Little gasps of joy!

waterbug1

I remember getting on a bus in Connecticut four days after 9-11. We were scheduled to sail on the Horizon to Bermuda from NYC. My husband and I were seated in the front seat. As we were going thru New York and seeing and smelling the smoke from the World Trade Center, I looked toward the back of the bus and realized that people were on their knees in the aisle and praying. Then when we were in Cooper's in Bermuda, a saleslady asked us if were were Americans. When we said "yes" she said she was sorry for what happened to our country and we cried. It was the saddest cruise I've ever been on. Only 500+ people made it onto the ship and morale was very low.

June '04 - first Formal Night of a 14 day Mediterranean crusie - DH and I were seated on the aft Lido Deck having dinner (our luggage didn't get to the ship when we did) with another couple in the same predicament. While having a wonderful dinner, we were treated to a display of dolphins frolicking in the wake of the ship. They followed us for a good hour, then finally disappeared. Later that night we experienced a spectacular lightning storm while enjoying a cocktail in the Crow's Nest.

Thanks for starting this thread - it's nice to find out what makes up other people's fond memories of cruising.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Our little gasps of joy... sorry but I need to give you a bit of history so you can understand. My father and stepmother went on their first cruise together (alaska/princess) unfortunately during 9-11. My dad fell in love with Alaska. However he had two massive strokes the following year leaving him amongst other things the inability to speak. In september 2003 my parents went again to Alaska (rccl), I luckily got to go of course as a caregiver, but it was my first cruise, and real trip. We had stopped at Ketchikan (before his strokes he wanted to move there) While pushing my dad in his wheelchair over the bridge, dad saw the salmon swimming underneath us. A local was fishing on the bridge. My dad "gasped" as he watched the man fish. Another time for my dad was when we were in Denali National park driving back to Anchorage. My stepmom was driving, I was looking at the scenery in the backseat, and my dad was looking around. All of a sudden he "gasped", and starting saying "No,No" It took us about 10 minutes to figure out that he had seen an animal, what type of animal, only his mind knows. We never figured it out. Anything that gets him to talk is amazing! I have two moments where I gasped. The first, we were Juneau. I took the tram up to Mt. Roberts and was trailing behind a tour group, kinda listening in and kinda moving on my own. All of a sudden across the gulley was a brown bear. Just moseing his way on the trail that we soon would be on. He/She looked over at us, and thought we were food or toys or something, because the next we knew it started running down the hill towards us. My other is when we were in Denali and we went to "The Husky Homestead" owner is Jeff King 4 time Iditarod champion including 2006!!!! One of his dogs had just had puppies about 9 weeks before. Mr. King allowed only a select few people hold one of the puppies. I still keep the picture of my father in his wheelchair wearing Jeff King's Iditarod Race Jacket and holding a husky puppy next to my bed!!! This Saturday we will again be going and an Alaskan cruise. This time it will be myself, my dad, my stepmom, and my 5 yr old nephew. I know there will be tons of "little gasps of joy!" escaping from our lips. As soon as we're back I will write and tell you all what they were. That is if we survive the helicopter ride over 4 glaciers! lol

This is a great thread - very much needed!!

For me, there's lots of moments that stand out as wonderful:

-Seeing a blue iceberg last year on the NCL Sun in Alaska

-Watching the whales chase the Oosterdam near Cabo San Lucas

-Standing on the forward observation decks of the NCL Wind as we went under the Lions Gate Bridge in Vancouver.

-Bobbing around the Agean Sea just off of Santorini, Greece on the World Renaissance in 30-foot seas.

...and those are just a few! Every time I step aboard a cruise ship is a wonderful experience in it's own right. The little things I look forward to: having the ocean rock me to sleep; feeling the gentle hum of the engines; and sipping a martini and watching the ocean go by :)

This thread is too good not to "bump" to the top of the list again.

Here's one more of my joys:

Standing in crystal clear water at Half Moon Cay and watching Angel fish swim in schools around my feet.

346%3A5%3B27%3A%7Ffp344%3Evq%3D3233%3E637%3E48%3B%3E232463757%3C598wp1lsi

I have to agree with a couple of posters here..I have sailed out of NYC harbor pre and post 9-11 and it is both a great sight and a sad one..I will get to do it again next summer (2007) as I sail on the NCL Crown for it's last voyages to Bermuda and it's last voyages for NCL..It looks like the small ships going to Bermuda are comming to an end, and that will be a great loss..Not the ships but loosing those great ports St. George going through the "Cut" and Hamilton:confused:

I'm rambling and I have to stop I sry for hijacking the thread:o

One of many: standing in the bow going through the Panama Canal on my husband's birthday. We stood there for 3 hours straight and took it all in, it was well worth getting up real early to get to the bow, they only open it on some cruises and we were lucky enough to get it.

Another time standing from our balcony looking out over Venice last year, our first trip to Europe and our adventure had just begun and the memories were being filled in daily.:rolleyes: Awe I can hardly wait 16 more days to make more memories.

Kathy

With many cruises to think back on, I'll just mention a few memorable moments. Our first Med cruise on Rotterdam, we sailed into Venice on a Sunday morning as all the church bells were ringing. Sailing again, on Rotterdam, 9/11/2002, one day away from NYC and the CD and crew put on a moving memorial service, that morning. Sailing away from Rotterdam on the ms Rotterdam as the whole city seemed to be there to wave and see us on our way. Observing the beauty of Antarctica from the bow of the Amsterdam on three "picture perfect" days. Our recent sail-away from Fremantle, Australia, evidently a port that doesn't get too many cruise ships, we enjoyed a wonderful concert, and many people were there to wave and throw streamers, just like in the "old days." :)

It was early in the AM and the Rotterdam V was just entering the Port of Muskat (1995 world cruise)....Stephen Card and I were out on the Lido/Pool Deck sipping coffee and admiring the early day calmness....all of a sudden, the crew used a cannon to "shoot" the landing/docking line to the pier. Seemed like a million birds immediately flew into the sky.....wow!!!, what a sight.:)

Passing our lifesaver candy to Children in DR last Christmas and the joy on their faces.

the look on my beautiful daughters face last Christmas as we are wrapped in our terry robes awaiting massages while entering the beautiful waters of St. Croix

the wonderfully relaxing time in the thermal suite by myself

and now the anticipation of planning and enjoying each moment before our next trip!

Linda

and my each day fix of CC to see and talk with each of you wonderfully knowledgable cruising friends.

The incredible beauty of Alaska -- calving glaciers, Misty Fjord with the complete silence except for the waterfalls which seemed to fall from the sky, the Aurora Borealis and the peace that comes with it all.

The engineering marvel of the Panama Canal.

9/11/2004 sailing by the site of the World Trade Center on the 3rd anniversary of the attack -- the complete silence at that moment and then sailing by the Statue of Liberty and knowing that we would prevail.

The beauty of the sea.

Thinking back on our first cruise in the fall of 2001 on the Grand Princess. The enormity of the vessel was so impressive. The staff took to my 3-year old. She was a little celebrity on this ship...she loved the cherries, and the bartenders and waiters packed that kid with marachino cherries all week. Terribly unhealthy I'm sure, but man...she was in heaven. She'll be well preserved.

Watching our 2 girls swim in the evening when no one else was in the pool. So peaceful was the ship during the evenings that it was easy to imagine we were pretty close to heaven. Loving the colors of the ocean as we sailed through the caribbean. That "sea foam green" was unreal. Never saw that true color before until our first cruise.

Walking the promenade deck for the first time, and observing how rich the wood looked.

Experiencing such nice people working on these ships. Being treated as if you were the only one that mattered on the ship.

On the Zuiderdam, being in absolute heaven when we checked out our aft corner cabin, and knowing that we had the best piece of real estate on this ship....and the BREAD PUDDING....OMG...to die for.

Not having to cook meals all week, and knowing that we would be well taken care of.

Laughing when my husband would tell us there were flying fish in the water, and everytime we looked out, we didn't see them. We thought he made it up. He saw them a lot, we never saw them. I finally saw flying fish on our last cruise to Bermuda. I laughed so hard, because honestly, I had never believed that there were actually flying fish. Surprise.

Also loving when my 3 year old tried to walk on her own toward the front of the ship, and the wind was so strong on the Promenade deck that she looked as if she was "half in the bag".

Could I go on and on......? YUP. But I won't, because I too am living vicariously through all of your fun experiences.

Oh, one more thing...when my husband won the "final" bingo...$2400 worth....but did have to split it with 3 other people. Still, pretty awesome.

My favorite moment (and DH also) was last summer aboard the Diamond Princess. We were sitting all bundled up on our balcony, door open with the magical voice of Michael (a naturalist) in the background describing all of the sights of Tracy Arm. Every word he spoke was like poetry and we both fell in love with Alaska. Can't wait until our next Alaskan cruise. Another favorite time was in 1985 (first cruise) and seeing the beautiful water of St. Thomas and being totally amazed by the color. Mary;)

Feeling the velvet Caribbean air for the first time while watching a lightning storm chase across the sky from our balcony on the Maasdam.

Seeing hundreds of kites flying over El Moro fortress in San Juan. While a speed boat chases the Noordam its occupants honking and waving to us as we sail away.

Best of all times has to be the private dinner that I arranged in our two bedroom suite on the NCL Dawn (inaugural year) as a surprise for my DH on our anniversary. Our best friends were also on this sailing and the four of us were treated to a never-to-be forgotten experience. James Deering was the HM during our cruise and with his help and the wonderful F&B Mgr and Asst Mgr the menu was built around all my DH's favorite foods (lobster tails, prime rib, etc). Imagine my surprise when a large rolling cart showed up at our stateroom (pushed by the F&B Mgr) who personally carved an entire standing prime rib roast for just the 4 of us! Dessert was a "chef's surprise" and it turned out to be the largest strawberry shortcake that I had ever seen - way too large for the 4 of us. After each of us had a slice, we sent the rest down to the crew. Our butler had arranged for 2 servers for the entire meal as well as personalized souvenir menus for the evening.

I will never, ever forget that night - unbelievable food, unbelievable service and best of all, the look on my DH's face!:p

For me the most enjoyable part of a cruise is getting up early, heading up to the buffet for a cup of coffee and walking around a nearly deserted ship since most guests are still asleep. It's so peaceful and tranquil everywhere you go.

The first time I stepped aboard a cruise ship (Celebrity Century). You just can't match that feeling of having a dream come true.

Waffles by the on the deck on Celebrity. (Best waffles ever!)

BBC's in the Piano bar on the Westerdam with 4 of our dearest long time friends.

Best of all, discovering HAL!!!!

My sincere thanks to all of you who have responded to this thread. I was amazed by all of the beautiful memories that you chose to share. Some brought tears to my eyes and all brought smiles. People like you are a big part of the reason I love cruising. Thank you. Thank you. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I live vicariously through family members that are cruising also. It is a rule that when we all board the ship, we must call the other to let us know that it's all good.

We can all just tell by the tone of their voice, that they are not in Kansas (no offense to those that live in Kansas) anymore. Gosh, what a feeling.

My sister is setting sail tonight to Bermuda, and I couldn't wait for the call. She was one of the first 50 people on the ship today.

Anchors AWAY!

There are always wonderful little (and big) memory moments on every cruise. Three stand out for me above all the rest.

1- Traveling, at age 20, on the Cunard Sylvania in 1960 with 11 college friends from Montreal, Canada to Grennock, Scotland as we started a summer-long trip in Europe. We were crammed 4 to a cabin in bunks in sub-tourist class , but we had a fantastic and wonderful crossing with so many memories that are still vivid 45 years later.

2- Getting up at dawn to watch as we passed through the archipelago approaching Stockholm on the Celebrity Constellation in 2002. I thought of my grandmother probably passing through this same waterway in the other direction when she was 13 and sent to the USA to live with relatives. It was very beautiful and a very moving and memorable experience for me.

3- The passage from Geiranger, Norway, June 2004 on the Rotterdam VI, through the magnificantly awesome fjords as we wound our way back out to sea.We sat in the very windy cold on the verandah wrapped in blankets for much of the night. We had been delayed hours in leaving port due to a tender that couldn't be raised. So it meant that we passed through the deep gorges and by the blowing misty waterfalls starting about midnight with the twilight (land of the midnight sun) providing an almost mystical atmosphere. I had never imagined that the fjords could be so high and narrow. I will never forget them. They were breathtaking.

Thank you for encouraging us to "remember" these extra-special memories!

Not a heck of a lot to report unfortunately as I've only been on two cruises so far.

However, I particularly loved our flight to Vancouver where we flew over downtown and circled over the water to land at the airport. Over downtown, my partner looked out the window and said, "Isn't that our ship down there?". Yes, we were flying over Canada Place and there it was - the Oosterdam docked there. It was our first view of OUR ship. The ship that eventually gave me my first real bad case of post-cruise depression.

Also, loved pulling away from Canada Place and passing under the Lion's Gate Bridge as we left the inlet and out into open sea.

Perhaps, most oddly, I loved the two days out at open sea - despite the fog and inability to see much beyond the ship. It should have scared the heck out of me but it was a very calm sea and I was just totally relaxed looking at the water as I took my walks around the Promenade Deck. Wouldn't trade those two days for anything.

Looking forward to many more good memories. Have two cruises booked now. One in December 2006 and another in August 2007. They can only get better!

Strolling hand in hand with my DH on the Lower Prom in the mornings and again in the evenings. Dancing every evening in the Ocean Bar on the newer ships or in the Piet Hein Lounge on the old Noordam.

Not knowing about the fireworks display when leaving Curacao until they began to light the sky above us as we sailed out of the harbor. What an amazing sight!

Celebrating our 10th and 15th anniversaries on the old Noordam. Praying as we sailed out of St. Thomas that we'd be lucky enough to celebrate our 20th on the new Noordam and being moved to tears as a rainbow appeared above the mountains. DH died just short of our 19th anniversary, but I have precious memories of wonderful cruises together.

Archived