RCL Wine and Liquor Policies and Prices (Merged)

I just called RCCL and the rep told me that we can bring on 2 bottles of wine per peson as long as they do not offer it. They will take it at the pier and when we want it, all we have to do is ask for it. There is a $12 corckage fee and she recommended taking it with our cary on luggage. I think the only reason it is to go with our carry on luggage is so they can spot it and take it. She did not think the $12 included a tip.

We carried ours on with no problem last weekend.

The corkage did include a tip.

My husband and I just got off the Monarch of the Seas after a three day cruise. We have (in recent times) carried, in our carry-on luggage, a few bottles of wine. For our short weekend cruise we packed one white and one red for the 2 of us for 3 days. Much to our surprise, the 2 bottles were confiscated before we got on board. We were given the choice of either having the wine brought to our room that day or to the dining room that night. We chose to the room so we could start chilling the wine. Unfortunately, the bartender who took the two bottles from us misinformed us and as we were told later we would get our wine back on Sunday before we disembarked. We eventually did get our wine in the dining room but it took quite awhile, and my having go up the chain of command. So I'm just letting everyone know that there is a zero tolerance for any liquor, beer, or wine that is carried on to any RCCL ship. So if you were planning on bringing any onboard pack it in your checked baggage and don't pack the wine or whatever else you want to drink in your carryon bags.

Every time since 2002 we've sailed from LA on Royal Caribbean there is an alcohol check table, so that's not a new policy or stricter enforcement in LA. I'll be interested to see if the other ports start confiscating alcohol - I haven't seen it in Vancouver or in Barcelona.

If being able to drink good, reasonably priced wine were one of the top criteria we use to evaluate a line, we'd be Princess cruisers at the expense of RCI - not only can you bring your own wine onboard, have a good selection of wine and a fairly priced list.

I would think that from a liability standpoint RCCL would be better off with people smuggling. It's clearly against their policy. By drinking alcohol that has been smuggled into your cabin, you are releasing them of responsibility. If they put a stop to all smuggling, then they have no scapegoat in litigation. They can no longer blame it on people drinking excessively in their cabins. If I were their lawyers, I'd prefer they accidentally miss the smuggled liquor, so I would have a legitimate argument against lawsuits. We don't drink in our cabin, but I think any cruise line that makes it impossible for passengers to drink anything that isn't served by one of their employees is making a decision that could end up costing them much more than the revenue they lose from those who do.

To begin with, my husband and I were told that the wine would be delivered to our cabin on Friday (the day of embarkation). Note: we have never had a problem prior to this when we brought wine onboard a ship. We repeated that information three times to the bartender taking our wine. We were then told once we boarded the ship we would not get the wine until we disembarked. It took my talking to the Guest Relations Manager, the Loyalty Crew Member, and the Maitre'D to get our wine to our table on Friday night. In the second place, we did not try to sneak the wine on. If I wanted to sneak the wine onto the ship I would have put it in my checked baggage. We were told that this was a new policy within the last few weeks, not months. We were on the Island Princess six weeks ago and walked on the ship with a case of wine, a case of water and checked a case of soda. The only thing not to make it to the cabin was the checked case of soda. We were very surprised by this new policy since we did the New Year's eve cruise on the Monarch and carried on wine and champagne with no problem. The problem I'm having with the whole wine issue is that right on there daily chatter it states..."if you bring your own wine with you to the dining room there will be a $12.00 corkage plus gratuity." We paid the corkage and we knew we would be charged corkage before we even brought the wine onboard..we've paid it before and it has never been a problem. I wasn't trying to sneak anything onboard and if you really look at what I wrote it was two bottles of wine for 2 people for three days..that's about a glass of wine per person/per day. If the cruise line is so concerned about people drinking too much then why don't they cut people off when they are very obviously drunk but buying the drinks onboard!!! Could it be the money they are making???

Completely new member here.

FWIW, I talked to RCCL on the phone today, June 9, 2006 and was first told that we were allowed to bring 2 bottles per person if the wine was something they did not offer on the ship.

However, the lady on the phone went to confirm that w/ her superiors and came back saying that policy was no longer in effect.

Their current policy is that passengers may not carry on any alcohol, of any type, for any reason.

How much enforcement there is seems to be up in the air ffrom what I've read here on the forum, but "officially" it looks like they've indeed gotten more strict.

I will be calling on Monday. I will ask what the current policy is and if it is you can not bring wine on board. I will ask to see the current wine list which is a little better than the "gift" wine list (the gift list just won't cut it for 11 nights). If there are no fine wines at normal prices, I will have to cancel my transatlantic cruise.

I don't think I can pay for a vacation to experience a worse dining experience than I have at home.

More on Monday!

happy cruzer:

A more extensive wine list than the "gift wine" list is on the RCCL website, it's just difficult to find.

Drill down from the "Find a Cruise" button at the top to "Activities"; then select "Dining", then "Chops Grille".

At the bottom under "Costs" there is both a Domestic Wine List and European Wine List as pdf files.

I'm assuming this is much closer to (if not exactly) the full ships wine list; unfortunately there are no prices, but there's no reason to assume anything other than the 4-5X retail markup I see on everything else.

We are on the Jewel Oct 31, and I can tell you the whole lot is going in checked luggage. I will gladly sign a release of liability ot RCL. Unlike some of the recently deranged/mental case passengers who have chosen to jump, fall, or whatever, my husband and I are mature adults who drink responsibly . I will gladly sign a waiver when it comes to alcohol.

They used to allow you to carry on wine, and would then deliver it to your room or dining room for a corkage fee, but even when they did allow this it was very begrudgingly. I had wine delivered to my cabin (and recieved a snide comment from the bartender who delivered it), and finally got my wine on the third night of the cruise in the dining room, but could never get a second glass served to me during dinner (they did not leave my wine at the table).

They no longer allow you to bring any liquor on board.

Moral of the story...if you want to be sure that you have your wine or liquor, you must pack it in your checked luggage. Or, expect hassles.

Yep, I found the two wine lists. Since I am on transatlantic, I wonder which one I will get. I think I will still call on Monday to talk to a cust service person to see how much additional info I can get. Maybe a priced wine list from a dining room. Anyone have a copy of one? I know people have copies of the menus, do any of those show the wine of the day and the price? So far in the wine packages, I see a couple of white wines I would enjoy but not red so I need to look at the regular list for those.

I guess if we do decide to put a bottle or two in our checked luggage that will be drunk in the room on the days we use room service instead of the dining room since it doesn't seem that they will have a corkage fee?? Why would they if you can't bring wine on board? Too confusing!

I'd like to see a priced wine list too. A complete package list would be great also. I've seen 2 lists of the packages, & one included a dessert wine. The other didn't. Naturally, I can't find the one that included the dessert wines again. :rolleyes: We're used to carrying on as much as we want on Celebrity, & just paying a corkage fee. If this isn't possible on RCCL, we'd like to have a better idea of what is available. I have printed the 2 lists on the RCCL site.

No corkage fee on wine you pack in your checked luggage, they won't even know about it, just don't forget your cork screw! Just ice it down in your room. Ask one of the bartenders for a bucket of beers bucket with ice in it, and then hand your room steward a 10.00 and ask him to keep fresh ice in it daily.

You will find that the wines available are low quality, except for the price. A bottle of say Woodridge Chardonnay for about 4 x's what you will pay for it retail. That's about as good as it gets.

We're just off Radiance today and did bring two bottles of wine in our checked luggage... We had them wrapped in bubble wrap and in our checked luggage simply as a matter of convenience.

We brought one bottle in the dining room one evening and our Asst Waiter put it on ice and served it to us. He was very nice about it and did not charge us a corkage fee. We've often brought wine on with us and have always been prepared to pay the fee, but have never been charged. :)

No corkage fee on wine you pack in your checked luggage, they won't even know about it, just don't forget your cork screw! Just ice it down in your room. Ask one of the bartenders for a bucket of beers bucket with ice in it, and then hand your room steward a 10.00 and ask him to keep fresh ice in it daily.

You will find that the wines available are low quality, except for the price. A bottle of say Woodridge Chardonnay for about 4 x's what you will pay for it retail. That's about as good as it gets.

I bring wine in my checked bag, I hand it to the head waiter with my table # sometime during the day or I bring it to dinner.

Since I drink red, I do not need ice but really do not understand the comment about buying a bucket of beer to chill your wine??? Ask for ice and tip the guy that brings it.

Not all the wines are of low quality, there are several really nice bottles (like the Jordan Cab) but I am not paying 100 bucks for it. I bring fine wines and then happily pay the corkage. Woodbridge is available for a ludicrous markup (4.00 a bottle in the stores here) and their house wine, Le Terre (swil) , is ridiculously overpriced, as are all of RCI's wines.

Here's the email reply I got when I asked this question to RCCL.

we do not allow guests to bring their own beverages onboard. This includes: liquor, wine, beer, soda, or self produced products (example: home made wines).

An exception to the rule is:

For guests who have a unique request for wine (only), and is not listed in the wine list below, Royal Caribbean will allow a maximum of two bottles of wine.

A corkage fee of $12.00 per bottle will be charged.

We do not allow more than two bottles.

We do not provide authorization or documentation.

Wine List:

Blush Wines

Item# 1266

White Zinfandel, Woodbridge, Robert Mondavi

$24.95 USD

Item# 1267

White Zinfandel, Beringer

$28.95 USD

Item# 1416

White Zinfandel / Chardonnay, PVS, Beringer

$29.95 USD

Champagnes & Sparkling Wines

Item# 1200

Mumm's Cordon Rouge, Brut

$60.95 USD

Item# 1201

Champagne Moet & Chandon

$70.95 USD

Item# 1215

Asti Spumante, Martini & Rossi, Piedmont

$27.95 USD

Item# 1216

Korbel Brut, California, USA

$30.95 USD

Item# 1218

Domain Chandon,Brut,California

$44.95 USD

Item# 1431

Argyle, Brut, Willamette Valley, Oregon, NV

$33.95 USD

Red Wines

Item# 1320

Pinot Noir, Beringer Founders' Estate

$39.95 USD

Item# 1330

Merlot, La Terre

$21.95 USD

Item# 1343

Cabernet Sauvignon, La Terre, California, USA

$21.95 USD

Item# 1344

Cabernet Sauvignon, Stone Cellar by Beringer, California, USA

$28.95 USD

Item# 1346

Cabernet Sauvignon, Beringer, Founders' Estate

$39.95 USD

Item# 1367

Torres Gran Coronas Cabernet

$50.95 USD

Item# 1370

Merlot, Vina Tarapacá, Maipo Valley, Chile

$28.95 USD

Item# 1380

Beaujolais Villages, Georges Duboeuf

$27.95 USD

Item# 1385

Côtes du Rhône, Belleruche, M. Chapoutier

$33.95 USD

Item# 1386

Shiraz, Rosemount, South Eastern Australia

$36.95 USD

Item# 1390

Crianza, La Mancha, Condesa de Leganza, Spain

$29.95 USD

Item# 1391

Rioja, Faustino VII, Rioja, Spain

$38.95 USD

Item# 1392

Valpolicella, Botter, Verona, Italy

$24.95 USD

Item# 1393

Chianti Classico Riserva, Castello di Gabbiano

$40.95 USD

Item# 1401

Moscato Bianco, La Famiglia di Robert Mondavi

$29.95 USD

Item# 1409

Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserva, Caliterra

$33.95 USD

Item# 1410

Cabernet Sauvignon, Woodbridge Twin Oaks

$25.95 USD

Item# 1411

Sangiovese, Danzante, Mondavi Frescobaldi

$24.95 USD

Item# 1412

Merlot, Robert Mondavi Private Selection

$33.95 USD

Item# 1413

Merlot, Sebastiani

$26.95 USD

Item# 1415

Merlot, Wolf Blass, Blue Label

$36.95 USD

Item# 1426

Tempranillo, Fortius, Navarra, Spain

$30.95 USD

Item# 1427

Shiraz, Footprint, Western Cape, South Africa

$24.95 USD

Item# 1428

Shiraz, Kirralaa Bushvine, Australia

$39.95 USD

Item# 1429

Malbec, Navarro Correas, Coleccion Privada

$25.95 USD

Item# 1430

Pinotage, Fort Simon, Stellenbosch

$36.95 USD

Item# 1432

Zinfandel, Buehler Estate

$34.95 USD

Item# 1433

Zinfandel, Cline

$28.95 USD

Item# 1434

Baron Herzog (Kosher)

$34.95 USD

White Wines

Item# 1128

Fumé Blanc, Robert Mondavi Winery

$39.95 USD

Item# 1226

Sauvignon Blanc,Kenwood Sonoma

$32.00 USD

Item# 1235

La Terre, Chardonnay

$21.95 USD

Item# 1238

Chardonnay, Stone Cellars by Beringer

$28.95 USD

Item# 1255

Johannisberg Riesling, Chateau St Michelle

$28.95 USD

Item# 1281

Chardonnay, Hardys, Nottage Hill

$29.95 USD

Item# 1282

Chardonnay, Torres, Gran Vina Sol, Penedes

$30.95 USD

Item# 1283

Semillon / Chardonnay, Lindemans, Bin 77

$33.95 USD

Item# 1285

Chardonnay, Penfold's Koonunga Hill

$39.95 USD

Item# 1287

Pouille Fuisse, Bouchard

$46.95 USD

Item# 1295

Sauvignon Blanc, Caliterra, Valle Central, Chile

$27.95 USD

Item# 1299

Sauvignon Blanc, Geyser Peak

$30.95 USD

Item# 1305

Riesling Spätlese, L Kreusch, Piesporter Michelsberg

$24.95 USD

Item# 1306

Blanco, Marques de Caceres, Rioja

$25.95 USD

Item# 1307

Soave Classico, Botter, Verona, Italy

$23.95 USD

Item# 1308

Pinot Grigio, Danzante, Venezie, Veneto, Italy

$34.95 USD

Item# 1311

Vouvray, Remy Pannier, Loire, France

$30.95 USD

Item# 1347

Chardonnay,Kendall-Jackson Vr

$43.95 USD

Item# 1417

Mâcon-Villages, Bouchard Père & Fils

$28.95 USD

Item# 1418

Sauvignon Blanc, Kenwood, Sonoma

$33.95 USD

Item# 1419

Sauvignon Blanc, Fairview, South Africa

$28.95 USD

Item# 1420

Sauvignon Blanc, Brancott, Marlborough

$32.95 USD

Item# 1421

Chardonnay, Footprint, Western Cape

$22.95 USD

Item# 1422

Organic Chardonnay, Badger Mountain

$29.95 USD

Item# 1423

Chardonnay, Sebastiani, Sonoma

$26.95 USD

Item# 1424

Chardonnay, Woodbridge Twin Oaks

$25.95 USD

Item# 1425

Fumé Blanc, Ferrari-Carano, Sonoma

$38.95 USD

Item# 1435

Baron Herzon (Kosher)

$34.95 USD

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Maria Perez

Customer Service Representative

Completely new member here.

FWIW, I talked to RCCL on the phone today, June 9, 2006 and was first told that we were allowed to bring 2 bottles per person if the wine was something they did not offer on the ship.

However, the lady on the phone went to confirm that w/ her superiors and came back saying that policy was no longer in effect.

Their current policy is that passengers may not carry on any alcohol, of any type, for any reason.

How much enforcement there is seems to be up in the air ffrom what I've read here on the forum, but "officially" it looks like they've indeed gotten more strict.

Notice that the phone conversation that sparked some of my concern happened on June 9. That's why I say this topic is so confusing. The official policy seems to keep changing and the ship's enforcement's policies vary. But I would think that if RCI does really stick to the policy quoted on the phone on June 9 there will be no more corkage fee in the dining room that's why I stated I would drink "smuggled" wine in my cabin.

Hopefully, we may all someday no longer be confused by the policies.

Thanks.

It has been my experience with Celebrity customer service, which is also RCI customer service, that calling or emailing to ask questions is a waste of time. You will get 10 different answers from 10 different people. The most accurate info. will come for those who have recently sailed. Hopefully, enough people will report back on their experience to give us a feel of how each ship is handling the situation.

My husband and I just got off the Monarch of the Seas after a three day cruise. We have (in recent times) carried, in our carry-on luggage, a few bottles of wine. For our short weekend cruise we packed one white and one red for the 2 of us for 3 days. Much to our surprise, the 2 bottles were confiscated before we got on board. We were given the choice of either having the wine brought to our room that day or to the dining room that night. We chose to the room so we could start chilling the wine. Unfortunately, the bartender who took the two bottles from us misinformed us and as we were told later we would get our wine back on Sunday before we disembarked. We eventually did get our wine in the dining room but it took quite awhile, and my having go up the chain of command. So I'm just letting everyone know that there is a zero tolerance for any liquor, beer, or wine that is carried on to any RCCL ship. So if you were planning on bringing any onboard pack it in your checked baggage and don't pack the wine or whatever else you want to drink in your carryon bags.
We always bring wine in or carryon and sometimes in our checked luggage most recently JOS transatlantic never had a problem. Lorelle

Has anyone been successful in getting a box of wine on board? Not to be sneered at - you can get some very good wine in boxes over here in England! And I think easier to pack a box than bottles that may break.

That is exactly what we are going to do!

Has anyone been successful in getting a box of wine on board? Not to be sneered at - you can get some very good wine in boxes over here in England! And I think easier to pack a box than bottles that may break.

We traveled with a group and I took a box of wine. Lasted forever.

We are on Explorer July 9. As part of a "come one" to book thru them icruise is giving us a bottke a wine each night in our cabin. Does that mean we need to pay a corkage fee of $12 per night for that??? Are we allowed to open it ourselves in our room?? AND do I need to call RCI about this or hopefully does someone here have an answer.. PLEASE,,,:eek:

Archived