Amsterdam port. Good and bad

I went on Jewel of the Sea a few weeks ago through Amsterdam. I was very impressed by the organization of the boarding process. The porters quickly took my bag and we were checked in within 10 minutes. We did arrive at our allotted time.  With the disembark that also went quite smoothly. Found our luggage and was shown the door to go out to get a taxi. There was no customs that we had to check with. The bad part was the taxi. Within minutes, the line went quickly and it was our turn to get in the taxi. We were traveling to.Haarlam, so I asked how much the cab would be. He said he uses the meter when we about 3/4 of the way to our destination I realize the meter had never been on. The cab driver charged us €185.   our hotel told us we were overcharged by at least $100. I knew enough to ask how much it would be but did not observe that the meter was not running. Everything happened so quickly that we were somewhat disorganized in our own mind. It was literally picking up luggage to in the cab in five minutes. Be sure that the meters are running in Amsterdam. Before the cruise, we stayed in Amsterdam for five days. We met a couple that was charged €185 airport to the hotel Where we were charged €85 with lots of luggage and four people. Beware of the taxis. 

Not just Amsterdam but everywhere.

If it is not a fixed fare (eg FCO airport to city area or BCN to city) then, if you have not agreed a price, make sure that the meter is runnimg.

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Not just Amsterdam but everywhere.

If it is not a fixed fare (eg FCO airport to city area or BCN to city) then, if you have not agreed a price, make sure that the meter is runnimg.

We once had the opposite problem in Athens. I asked the price and was given a price, and then the meter was run and it was much higher.

14 hours ago, renebfl said:

He said he uses the meter when we about 3/4 of the way to our destination I realize the meter had never been on. The cab driver charged us €185.   our hotel told us we were overcharged by at least $100.

Taxi drivers and/or their vehicles are usually identified by a registered taxi number In addition to the licence plate number. You could have perhaps noted his personal number and reported him to the relevant local authority otherwise he may continue doing this.

3 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Yes, this is not really a comment about 'Amsterdam port'....

I disagree.  I gave ‘Great job” comments on embarkation and disembarkation.   I gave “not so good” on the taxis they allow to work the port to take cruisers out 

3 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Amsterdam port is not far from Centraal Train Station. If you are not traveling heavy and are reasonably fit you could save a bundle by walking to there and taking the train to Haarlem or other destinations including Schiphol! Or just take the taxi to the train station.

Train Amsterdam - Haarlem from €4.90 | NS

If you are not docked in IJMuiden. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2024 at 3:32 PM, renebfl said:

I went on Jewel of the Sea a few weeks ago through Amsterdam. I was very impressed by the organization of the boarding process. The porters quickly took my bag and we were checked in within 10 minutes. We did arrive at our allotted time.  With the disembark that also went quite smoothly. Found our luggage and was shown the door to go out to get a taxi. There was no customs that we had to check with. The bad part was the taxi. Within minutes, the line went quickly and it was our turn to get in the taxi. We were traveling to.Haarlam, so I asked how much the cab would be. He said he uses the meter when we about 3/4 of the way to our destination I realize the meter had never been on. The cab driver charged us €185.   our hotel told us we were overcharged by at least $100. I knew enough to ask how much it would be but did not observe that the meter was not running. Everything happened so quickly that we were somewhat disorganized in our own mind. It was literally picking up luggage to in the cab in five minutes. Be sure that the meters are running in Amsterdam. Before the cruise, we stayed in Amsterdam for five days. We met a couple that was charged €185 airport to the hotel Where we were charged €85 with lots of luggage and four people. Beware of the taxis. 

Please share what hotel you booked and location to the port.

Tks,

A

On 6/18/2024 at 2:09 PM, TMLAalum said:

Amsterdam port is not far from Centraal Train Station. If you are not traveling heavy and are reasonably fit you could save a bundle by walking to there and taking the train to Haarlem or other destinations including Schiphol! Or just take the taxi to the train station.

Train Amsterdam - Haarlem from €4.90 | NS

Or just take the tram from the BIM house (2 minutes walk from cruise terminal) to Centraal Station. Only one stop...... Will cost € 1,22 (the same as much longer trips...of course).