Balcony or Minisuite?

We are thinking about booking a cruise on the Crown Princess, which I understand is a sister ship to Coral Princess. We have never sailed on Princess and wonder how their minisuites compare to regular balcony cabins. We would prefer the bathroom with a tub, but is there more space in the actual room itself? Any information would be appreciated.

We are thinking about booking a cruise on the Crown Princess, which I understand is a sister ship to Coral Princess. We have never sailed on Princess and wonder how their minisuites compare to regular balcony cabins. We would prefer the bathroom with a tub, but is there more space in the actual room itself? Any information would be appreciated.

If you want a small tub and some extra space, including a small sofa and 2 tv's go with the mini-suite for roughly a couple hundred more (give or take) OR - If you don't mind a small shower and no sofa and one tv, go with an aft or Caribe balcony cabin. Just my opinion. We have never booked the Mini-suite, but our friends always do and I might be sold on it for our next cruise!

I think the Crown is actually the sister to the Caribbean Princess. In any event, the mini suite will be a larger room than a balcony cabin and have a larger balcony. It will have a "sitting" area with a couch and coffee table. If it is just 2 people cruising, I would get the balcony cabin. But if you are traveling with other people and need the couch for seating and visiting, then I would book the mini suite. Of course if the bathtub is important, than the mini suite is the way to go! :eek:

I think the Crown is actually the sister to the Caribbean Princess. In any event, the mini suite will be a larger room than a balcony cabin and have a larger balcony.

The balcony cabins on Caribe deck have a larger balcony than the mini suites.

The Caribbean Princess and Crown Princess are sisters but not twins. They redesigned some of the interior areas and put some new features into the Crown Princess.

The Caribe balcony cabins do have larger balconies compared to "most" of the minisuites.

I would decide if you want a larger balcony (Caribe balcony cabin) or a larger cabin with a sofa area and a bath tub in the bathroom.

I realize now it is sister to Caribbean, not Coral, thanks. It sounds like the minisuite cabin does have more space which is good. Cruznliz, we do have 4 people, two adults and two kids, so I really want more cabin space. We have cruised on Celebrity, RCCL, Cunard and Disney with a balcony room. We cruised Carnival with a Suite, it was tons bigger, twice the size. Then we went on NCL Jewel this spring, booked a minisuite, and while it was a nice ship, the minisuite was essentially a balcony suite with a tub in the bath. That was ok, just not what I was expecting. On the Crown are there decks with minisuites where people are not looking down on you?

Was on the Crown Saturday evening for a tour of the ship. Saw the suite on the Riviera Deck. Balcony was long - able to fit two lounge chairs, a small table and 2 high back chairs. All made of teak.

Room was not that spacious. It had a couch which I assume opens into a bed. Would be ok for 2 children to sleep.

Bathroom was great - big tub with water jets - a walk in shower and sink. In another adjoining room there was a larger sink and a toilet bowl. You were able to close a door between the two so they could both be used at the same time. This would be great for 4 people.

If the room gets too crowded, you can always go outside.

MV21~If you are on the Caribe deck, the balconies are larger, however, from the Baja deck above, they do look down onto the Caribe deck. Bummer, because they are so much bigger. We stayed on the Baja deck on the Caribbean Princess and looked down at what everybody was doing on the Caribe deck. Shame on us! ;-)

For the past 3 or 4 cruises, we took a mini and it was very comfortable (we travel with one child) but for our cruise in March we opted for the regular balcony cabin. It was not very comfortable for 3 people.

We just booked the Crown for august. I notice that the minis are twice as big as the balcony cabins. So, we booked one.

You will find having your kids sleep on the pull out sofa is much more comfortable than having them on the bunks that come out of the wall. Also, you will get a little privacy because they will have their own TV and be in a separate area in the cabin. I don't think there is a curtain or anything separating but it is built in a way that it feels like 2 rooms.

If you can afford it, go for the mini.

Susan

We're only two people and we booked a mini on the Crown. Just the fact there there's a sofa, two tvs (and now someone reported that there are flat screens) and a tub (for more shower space and the same someone reported that minis have jetted tubs), makes a huge difference vs. a standard balcony to me. We'll enjoy the added square footage.

We also have one of the two extended aft balconies on the Emerald Deck. ;)

I think the Crown is actually the sister to the Caribbean Princess. In any event, the mini suite will be a larger room than a balcony cabin and have a larger balcony. It will have a "sitting" area with a couch and coffee table. If it is just 2 people cruising, I would get the balcony cabin. But if you are traveling with other people and need the couch for seating and visiting, then I would book the mini suite. Of course if the bathtub is important, than the mini suite is the way to go! :eek:

Queenmum...Another posted said that there are flat screens and jetted tubs in the mini suites on the Crown. Are you able to verify this info?

Thanks! ;)

Was on the Crown Saturday evening for a tour of the ship. Saw the suite on the Riviera Deck. Balcony was long - able to fit two lounge chairs, a small table and 2 high back chairs. All made of teak.

Room was not that spacious. It had a couch which I assume opens into a bed. Would be ok for 2 children to sleep.

Bathroom was great - big tub with water jets - a walk in shower and sink. In another adjoining room there was a larger sink and a toilet bowl. You were able to close a door between the two so they could both be used at the same time. This would be great for 4 people.

If the room gets too crowded, you can always go outside.

For the past 3 or 4 cruises, we took a mini and it was very comfortable (we travel with one child) but for our cruise in March we opted for the regular balcony cabin. It was not very comfortable for 3 people.

We just booked the Crown for august. I notice that the minis are twice as big as the balcony cabins. So, we booked one.

You will find having your kids sleep on the pull out sofa is much more comfortable than having them on the bunks that come out of the wall. Also, you will get a little privacy because they will have their own TV and be in a separate area in the cabin. I don't think there is a curtain or anything separating but it is built in a way that it feels like 2 rooms.

If you can afford it, go for the mini.

Susan

Susan,

Where did you see the minis are twice as big? From what I was able to find out the minis are 324 sq ft with balcony. The balcony cabins that are not minis are 233 - 285 sq ft. My guess is the 233 sq ft are for the balconies that are not on the caribe deck and the 285 are the Caribe deck balconies and aft balconies.

Bill

I have sailed on the Grand, Golden and Caribbean - all similar ships to the Crown. On the Grand I took a regular balcony cabin with the extra large verandah. Friends of ours took a mini and we said then and there that we would always take a mini on this class of ship. So for the Golden and the Caribbean we had the mini's and loved them. (There are only two of us.) The extra space is wonderful as is having a place to sit in the cabin without having to be on the beds. On some port afternoons when we get back to the ship we will order room service for a quick sandwich and the sofa, chair and table are perfect for that. The bathtub in the bathroom is great. Not so much because either of us needs a tub but to fit it in the bathroom they had to make a bigger bathroom and we like the space - yes, the two of us can be in there at once.

We have a mini on the Crown so I really want to know if the jets in the tubs are in mini's on that ship - they aren't in any of the others and that would make a great bonus for us! Either way it sounds like you want your space so I say go for the mini!!

Thanks for all the information (By the way this is the old mathwiz007, I had the name changed because someone who loves math and James Bond is not truly reflective of me, who does the travel research):) . We have reserved a minisuite on the Emerald deck, hoping not to be able to be viewed from above. I am a little concerned though, because on the Princess website deckplan the cabin (E729) sure looks the same size as the oceanview cabins further down the corridor. The travel agent assures me it is a true minisuite, that Princess website for the Crown has not been updated. Does anyone have information on the minisuites on the Emerald deck?

We sailed the Caribbean Princess in 2006 in a mini suite and the Golden in 2006 in a regular balcony.

Overall they are both nice rooms and you get what you pay for in the way of space. Mini suites have no perks.

I would strongly consider where the room is on the ship.

Minisuites on the Dolphine Deck on the 2 ships we have sailed hang over the side of the ship and are open fully exposed to above. There is no privacy or shade.

Also in the evening, when the pool deck was being cleaned, the spray from them cleaning chairs and the deck would "invade" the balcony.

The extra space in the cabin of the mini suites is nice as is the tub....

We would personally either book a mini suite elsewhere on the ship or if they only had mini suites on Dolphine wewould choose a regular balcony.

Hope this hels a little, the Grand class are great ships so have fun no matter what room you book !!

We booked Crown Princess mini - E731:D (covered and elongated)

(be aware E730 on port side is over the bandstand of Club Fusion)

links that might help you (these are from Caribbean Princess, The Crown is laid out the same)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/290527980/1291057453015325211GUzZbH

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photogallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=34700

Susan,

Where did you see the minis are twice as big? From what I was able to find out the minis are 324 sq ft with balcony. The balcony cabins that are not minis are 233 - 285 sq ft. My guess is the 233 sq ft are for the balconies that are not on the caribe deck and the 285 are the Caribe deck balconies and aft balconies.

Bill

Hi all,

Just so you have a little more information to make a decision:

Crown Princess staterooms are as follows:

Mini-Suite: 255 SF plus the balcony (tub bath, sitting area with couch, etc.)

balcony sizes can vary depending on deck.

Balcony stateroom: 182 SF plus the balcony (NO sitting area) 2 chairs and a small table. Balcony size varies by deck.

Hope this helps someone make a decision!

Bon Voyage to all!

We sailed the Caribbean Princess in 2006 in a mini suite and the Golden in 2006 in a regular balcony.

Overall they are both nice rooms and you get what you pay for in the way of space. Mini suites have no perks.

I would strongly consider where the room is on the ship.

Minisuites on the Dolphine Deck on the 2 ships we have sailed hang over the side of the ship and are open fully exposed to above. There is no privacy or shade.

Also in the evening, when the pool deck was being cleaned, the spray from them cleaning chairs and the deck would "invade" the balcony.

The extra space in the cabin of the mini suites is nice as is the tub....

We would personally either book a mini suite elsewhere on the ship or if they only had mini suites on Dolphine wewould choose a regular balcony.

Hope this hels a little, the Grand class are great ships so have fun no matter what room you book !!

Actually as of last September the mini suites have the following perks:

Complimentary champagne at embarkation

top of the range "Beautyrest" mattresses

Luxury 100 Egyptian cotton, high thread count ivory satin striped bed linens

Fluffy European duvets

Pillow menu

Massage shower heads

Luxury towels

Bill

Archived