1A Cabins on Carnival (MERGED THREADS)

trvllover

i signed up for e-docs and found out my room assignment. i'll be in a 5A room, obstructed ov on deck 4.

not bad, i guess. if i booked this room specifically, would have cost me $ 400 more at the solo rate.

the Pride has no 1a porthole cabins.

SWEET upgrade. That'll be a nice cabin! I'm still hoping for an upgrade, there are only 2 available 1A cabins on my April sailing, but they're still offering 1A gtys. (Don't get me wrong, I'd be v. happy w/whatever I end up getting).

• 6 months later...

I couldn't find an answer to this question using the search function. If I book a 1A on a Carnival cruise (upper/lower I believe they are), do I get the room, or is it a share? I saw the following symbols on the Carnival web site next to the 1A (SH,N) and I couldn't find a key to tell me what it meant.

I don't believe Carnival has the share program. Could the SH stand for "shower"?

I was in a 1A on the Spirit and it had a queen size bed. Very spacious for 1 person, with a nice layout and bathroom. I thought I was getting a bunk bed type of arrangment, but it turned out not to be that room configuration.

What ship are you sailing?

Roz

Hi Roz,

I didn't book it yet, my idea is to take a couple of inexpensive, short cruises so I can get closer to Platinum level. I just don't want to share a cabin with someone I don't know.... Thanks for replying.

I was on the Miracle in 2006. I had a 1A room that was near the elevator and an employee entrance.

I was really worried at first about this, but I never had any noise issue except for one day. That was went people were returning from port in Costa Maya (I had some totally wasted people on my deck :eek: ). Otherwise nothing.

My room had two twin beds that my cabin steward placed together to make a queen bed. The bathroom was a shower only, but it was very roomy. I had plenty of space in the room and I like the fact that you had channels on the tv to look outside 24/7.

Bring a nightlight because the room is very dark! But it's perfect for sleeping.

My room steward was ok. He did everything that was required, but nothing extra.

I think on the older ships that you will see the upper and lower bedding.

I also know that a few of the newer ships 1A rooms have windows. You have to know which rooms they are because past cruisers who had them before will request them. Place a thread on the Carinval board to find out which ships have them. There's a thread concerning this, but it's been a while since I saw it.

Enjoy your sailing! Have fun!

Happy sailing!!

Second time around and my 40th birthday cruise on the

MAASDAM

10/24/08-11/07/08

I couldn't find an answer to this question using the search function. If I book a 1A on a Carnival cruise (upper/lower I believe they are), do I get the room, or is it a share? I saw the following symbols on the Carnival web site next to the 1A (SH,N) and I couldn't find a key to tell me what it meant.

It won't be a share, you will have the room to yourself. I wish NCL had some cabins for single-occupancy. I got lucky once to get 0% surcharge over the per person rate but it is extremely rare (6 night cruise for less than 300$ solo... that's a bargain I don't think I will see again soon).

Carnival 1A cabins are not charged at the 200% rate. I paid 130% on my last cruise and 140% on my upcoming cruise. I've picked the ships with the 1A's with windows. On Triumph I had the cabin with upper and lower singles. On the Valor, I believe my cabin will have 2 lowers/1 queen. These are the best bargains for solo's. If you look at the deck plan there is a legend explaining all of the abbreviations.

I agree with JPG; I've never paid 200% for a 1A on Carnival. It's been in the 130-150% range.

Crusin', maybe you were on a holiday sailing if you were charged 200%.

Roz

My experience w/sgl supps is limited, but I have learned that the percentage is frequently dependent on itinerary.

The lowest percentage is not always the best price, either.

For Example:

I'm paying a 138% sgl supp for a TOP category inside cabin on princess, booked just last week. This is a two week Caribbean cruise.

I'm also paying a 185% sgl supp to Princess for a TOP category inside cabin on a Canada/New England cruise.

Holland America is asking the same price in a near BOTTOM category inside GUARANTEE for the identical itinerary.

Holland America's sgl supp for this cruise is 145%.

Even though I'm paying a higher sgl supp on Princess, the cost is about the same for the cabin of my choice in a much higher level cabin category.

The lesson I've learned is to research pricing. Once you do that, you realize that the lower sgl supp doesn't always get you the best deal.

You can research prices, and compare sgl supp to dbl occupancy fares on nearly all the major cruise line web sites.

When I find an itinerary that grabs my interest, I start visiting the cruise line web sites for the best cruise for the money.

Even then, I wouldn't always book the lowest fare. The cruise line, ship and accomodations take priority over a moderate cost saving.

Plus if you do a 1A guarantee there is a chance you could be upgraded. Every one of my friends who has done the 1A guarantee got upgraded, and upgraded well!

Oh, I hope so!!! Not that I wouldn't be happy cruising in my 1A, just that I'd love to be visited by the upgrade fairy!

When I book a 1A I am specifically booking the ones with the windows. I don't want an upgrade unless it's to an outside cabin. I would turn down any upgrades to a regular inside. If I can't get those specific 1A's I'll book an outside.

When I book a 1A I am specifically booking the ones with the windows. I don't want an upgrade unless it's to an outside cabin. I would turn down any upgrades to a regular inside. If I can't get those specific 1A's I'll book an outside.

I booked a 1A guarantee and got a 1A cabin assignment which is fine because it is one that has the two twins that can be pushed together.

For the cruise after that I booked the 1A with the windows so I won't play the guarantee game anymore. I like picking my room when it's a good one like those sweet windows or the two twins pushed together. Heaven for a single!

I have room 2445 (L-shaped 1A with the two pictures windows) booked for my cruise next month on the Triumph. I then booked the same room on the Victory in June 09. This will be my first solo cruise and I am very excited. These rooms seem perfect for a solo cruiser.

I have room 2445 (L-shaped 1A with the two pictures windows) booked for my cruise next month on the Triumph. I then booked the same room on the Victory in June 09. This will be my first solo cruise and I am very excited. These rooms seem perfect for a solo cruiser.

I had that cabin on my Triumph cruise last November. I loved it. You have 3 closets, a vanity with drawers, and a sofa. The room got a bit cold for me, so I turned off the air vent over the bed and just left the one on by the closets. At night I closed the curtain on the window next to the bed and left the curtain open on the window by the sofa, so I had privacy and still woke up to sulight. I don't know if you'll get the same steward, but the one I had (sorry, can't remember his name) was great.

I booked my next Carnival cruise on the Valor because I could get the same cabin.

... I saw the following symbols on the Carnival web site next to the 1A (SH,N) and I couldn't find a key to tell me what it meant.

Was doing some research for a possible 7-day 2009 birthday cruise in a 1A on Carnival Conquest's so-called "Eastern Caribbean" itinerary from Galveston. It is really more of a Bahamas cruise with port calls to Key West, Fla., and Freeport and Nassau, The Bahamas.

In case you still have not found the key, I found it.

SH - Shower

N - Smoking preference not supported

PH - Port hole

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

When you book for a certain room do you go through the cruiseline or a TA? How do you specify that certain room that you want?

Either way you should be able to tell them what specific cabin you want, assuming it's available. Look at the deck plans, and then say, for example, "I want to book cabin #1347".

The exception is when a cruise only allows you to book a guarantee in a certain category, usually because that category is sold out.

Roz

• 1 month later...

I booked a category 1A for my upcoming back to back cruises on the Carnival Freedom. I went for a higher deck rather than a window. I’m on the Empress deck. I did not book a guarantee because I want to make sure I have the same cabin for both cruises. I don't want to move between cruises. I am paying 150% of the double rate.

I will be on the Carnival Triumph in January 2009, shortly after she comes out of drydock. In your recent post you describe what must be a cabin I have booked. I am on a back-to-back cruise and have cabin 2444 one week and 2445 the next week. Couldn't believe that I could get a 1A with a window.

Questions:

Most importantly: Was it noisy??? Looks like a stairwell is next door.

Is it an obstructed view? I don't believe so, but want to double check.

Did they have a "sinles mingler" one of the first evenings?

Any tips?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Mary T.

I will be on the Carnival Triumph in January 2009, shortly after she comes out of drydock. In your recent post you describe what must be a cabin I have booked. I am on a back-to-back cruise and have cabin 2444 one week and 2445 the next week. Couldn't believe that I could get a 1A with a window.

Questions:

Most importantly: Was it noisy??? Looks like a stairwell is next door.

Is it an obstructed view? I don't believe so, but want to double check.

Did they have a "sinles mingler" one of the first evenings?

Any tips?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Mary T.

The cabin was very quiet and the view is not obstructed. There are two big windows, one next to the bed and one next to the sofa. I don't remember a singles mixer. If there was one, I didn't go to it. I believe you can use the stairway for the muster drill, but otherwise I think it's for the crew only. You're right under the dining room, but you won't hear anything.