Do not sail on the Island Princess

so for someone onboard,,,is everything working normally now for those boarding jun 14?  and is it coming and going from brooklyn?  thanks for a live update..

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, 555 said:

You are a rare individual indeed. Most people aren't going to put up with those inconveniencies especially when there are newer ships available that don't have similar problems. 

We also like Island Princess. We have also experienced "inconveniences" on Island Princess but we did not let them impact our enjoyment of the cruise. For us, Princess was "wonderful" in dealing with these inconveniences. And for those with weak bladders, the Guest Service, (NOT HGM), who have a list of open cabins, will move them to another cabin. BTW, I never believe all the postings on cruise critic.

Edited by sultan_sfo
  • Like 1

I’m on the current Island sailing.  Issue must have been localized. We had no water for about 60 minutes but everything else is great. Food service and weather.   Only 1700 passengers this cruise.  Having a great time!   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 6/9/2024 at 6:58 PM, Ellipooh said:

Can OP leave the ship in Norfolk??

Well, I don't see why not.  They can't hold you prisoner.  Hopefully.

8 minutes ago, mya603 said:

Well, I don't see why not.  They can't hold you prisoner.  Hopefully.

@Ellipooh, Yes, you can decide to disembark, but there may be consequences. Since this ship originated in the US, disembarking in another US port would cause a PVSA violation, which the fine would be charged to the passenger as they are voluntarily leaving the ship.

I believe the OP has decided to stay and rough it out for the remainder of the sailing. It appears most of the plumbing issues have been resolved. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sultan_sfo said:

We also like Island Princess. We have also experienced "inconveniences" on Island Princess but we did not let them impact our enjoyment of the cruise. For us, Princess was "wonderful" in dealing with these inconveniences. And for those with weak bladders, the Guest Service, (NOT HGM), who have a list of open cabins, will move them to another cabin. BTW, I never believe all the postings on cruise critic.

I didn’t realize OP was offered a different room. 

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

I didn’t realize OP was offered a different room. 

I do not believe the OP was. Apparently someone els, whose room was actually flooded by the pipe break was.

What the OP apparently faced was 3 separate events, which independently would have each been fairly minor, but just happened to occur one after another over the course of 3 days.

On 6/11/2024 at 4:30 PM, wallyj said:

@Ellipooh, Yes, you can decide to disembark, but there may be consequences. Since this ship originated in the US, disembarking in another US port would cause a PVSA violation

There would be no PVSA issue *if* the required "foreign port" requirement had already been met.

1 minute ago, dockman said:

Passenger above says only 1700 pax onboard so strange that op was not just moved to another room?

I see your point but all the rooms may still be filled or out of commission for repairs. 

On 6/9/2024 at 10:52 PM, sunviking90 said:

I agree, this can happen on any ship. We had this happen on HAL twice on ships that were less than 10 years old. What stands out here, is the lack of customer service provided and the Hotel Manager being unavailable to speak to you. Things happen, but what makes the difference is how a business handles it and makes it right.

Sadly, I think these General Managers view it as a business decision. Ok, they lose you forever as a customer.... And yet there is a long list of people willing to replace you and maybe spend more onboard.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2024 at 7:51 PM, memoak said:

So if your home water heater dies how long does it take you to get a new one installed ?  Give people a break. I have been on a ship with no toilets at all for 12 hours not pleasant but it was not a deal breaker

I would pay to see the Princess clientele, or any cruise line clientele, have no flushable toilets and make ranger cakes all day.

I both believe you and don't believe you memoak.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

There would be no PVSA issue *if* the required "foreign port" requirement had already been met.

Only if it has been to a far distant port. Rather unlikely.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

I would pay to see the Princess clientele, or any cruise line clientele, have no flushable toilets and make ranger cakes all day.

I both believe you and don't believe you memoak.

No really happened we were in Mexico and the smell around the ship was not very pleasant but everyone somehow survived This was back in the early 1990’s

2 hours ago, 555 said:

I see your point but all the rooms may still be filled or out of commission for repairs. 

i do not not know but IP has 1100 rooms so 1700 dbl occupancy pax would be 850 rooms still leaving 250 empty rooms...could be lot of singles but also could be some trips and quads..something doesn't add up

• Like 1

Halifax was our first stop last Thursday.  So foreign country stop was met early on.    Arrived in Boston on Saturday where customs was delayed which resulted in long lines and frayed nerves.  Fingers crossed for a smooth disembarkation in NYC Friday. 

15 minutes ago, sailaway2joy said:

Halifax was our first stop last Thursday.  So foreign country stop was met early on.    Arrived in Boston on Saturday where customs was delayed which resulted in long lines and frayed nerves.  Fingers crossed for a smooth disembarkation in NYC Friday. 

Not sure if your post is a comment regarding PVSA if a passenger wanted to debark in Norfolk, but stop in Halifax does not qualify for ‘foreign port’ for PVSA.

I believe on east coast, only one of the ABC islands qualify. Halifax qualifies for the closed loop itineraries departing and returning to same port, like Victoria, BC does for Alaska cruises roundtrip out of Seattle.

For your sailing, since it originated in NY, if a passenger wanted to disembark in Norfolk, PVSA violation would apply.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

The other option would be to disembark at the next foreign port. 

11 hours ago, wallyj said:

Not sure if your post is a comment regarding PVSA if a passenger wanted to debark in Norfolk, but stop in Halifax does not qualify for ‘foreign port’ for PVSA.

I believe on east coast, only one of the ABC islands qualify. Halifax qualifies for the closed loop itineraries departing and returning to same port, like Victoria, BC does for Alaska cruises roundtrip out of Seattle.

For your sailing, since it originated in NY, if a passenger wanted to disembark in Norfolk, PVSA violation would apply.

Halifax qualifies as a "foreign port," but not a "distant foreign port." If the cruise originated at a US port and the passenger disembarks at a different US port, then they must have visited a DISTANT foreign port first in order to satisfy the PVSA. A non-distant "foreign port" is only useful for a closed-circuit cruise embarking and disembarking at the same US port. So if the OP had embarked in NYC, visited Halifax or any other non-distant foreign port, then disembarked at Norfolk, they would be in violation of the PVSA. If they disembark at NYC, then Halifax does qualify as a foreign port for satisfying the simple foreign port requirement of the PVSA of a closed-circuit cruise.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Halifax qualifies as a "foreign port," but not a "distant foreign port." If the cruise originated at a US port and the passenger disembarks at a different US port, then they must have visited a DISTANT foreign port first in order to satisfy the PVSA. A non-distant "foreign port" is only useful for a closed-circuit cruise embarking and disembarking at the same US port. So if the OP had embarked in NYC, visited Halifax or any other non-distant foreign port, then disembarked at Norfolk, they would be in violation of the PVSA. If they disembark at NYC, then Halifax does qualify as a foreign port for satisfying the simple foreign port requirement of the PVSA of a closed-circuit cruise.

So how does Alaska work with ships leaving Seattle and stopping in Vancouver?

I don't think it's if you have problems on a cruise. It's more like how many and how long they take. What information you receive and if the problem causes several days inconvenience what you receive in compensation. I for one would rather be relaxing, having a drink, a read, watching some football or listening to an interesting talk and dependent on weather relaxing on a sunbed rather than being on the telephone or at the reception desk having to complain about this or that. I will if necessary complain as after all you are paying for a holiday. No the Captain can't be held responsible if you miss a port due to bad weather. But there's no excuse for poor food, poor service, taking too long to sort problems out. As for refits on ships I feel that in a majority of cases they don't address the real issues that a particular ship has, it's more cosmetic like carpets and furnishings.

9 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

So what is Halifax?

I think we are miscommunicating. It is fine for a passenger to embark in Seattle and disembark in Vancouver, regardless of where else they stop, because Vancouver is a foreign port. In this case, the conversation was around the OP disembarking in Norfolk after having embarked in NYC. They stopped in Halifax, but that is not considered a "distant foreign port" so does not satisfy the PVSA requirements for a non-closed circuit cruise.

With your example of Vancouver, I assumed you meant disembarking in Vancouver, not just stopping there. If a passenger were on an Alaska cruise out of Seattle they could disembark in Seattle or Vancouver and not violate the PVSA. However, if they disembarked in any other US port (like any of the ports in Alaska), they would be in violation of the PVSA because Vancouver is not a DISTANT foreign port.

That all being said, if this were a closed-loop cruise out of Seattle, they would at least have to stop in one Canadian port (most stop in Victoria) to satisfy the PVSA requirement for a closed-loop cruise. Closed-loop cruises have to stop in at least one foreign port (doesn't have to be distant). Non closed-loop cruises that start and end in DIFFERENT US ports have to stop at a DISTANT foreign port.