QA British Isles Voyage

Megabear2

10 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Yes, the west coast lines are even nicer. The trouble with the car is that, for now at least, someone has to drive and concentrate on that, and can’t enjoy the scenery in the same way. Whereas with the train everyone gets the views. 

I’ve always driven and still thoroughly enjoyed the views, but I appreciate that’s not for everyone. I’ve noticed over the last few decades that the amount of greenery alongside those railway lines (that is no longer removed) has really compromised the views compared to when I first travelled those lines over 40 years ago. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’ve always driven and still thoroughly enjoyed the views, but I appreciate that’s not for everyone. I’ve noticed over the last few decades that the amount of greenery alongside those railway lines (that is no longer removed) has really compromised the views compared to when I first travelled those lines over 40 years ago. 

Yes, it is extraordinary how much has grown up since 1968, though on some of the West of Scotland routes they have quite a lot of steam trains, so I would have thought they would want to keep the growth down.

It's probably not interesting to anyone but me but Invergordon is home to the current World's Strongest Man and his brother who was 2021 Europe's Strongest Man. Unsurprisingly they bill themselves as the World's Strongest Brothers. I was disappointed not to be able to make a trip to their gym when I called there in 2021 especially as I could see it from the ship but we couldn't get off without a prebooked trip and strangely, there was no ship's tour to Culloden which is what I wanted to do.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, tacticalbanjo said:

It's probably not interesting to anyone but me but Invergordon is home to the current World's Strongest Man and his brother who was 2021 Europe's Strongest Man. Unsurprisingly they bill themselves as the World's Strongest Brothers. I was disappointed not to be able to make a trip to their gym when I called there in 2021 especially as I could see it from the ship but we couldn't get off without a prebooked trip and strangely, there was no ship's tour to Culloden which is what I wanted to do.

Perhaps they could ask them to oversee disembarkation and reembarkation.

• Haha 3

How lovely to hear all these flattering comments about Scotland!   It does have lovely scenery (once you have negotiated the mist, rain  and the dreaded midgies)!   The grass is always greener though and I always envy you lucky southerners your sunshine and invariably higher temperatures.  🌞

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ilovemygarden said:

How lovely to hear all these flattering comments about Scotland!   It does have lovely scenery (once you have negotiated the mist, rain  and the dreaded midgies)!   The grass is always greener though and I always envy you lucky southerners your sunshine and invariably higher temperatures.  🌞

I must say I think highland scenery tends to be a bit like a Wagner opera, dramatic initially, but rather depressing and samey, what with the weather. I would say the same about Norwegian fjords. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

I'm delighted with your wonderful country!  I've spent 68 years never coming up and now have a taster.  My husband and I are due in Edinburgh in July for four days, mainly to see Paul Weller at Edinburgh Castle but I've just discussed with him extending by a week.or so and hiring a car to go further north  so yes those taster cruises do work!

ps Although it rained today I think you have some of the biggest sky I've ever seen!

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

An attempt to get back to my general reporting!

Monday for me was dedicated to the main reason I had a moment of madness and booked this cruise! Midge Ure.  I am a massive music fan and travel extensively to watch acts live around the world, often making extended trips to the US in particular to catch up on acts I can rarely see and driving or taking the train from place to place. Midge Ure is way up on my list of people I will travel anywhere i can to see so this cruise had to be booked for him, much the same way as my transatlantic previously and my much loved James Taylor crossing - my best ever Cunard memory.

As a result my day was pretty much mapped out with seeing him in conversation in the morning and the evening concert, hence little to report save I thought the performances (yes sorry I cheated ...) were excellent.

However in between all this return to my groupie youth, I did go for my WC lunch at Sir Samuel's (part of my devious plan to avoid missing a second of the performance and to ensure a front row seat!).

I quite liked the restaurant but as a solo lady felt rather uncomfortable in my somewhat on display seat at the end of the middle row.  The menu was quite large for a lunchtime although quite a few things were extra pay. .I decided to pay the $8.50 for the crab cake starter which although nice was relatively small and in my opinion I'd not pay for it again.  The next course was short rib. Now I have to admit to not beiing a great meat eater, but this was very nice, albeit far too big for me.  There were a good selection of sides and I chose broccoli, mushrooms and sweet potato fries.  The portions provided would have amply fed two in my opinion but as I found them very good I did my best to do them justice.  Sweet was more limited, I think about three choices if my memory serves me correct.  I chose the cheesecake which was very good.

I did not have coffee or tea as I was keen to leave.  Why you may ask, well very unusually for a Cunard ship I do in some places feel a little uncomfortable as a lone traveller.  Sir Samuel's was one of those.  I cannot put my finger on what made me feel so uncomfortable but I did.

There are one or two other places around the ship where I seem to become invisible if I try to get a drink.  I have little trouble in the Queen's Room where I have one particular waiter who actively rushes to take my order and if its early and not too busy stops for a chat.  Again Carinthia a great guy who is prompt and offers wine advice, but the Chart Room if it's busy I seem to not be visible no matter which section I'm in!  I can order in there and wait 25 minutes to have the waiter rush by saying sorry I won't be.long as he takes a new order so I've started to avoid there.  The Golden Lion is another black hole although if I go in there when a quiz or bingo is on I get served superfast- I think everyone else is too busy studying their cards and answer sheets to order drinks!

Overall I guess 70% of the time I can order fine.  The Commodore Club are highly efficient, the only downside there is the high drink prices virtually ruling out my drinks package as virtually everything is over the limit.

On deck, well we have had those rare moments you know, I generally get a drink.first time but again become invisible if I want a second - perhaps I look like I could become a delinquent drinker waving my drinks package sticker frantically to get attention!

None of this is a complaint, more an observation/comparison with the other three Queens where I've never felt uncomfortable or forgotten.

Overall I've noticed service can be a little less than imagine used to.  Our dinner waiter virtually throws the cups and saucers on the table at night and is clearly very rushed.  I don't think he's spoken to any of us save to take our order.  However the head waiter has for the past two nights come over several times to check all.is well with us - ahh someone loves us after all!!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

On 5/26/2024 at 10:44 AM, Megabear2 said:

Yes I have taken mine out.  It actually lay behind the top one rather than directly beneath so if I hadn't done so my long hanging space was 10 hangers in two narrow wardrobes.  This is how mine look now.  I've put the removed hanger up so you can see the width. 

On missing things I gave a strange one!  My under the sink shelf contains an unopened box of tissues, however I cannot find anywhere in the room or bathroom where a tissue dispenser can be found.  I'm tempted to open the new box and see where it travels to!

20240526_104225.jpg

Thank you for the information regarding the wardrobe conundrum.

So pleased I am not on the world cruise on QA as my 102 day outfits and 102 evening outfits plus accessories and shoes would find it difficult to cope!!

and how I would store my 16 + suitcase's beats me………

However I could take my trusty clothes rails with me and 100 hangers

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

BTW, I counted the total number of hangers (with clothes) in our huge walk in closet in our Princess Grill cabin on QUEEN VICTORIA: 84 (!).  This clothes horse would not be stabled on QUEEN ANNE for all the oats in the world. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Oh and bybthecway, no slot to be found for tissues and I now gave three boxes under the sink!

20240526_233645.jpg

Oh goodness!  I thought I’d solved it for you. Where on earth, then, is your tissue dispenser?

Edited by Mareblu
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

BTW, I counted the total number of hangers (with clothes) in our huge walk in closet in our Princess Grill cabin on QUEEN VICTORIA: 84 (!).  This clothes horse would not be stabled on QUEEN ANNE for all the oats in the world. 

Our walk-in robe on Queen Anne is spacious, more than adequate for our copious amount of clothing, which we deemed necessary for two months of travel.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Megabear2 Here I risk your wrath.  Since embarkation in Southampton until last night because they left QA today, we’ve had the delightful company of dining companions at the next table in our vicinity.  We’ve swapped tales, shared a few laughs, and generally enjoyed the ambience.  Here’s a highly intelligent and convivial Scot, she’s an elegant English woman with the cultured voice of one who’s trod the boards.  Not once, till the end of our shared dining, did either of them announce who they actually were.  It would have made no difference to me, my musical tastes are classical or 60s popular.  I’m so sorry, until now I’d never heard of Midge Ure, and maybe they relaxed with us because they sensed that and  felt they could just be themselves.  Unassuming, delightful couple. Marvellous company.  When I read bis bio, I was beyond impressed.  
Next table from tonight?  Frank Bruno.  My husband knew immediately.  What an imposing presence, with a deep, infectious, musical chuckle.

Edited by Mareblu
  • Like 14

3 hours ago, Tillypops said:

Thank you for the information regarding the wardrobe conundrum.

So pleased I am not on the world cruise on QA as my 102 day outfits and 102 evening outfits plus accessories and shoes would find it difficult to cope!!

and how I would store my 16 + suitcase's beats me………

However I could take my trusty clothes rails with me and 100 hangers

Tillypops, how wonderful to hear from you! Don’t know if you remember me from our roll call for the QM2 WV a couple of years ago, but I have often wondered how you fared with all of your gowns and luggage? How did you wind up storing them??

Actually, every time I look at the closet full of gowns I bought for that (untaken) trip, there are a couple of tears. Thinking of 2026, but have booked a place in Florida for next winter.

all the best to you!

8 hours ago, procrastiknitter said:

Tillypops, how wonderful to hear from you! Don’t know if you remember me from our roll call for the QM2 WV a couple of years ago, but I have often wondered how you fared with all of your gowns and luggage? How did you wind up storing them??

Actually, every time I look at the closet full of gowns I bought for that (untaken) trip, there are a couple of tears. Thinking of 2026, but have booked a place in Florida for next winter.

all the best to you!

Hey Procrastiknitter 

of course I remember you.

shall we chat via email?

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Hi @Megabear2,if you see Midge Ure tell him it's about 30c in Vienna.Currently sunbathing on deck of TUI Isla,@yorkshirephil is here too.

He left yesterday unfortunately but we now have Frank Bruno on, do you know what I mean 'arry.

Vienna is a wonderful city, have a sache torte for me!  Won't be doing any sunbathing here, the forecast is 11 degrees tomorrow!

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

He left yesterday unfortunately but we now have Frank Bruno on, do you know what I mean 'arry.

Vienna is a wonderful city, have a sache torte for me!  Won't be doing any sunbathing here, the forecast is 11 degrees tomorrow!

Same here for the rest of the cruise I'm afraid.And tipping it down from tomorrow.

24 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Same here for the rest of the cruise I'm afraid.And tipping it down from tomorrow.

Enjoy while you can.  We at least have no rain today, some sun and it's warm enough to sit on deck (well me and a few others anyway!)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NE John said:

I don’t think Midge Ure has received this much attention since Live Aid, 1985!

He does in my house!!!  I have a signed  Ultravox lithograph in my collection along with Ray Davies and Elbow and they hang in my hallway.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/29/2024 at 7:15 PM, Megabear2 said:

I did not have coffee or tea as I was keen to leave.  Why you may ask, well very unusually for a Cunard ship I do in some places feel a little uncomfortable as a lone traveler.  Sir Samuel's was one of those.  I cannot put my finger on what made me feel so uncomfortable but I did.

That caught my attention.   It definitely sounds like a good time is being had - and I am delighted Scotland didn't disappoint - although I must apologise for the weather in South Queensferry!

I've never felt uncomfortable as a solo traveler on Queen Mary 2, or my other current love, MSC Virtuosa.   I nearly booked Queen Anne for next year, but would be interested to hear an overall view on this once you have returned home.

• Like 1

I am very disappointed to hear that, on a brand new ship, accessibility features are so poor. Things like signage can be changed, but the lack of automatic cabin/balcony doors is really not acceptable ☹️