QA British Isles Voyage

Megabear2

Very much concur with your comments MB. Glad to see port presentations but not a great presenter both in style and pronunciation. Thought it was very odd that the first talk was on Greenock and Belfast. What happened to the 3 ports that we have before them?

We also very much enjoyed both Midge Ure’s talk and Brief Encounter. Dinner was also good and, like you, I enjoyed the escargot and venison, but I had the daily flambé in BC which was gorgeous. Service in BC is excellent but a little slow, so we had to leave before coffee (tea in our case) as we had a reservation for ‘Noir’ in the Bright Lights Society. We really enjoyed that as well. 

Glad to hear that your dinner experience was better. How is the sound insulation in your cabin? Ours isn’t great. We can hear our neighbours one side talking (at full volume) and this started before 5.30am this morning, so woke me up. I think I’m going to have to have a word with them - if my wife will let me!

• Like 11

Re the communication about the naming ceremony. I found it frustrating that the letter told us nothing that we didn’t already know and didn’t address the questions that we do want to know!

I think that we will most likely stay on board (standing for hours on end doesn’t sound like much fun) but to fully inform our decision I wanted to know whether or not we will physically be able to see the entertainment from the ship (rather than just on TV) and, if so, which side of the ship will it be visible from. If the answer is yes and starboard side, then we could watch it sitting on our balcony, which would be far more comfortable and, of course, we then have access to a loo as well!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, NE John said:

I saw him play with Thin Lizzy in 1979…FWIW. Great gig. 

He was talking about that experience and telling the story of how he had to learn to play the songs in less than 24 hours!

• Like 1

@Selbourne I am so pleased to see you posting again, even though it's not a full trip report.  I came here looking for you when @Megabear2 reminded us that you were on this voyage.  I am so sorry (and surprised) to read that your cabin seems poorly designed for disabled passengers and that the theatre does not make companion seating for wheelchair users clear; that much at least should be easy to put right.

I'll be reading along and whilst I won't be going to Liverpool to view the razzmatazz, I will be watching on the NW local news, which I expect will cover it in detail.

I hope you all have a memorable, and fabulous time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Very much concur with your comments MB. Glad to see port presentations but not a great presenter both in style and pronunciation. Thought it was very odd that the first talk was on Greenock and Belfast. What happened to the 3 ports that we have before them?

We also very much enjoyed both Midge Ure’s talk and Brief Encounter. Dinner was also good and, like you, I enjoyed the escargot and venison, but I had the daily flambé in BC which was gorgeous. Service in BC is excellent but a little slow, so we had to leave before coffee (tea in our case) as we had a reservation for ‘Noir’ in the Bright Lights Society. We really enjoyed that as well. 

Glad to hear that your dinner experience was better. How is the sound insulation in your cabin? Ours isn’t great. We can hear our neighbours one side talking (at full volume) and this started before 5.30am this morning, so woke me up. I think I’m going to have to have a word with them - if my wife will let me!

As you know Selbourne like yourself I'm extremely obsessive about noise!  I can honestly say in this regard that this is one of the quietest cabins on any ship I've had.  A very muffled door across the corridor yesterday evening is the only thing I've noticed.

I'd be very happy to pick this room again.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Day 2 has whistled by!  The weather unfortunately did not play the game.  It was damp and slippery underfoot if you were brave enough to venture out. Some brave crew members were out on deck 3 with buckets and ladders this afternoon though.

It was interesting to see how the ship coped with so much effectively off limits.  Seating seemed to be plentiful, as a resident in the cheap seats this is important to me but Queen Anne scored well with me.

The entertainment was varied and full.  For my part after breakfast I had a full diary until 6.00pm.  I tend to eat early, as the dining room opens.  This was 8.00am today. A pleasant experience at a table for 6 at the window directly looking at the wake was provided for six solo travellers.  The food was varied and hot and the company good.  Interestingly of the six four had the previous night had the same experience as me being told they must dine alone upstairs on the 3rd deck.  Clearly this is some sort of planned policy evolving for the anytime dining singles.  Sadly everyone of the people who fell victim to this idea were unhappy about the situation.

After breakfast I attended the port talks on Belfast and Greenock.  Although a welcome piece and informative I did feel the presentation lacked any passion as it was read direct from the IPad with little true enthusiasm.  Interesting to have the talks at all as all my recent cruises on other lines had offered nothing.

Following on at 11.00am was Midge Ure.  As there was only 15 minutes between the presentations many remained for this, the theatre was not cleared in between.  This was an outstanding presentation to a full house.  He was amusing and highly informative with a really good presentation style - well in my humble opinion!

Following this I thought I'd try the pub for a light bite lunch and a beer.  My choice of the ham balls (?) was excellent  just enough to curb the hunger.  The service here was once again very good.  I have a few comments on the issue of service in other venues for solo lady travellers but will expand elsewhere.

At 1.00pm it was time to register for archery in the Bright Lights. I arrived at 12.55pm to find the venue full standing room only.  Clearly this is going to be very popular with everyone channelling their inner Robin Hood!  Anyway my registration has taken me to the brave new world at 11.00am on 30th May so it's going to be interesting!  I did nearly 30 years ago try archery when on holiday in Mauritius. I didn't hit the target once in the three weeks of trying although I can claim the dubious honour of my arrow going under the board and spearing a poor unfortunate crab who had the misfortune to be sideling by ... none of which augur well!

After signing up to try not to be a one woman hit squad I tested the swimming pool up in the pavilion which was extremely pleasant and then a quick ice cream - the health coach will not be pleased - before heading to the theatre for the early performance of Brief Encounter.  What a fabulous hour that was, such a well produced and entertaining show I'd recommend it as a do not miss.

Just time after this to pop in the shop to splash the cash on a few Queen Anne teddies and a sweatshirt for people back home and then back to prepare for the Black & White Ball.

I did say preparing ... well it all went a bit astray when after the titivating I went to put on my glamorous black and white sequin dress to suffer a very serious malfunction when the zip broke!  Big panic, what else do I have in black and white?  Well actually nothing, what really? No, not a thing!  I love colour, the brighter more outlandish the better so a quick sprint through revealed absolutely nothing except some black trousers.  What to do?  Well Cindererlla cast caution to thecwind and wore a black and vivid pink full sequin dress to the ball and to he'll with it!  And guess what, despite her reservations it was just fine.

The new table for dinner awaited at 8.30 so with trepidation I wandered in.  So much nicer, a table seating eight a really nice mix of people, such a relief.  

Dinner itself was excellent, I'm not one gorfood photos, sorry I normally forget and eat before I think I should gave taken one.  However I can say the escargot , venison and lemon souffle were excellent, perfectly cooked, the correct temperature and with great presentation and service.

After dinner a quick look into the Queen's Room to watch the dancing accompanied by a large g&t and then back to the room via a jot chocolate.

Thankfully the fight with the lifts did not occur tonight but tomorrow in Scarlett O'Hara's words is another day and the fight will begin again!

On retturn to the room I have my paperwork to complete for the naming ceremony.  We have to decide if we wish to ge ashore and hand the form back by the 28th for our lanyard to be produced.  It will be interesting to see how many choose the option as most people I've spoken to seem to be planning to stay onboard.

Anyway bed calls, I hope I've not bored you too much with my waffling!

20240525_124820.jpg

6 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Day 2 has whistled by!  The weather unfortunately did not play the game.  It was damp and slippery underfoot if you were brave enough to venture out. Some brave crew members were out on deck 3 with buckets and ladders this afternoon though.

It was interesting to see how the ship coped with so much effectively off limits.  Seating seemed to be plentiful, as a resident in the cheap seats this is important to me but Queen Anne scored well with me.

The entertainment was varied and full.  For my part after breakfast I had a full diary until 6.00pm.  I tend to eat early, as the dining room opens.  This was 8.00am today. A pleasant experience at a table for 6 at the window directly looking at the wake was provided for six solo travellers.  The food was varied and hot and the company good.  Interestingly of the six four had the previous night had the same experience as me being told they must dine alone upstairs on the 3rd deck.  Clearly this is some sort of planned policy evolving for the anytime dining singles.  Sadly everyone of the people who fell victim to this idea were unhappy about the situation.

After breakfast I attended the port talks on Belfast and Greenock.  Although a welcome piece and informative I did feel the presentation lacked any passion as it was read direct from the IPad with little true enthusiasm.  Interesting to have the talks at all as all my recent cruises on other lines had offered nothing.

Following on at 11.00am was Midge Ure.  As there was only 15 minutes between the presentations many remained for this, the theatre was not cleared in between.  This was an outstanding presentation to a full house.  He was amusing and highly informative with a really good presentation style - well in my humble opinion!

Following this I thought I'd try the pub for a light bite lunch and a beer.  My choice of the ham balls (?) was excellent  just enough to curb the hunger.  The service here was once again very good.  I have a few comments on the issue of service in other venues for solo lady travellers but will expand elsewhere.

At 1.00pm it was time to register for archery in the Bright Lights. I arrived at 12.55pm to find the venue full standing room only.  Clearly this is going to be very popular with everyone channelling their inner Robin Hood!  Anyway my registration has taken me to the brave new world at 11.00am on 30th May so it's going to be interesting!  I did nearly 30 years ago try archery when on holiday in Mauritius. I didn't hit the target once in the three weeks of trying although I can claim the dubious honour of my arrow going under the board and spearing a poor unfortunate crab who had the misfortune to be sideling by ... none of which augur well!

After signing up to try not to be a one woman hit squad I tested the swimming pool up in the pavilion which was extremely pleasant and then a quick ice cream - the health coach will not be pleased - before heading to the theatre for the early performance of Brief Encounter.  What a fabulous hour that was, such a well produced and entertaining show I'd recommend it as a do not miss.

Just time after this to pop in the shop to splash the cash on a few Queen Anne teddies and a sweatshirt for people back home and then back to prepare for the Black & White Ball.

I did say preparing ... well it all went a bit astray when after the titivating I went to put on my glamorous black and white sequin dress to suffer a very serious malfunction when the zip broke!  Big panic, what else do I have in black and white?  Well actually nothing, what really? No, not a thing!  I love colour, the brighter more outlandish the better so a quick sprint through revealed absolutely nothing except some black trousers.  What to do?  Well Cindererlla cast caution to thecwind and wore a black and vivid pink full sequin dress to the ball and to he'll with it!  And guess what, despite her reservations it was just fine.

The new table for dinner awaited at 8.30 so with trepidation I wandered in.  So much nicer, a table seating eight a really nice mix of people, such a relief.  

Dinner itself was excellent, I'm not one gorfood photos, sorry I normally forget and eat before I think I should gave taken one.  However I can say the escargot , venison and lemon souffle were excellent, perfectly cooked, the correct temperature and with great presentation and service.

After dinner a quick look into the Queen's Room to watch the dancing accompanied by a large g&t and then back to the room via a jot chocolate.

Thankfully the fight with the lifts did not occur tonight but tomorrow in Scarlett O'Hara's words is another day and the fight will begin again!

On retturn to the room I have my paperwork to complete for the naming ceremony.  We have to decide if we wish to ge ashore and hand the form back by the 28th for our lanyard to be produced.  It will be interesting to see how many choose the option as most people I've spoken to seem to be planning to stay onboard.

Anyway bed calls, I hope I've not bored you too much with my waffling!

20240525_124820.jpg

As some who only ever travels solo except once a year , I was interested in your comments about solo dining. I always eat solo and do not ever want to share. I hope that is still the policy to seat solos on a two table when I join her in July. As soon as Britannia opens on embarkation day my first job is to check I have been given a solo table. Only had to have it changed once. I don’t care were it is as long as I am on my own. I always book 2nd sitting. I would rather eat in the buffet if I couldn’t have a table by myself. Thankfully I have never had to do this yet. Will be following your comments on solo cruising with interest. I don’t frequent the bars except Golden Lion for lunch and Chart room during the day. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

@Selbourne I am so pleased to see you posting again, even though it's not a full trip report.  I came here looking for you when @Megabear2 reminded us that you were on this voyage.  I am so sorry (and surprised) to read that your cabin seems poorly designed for disabled passengers and that the theatre does not make companion seating for wheelchair users clear; that much at least should be easy to put right.

I'll be reading along and whilst I won't be going to Liverpool to view the razzmatazz, I will be watching on the NW local news, which I expect will cover it in detail.

I hope you all have a memorable, and fabulous time.

Thanks. That’s kind of you. I’m still recovering from my 65 night blog on Aurora’s Grand Voyage (and the pressure of it having over 250,000 views), so I’m delighted that @Megabear2 is holding the reigns on this one! I hope that she doesn’t mind me chipping in with my thoughts though?

Whilst we didn’t like P&Os Iona, the accessible balcony cabin that we had was brilliant. We had assumed that an accessible cabin on Queen Anne would have the same features. Sadly not. It’s very poor in comparison, which has come as a big surprise to us as well. The lack of grab rails around the toilet and shower seat (they are both only on one side, when they need to be on both sides) are causing major problems. This morning it took my wife 10 minutes to get off the shower seat and back in to her wheelchair and in the end that was only achieved by me lifting her, which isn’t good for my back. The really annoying thing is that there is room for the grab rails that are needed. Cunard have really messed up in this regard, so much so that I fear that we are going to have to have a serious conversation about possibly cancelling our November Queen Anne cruise, which will be heartbreaking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks. That’s kind of you. I’m still recovering from my 65 night blog on Aurora’s Grand Voyage (and the pressure of it having over 250,000 views), so I’m delighted that @Megabear2 is holding the reigns on this one! I hope that she doesn’t mind me chipping in with my thoughts though?

Whilst we didn’t like P&Os Iona, the accessible balcony cabin that we had was brilliant. We had assumed that an accessible cabin on Queen Anne would have the same features. Sadly not. It’s very poor in comparison, which has come as a big surprise to us as well. The lack of grab rails around the toilet and shower seat (they are both only on one side, when they need to be on both sides) are causing major problems. This morning it took my wife 10 minutes to get off the shower seat and back in to her wheelchair and in the end that was only achieved by me lifting her, which isn’t good for my back. The really annoying thing is that there is room for the grab rails that are needed. Cunard have really messed up in this regard, so much so that I fear that we are going to have to have a serious conversation about possibly cancelling our November Queen Anne cruise, which will be heartbreaking.

Oh dear that is a shame. I wonder about  checking out the accessible cabins in other grades to check this just isn’t a fault in the B C cabin? I know from your posts you are new to Cunard but the cancellation rules are the same as P&O. Queen Victoria is back from Med sailing ex Southampton in the Autumn. I am on an interesting itinerary calling at Tangiers. She is a fabulous ship and you may find her more suitable. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

This really is very poor and I can understand your concerns. I remember that your wife had low beds to contend with on Aurora and discovering that she is unable to manage day to day functions more easily on a new ship, in an adapted cabin, must be very annoying (not to mention potentially damaging to your back) and I hope that the 'serious conversation' brings results.

I looked forward to your daily blog on Aurora at the start of the year, as did lots of others obviously 😇, but I do understand what you mean about the pressure.  I was stunned to get up to 27,000 views for my somewhat irregular, 32 night cruise!  I think the fact that we were both away in the UK's dreary winter months played its part.  I'm doing the Ventura's 32 night trip next January that includes Miami and New Orleans, both of which you covered so well in your blog, so I am not sure I will do another.  Maybe a few notes with photos here and there, especially since  @TigerB gave me such good instruction; which has been so useful in my everyday life too.

Glad that the dining experience is living up to expectation for you both, because I remember how much you enjoyed this on your previous Cunard cruise.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The really annoying thing is that there is room for the grab rails that are needed.

Have you discussed this with anyone on board? It may be possible to have extra rails fitted if they carry spares on the ship.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I remember that your wife had low beds to contend with on Aurora

Thankfully the bed height is one accessible aspect that they have got right on Queen Anne!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Have you discussed this with anyone on board? It may be possible to have extra rails fitted if they carry spares on the ship.

I mentioned it at the pursers desk on the day we embarked (when requesting a raised toilet seat) and a lady who was stood next to me worked for Cunard (she seemed quite senior) and she interjected and said that it was very useful feedback. 

Our deck manager is extremely pleasant and he’s been into the cabin twice, but he hasn’t even been able to find me a comfortable chair to sit on after 2 days (they haven’t put the advertised sofas in the accessible BC cabins), so I’ve given up on him. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I mentioned it at the pursers desk on the day we embarked (when requesting a raised toilet seat) and a lady who was stood next to me worked for Cunard (she seemed quite senior) and she interjected and said that it was very useful feedback. 

Our deck manager is extremely pleasant and he’s been into the cabin twice, but he hasn’t even been able to find me a comfortable chair to sit on after 2 days (they haven’t put the advertised sofas in the accessible BC cabins), so I’ve given up on him. 

Surely at the very least the can give you some more hangars?

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

250k Views!, your blog is obviously a lot more intersting than mine

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Surely at the very least the can give you some more hangars?

Our steward provided some wire ones for the double wardrobe that didn’t have a single hanger. Meanwhile the fixed hangers in the half of the other wardrobe (that we cannot use as there’s no room underneath) remain unused!

As @Megabear2 has already said, the wardrobes are very poorly designed. Many of our clothes are either dragging on the rail below or on the floor of the wardrobe. 

• Like 2

Thankyou so much for your reviews.We are going to be looking forward to hearing from you daily.We have laughed about the closets in the stateroom and the layout of the hangers.Hope all the “niggles” are soon going to be sorted.We do not travel in “grills” so your reviews are so welcomed.😘

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Our steward provided some wire ones for the double wardrobe that didn’t have a single hanger. Meanwhile the fixed hangers in the half of the other wardrobe (that we cannot use as there’s no room underneath) remain unused!

As @Megabear2 has already said, the wardrobes are very poorly designed. Many of our clothes are either dragging on the rail below or on the floor of the wardrobe. 

One of the lower rails in non accessible cabins is removable. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

One of the lower rails in non accessible cabins is removable. 

Yes I have taken mine out.  It actually lay behind the top one rather than directly beneath so if I hadn't done so my long hanging space was 10 hangers in two narrow wardrobes.  This is how mine look now.  I've put the removed hanger up so you can see the width. 

On missing things I gave a strange one!  My under the sink shelf contains an unopened box of tissues, however I cannot find anywhere in the room or bathroom where a tissue dispenser can be found.  I'm tempted to open the new box and see where it travels to!

20240526_104225.jpg

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 4

For many years now, both cruising and non cruising, we have packed clothes on their hangers - far quicker packing and especially unpacking. Just remove the "provided" hangers and put then in an empty case for the duration of the cruise

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes I have taken mine out.  It actually lay behind the top one rather than directly beneath so if I hadn't done so my long hanging space was 10 hangers in two narrow wardrobes.  This is how mine look now.  I've put the removed hanger up so you can see the width. 

On missing things I gave a strange one!  My under the sink shelf contains an unopened box of tissues, however I cannot find anywhere in the room or bathroom where a tissue dispenser can be found.  I'm tempted to open the new box and see where it travels to!

20240526_104225.jpg

Thank you for this I know what to expect in the summer. I only wear dresses so would only hang a cardigan in the short hanging part so like you can be for shoes. Hopefully by the end of July enough people will have asked for extras so should be enough without having to ask. Usually first job steward has to do for me is split the beds. I don’t think in spite of requesting split beds they have ever been done on arrival. 

• Like 2

The Commodore Club was totally packed this morning. There was a plaque ceremony going on so the Captain was there, but I don't think this was the only attraction. It is the perfect place to sit in comfort and watch the rain and the fog outside while we are waiting to see if the weather will improve enough for the tenders to take us ashore in South Queens Ferry. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, safarigal said:

The Commodore Club was totally packed this morning. There was a plaque ceremony going on so the Captain was there, but I don't think this was the only attraction. It is the perfect place to sit in comfort and watch the rain and the fog outside while we are waiting to see if the weather will improve enough for the tenders to take us ashore in South Queens Ferry. 

It would be nice if the Grills Lounge enabled this activity.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, safarigal said:

Yes we walked through and couldn’t believe how busy it was. In fact the whole ship seems incredibly busy today, even though tender operations started a couple of hours ago. As South Queensferry is a bit of a trek from Edinburgh, I get the impression that many who were going ashore independently have binned the idea due to the poor weather. I know that I have. Mind you, I’ve been to Edinburgh dozens of times so it’s no great loss. It’s a shame for the international tourists though. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It would be nice if the Grills Lounge enabled this activity.

Having just had a nose at the Grills Lounge, I can see why folk don’t like it. I wouldn’t want to sit in there when there are so many much nicer bars and lounges elsewhere on the ship. 

• Like 5