Do you dress for Lobster?

livsea2

I learned my lesson, had to glug benadryl liquid while calling 911. Never have been without an epi-pen since. Purse, briefcase, desk, can't keep one in the car because it gets too hot in Texas, or I would keep one there, too.

The only reason we dress for the one formal night is for the lobsters. My husband is in a suit and tie every day for work and we go to black tie affairs throughout the year for work related events and non-profit fundraisers so we both prefer not dressing up on formal nights and usually only attend the one with the lobsters. Boy, the one thing I miss about having moved here from NY are the cold water lobsters, the ones down here are just not the same!

I like formal night--it's very easy on the ship--your clothes are already there--don't have to figure out what to wear--very simple--the problem is--NO MORE PICTURES:)

It's certainly not the lobster--eat it sometimes not others

When we fix lobster at home--it's always casual clothes

Nancy:)

No, we don't dress for the lobster, we dress because it's part of the cruise package. For a week (or whatever the length of the cruise) we are escaping to another world, where one "dresses for dinner." We don't have daily maid service at home, nor are we greeted by a wait staff that makes us feel so special, nor do we have the activities that one enjoys on a cruise, nor do we have the opportunity to partake of so many rich and varied experiences nor visit exotic places. No, most of the year we work for a living, and attend to mundane and at times tiresome tasks.

A cruise is a time to escape all of that, if only for a few days, and in this somewhat magical place we escape to, we don formal attaire for a couple of special evenings. The fact that we eat lobster only adds to the experience, but it is not the basis of our actions.

I know in my heart that I am not, nor will I ever be, James Bond. Nor will I ever be a royal. But for a few days, I can be treated like a royal, and I enjoy that short lived fantasy. (Shaken, not stirred if you please.)

:cool:

LOL! Let me guess, you accidentally gave yourself a shot of adrenaline while biking? Did you go super-fast, like a cartoon? (Just joking...:p )

Oh Tina, the image of someone going super fast like a cartoon has given me the giggles! Although I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time. :o When I worked at a summer camp, one week I had 4 kids with Epi-pens out of a group of 24 kids. And I won't even tell you how many of them were on some form of Ritalin.

Anyway, back on topic...the food on the menu doesn't factor into our decision to go to the dining room on formal night. We go to the dining room if we feel like having a sit-down meal, so if we feel like having a sit-down meal on what happens to be formal night, we dress up. If not, then we don't.

Oh Tina, the image of someone going super fast like a cartoon has given me the giggles! Although I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time. :o When I worked at a summer camp, one week I had 4 kids with Epi-pens out of a group of 24 kids. And I won't even tell you how many of them were on some form of Ritalin.

Anyway, back on topic...the food on the menu doesn't factor into our decision to go to the dining room on formal night. We go to the dining room if we feel like having a sit-down meal, so if we feel like having a sit-down meal on what happens to be formal night, we dress up. If not, then we don't.

Haven't heard back from Nancy, maybe I hurt her feelings....nah, she's pretty tough.:) Another funny visual I'm getting is a lobster in a tux, facing me in a long gown, every time I see "Do you dress for lobster" in the thread list. Also a ship's "birth" with stirrups and a daddy ship with a camcorder filming the mommy ship while she's screaming "get out of my sight, you moron!"

OK, back to your regularly scheduled lobster thread.

If Princess offered a casual dining room with the same menu as the regular dining rooms, we would never bring the formal clothes. However, whatever the dining room guidlines for dress are, we comply. I guess my answer is yes, we do dress for lobster, filet mignon and whatever else is being served. :)

I agree 100%!

Also a ship's "birth" with stirrups and a daddy ship with a camcorder filming the mommy ship while she's screaming "get out of my sight, you moron!"

That would be Funship Freddy and Funship Freda as the parents. Whoops wrong cruise line.

No' date=' we don't dress for the lobster, we dress because it's part of the cruise package. For a week (or whatever the length of the cruise) we are escaping to another world, where one "dresses for dinner." We don't have daily maid service at home, nor are we greeted by a wait staff that makes us feel so special, nor do we have the activities that one enjoys on a cruise, nor do we have the opportunity to partake of so many rich and varied experiences nor visit exotic places. No, most of the year we work for a living, and attend to mundane and at times tiresome tasks.

A cruise is a time to escape all of that, if only for a few days, and in this somewhat magical place we escape to, we don formal attaire for a couple of special evenings. The fact that we eat lobster only adds to the experience, but it is not the basis of our actions. :cool:[/quote']

Couldn't have said it better myself. I think you hit it on the button and have echoed the sentiments of a lot of us who enjoy cruising.

I am wondering how many people dress for formal night because that is the night they serve the best food. Be it lobster, beef wellington, Filet mignon, pick your favorite. I for one would skip formal night if they served lobster in the buffet restauarant.

I really don't want this to be a formal dress debate there are enough of them already. Please just answer the question, is the only reason you dress for formal night is because of the menu? For me the answer is YES!

I hear this argument over and over-I am not sure about Princess-but some of the lines-you can still order these things room service. Personally I feel all the lines should do this and enforce the dresscode because I am one of those guys that like dressing up.

I went on one 3 day cruise on Carnival Miracle when she was brand new and our formal night was the 2nd night-that night we were also in port-we had a table close to us of a family who came in dirty casual clothing but worse they were sweathy and smelly. I think they had gotten back late from an excursion-like a day at the beach or possibly deep sea fishing-and came "as is" because they did not want to miss the lobster. That was discusting.

I did not mind the guy in his tropicial shirt and shorts at the table next to us-he was CLEAN-but I did mind this discusting family-and believe me-you would not have wanted to sit next to them in the lido restarant either-I would have been ashamed to go in Mac Donalds in their condition!

or any other meal that I can think of....I'm not one of those that goes on a cruise to escape and pretend I'm in a different world or on another planet, I go to relax and enjoy, and dressing up isn't that for me. Having said that...my DW has another opinion so I do dress up if she decides that's how it's going to be. Normally we split the difference - we get dressed up for one formal night, and do the buffet or room service the other. Our last cruise (Grand in Feb) the lobster on formal night didn't convince me (this was our casual "formal" night) - but the opportunity to enjoy the evening with a group of new friends who were dressing up was extremely convincing. I bit the bullet, put on the %$%$ tie, and had a great time. The lobster was great as well :-)

It is so nice to hear a DH say that he enjoys making his wife happy. You don't hear that very often. I for one have a DH that has always looked over the landing from the top of the stairs and said....."Honey, what am I wearing tonight".:D

Archived