digital cameras

refman

our family cruise vacation leaves on 4/8 and i`ll admit to waiting to the last minute but my 15 yr. old would like her own digital camera. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.i`m sure they sell them on the zuiderdam but with a limeted selection. thanx in advance

That's like asking "how long is a piece of string." ;) There are so many variables. The main thing you need to determine is how serious will she be about using it. If it will be mainly for this trip and occasional "fun" shots back home, then I wouldn't invest much. A 2 or 3 megapixel camera produces perfectly acceptable prints. Only if you want to print 8" x 10" or larger would you need higher resolution (more megapixels.)

I would get a camera with the best lens possible in the price range you're wanting to spend. Megapixels can only capture what comes through the lens, and if they're not high quality glass then the image hitting the sensors will not be as sharp and clear as you might want.

On the other hand, if it's just a fun camera for her and quality prints aren't necessary, go with a simple and inexpensive entry-level camera.

Good luck.

my 15 yr. old would like her own digital camera. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We got our son a Canon PowerShot SD300 and liked it so well we got the newer model for ourselves. It's seriously tiny and even takes great videos (on the highest resolution, the lower resolution videos are REALLY grainy). I also have a serious digital camera--a Canon Digital Rebel--which I use for 'important' stuff. (Good photography is all about the lens, don't you know.) But we love, love, love our tiny one, too.

Robin

our digital works really well but the one thing we really, really wish we had spent a few extra bucks for was to get audio for the video clips....makes a huge difference for "people shots"

.i`m sure they sell them on the zuiderdam but with a limeted selection. thanx in advance

I don't recall ever seeing cameras being sold on the ship except for those camera to take under water pictures. I could be wrong and just didn't notice. Play it safe. Buy the camera before you leave.

That's like asking "how long is a piece of string." ;) There are so many variables. The main thing you need to determine is how serious will she be about using it. If it will be mainly for this trip and occasional "fun" shots back home, then I wouldn't invest much. A 2 or 3 megapixel camera produces perfectly acceptable prints. Only if you want to print 8" x 10" or larger would you need higher resolution (more megapixels.)

I would get a camera with the best lens possible in the price range you're wanting to spend. Megapixels can only capture what comes through the lens, and if they're not high quality glass then the image hitting the sensors will not be as sharp and clear as you might want.

On the other hand, if it's just a fun camera for her and quality prints aren't necessary, go with a simple and inexpensive entry-level camera.

Good luck.

The only thing I could add to Jim's excellent post is that optical zoom is more important than digital zoom. All of these cameras have a zoom feature, but digital zoom only enlarges the pixel, not the image. You will get higher quality prints with optical zoom.

That being said, if your daughter is only going to display the photos on a computer, or 4x6 prints, then any of today's "name-brand" cameras will do well.

Don't spend a lot of money on high end equipment...digital photography now is like computers were 5 or 10 years ago. What you buy today will be outdated in two months. (Don't forget to buy plenty of spare batteries, or rechargable. Digital cameras eat these quickly. Also don't forget to buy a large capacity or additional memory cards.)

Take a look here ---> http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=283967

There are 130 posts in this thread... not all on topic of course.

But a lot of good info.

Then you might want to look here ---> http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=87

After that, if you have time left to buy a camera before you leave, then happy shooting. :D

I might suggest, if you're really serious about researching a digital camera, that you check out http://www.dpreview.com/ . I've found this site to be one of the better ones in terms of getting fairly unbiased reviews of cameras. Personally we used a Nikon D-70 and a older Sony Cybershot. The Nikon is really a fine camera but not exactly a "grab and go" camera and I'd not recommend it for the casual user. We're looking to replace the Sony and probably will go with another Sony, maybe the DSC-R1. We've looked at the other newer models, across a number of brands, and while the Sony is somewhat large it just fits better in our hands. A lot of the newer models are very small, which is fine if you want to simply stuff them in a pocket or purse, but we don't like the small buttons/controls.

PS - You can sometimes buy digital cameras on the ship from the photo people but I can't say they have the latest models or the best prices. Be careful buying any camera equipment in a port, not all are covered by US warranty. Some are and I've bought some good Nikon equipment in St Maarten that is fully covered though I've never had any problem with the equipment so have never had to use the warranties.

Buy the camera weeks before you cruise. That is the best way to try all the extras a camera can offer.

The best way to get best photos of your cruise ....

If you just want a camera for this trip CVS has a "throw away" digital camera. It runs about $ 19.00 and is great for "vacation" purposes. It doesn't zoom. But you can delete your last picture if you don't like it. It has a view screen. I liked it because I didn't have to worry about buying an expensive camera for my kids and worry about them leaving it somewhere. It's also great for last minute trips.

Linda

I'm a web designer by trade, as well as a serious amateur photographer. I've tried a whole range of cameras over the years (and seen the results of my clients' cameras) and keep coming back to Canon. I've never been disappointed with one.

Most folks buy more camera than they need. A 4 megapixel model is fine for almost all photos, at least up to 11x14. You can even go to 20x30 poster size and have about the same quality as a good 35mm negative would produce.

I have recommended the Canon A520 to folks starting out. It's got 4 megapixels, allows you to use AA alkaline batteries or rechargeables, and is reasonably compact. It's also simple and easy to learn. You can get it for around $170, but you'll probably want a case, an extra memory card (the ones they give you with the camera hold just a few photos), some rechargeable batteries and a charger, and don't forget a card reader - avoid connecting your camera directly to a computer. Remove the memory card and put in a card reader attached to a USB computer port to avoid damage to the camera.

Good luck!

Lots of folks recommend Canons- but you have to install proprietary software in order to download pix to a computer - Sony's, Nikon's and most others don't.

I bought a Nikon Coolpix S1 before my last Alaska cruise - a bit spendy, but well worth it. Dad liked it so much that he got himself one too! :D

Both of our Canons were plug and play on the downloads with our Windows XP OS. I;m technically challenged, and it was very easy.

For a 15 year old, lcs had a great idea with the throwaway camera. Teens are forever leaving things laying around, and you don't want that to happen with a $170+ camera. Target, Walmart and stores like them usually have some slightly better cameras, but for a 15 year old (I have one), I'd spend less than $100.

You're leaving soon, so get it today if possible to let that teen play with it as much as possible. *or* give it to them at the airport, with batteries and a case. It'll give them something to play with on the plane.

IMHO, a digital camera is a fabulous idea for a teen on a cruise. It keeps them busy and interested.

I'll admit I'm biased about Canons; I think they're easy and have great lenses. Amazon has a Canon Powershot 400 for $79.99. If you can do overnight shipping, you'll probably have it in time. Be sure to take extra batteries!

Here's a link to 3 cameras under $100 from Walmart. They probably have more. http://www.walmart.com/search/browse-ng.do?ref=125875.244092+500566.500586

Best wishes and have fun!

Lots of folks recommend Canons- but you have to install proprietary software in order to download pix to a computer -

We have a Canon EOS Digital Rebel and a Canon PowerShot SD400 Digital Elph, and I just use a card reader to transfer the pictures to my computer then I view them using the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer or I open them in Adobe PhotoShop Elements. My son with the SD 300 uses a cable to attach his camera to a public computer in Korea to send home pictures to use. I'm pretty sure we don't have any kind of proprietary software, but I'm technologically stupid so it's possible.

Robin

I don't recall ever seeing cameras being sold on the ship except for those camera to take under water pictures. I could be wrong and just didn't notice. Play it safe. Buy the camera before you leave.

oops, double post!

They sell digital cameras in the photo kiosk areas on a few of the ships - I almost bought one, the prices were very reasonable.

To answer th OP's question, we bought our daughter the Kodak EasyShare digital camera with it's own printer - she is 13 and loves it. It is very easy to use and did not cost and arm and a leg - we worried as she has the tendency to "leave things" places and didn't want to spend a fortune.

Lots of folks recommend Canons- but you have to install proprietary software in order to download pix to a computer - Sony's, Nikon's and most others don't.

Canon digital cameras do not require any proprietary software to download to a computer. Just remove the card from the camera, insert into an appropriate card reader, and your computer treats it as though it were another device like a disk. Images are stored in JPEG format and are compatible with any imaging software.

I bought a Nikon Coolpix S1 before my last Alaska cruise - a bit spendy, but well worth it. Dad liked it so much that he got himself one too! :D

And I liked Brian's so well, that I bought one when I got home!!!

I LOVE it - it's small enough to fit in my pocket and takes great photos (once I figured out the proper direction to point it while we were all at Grand Turk, lol! ... those beers didn't help any though.... ;) )

I think the one I got is the S5 though, but it looks just like Brian's.

My husband has the Pentax D50 which is just too large to carry around all the time!!! So I love my little Nikon.

as some of the others have said.. most people on average need just a 3mp camera... I currently am using a Canon SD200 Elph 3 mp .. one of the 'little guys'.. takes pretty decent pics... mainly need it for 4x6 and an occasional 5x7 as well as email and web postings.. has a 3x OPTICAL zoom... if anyone tries to sell you a camera pushing DIGITAL ZOOM.. walk away.. it is essentially useless.. OPTICAL ZOOM is the important one.. so key on that..

I have an older Canon S45 4mp.. wife has a Canon A75... both those are bigger and bulkier.. now I'm looking at the Canon SD 700 4x Optical Zoom with IS.. Image Stabilization..it just came out.. she wants my SD200..

for convenience the smaller cameras are overall better for me.. you can stick it in a pocket or carry it in a fanny pack or pocketbook for the ladies...

another decent Digital Camera review site is at http://www.steves-digicams.com

on this site you can Compare images from two different cameras from the drop down menus at the top..

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

other camera review sites..

http://www.megapixel.net/html/reviews.php

http://reviews.cnet.com/4566-6501_7-0.html?tag=dir

http://www.imaging-resource.com

here's the Canon site http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=113

and of course you have to take your own picture online with this site.. this is a must.. just click on the MAGIC CYBER CAMERA link on the site and follow the e-z instructions:D

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/3072/camera1.html?B1=%3C%3C+Restart

Take a look at the many models Kodak has. The quality of optics is good even on the lowest priced ones. The software is easy to use. Get optical zoom, not just digital. Get an optical viewfinder rather than having to use the screen - you can't always see the image very well on screen is bright light. Buy before you go so you can become familiar with the camera, and I'm sure it will be much less expensive than on the ship.

A 518 memory card is good for almost 400 pictures at 4 megapixels. If you get rechargeable batteries, the chargers work fine on HAL ships, which use 110 V current. Some of the small Kodak cameras will fit in a pocket easily so you'll have it with you when you want it.

That isn't true if you you use a card reader instead of the slow camera to computer connection.

Canon makes excellent digital cameras. Stevesdigicams.com has a list of "best of category" cameras, and for travel, I really like the Canon S2-IS

I highly recommend my little number ... fits in the left pocket of a shirt! It's an Olympus Stylus 300. It takes fantastic pictures; I couldn't be happier.

I second the Olympus. I bought an Olympus 575 zoom for our Med' cruise a couple of years ago. Just love it, it is simple to use and produces excellent pictures.

Archived