Northern Lights Questions

Clay Clayton

Would love answers and/or advice from previous cruisers of the “In Search of the Northern Lights” itinerary. 

1. Considering booking one of the “Chasing Northern Lights” tours independently. If you have done one of these did you find it a good value or do you think we can stand about as good a chance of seeing them from Alta or Trømso from onboard or perhaps using city transport to get away from the city lights?

2. If we decide to do one of these tours, we have the option of a bus with a restroom (and potentially 48 new friends) or a 14-16 passenger van with no restroom.  Any advice on either if you’ve done one or the other?

3. If your itinerary ended in Tilbury, do you recall if Viking offered transfers to Gatwick?

TIA!

Lights in Tromsø shouldn't be much of a problem, and in Alta even less.  We lived in Tromsø a couple of winters, and saw the aurora nearly every evening, usually around dog-walking time - 9:30ish?  While it's true that there may have been a fair amount of development since then, I'd worry more about the ship's lights.

• Thanks 1

We did the NL cruise in Feb 2019.  Nice itinerary but we didn’t see the lights ☹️.  We did an optional excursion with Viking (Alta) but there were several busses filled with too many people going to one location.  If we were to do it again, we’d absolutely arrange to do one or more small private tours.  Loved “Lifestyle of the Sami” and “Arctic Landscapes by Husky” excursions.

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2024 at 6:23 PM, carolinetodd said:

Lights in Tromsø shouldn't be much of a problem, and in Alta even less.  We lived in Tromsø a couple of winters, and saw the aurora nearly every evening, usually around dog-walking time - 9:30ish?  While it's true that there may have been a fair amount of development since then, I'd worry more about the ship's lights.

On 9/18/2024 at 9:02 PM, Frenchberet said:

We did the NL cruise in Feb 2019.  Nice itinerary but we didn’t see the lights ☹️.  We did an optional excursion with Viking (Alta) but there were several busses filled with too many people going to one location.  If we were to do it again, we’d absolutely arrange to do one or more small private tours.  Loved “Lifestyle of the Sami” and “Arctic Landscapes by Husky” excursions.

Thanks!

My husband has reminded me that the second year we spent there, when I remember the lights being so frequent, was a year of high solar activity, and that in my rosy view of the past, "several times a week" has become "nearly every night" - sorry, didn't mean to be misleading.  Regardless, Lifestyle of the Sami and Arctic Landscapes by Husky both sound awesome.

• Like 1

We did Northern Lights in February 2022 …. Tilbury to Bergen ….very rough across North Sea and missed one stop going north in Norway. It was, for us, almost as cold as we’ve ever had, but it was stunning. And then there was the lights. This was anticipated by the weather forecast - presented daily in the theatre focussing on the “weather” on the Sun - that gave an assessment of activity in about 4 days hence … fascinating stuff.

We saw brilliant lights from the ship in both Tromso and Alta …. we had 2 excursions from the ship (meaning Viking arranged) one of which was bang average and the other was stunning. The first was in a mini van with no facilities the second was by coach which joined other folks at a Sami location with shelter toilets and hot drinks - all very useful whilst gazing upwards.

One of our favourite Viking adventures - even enjoyed looking at the snow on the balcony and walking round the top deck covered in rubber matting - and ice.

Good Luck

• Thanks 1

My husband and I were on the Viking Sky March 2019. We saw Northern Lights from the ship two or three times. We went on a private 14 pax van Chasing the lights tour in Alta, I think. We saw a few lights but the clouds really limited visibility. The tour guide was really good and we tried more than one spot but it was just cloudy.

If I were doing it again, I’d sacrifice the small group for a warm bus and a bathroom.

Our cruise was supposed to end in Tilsbury but we disembarked in Molde and flew to Gatwick on a charter.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cruzzzinma said:

My husband and I were on the Viking Sky March 2019. We saw Northern Lights from the ship two or three times. We went on a private 14 pax van Chasing the lights tour in Alta, I think. We saw a few lights but the clouds really limited visibility. The tour guide was really good and we tried more than one spot but it was just cloudy.

If I were doing it again, I’d sacrifice the small group for a warm bus and a bathroom.

Our cruise was supposed to end in Tilsbury but we disembarked in Molde and flew to Gatwick on a charter.

You must of been on Sky when it had its “incident”. Glad you made it home safely!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SoCray4Cruz said:

Our cruise (Iberian Explorer) ended in Tilbury. I don’t think transfers to Gatwick were offered.  Very expensive transfers to Heathrow were.  We spent time in London afterwards & got a private car into town using the Rome2Rio app

Thanks!   I’m surprised the transfer wasn’t $49pp that’s the usual and what I believe friends paid to Heathrow last year. 

My wife and I travelled with another couple on Viking's "In Search of the Northern Lights" cruise in Feb/March of 2020.  It was the last cruise before COVID shutdowns.  I looked up the websites of the tour providers we used and both appear to be up and running now.

In Tromso, we booked a northern Lights tour with Tromsø Friluftsenter, (info@tromso-friluftsenter.no).  We were very fortunate to have a clear sky with lots of aurora activity.  It was, however, bitterly cold.  We met their bus by the hotel right outside where the ship was docked.  They take a maximum of 16 people.  Although they will drive all over to get a clear view of the sky, this night did not require that and we drove to their "base camp".  Inside the lavvu (a round, native Sami shelter) we sat around the fire and roasted marshmallows waiting for the light to appear.  They provided tripods for the photographers in the group, warm snowsuits to go over your clothes.  An outhouse was available for those needing it.   The location is along a small lake with a small community on the other side.  It made for wonderful northern lights photographs, as I think having some foreground in the photo is preferable to just green lights up in the sky.  Their web site provides an accurate description of the tour.  They were very good to work with and I recommend them highly.

In Alta we booked with Luuso Northern Lights Tours.  Unfortunately, the lights did not cooperate.  Here is my Trip Advisor review:

"We boarded the beautiful Lusso bus on a cold and overcast night. Per greeted us in his Sami costume. He said things did not look good. He showed us sky cams from all over the area and also the Aurora forecast. He volunteered to go, but told us we had a very slim chance of seeing any lights. We agreed that cancelling was the best choice (especially since the previous night in Tromso had been so wonderful).  We did not pay anything.

They have several 4 minute films about the northern lights and Sami reindeer herding, which he showed us on the bus. He answered questions and gave us a sample of reindeer jerky and then a small package of jerky to take home. Luuso is Per's family name and the reindeer film was shot by his uncle. After a very enjoyable 45 minutes on the bus in the parking lot, we got off and took a photo with Per."

You can read all about the tour inclusions, etc. on their website.  As the actual tour was cancelled, Per did not charge us anything that night.

The Viking sponsored busses did depart the city and drove around for a few hours but never saw anything.  

We did see the lights from the ship on two evenings, but as the deck lights are not completely turned off it was not optimal.

Good luck with your Northern Lights chase!

On 9/21/2024 at 11:57 AM, cruzzzinma said:

We too were on that voyage. In Alta we signed up for a private 8 passenger van tour. The driver was in constant radio contact with other drivers to locate good viewing spots, and the small group size - congenial folks all - allowed the flexibility to pack up and move quickly and easily to another site.

• Like 1

I did a private, small van tour on Tromso first day.  We had rest stop at a local service station ( 7/11 type).  Small group would always be my choice since they are so nimble.  Our guide said all the local guides are in touch with each other to make sure not to over impact any one area.  We had a nice spot on a frozen lake which made for excellent photography.  If you are a photographer, make sure you have back up battery.  We also lost a full port day in Narvik and very altered port times due to stormy seas.  We did see lights from the ship in Tromso and I saw in Alta with effort

The NL themselves were not at the overwhelming level that some of us experienced earlier this year from our homes.  But they were there

For safety buffer I suggest booking your private night tour for your first port day.  This gives you freedom to stay out very late.  Most of the private tour companies understand the challenges of port time and of the issue of weather.  They offer generous refund policy.

I did London / Bergen circuit so cannot offer that info.  As a dedicated UK traveler, though, get to Gatwick by rail is easy if you are mobile you should have no issue.  Gatwick is served by trains from Victoria.   I would caution, however that it might be wise to build in a buffer day for the end.  A 2023 sailing was 2 days late arriving in Tilbury due to weather 

17 hours ago, JDincalif said:

We too were on that voyage. In Alta we signed up for a private 8 passenger van tour. The driver was in constant radio contact with other drivers to locate good viewing spots, and the small group size - congenial folks all - allowed the flexibility to pack up and move quickly and easily to another site.

5 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

I did a private, small van tour on Tromso first day.  We had rest stop at a local service station ( 7/11 type).  Small group would always be my choice since they are so nimble.  Our guide said all the local guides are in touch with each other to make sure not to over impact any one area.  We had a nice spot on a frozen lake which made for excellent photography.  If you are a photographer, make sure you have back up battery.  We also lost a full port day in Narvik and very altered port times due to stormy seas.  We did see lights from the ship in Tromso and I saw in Alta with effort

The NL themselves were not at the overwhelming level that some of us experienced earlier this year from our homes.  But they were there

For safety buffer I suggest booking your private night tour for your first port day.  This gives you freedom to stay out very late.  Most of the private tour companies understand the challenges of port time and of the issue of weather.  They offer generous refund policy.

I did London / Bergen circuit so cannot offer that info.  As a dedicated UK traveler, though, get to Gatwick by rail is easy if you are mobile you should have no issue.  Gatwick is served by trains from Victoria.   I would caution, however that it might be wise to build in a buffer day for the end.  A 2023 sailing was 2 days late arriving in Tilbury due to weather 

Thanks for the advice!  Decisions, Decisions!

• Like 2

We took a bus tour out of Tromso.  It was called Chasing the lights, or something like that.  (I can look it up and post a link if you can't find it).  The bus was about half full but of course that will vary.  It had a restroom, and the guides almost encouraged us to use it.  My experience with Viking busses is they encourage you NOT to use it.

Anyway, we followed the Viking bus for a while, and they stopped in a cloudy area.  Our bus continued on to a clear area where we were awarded with a good show.  Our guides said they call this the "chasing lights" tour because that's exactly what they do, sometimes going into Finland if necessary. (We overnighted in Tromso so it didn't matter if we got back late).  I highly recommend this tour.  Note:  I wish I had taken hiking poles for stability because there were some icy patches where we stopped.

This is a time of maximum solar activity and if the night is clear, you will see them from the ship.  Make sure you tune your TV to the bridge channel and leave it on so you can hear the announcements about the lights.

We embarked from Tilbury so I can't answer your question about transfers. 

1 hour ago, The Other Tom said:

Make sure you tune your TV to the bridge channel and leave it on so you can hear the announcements about the lights.

As an aside, we learned on our last cruise that there is a 45 second delay with the PA and TV. The cruise director noted that if you hear an announcement coming from the hallway, you have time to turn on your TV and hear the whole thing.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, The Other Tom said:

We took a bus tour out of Tromso.  It was called Chasing the lights, or something like that.  (I can look it up and post a link if you can't find it).  The bus was about half full but of course that will vary.  It had a restroom, and the guides almost encouraged us to use it.  My experience with Viking busses is they encourage you NOT to use it.

Anyway, we followed the Viking bus for a while, and they stopped in a cloudy area.  Our bus continued on to a clear area where we were awarded with a good show.  Our guides said they call this the "chasing lights" tour because that's exactly what they do, sometimes going into Finland if necessary. (We overnighted in Tromso so it didn't matter if we got back late).  I highly recommend this tour.  Note:  I wish I had taken hiking poles for stability because there were some icy patches where we stopped.

This is a time of maximum solar activity and if the night is clear, you will see them from the ship.  Make sure you tune your TV to the bridge channel and leave it on so you can hear the announcements about the lights.

We embarked from Tilbury so I can't answer your question about transfers. 

Thank you so much!

Clay,

I had a similar conversation with one of my children the other day who was considering a trip to Iceland to see the lights, He lives in Washington State.

I saw the Northern Lights a few times growing up in Maine and one in College near the 45th parallel I saw them amazing one night.

I suggested to my son that rather than a trip to a location with moisture that he research the best time to view the aurora in Fairbanks, Alaska.  Being in the interior and far north one would have a better chance of cloudless nights.

While I have experience both temperature measures meet at 40 below, an ocean cruise in the dark cold does not sound like my preferred experience.  Having said that I do understand the lure and thrill of this cruise.

Enjoy

• Haha 1

On 9/21/2024 at 2:57 PM, cruzzzinma said:

Greetings to a fellow "Survivor"!!!  Yep, my wife and I were there also. Hard to believe it's 5 years ago already. Not sure I have anything to add for Clay's inquiry other than what you already stated. While the evening excursion was fun (well...except for really cold), what we saw at the place near Alta (I seem to recall they also did evening trips out of Tromso as well) was not near as good as right from the ship.

Clay:  It's 'luck of the draw' for sure. As Frenchberet indicated, on his cruise they didn't have any sightings at all. I've seen some amazing pictures posted from the evening trips however. We did it with Viking, but others (such as already posted here) used private companies. The best part of the evening was occasionally going into the lodge for hot chocolate and muffins! Would I go out on an evening sojourn again? Quite honestly probably not. I think the one Viking group stayed out REALLY long and drove well over a hundred miles - got back to the ship at something like 3 a.m.

All that said, GO!  It's an amazing trip. The scenery sailing north just got better and better as it went along. You're very well traveled, and so have already been to Norway according to your list of cruises. We hadn't been there before, so it was all new and exciting (perhaps a bad choice of words given what happened at the end!). And, some of the ship excursions were great. I'll gladly share more on any of those if you're interested. It was a most unique journey in several ways for sure. I'll never forget seeing those lights. As far as a van with or without a restroom, at my age I'd opt for the restroom every time over not having one 😁

Here's an interesting link regarding solar cycles. We're currently in cycle 25. https://www.space.com/what-is-solar-maximum-and-when-will-it-happen

I would strongly recommend getting an aurora app for your phone that helps determine the Kp index. I had downloaded one of those and also a northern lights photo app. I'm not into fancy camera gear, but got a few decent pictures with my phone. My regular 35mm 'point and shoot' as well as my Sony camcorder were useless. You really should have a tripod also.

Hope some of that helps. Safe travels, and wishing you amazing sightings if you decide to go.

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 9/18/2024 at 6:07 PM, JeffElizabeth said:

Colorado is getting the Northern Lights lately!  The flares seem to be getting more powerful.

Yeah this solar activity is amazing lately. There have been some good sightings here in PA also.

On 9/21/2024 at 2:57 PM, cruzzzinma said:

Our cruise was supposed to end in Tilsbury but we disembarked in Molde

Awww...you didn't mention the real fun part. We disembarked on a rope hanging from a chopper. 😉  What that Norwegian CHC rescue operation did for about half the passengers was nothing short of astounding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Greetings to a fellow "Survivor"!!!  Yep, my wife and I were there also. Hard to believe it's 5 years ago already. Not sure I have anything to add for Clay's inquiry other than what you already stated. While the evening excursion was fun (well...except for really cold), what we saw at the place near Alta (I seem to recall they also did evening trips out of Tromso as well) was not near as good as right from the ship.

Clay:  It's 'luck of the draw' for sure. As Frenchberet indicated, on his cruise they didn't have any sightings at all. I've seen some amazing pictures posted from the evening trips however. We did it with Viking, but others (such as already posted here) used private companies. The best part of the evening was occasionally going into the lodge for hot chocolate and muffins! Would I go out on an evening sojourn again? Quite honestly probably not. I think the one Viking group stayed out REALLY long and drove well over a hundred miles - got back to the ship at something like 3 a.m.

All that said, GO!  It's an amazing trip. The scenery sailing north just got better and better as it went along. You're very well traveled, and so have already been to Norway according to your list of cruises. We hadn't been there before, so it was all new and exciting (perhaps a bad choice of words given what happened at the end!). And, some of the ship excursions were great. I'll gladly share more on any of those if you're interested. It was a most unique journey in several ways for sure. I'll never forget seeing those lights. As far as a van with or without a restroom, at my age I'd opt for the restroom every time over not having one 😁

Here's an interesting link regarding solar cycles. We're currently in cycle 25. https://www.space.com/what-is-solar-maximum-and-when-will-it-happen

I would strongly recommend getting an aurora app for your phone that helps determine the Kp index. I had downloaded one of those and also a northern lights photo app. I'm not into fancy camera gear, but got a few decent pictures with my phone. My regular 35mm 'point and shoot' as well as my Sony camcorder were useless. You really should have a tripod also.

Hope some of that helps. Safe travels, and wishing you amazing sightings if you decide to go.

Oh we are going-already booked.  Now it’s the fun stuff, the planning!  Thanks for your input. We recognize that we may see no lights but want to take as many opportunities to do so that we can afford-both financially and physically. Right now we are likely to do Viking’s included excursions everywhere except Tromso since the other ports are new to us.  We’ve been to Amsterdam before but since we have a short day there, don’t dock actually there, and don’t think we’ve done a canal cruise figure it’s the best thing for us to do. Any suggestions in the other ports (except for helicopter evacuations) will be appreciated 

• Like 1