"Must Eats" on Celebrity?

laura1960

OK, I apologize if this has been done before (I did a search and couldn't find anything similar), but I'm curious to know if anyone has any "to-die-for, absolutely must eat" foods on the Celebrity line. It can be anything - ranging from the fancy food in the dining rooms to a simple room service sandwich.

We're leaving on the Summit SB Alaska on 8/5 - can't wait! I've never been on a Celebrity cruise before and am interested in seeing what they have to offer. I've drooled over a couple of the menus, though. And I've heard that the food in the AquaSpa Cafe is delightful.

So folks, what did you absolutely love to eat on an X cruise, and wish you had right now?

(On our last cruise, it was the Beef Wellington, followed closely by the reuben sandwiches from the deli.)

Laura, a California foodie

In the specialty restaurants on the M-class I loved the prawns wrapped in pancetta. It was prepared at the table and so delicious.

Also, on both M-class cruises I've taken there was a dessert served the first night...I don't know the name but it tasted like a very elegant kit-kat ;)

Laura,

I just took my first cruise on X in May. I would suggest that you not miss having dinner in the specialty restaurant. Anything on that menu is delicious. The goat cheese souffle is something everyone raved about and I must agree, it was delicious. The chocolate souffle was the best I have ever had. Steak diane melted in your mouth.

Also agree that Aqua Spa Cafe is better than the buffet. Light, healthy and tasty. Enjoy!

Patty

I noticed you mentioned the midnight buffet...sailing for the first time on X in September. Do all X ships have a midnight buffet? Each night, or just on certain nights. I suppose I could wait and find out, but I am one of those people who just have to know before I go. Thanks!

Cashew chicken in the Aqua Spa, the Lamb chops George IV (on the 14 day cruise), the minestone soup, the pickles & friench fries in the grill, the Cuban sandwich in the buffet, the Caesar salad in the Normandie specialty restaurant. Every day there was a new find and a new favorite.

Be sure to try the FRESH guacamole at the Mexican lunch buffet...get some nachos and wash it with a Margarita.

Also on the first night when everone is ordering the shrimp cocktail appetizer,try the heavenly Mushroom fuilette. You can get the shrimp too if you must as well as on any other night,but be adventursome,you won't regret it.

And don't miss the Martini tasting the first night.

The clam chowder in a bread bowl from the room service menu. Very rich and creamy, with no potato chunks -- just lots and lots of clams. Best clam chowder I have EVER had.

Best bearnaise sauce I've had outside of France.

Another vote for the mushroom feuillete appretizer.

The breadsticks in general are yummy, but if you can get the ones flavored with olive oil and oregano -- best ones I've had outside of Italy!

Also very good Eggs Benedict. Darn, now I'm HUNGRY!! :p

I noticed you mentioned the midnight buffet...sailing for the first time on X in September. Do all X ships have a midnight buffet? Each night, or just on certain nights. I suppose I could wait and find out, but I am one of those people who just have to know before I go. Thanks!
All 8 X cruises we have been on have had one "Grand Buffet" on the final formal night. Most other nights there are waiters with trays of "gourmet bites" in the public areas.

Be sure to try the FRESH guacamole at the Mexican lunch buffet...get some nachos and wash it with a Margarita.

Also on the first night when everone is ordering the shrimp cocktail appetizer,try the heavenly Mushroom fuilette. You can get the shrimp too if you must as well as on any other night,but be adventursome,you won't regret it.

And don't miss the Martini tasting the first night.

I agree with most of the posters on this thread and with drfun48 on everything except the Martini tasting. If you truly love martinis, stay far away from it. The martinis on X are the best we have ever had except the tasting. All were warm (martinis should be ice cold) and beyond sweet. We are martini bar regulars (members of the original Martini Mates from Infinity) and all of the regular ones are to die for but not the tastings.

And I agree that the mushroom fuilette is wonderful. What isn't is almost any X salad. Never had one that wasn't just lettuce and dressing. So, order any appetizer other than the shrimp cocktail and ask your waiter to bring you a shrimp cocktail when he brings everyone else their salad. I do it every night of the cruise. They are happy to oblige.

Fresh grapefruit

Muesli for breakfast

Any dessert with chocolate (I used to work in a French bakery that's probably the best in the tri-state area, and X stuff is exactly the same)

Martinis (it's a good thing they weren't free :D )

Cold soups

Red cabbage Coleslaw from daily lunch buffet

Curries

Sushi (make sure to catch the demonstration)

My husband's favorites -- waffles and rack of veal

Any seafood/fish was great, EXCEPT shrimp for dinner (not deveined properly and smelled of iodine). However, baby lobster tails made up for it :) :) :)

We really enjoyed the sushi for dinner. We just returned from the Zenith to Bermuda and one day decided to stay at the beach late and have sushi for dinner. We were really surprised at how fresh and tasty it was. I wish I was hungrier because I would have eaten more.

My teenagers said the hamburgers out by the pool were really good and juicy. I didn't have one and wouldn't consider that a MUST have, unless maybe if you're a teenager. I say not only the chocolate pastry in the Cova Cafe mentioned previously, but also the almond ones. YUMMY !!!!!

Some mornings the main dining room will offer an awesome baked apple or the banana slices in cream-YUM

Also, I have not been on your ship but the Infinity made some heavenly ice creams, my favorites Cinnamon, After Eight, Butter Pecan.

Archived