Books to read with a cruise theme?

gambler

I thought "What time is the Midnight Buffet?" was a fun little read, It won't last you through a whole cruise, but it is a fun read of someone's first cruise and how special it became. :)

There's a book called Darker than Amber -- a Travis McGee detective novel. Set on a cruise ship -- in the 60s. Author is John D McDonald. Also, a Janet Evanovich novel (set on a small sailboat) called Love Overboard. Enjoy!

If you liked Skinny Dip by Carl Hiasson, why not pick up some of his other books? Even though they don't take place on cruise ships they are written in the same funny and satiric tone, as he savages the creeps and low-lifes who live in Florida. They are all in print as inexpensive paperbacks and should be read in sequence to really enjoy them as certain characters keep popping up in them.

And in one of his early books, written in the late 80's, there is a funny 50 page sequence that does take place on a cruise ship of the period.

We bought all 9 of the books and take them on our various cruises; after 4 trips Dw has done 7 and I have done 5. Perfect pool deck reading.:)

Alaskan cruise is the setting for "Birds of Prey"

I noticed that on your post there was a clock for a cruise that is over a year away. I did'nt realize that you could make a cruise reservation that far in advance?

What line is that with. Thanks a lot.

mskatee

for good women's fiction: A Necessary Woman by Helen Van Slyke is about a journalist who wins an around-the-world cruise, and takes her niece with her instead of her husband, and reports back on all the exotic places she visits.

"The Princess Charming" was a fun read about a girlfriends' annual getaway cruise. I think the author is Jane Heller...but not positive about that. Fun to read which sipping a frozen drink..the "Shopaholic" series by Sophie Kinsella. Funny stuff!

If you liked Skinny Dip by Carl Hiasson, why not pick up some of his other books? Even though they don't take place on cruise ships they are written in the same funny and satiric tone, as he savages the creeps and low-lifes who live in Florida. They are all in print as inexpensive paperbacks and should be read in sequence to really enjoy them as certain characters keep popping up in them.

And in one of his early books, written in the late 80's, there is a funny 50 page sequence that does take place on a cruise ship of the period.

We bought all 9 of the books and take them on our various cruises; after 4 trips Dw has done 7 and I have done 5. Perfect pool deck reading.:)

Carl Hiasson wrote one called Tourist Season that someone recently recommended to me. The wife found it on Ebay but I'm waiting for a vacation to read it.

Not cruise related, but there are some good mysteries set in Key West by Tom Corcoran.

Alisa Allan worte six books in 2005, all with cruise themes. They are relatively short (less than 200 pages) and all set in a different cruise destination area (Hawaiian Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, etc.). I bought mine from Barnes & Noble online but I'm sure others have them. You can also see them at BonVoyageBooks.com. Their names are "Winds of Change", "After Midnight", "The Best Man", "Beyond the Horizon", "One Last Time", "Angel Mist." I have read two of them and they are easy reads and kind of love type stories but not the sex filled ones. I am saving the others to read as my cruise gets closer!

Denise :)

In the Cruise Rituals forum, there is quite a lengthy thread (19 pages) on book recommendations though not all cruise theme related. I just posted about this book I just finished. Definitely a “easy” read that takes place on a cruise ship. A murder mystery with some humor and a lot of dessert recipes. Many references in the book to topics discussed here on CC. Cigarette smoke blowing onto non-smoker balconies, overpriced shore excursions you can do on your own cheaper, complaining passengers getting freebies, etc...

Bon Bon Voyage by Nancy Fairbanks

Check out this thread for a lot more ideas.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=67422

Carl Hiasson wrote one called Tourist Season that someone recently recommended to me. The wife found it on Ebay but I'm waiting for a vacation to read it.

I think that is the book that has a sequence on a cruiseship of the 80's. In any case all his books are available at Barnes & Noble in the mystery section.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I, too, am planning a cruise which is almost a year away, and I've got a running list of books to read before, or during, the cruise. If I can't be on a ship, I enjoy reading stories about those who are! :D

Here are some fun books that really illustrate the class system on the early ships as well as good mysteries.

Allen, Conrad Murder on the Caronia (2003) 1908 At Sea Murder on the Lusitania (1999) 1907 At Sea Murder on the Marmora (2004) 1908 Suez Murder on the Mauritania 1907 At Sea Murder on the Minnesota 1908 At Sea Murder on the Oceanic (2006) 1910 At Sea Murder on the Salsette (2005) 1908 At Sea

It is a murder mystery that takes place on a cruise of the Hawaiian Islands. It part of the "Passport to Peril" series and it was fun, if not a bit silly. The one rule on cruising - make sure you bring along a bag of M&M's!

Charlie

• 7 years later...

Dave Barry's Guide to Guys. Cooking With Fernet Branca, James Hamilton-Patterson, anything by David Sedaris, his latest is a world trek called Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls. Then there is funny warm and fuzzy: The Scotland Street Series by Alexander McCall Smith (you gotta love 6 year old, clarinet playing, Italian speaking, psychoanalyzed Bertie) Try to read this series in order. You can check out the reviews on goodreads or your favorite internet shopping site.

Spoiler: I am not the normal reader..really love the offbeat and great classics (like Dead Souls by Gogol)

I loved Candy Calvert's series. The titles are "Dressed to Keel", "Aye Do or Die", and "Mai Tai to Murder".

They are funny mysteries that all take place on cruises. You can almost tell which cruiseline she's talking about in each book. Wish she would have written more of them.

Archived