Book with Celebrity or use a Travel Agent

KiRiMi

2 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Reason I use a TA.  I inquired about a 14 day TA on the Equinox yesterday that leaves 4.19.25

I got pricing for 2 room types.....Reg Balcony will be getting concierge today

Pricing is for Classic Drink and Wifi......The TA is also giving 100 obc Rate is for dbl occupancy refundable deposti

TA                           Celebrity

Reg Balcony     3312.52                        5080.08

Aqua                5315.52                         7750.08

Never any issues with the TA, easily reachable, and these rates are cheaper than the room only for this cruise.  It is not a big box one, Yes like above what Jeremiah said, does take some work at times finding one that works for you.  

So update on this, the rate for Concierge thru TA 3693.52 vs Celebrity 6429.08.  As many have mentioned have to look.  This is definitely group rates and in no way would I ever even have to watch rates because Celebrity would never beat the price, never seen it in all the cruises booked thru them.  Also as others mentioned, mine travels alot, they do many cruises and land based adventures and they steer me in the right direction.  They were a tremendous help in figuring out our Christmas Market River Cruise in 2025. so many River Cruise companies and the differention was crazy.  In truth I do initial research on what I want then reach out to them for pricing.  We will probably not be able to do this one as something called work gets in my way.  

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Also those here who claim to save thousands of dollars are no doubt booking suites or very long itineraries and cruise frequently. The average 7 day in a standard veranda booking will only see a small OBC or Bottle of wine. I never even got that with the agents I used. I actually came out an asked one if they were offering any incentive to transfer my booking and I was told no. I did all the work and you won't even throw me a bone. No thanks. I tried to book my upcoming sailing with my warehouse club and I couldn't even book the category I wanted which was a Prime Concierge. They told me that they were sold out. Meanwhile I'm 10 days away from sailing and both Prime Concierge and Prime Aqua are still available.  

Disagree, I have gotten great rates on 7 day cruises, I usually sail Concierge mainly.  Sometimes Verandah, depends on pricing.  It mainly comes down to room I want and where available, category wise.  I have never booked a suite, as its not needed or don't require it at this point.  

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Also those here who claim to save thousands of dollars are no doubt booking suites or very long itineraries and cruise frequently. The average 7 day in a standard veranda booking will only see a small OBC or Bottle of wine. I never even got that with the agents I used. I actually came out an asked one if they were offering any incentive to transfer my booking and I was told no. I did all the work and you won't even throw me a bone. No thanks. I tried to book my upcoming sailing with my warehouse club and I couldn't even book the category I wanted which was a Prime Concierge. They told me that they were sold out. Meanwhile I'm 10 days away from sailing and both Prime Concierge and Prime Aqua are still available.  

The group rates can save you thousands.  Not in a suite for my cruises.

37 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The group rates can save you thousands.  Not in a suite for my cruises.

From what I have been told by the agencies that I called not all sailings are group sailings and it seems even there I'm batting a zero. My neighbors actually got a group of 8 couples to go on a cruise and booked with a neighbor who is a Travel agent and they didn't get a group rate. It was the same as booking direct with Celebrity.

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Also those here who claim to save thousands of dollars are no doubt booking suites or very long itineraries and cruise frequently. The average 7 day in a standard veranda booking will only see a small OBC or Bottle of wine. 

You're missing out then.

2/8/26 Celebrity Beyond 

• Group Rate; Aqua Class A1, classic drinks, WiFi, refundable deposit, $630 in OBC = $4533 (a few months ago this was available for $4019)
  • Celebrity; Aqua Class A1, drinks, WiFi, nonrefundable deposit, $0 OBC = $5445 (and add $1012 for a refundable deposit)

No perk NRD rate is still $403 cheaper with a group rate and gains $460 in OBC. 

This is pretty common if you shop correctly and early enough. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212

20 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

From what I have been told by the agencies that I called not all sailings are group sailings and it seems even there I'm batting a zero. My neighbors actually got a group of 8 couples to go on a cruise and booked with a neighbor who is a Travel agent and they didn't get a group rate. It was the same as booking direct with Celebrity.

FWIW, a couple of decades ago on our very first cruise (group of 20 across 11 cabins) our TA insisted we weren't entitled to any group discounts or rates.

I kept doing more research and it consistently said that for every 8 berths we would get one berth "free" (this was 24 years ago, today it appears that it is for every 8 cabins). I kept asking and they kept saying there weren't any discounts for our group. So I finally got fed up and called Celebrity.

At first Celebrity sent me back to the TA, but I insisted that the TA wasn't doing something correctly so they ended up getting me, the TA, and them on a three way conference call. Magically, the TA was able to share that yes ...we were entitled to two "free" berths and they would have no trouble taking care of that for us. Once the call ended, they called me directly and chided me for contacting the cruise line for "no reason" and "we could have worked it out." No, I asked you about 10x and you kept giving me the run around.

To be clear. The TA didn't have an existing group on our sailing until we booked and then they decided to also cruise that sailing w/ their family. They were planning on using the two "free" berths from our group to have more of their family members sail w/ them. We were a group of first time cruisers and they thought that they could take advantage of us "not knowing better."

That was the first time I had ever used a TA and I learned a lot. Mostly to do my homework and make sure they are doing their job. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

You're missing out then.

2/8/26 Celebrity Beyond 

• Group Rate; Aqua Class A1, classic drinks, WiFi, refundable deposit, $630 in OBC = $4533 (a few months ago this was available for $4019)
  • Celebrity; Aqua Class A1, drinks, WiFi, nonrefundable deposit, $0 OBC = $5445 (and add $1012 for a refundable deposit)

I booked a 13 night TA on Apex, March 2025.  AQ/IV, cruise only and then I added on non-alcohol drinks, prem. WiFi, and grats; $4400, of course no OBC because I booked direct with Celebrity.  I don't see the benefit (most times) in using a TA.  EMMV

12 hours ago, peanut head said:

I have tried, repeatedly, over the years to find a TA who was reliable and trustworthy but have come up with a big bag of nothing.  I then transfer to the Big Box Store  Occasionally, there will be a group OBC offered, as well.

In closing, I would love to have a great TA (not just a good one) who can do all of this for me but, at this point I am jaded as to the past experiences I have had.

The jar of peanut butter that I just bought there was twice as large as from the local brick and mortar as well. 

We still use, occasionally, a certain company that advertises 10% back as well.  They used to give us a credit every time we booked but that was cut in half and then discontinued.  They forgave the charge for cancelling bookings as an Admiral.. Then covid hit and they were unreachable.  That big box store also gives us $ for annual charges.  We have also used a Canadian ex.... company that gives hotel points that are practically useless.  When one does their own research and planning, a jade ornament should be on my desk.  I would like to see a challenge.  I'll come up with a sailing and see if all these posters can find a price that is actually 10% less than the one I can find on my own. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minniemouse427 said:

That was the first time I had ever used a TA and I learned a lot. Mostly to do my homework and make sure they are doing their job. 

Getting a group together with the 8th cabin free is probably the way agencies book a bunch of cabins and split the cost of #8 between members of the group.  With the ever increasing fares, finding a 10% cut is more important than ever.  Having said that I'm looking for 7 couples who want to go on the same cruise we're on....😇

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

You're missing out then.

2/8/26 Celebrity Beyond 

Ordinary Balcony $1,353 pp $50 OBC. From V2.  Non refundable.  My drinks and everything else is already "Free"

8 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Unless it's close in or a unique sailing...challenge accepted. 

Let's pick North America, no messing around with transatlantic flights etc.

November 2025, the longest cruise available out of Florida.  Preferably a month or so, Back to back bonus.  Non-refundable, cruise only pick inside/OV/Balcony  (  I find it hard to get AQ pricing w/o calling.  I'm open for suggestions from others who claim have a 10% better rate than I can find.  (Sorry but we rather cruise for a month than pay for expensive real estate when the Retreat is already available.)

8 minutes ago, C 2 C said:

Let's pick North America, no messing around with transatlantic flights etc.

November 2025, the longest cruise available out of Florida.  Preferably a month or so, Back to back bonus.  Non-refundable, cruise only pick inside/OV/Balcony  (  I find it hard to get AQ pricing w/o calling.  I'm open for suggestions from others who claim have a 10% better rate than I can find.  (Sorry but we rather cruise for a month than pay for expensive real estate when the Retreat is already available.)

Aqua is easy. Nov 21, '25, 10 night Ascent. $5590 for All Included with $640 OBC. Celebrity wants $7019 with $0 OBC. 

8 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Aqua is easy. Nov 21, '25, 10 night Ascent. $5590 for All Included with $640 OBC. Celebrity wants $7019 with $0 OBC. 

Now how much for nothing included?  Just Aqua.  I just posted Celebrity's pricing screen. $5420 for AQ, $1,600 less than the HIA.

2 hours ago, minniemouse427 said:

FWIW, a couple of decades ago on our very first cruise (group of 20 across 11 cabins) our TA insisted we weren't entitled to any group discounts or rates.

I kept doing more research and it consistently said that for every 8 berths we would get one berth "free" (this was 24 years ago, today it appears that it is for every 8 cabins). I kept asking and they kept saying there weren't any discounts for our group. So I finally got fed up and called Celebrity.

At first Celebrity sent me back to the TA, but I insisted that the TA wasn't doing something correctly so they ended up getting me, the TA, and them on a three way conference call. Magically, the TA was able to share that yes ...we were entitled to two "free" berths and they would have no trouble taking care of that for us. Once the call ended, they called me directly and chided me for contacting the cruise line for "no reason" and "we could have worked it out." No, I asked you about 10x and you kept giving me the run around.

To be clear. The TA didn't have an existing group on our sailing until we booked and then they decided to also cruise that sailing w/ their family. They were planning on using the two "free" berths from our group to have more of their family members sail w/ them. We were a group of first time cruisers and they thought that they could take advantage of us "not knowing better."

I learned about the every 8 cabin rule from an article on cruise critic. Now they are up to 10 couples and no incentive. Maybe the 10th couple is the travel agent. I don't know but I'm booked on my own Celebrity cruise on a different week so I'm not going to concern myself but this is another travel agent I can cross off the list.

On 9/14/2024 at 11:40 AM, KiRiMi said:

Hi,  we are looking at several cruise options on Celebrity in the next few months.  We haven’t sailed on Celebrity for a few years.  What are your experiences/ recommendations with using a travel agent vs. booking directly with Celebrity?  TIA

FYI--- I haven't read any of the other posts so I might be duplicating.

Here's what we have done for " years "--- .

We book with Celebrity and immediately have our booking sent directly to Big Box Travel Agency -- nothing changes on the booking.

Benefits:

If any questions arise, we contact Big Box Travel who have a number to call Celebrity and get through very quickly while we are on " Hold ".

On return from the cruise we receive a Gift Card from Big Box Travel within a week or two based on 8-9% of what we paid for the cruise.

There is always an Agent at BBT who can access any booking so we don't have to wait for return phone call from a TA who is out golfing, playing hockey, watching football or eating a couple of steamies ( steamed hot dogs ) and poutine ( fries covered with cheese curds and gravy )-- uummm good !

We never had a problem.

Edited by Pinboy
Forgot a word
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Now I'm in the mood for poutine.

Here's what I would do at this hour re eating poutine:

Don't tell " You know who " that I'm going out for some poutine--- the " suffering " would be worse than the heart burn.

Also, never admit to your Cariologist ( hope you don't have one ) that you eat poutine ----even after a game of golf or watching Les Canadiens ( Montreal Canadians ) with him/her. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Here's what I would do at this hour re eating poutine:

Don't tell " You know who " that I'm going out for some poutine--- the " suffering " would be worse than the heart burn.

Also, never admit to your Cariologist ( hope you don't have one ) that you eat poutine ----even after a game of golf or watching Les Canadiens ( Montreal Canadians ) with him/her. 

I have both a wife and a cardiologist. The good news for them is that googling “poutine near me” results in a 10 hour drive for me. 

• Haha 2

Just booked a cruise through the compete site - Posted my intended cruise and TAs sent in their offers. Got a cabin with refundable deposit at the same price as the non-refundable on the Celebrity site, and with gratuities covered.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2024 at 1:40 AM, KiRiMi said:

Hi,  we are looking at several cruise options on Celebrity in the next few months.  We haven’t sailed on Celebrity for a few years.  What are your experiences/ recommendations with using a travel agent vs. booking directly with Celebrity?  TIA

Based on my previous experience with Celebrity Cruises I would book with them directly.They were super helpful in rearranging a booking for us.

12 hours ago, Pinboy said:

FYI--- I haven't read any of the other posts so I might be duplicating.

Here's what we have done for " years "--- .

We book with Celebrity and immediately have our booking sent directly to Big Box Travel Agency -- nothing changes on the booking.

Benefits:

If any questions arise, we contact Big Box Travel who have a number to call Celebrity and get through very quickly while we are on " Hold ".

On return from the cruise we receive a Gift Card from Big Box Travel within a week or two based on 8-9% of what we paid for the cruise.

There is always an Agent at BBT who can access any booking so we don't have to wait for return phone call from a TA who is out golfing, playing hockey, watching football or eating a couple of steamies ( steamed hot dogs ) and poutine ( fries covered with cheese curds and gravy )-- uummm good !

We never had a problem.

I do the same but usually wait a few weeks to transfer to big box TA. In addition to the 9% back there is another 2% for executive members and 3.5% cash back on my CC. I do use a local agent for booking of companies that the big box does not participate with. The big box does not participate in the move up program, but neither do I.

• Like 1