New Cagney’s Menu…

Interesting. When you go on the NCL website, the Haven restaurant info now says to view “sample” menu. The site previously listed detailed menus for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Now, it lists the old dinner menu as the “sample.”   I guess we’ll have to wait for folks to report back. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Posted (edited)

Focused, indeed, to sail and sustain, for our .... convenience, or not.  Can't say, without pinching my nose and biting lips, these now "2024 limited" NCL specialty dining menu changes are to enhance that exceptional experience anymore ... certainly not value-enhanced, IMHO; especially if you "wish" or sometimes "need" to add a 3rd or 4th person (adult or teen, friend or guest) to dine together.  

NCL being consistently "inconsistently" with these dining options, vouchers and coupons vis-a-vis appetizers, starters, soup & salads, number of sides vs. the waiter/server and/or asst. manager on duty's "gospel" vs. written and spoken policies in force - just "go with the flow" is one way of dealing with this, and not to get stressed out with the "freebies" (really, include in the calculated fare packages ... think about it for a moment, FAS isn't "free" over the Sailaway rate).  I've done this a good # of times over the past several years, to stop the preaching of the rules as to what's included or not, tell the server taking the order & therefore responsible for running up the charges, to cut it and just put whatever over the limits / allowances on my guest keycard's account.  Whether that's going above & beyond as our vacation hero for that day, week and/or the cruise ... go figure.  Suffice to say, it's does set my parameters on additional cash tipping given as we see fit.  

Well ... glad that - after our Prima TA last month - we've cancelled an upcoming one and put NCL on suspension against additional bookings ahead.  Of course, the grass isn't necessary greener and/or better on other mass cruise lines but we shall see & decide in person. 

Mindful of the the latest NCLH guidance and message to Wall Street, everything is on the table for the chopping block and things will continue to get dropped, not added ... that's my forecast, sadly.  We've already seen reports of things happening to the Haven experience ... Say what one wish & defend ... pretty soon, it will be a single egg breakfast on the plate and 2 eggs omelette to cut food waste further and b/c of confirmed Avian flu again & supply chain issues/rising costs again.  

Happy cruising 😬

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

Thank you. I may try the sea bass, my favorite fish. Which ones we choose will depend on my fellow travelers. My FIL also ordered the duck last time. 

Le Bistro has great chefs so I hope you enjoy it!   

I would also suggest you try their excellent Mushroom soup.  It has always been one of our favorites.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

Thank you. I may try the sea bass, my favorite fish. Which ones we choose will depend on my fellow travelers. My FIL also ordered the duck last time. 

Of the items left on the menu at Le Bistro, Dover Sole may be the best I've had.  I really miss the rack of lamb.  The current lamb offering doesn't hold a candle to it, IMO.  The Lobster Thermidor is also very good, but the $25 surcharge usually makes me shy away.

20 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Of the items left on the menu at Le Bistro, Dover Sole may be the best I've had. 

That's my go-to meal there!!

3 minutes ago, hallux said:

That's my go-to meal there!!

My wife frequently ordered the duck.  It always looked interesting and she always said she really enjoyed it.  I was planning on trying it next time.  Oh well, he who hesitates is lost.

I'm a vegetarian so I know I'm not the target audience. But I liked having the tomato salad as an option. And the onion rings (while they were mediocre) went nicely with the baked potato that was my meal. And the missing dessert is a berry crisp right? Pretty sure that's what I usually get there. Figures. 

On 6/7/2024 at 11:32 AM, valleyvillage said:

In our experience Cagney's has not had a vegetarian option. Ocean Blue has the cauliflower steak and Le Bistro has the Vegetable Napoleon. I usually get a bunch of sides. One time I just ordered the pizza from the child's menu. And I was very happy!

This is correct, however, they will get you a veg option from another nearby restaurant.  My niece got the Napoleon from Le Bistro.  I'd cleared it beforehand with the staff and it was in our notes, so I'm not sure whether they'd have done it "on the fly."

23 hours ago, david_sobe said:

The items removed does not surprise or shock me.  The prices for each item do shock me.  If someone was the pay for an appetizer, steak, 2 sides, and dessert would be $100 per person easily. In the old days 2 people could eat at Cagney's for $50 and that included everything.

It's almost like the drink package:  It's $100+/day or whatever...except it isn't.  Not sure how many people are ordering off the ala carte menu.

1 hour ago, phillygwm said:

This is correct, however, they will get you a veg option from another nearby restaurant.  My niece got the Napoleon from Le Bistro.  I'd cleared it beforehand with the staff and it was in our notes, so I'm not sure whether they'd have done it "on the fly."

I have had several veggie experiences at Cagney's. Yes, once the Napoleon. Next time I asked they found some pasta. The next time I received a polite lecture about the nature of a steak house and how they really could not accomodate vegetarians. Then the chef came out and told me he was going to fix me a nice portion risotto! And then the child's pizza. Basically, I am ready for anything at Cagney's! Always got enough to eat!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, valleyvillage said:

I have had several veggie experiences at Cagney's. Yes, once the Napoleon. Next time I asked they found some pasta. The next time I received a polite lecture about the nature of a steak house and how they really could not accomodate vegetarians. Then the chef came out and told me he was going to fix me a nice portion risotto! And then the child's pizza. Basically, I am ready for anything at Cagney's! Always got enough to eat!

I've always found the restaurants accommodating.  Once, in Le Bistro, I needed a dish without mushrooms and really preferred the filet.  The chef came out and couldn't have been nicer.  He made me something with a wine reduction which was yummy.  I found some Cruise Hero cards for him and the Somm, who also was amazing.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, valleyvillage said:

Both my young adult children are vegetarians.  Honestly, a "lecture about the nature of a steak house" is absurd, especially on a cruise ship with a limited number of restaurants. 

Especially among younger people these days, there are an awful lot of vegetarians.  People go to restaurants as groups -- Is the thought that if 1 out of 8 people in a group is a vegetarian, they should stay clear of steakhouses??

Every restaurant should have the ability to accommodate a vegetarian.  Because my mother-in-law prefers steakhouses, my kids have made due on multiple occasions -- Without any "lecture," the restaurant typically has a couple of off-menu items. And while many on-land steakhouses lack vegetarian entrees on their listed menu, they all have plentiful vegetarian sides, (which also exist at Cagney's but are becoming more limited).  

Disney -- at every theme park and cruise restaurant, now has plant-based options at every restaurant. For example, their Yachstman STEAKHOUSE offers a Trumpet Mushroom Scallop.  Their cruse based Palo steakhouse has a mushroom risotto and a spiced eggplant dish.

It's not just Cagney's -- Vegetarian options are lacking throughout NCL.  It doesn't bother me individually. But it really is limiting to a number of guests and it's behind the times. Especially with the plant-based options that are growing in availability, there is no reason not to offer more options.   Anyway, there shouldn't have been any lecture ---  It should have been an automatic, "Of course! we can prepare a plate of our side vegetables, or we can prepare a risotto!"

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

or we can prepare a risotto!"

I have no skin in the vegetarian game, so I don't care. But, you've obviously never made an authentic (or even semi-respectable) risotto.

3 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I have no skin in the vegetarian game, so I don't care. But, you've obviously never made an authentic (or even semi-respectable) risotto.

I haven’t… and I’m not a fan of risotto. But apparently they had it ready to go (no idea if it was any good!), so why not offer it without the lecture?

• Haha 1

I'm not a long time NCL cruiser but I was just telling my husband today I booked Moderno instead of steakhouse for upcoming August cruise. 

We like steakhouse meals on ships but I don't eat seafood and I was complaining why are all the apps seafood, where's the pork belly at least lol.

I think the new menu works for me  also because one less dish means I can enjoy and maybe finish a dessert instead of being so full I just take a few bites and waste it.

6 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

I haven’t… and I’m not a fan of risotto. But apparently they had it ready to go (no idea if it was any good!), so why not offer it without the lecture?

I totally agree about the "lecture". Uncalled for. But yeah, you don't just have risotto randomly sitting around, or quickly throw it together. Minute Rice and some vegetable broth, sure. But not risotto.

58 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

Disney -- at every theme park and cruise restaurant, now has plant-based options at every restaurant.

Is Disney really the model of what we should strive for?  Yikes!!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

You might be happier going to Disneyland instead of an NCL cruise.😎 No worries, we'll fill your spot.

I happily do both.  NCL for Haven experiences. DCL for better food and entertainment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, havoc315 said:

Both my young adult children are vegetarians.  Honestly, a "lecture about the nature of a steak house" is absurd, especially on a cruise ship with a limited number of restaurants. 

Especially among younger people these days, there are an awful lot of vegetarians.  People go to restaurants as groups -- Is the thought that if 1 out of 8 people in a group is a vegetarian, they should stay clear of steakhouses??

Every restaurant should have the ability to accommodate a vegetarian.  Because my mother-in-law prefers steakhouses, my kids have made due on multiple occasions -- Without any "lecture," the restaurant typically has a couple of off-menu items. And while many on-land steakhouses lack vegetarian entrees on their listed menu, they all have plentiful vegetarian sides, (which also exist at Cagney's but are becoming more limited).  

Disney -- at every theme park and cruise restaurant, now has plant-based options at every restaurant. For example, their Yachstman STEAKHOUSE offers a Trumpet Mushroom Scallop.  Their cruse based Palo steakhouse has a mushroom risotto and a spiced eggplant dish.

It's not just Cagney's -- Vegetarian options are lacking throughout NCL.  It doesn't bother me individually. But it really is limiting to a number of guests and it's behind the times. Especially with the plant-based options that are growing in availability, there is no reason not to offer more options.   Anyway, there shouldn't have been any lecture ---  It should have been an automatic, "Of course! we can prepare a plate of our side vegetables, or we can prepare a risotto!"

NCL is missing an opportunity to save $$ by not catering to vegetarians. Many simply prepared vegetables are cheaper than steak.

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Is Disney really the model of what we should strive for?  Yikes!!!

I haven’t been on a Disney cruise since 2015 because my kids have outgrown it and I’m not much of a Disney fan, but if DCL quality is the same as it was on the many cruises I took with them, Disney is the model of what NCL should strive for.  

36 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

In dining? Absolutely. 

Agreed.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

NCL is missing an opportunity to save $$ by not catering to vegetarians. Many simply prepared vegetables are cheaper than steak.

I haven’t been on a Disney cruise since 2015 because my kids have outgrown it and I’m not much of a Disney fan, but if DCL quality is the same as it was on the many cruises I took with them, Disney is the model of what NCL should strive for.  

Agreed.  

My last DCL was around 2018 or so. I’ve had some spectacular meals at Remy and Paolo, vastly superior to anything on an NCL ship.  MDR’s are nothing special, but generally about the quality of NCL specialty restaurants. 

Bur DCL is generally much more expensive than NCL… you get what you pay for. What I like about NCL is that I can often get a suite for the price a regular cabin on DCL.  

As to kids outgrowing it — one thing I love about DCL is the adult only spaces and activities.  I’ve lived my DCL mixology classes. 

27 minutes ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

I really wasn't talking about food....🤣