landings were still stacked high at 5.45pm.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

They have just announced an apology for slow luggage delivery on the current voyage.  All of mine was delivered in minutes of my getting to the room but the landings were still stacked high at 5.45pm.

This is something they really need to get sorted. I imagine people missed trains and possibly planes this morning, which casts a pall over the whole holiday.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Similar happened two weeks ago.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Have to say it seems a shambles compared to P&O. Why on earth do they use the passenger lifts for luggage, which are tiny and under huge demand from passengers on embarkation day, and clutter all the lift waiting areas with cases, when a huge crew area with bigger lifts and massive area in front of them (which is opposite our cabin) has sat empty all day? Our cases took 5 hours to arrive. 

Our accessible Club balcony cabin isn’t a patch on the Deluxe balcony cabin we had on Iona, with some glaring omissions and design errors. Hope that yours is OK. 

Hoping that things improve. At least we have a table for 2 in Britannia Club restaurant! 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Have to say it seems a shambles compared to P&O. Why on earth do they use the passenger lifts for luggage, which are tiny and under huge demand from passengers on embarkation day, and clutter all the lift waiting areas with cases, when a huge crew area with bigger lifts and massive area in front of them (which is opposite our cabin) has sat empty all day? Our cases took 5 hours to arrive. 

Our accessible Club balcony cabin isn’t a patch on the Deluxe balcony cabin we had on Iona, with some glaring omissions and design errors. Hope that yours is OK. 

Hoping that things improve. At least we have a table for 2 in Britannia Club restaurant! 

The luggage chaos is very uncharacteristic of Cunard. Often the luggage reaches the cabin before the passenger. It is something this ship really needs to get sorted.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Oh dear, I'm so sorry.  I really like my cabin, for an inside its really well designed... mind you storage is completely full and I've dismantled a bar to make room for my longer dresses.  

I'm in my way to dinner, they gave me "freedom".   Enjoy yours.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Oh dear, I'm so sorry.  I really like my cabin, for an inside its really well designed... mind you storage is completely full and I've dismantled a bar to make room for my longer dresses.  

I'm in my way to dinner, they gave me "freedom".   Enjoy yours.

If I recall you are travelling Solo? I was just going to say you are welcome to join us for a pre dinner drink in the Commodore Club but if you are en-route to dinner enjoy!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

The luggage chaos is very uncharacteristic of Cunard. Often the luggage reaches the cabin before the passenger. It is something this ship really needs to get sorted.

Yes it was fine when we were on QM2,  both embarkation and disembarkation. Thankfully we won’t be in any rush to disembark but I don’t do queues 😂

• Like 2

Dinner unfortunately was a challenge!  I arrived at 7.30 which was my given first night time.  There was a big debate about how I'd be fitted in!  I was told that sharing would "cause odd numbers" and they would prefer me to dine alone on a two top. I wasn't too keen as the table they wanted to give me was completely isolated with no one near to even have a passing acknowledgement to so I asked if I could have another table. That didn't go very well, the man got very grumpy but eventually I was shown to a table for 6 where I sat for 10 minutes to be joined by 2 Canadian ladies who'd asked for a two top and been told no.  We started our meal and just as soup was served two chaps were sent to join us.  It turned out fine but I felt very uncomfortable about this not being able to book a sharing table - the app denies me every day. On my way out I spoke to the MD who told me that there's not going to be any change so I'd probably be alone for the two weeks. Very miserable sounding.

Long story short, went to pursers office to buy my Internet and got chatting to the guy on the desk who was checking my diamond lunch reservation.  He asked if I'd prefer 8.30 fixed dining on a big table and has arranged this from tomorrow.  I'm much happier about that  just couldn't understand why the MD couldn't have helped out.  Anyway all sorted now! Strangely though the 8.30 is meant to have had no availability at all so I was very lucky as 5.30 was way too early for me.

The food was very good as was service of the same.  However no one arrived to take drinks orders despite the chaps asking so it was a dry dinner.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I watched her leave on the live feed, as Silver Dawn, which I worked on board on Tuesday, left behind her.

My colleagues are looking forward to welcoming everyone to South Queensferry on Sunday  (I'll be helping Seabourn Venture disembark in our other port).

• Like 2

Having just retired after watching the theatre show by Julian Smith and a swift nightcap in the Golden Lion, I think that overall it's been an excellent start to the voyage.  Not sure if I've just been lucky but apart from the dinner hiccup service has been good in all the places I've tried and everyone has been happy to help. 

The most important thing to me is my room which is really convenient for the stairs and lift and is extremely quiet (that was my big worry before boarding.

So far the view from the cheap seats has been excellent!

20240524_145936.jpg

20240524_150000.jpg

20240524_150243.jpg

20240524_154148.jpg

20240524_175309.jpg

20240524_175314.jpg

20240524_175317.jpg

20240524_181847.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Good to see your first impressions. How was the boarding experience in the end?

Actual boarding was very quick and efficient.  Arrived about 1.40pm just as the coaches came in.  Straight into the terminal and into priority line and onboard by 2.05pm.  Very good, can't say the same for what came next!  Sent to muster station A which was apparently the theatre but actually was the waiting area for the forward lifts.  Massive queue with no one doing anything.  After about 10 minutes a guy came along and said he wasn't scanning anyone at present due to the lifts being overloaded.  This was deck 2. I asked if he could check me in and I'd use the stairs, he was reluctant but agreed - I think he thought I was going to go one or two floors and chance my arm on the lift!  

Walking up every landing was like a battlefield with luggage everywhere.  Apparently the front and rear lifts were off limits to guests for luggage handling.  I've never seen anything like it on any ship let alone a Cunard one. As I said earlier my luggage (3 bags) arrived simultaneously with me so I was unaware of the problems going on.  I used the stairs most of the afternoon but I did notice there was still luggage on decks 5 and 6 when I went down at 6.30pm.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear that you are sorted from tomorrow @Megabear2 First night sounded very poor. 

Well I’m pleased to say that things got much better for us after quite a few disappointments with the cabin. We have a nice table for 2 with a sea view in Britannia Club and a great waiter. A good first dinner and the a la carte additions look pretty identical to those that we had in Princess Grill on QM2. Service was exemplary and it doesn’t feel like a step down from PG in any respect. If anything, the restaurant layout is far better as tables are more spaced than PG on QM2. 

My wife retired early and l have just finished a top to bottom tour of all areas of the ship. First impressions of the decor and ambiance are

very favourable. Negatives are the promenade deck (waste of time - you can only see the sea from one quarter of it) and the lifts (way too small -

they say they accommodate 18 but more than 8 and you are standing on each others toes. Wheelchair accommodation around the ship

(theatre etc) is poor, not helped by inadequate signage. 

• Like 11

In reply to wheelchair accommodation, I agree the signage could and should be more prominent but that will never account for the 'walking well' who will ignore any sign, prominent or not. A bit like those who take up a parking spot but don;t have a blue badge

but

I have a caveat to wheelchair spots. We learnt years ago if you can't sort the the system, then the only way is to beat it and right or wrong, that means turning up early and figuratively putting your towel down on your spot but staying there too.

Not easy at all on Annie for those on fixed dining when the service can be slow I know but turning up at 10.10pm for a 10.15pm start and expecting a wheelchair spot in the theatre is just not going to be a runner. The vast majority of the world are not in wheelchairs and percentage wise,  right or wrong, that's what's catered for.

Twice I had black looks from walking stickers as I was sat right at the back with my husband, in a designated spot and ignored unspoken pleas for my seat  so they had to walk down steps. Sorry mate. Do your homework and enter on the second deck so no steps.

So saying, I will be interested in any thoughts on number of mobility challenged passengers on the third QA cruise because statistically, there was a large number on the second.

I do have some thoughts on overall wheelchair navigation logistics on Annie though and they are not particularly positive in comparison to my beloved Victoria.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

In reply to wheelchair accommodation, I agree the signage could and should be more prominent but that will never account for the 'walking well' who will ignore any sign, prominent or not. A bit like those who take up a parking spot but don;t have a blue badge

but

I have a caveat to wheelchair spots. We learnt years ago if you can't sort the the system, then the only way is to beat it and right or wrong, that means turning up early and figuratively putting your towel down on your spot but staying there too.

Not easy at all on Annie for those on fixed dining when the service can be slow I know but turning up at 10.10pm for a 10.15pm start and expecting a wheelchair spot in the theatre is just not going to be a runner. The vast majority of the world are not in wheelchairs and percentage wise,  right or wrong, that's what's catered for.

Twice I had black looks from walking stickers as I was sat right at the back with my husband, in a designated spot and ignored unspoken pleas for my seat  so they had to walk down steps. Sorry mate. Do your homework and enter on the second deck so no steps.

So saying, I will be interested in any thoughts on number of mobility challenged passengers on the third QA cruise because statistically, there was a large number on the second.

I do have some thoughts on overall wheelchair navigation logistics on Annie though and they are not particularly positive in comparison to my beloved Victoria.

There are some huge ‘misses’ regarding accessibility on Queen Anne.

We have an accessible Club balcony cabin. There is a fixed grab rail on the wall to one side of the toilet but no drop down grab rail on the other side, which there should be. The annoying thing is that there is room for one! Consequently the toilet is a real challenge for my wife. It is also quite low and we had to ask for a seat raiser, which they provided. 

The cabin door is not automated. This is fine for us as I have to push my wife everywhere, but those who are quite dependent in a wheelchair, or on a scooter, might struggle. 

The wardrobe setup is just plain daft. The one with a high rail but no room underneath it to hang anything on 50% of it is rammed with hangers that can’t be removed. Conversely, the other wardrobe, that is more accessible, does not have a single hanger in it. Not one. 

The balcony door is not automated, as it is on the new P&O ships. Due to the drop down plate mechanism that allows wheelchair users to get across the threshold, it is very stiff to open and close the door, so much so that my wife cannot operate it. Consequently, when I am ashore at a tender port and my wife is on the ship (she cannot use tenders), she is unable to access the balcony. 

The theatre seating is very poor for wheelchair users. Not only are there very few places, the signage is tiny, easily missed, and not in the correct places. Furthermore, there are no seat top covers indicating that certain seats are reserved for wheelchair user companions. As you say, those with walking sticks, who could easily manage a step or two, will just plonk themselves in them. 

This is all a big surprise and disappointment, not least because every single one of these issues has been addressed on the new P&O ships (same parent company) which are now a few years older than Queen Anne. Their accessible cabins have automated balcony doors, automated cabin doors, grab rails both sides of the toilet, height adjustable basins (great for full time wheelchair users), very accessible wardrobes etc etc. The theatre has better spaces for wheelchair users and seat top covers that leave people in no doubt that they are designed for wheelchair user companions. 

One other irritant (for me this time) is that we have no sofa in our cabin, just two very small, hard and uncomfortable chairs. The deck manager says it’s because there isn’t room for them in accessible cabins. This is nonsense. There is plenty of room, even for full time wheelchair users. He said he would try to find me a chair from a lounge somewhere, but nothing yet so I’m writing this with the hard edge of a tiny chair digging in my back!

Thankfully I really like the ship. It’s far nicer than I anticipated from the videos I’d seen and it feels like a ship, unlike the new P&O ships that look and feel like conference hotels. Britannia Club dining (the main reason that we booked this cabin) looks like it will be very good. Today’s entertainment schedule (see day) looks very good also. I’m sure there’s a lot that we will like, but the very poor accessibility features and woefully undersized lifts are extremely frustrating. It’s a shame that whoever designed this ship did not seek detailed feedback from those who are disabled - or even just follow the good practice already built in to other ships in the group. 

IMG_2115.jpeg

IMG_2116.jpeg

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 9

The wardrobe issue is nothing to do with ship design - it is the same in many land based hotels. Obviously those who design hotel/ship wardrobe spaces never use them.

I'm sure it would help if the designers of ship's interiors actually spent some time on a cruise before creating their designs.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Wardrobes for the insides are equally strange.  As a solo traveller I have managed okay but truthfully I think we would struggle if my husband was with me.  My cabin offers me less wardrobe and storage than my Queen Mary 2 single cabin. Two of the wardrobes have five hangers and are extremely narrow.  I have two long sequin dresses in one and despite the five hangers only room for one more lightweight evening jacket. The area under the safe is very low down too and my trousers touch the floor.

Shoe storage is virtually impossible as my clothes cover them. Impossible operating grab and go - evening shoes under dresses etc and day wear under the trousers. 

I would struggle with the storage on a long cruise yet had no problems at all on a world voyage in the solo on QM2.

20240524_150100.jpg

20240524_150043.jpg

20240524_150028.jpg

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I have for most of my life said if Designers and Enginers had to live with the products they designed or enginered for six months, we would seldom have issues because the original people would realize how poorly they had made the dsign in the first place. and would correct it pre-production.

• Like 6

Day 2 has whistled by!  The weather unfortunately did not play the game.  It was damp and slippery underfoot if you were brave enough to venture out. Some brave crew members were out on deck 3 with buckets and ladders this afternoon though.

It was interesting to see how the ship coped with so much effectively off limits.  Seating seemed to be plentiful, as a resident in the cheap seats this is important to me but Queen Anne scored well with me.

The entertainment was varied and full.  For my part after breakfast I had a full diary until 6.00pm.  I tend to eat early, as the dining room opens.  This was 8.00am today. A pleasant experience at a table for 6 at the window directly looking at the wake was provided for six solo travellers.  The food was varied and hot and the company good.  Interestingly of the six four had the previous night had the same experience as me being told they must dine alone upstairs on the 3rd deck.  Clearly this is some sort of planned policy evolving for the anytime dining singles.  Sadly everyone of the people who fell victim to this idea were unhappy about the situation.

After breakfast I attended the port talks on Belfast and Greenock.  Although a welcome piece and informative I did feel the presentation lacked any passion as it was read direct from the IPad with little true enthusiasm.  Interesting to have the talks at all as all my recent cruises on other lines had offered nothing.

Following on at 11.00am was Midge Ure.  As there was only 15 minutes between the presentations many remained for this, the theatre was not cleared in between.  This was an outstanding presentation to a full house.  He was amusing and highly informative with a really good presentation style - well in my humble opinion!

Following this I thought I'd try the pub for a light bite lunch and a beer.  My choice of the ham balls (?) was excellent  just enough to curb the hunger.  The service here was once again very good.  I have a few comments on the issue of service in other venues for solo lady travellers but will expand elsewhere.

At 1.00pm it was time to register for archery in the Bright Lights. I arrived at 12.55pm to find the venue full standing room only.  Clearly this is going to be very popular with everyone channelling their inner Robin Hood!  Anyway my registration has taken me to the brave new world at 11.00am on 30th May so it's going to be interesting!  I did nearly 30 years ago try archery when on holiday in Mauritius. I didn't hit the target once in the three weeks of trying although I can claim the dubious honour of my arrow going under the board and spearing a poor unfortunate crab who had the misfortune to be sideling by ... none of which augur well!

After signing up to try not to be a one woman hit squad I tested the swimming pool up in the pavilion which was extremely pleasant and then a quick ice cream - the health coach will not be pleased - before heading to the theatre for the early performance of Brief Encounter.  What a fabulous hour that was, such a well produced and entertaining show I'd recommend it as a do not miss.

Just time after this to pop in the shop to splash the cash on a few Queen Anne teddies and a sweatshirt for people back home and then back to prepare for the Black & White Ball.

I did say preparing ... well it all went a bit astray when after the titivating I went to put on my glamorous black and white sequin dress to suffer a very serious malfunction when the zip broke!  Big panic, what else do I have in black and white?  Well actually nothing, what really? No, not a thing!  I love colour, the brighter more outlandish the better so a quick sprint through revealed absolutely nothing except some black trousers.  What to do?  Well Cindererlla cast caution to thecwind and wore a black and vivid pink full sequin dress to the ball and to he'll with it!  And guess what, despite her reservations it was just fine.

The new table for dinner awaited at 8.30 so with trepidation I wandered in.  So much nicer, a table seating eight a really nice mix of people, such a relief.  

Dinner itself was excellent, I'm not one gorfood photos, sorry I normally forget and eat before I think I should gave taken one.  However I can say the escargot , venison and lemon souffle were excellent, perfectly cooked, the correct temperature and with great presentation and service.

After dinner a quick look into the Queen's Room to watch the dancing accompanied by a large g&t and then back to the room via a jot chocolate.

Thankfully the fight with the lifts did not occur tonight but tomorrow in Scarlett O'Hara's words is another day and the fight will begin again!

On retturn to the room I have my paperwork to complete for the naming ceremony.  We have to decide if we wish to ge ashore and hand the form back by the 28th for our lanyard to be produced.  It will be interesting to see how many choose the option as most people I've spoken to seem to be planning to stay onboard.

Anyway bed calls, I hope I've not bored you too much with my waffling!

20240525_124820.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1