Delayed Flight Missed Ship

Leona1

I have a friend sailing on the Majesty this afternoon. she just called to say her flight is not scheduled to land in Miami until 3 as opposed to 1 PM. The ship sails at 5. If it has another delay and she doesn't make it in time to make the ship, what are her options. She has no cruise insurance. Long story.

The cruise is only 3 nights

Any ideas?

Leona

She should be on the phone with the airline or go directly to the airport to get on an earlier flight. Since it was the airline that changed her flight they should be able to change it without any fees

She prays she gets there in time. Or she'll be flying again to catch up with the ship (at her expense).

With the cutbacks airlines are making they delay flights just to combine them with other flights. This is why I usually try to fly into the area where we are cruising from a day ahead of time. Even my upcoming cruise, where I simply have to drive to the pier we're pondering a day early arrival.

Here's hoping for your friend.

JC

The problem is that it is only a 3 night cruise and the first port she could even fly to is nassau and they don't go there until Sunday and the ship comes back monday.

There are no other flights out of Denver she can take.

I feel so bad. I may call the RCI later but they will be of no help I am sure.

IS WRONG!

Airlines do not cancel to combine!

Don't make stuff up! Have you ever worked in crew scheduling? Flight scheduling? Etc???

Airlines are flying RECORD load factors! I defy you to find half empty flights!

Where do people pick up uninformed misinformation like this!!!!!

PS...I only spent 20+ years in the airline industry....

Just a question for you. If they cancel the flight, what do you think they do with the equipment? Put it on a truck and drive to to the next city to save fuel?

If you ever looked at one plane's flight schedule, you would see the complexity of cancelling a flight segment.

If they booked their flight through RC, they'll foot the bill and fly them directly to the first port of call.

I used to think this too. But right here on CC I was educatedly differently. If you chose cruise air and transfers, the cruiseline just provides you a ticket and the transfer (thy may get the transfers to wait on you and if alot of passengers are just slightly late they may wait to sail) and that is all that they do. The rest is up to you and the airline and your insurance if any. Remember on the insurance you usually have to pay, file and then get reimbursed so don't max out those credit cards before your cruise.

I can look up the thread where this was discussed if you need to read it.

I have a friend sailing on the Majesty this afternoon. she just called to say her flight is not scheduled to land in Miami until 3 as opposed to 1 PM. The ship sails at 5. If it has another delay and she doesn't make it in time to make the ship, what are her options. She has no cruise insurance. Long story.

Any ideas?

Leona

This is one instance where I would just go with the flow and not worry about it until she knows for sure she's going to miss the ship. I'm not sure it would be worth the cost and hassle to catch up with the ship for a three (which becomes 2 or less) day cruise. That would have to be determined. I would try to make the best of it, and consider a mini-vacation in Miami.

I had one close call like this....never again have I flown in same day.

Any ideas?

Leona

If the flight was booked through RCCL, she has nothing to worry about. The cruise line will get her to the ship.

If she booked it herself, find an earlier flight or another airline that might have a 6am or 7am flight to get there on time. If no other flight is available, pack everything in a carry-on, this will easily save 30 minutes for the luggage to show up from the plane. Take less shoes or less formal clothing for dinner but you cant wait for luggage if you want to make the ship.

IS WRONG!

Don't make stuff up! Have you ever worked in crew scheduling? Flight scheduling? Etc???

Just a question for you. If they cancel the flight, what do you think they do with the equipment? Put it on a truck and drive to to the next city to save fuel?

If you ever looked at one plane's flight schedule, you would see the complexity of cancelling a flight segment.

Need a valium?

Wow. I'm sure this is stressful. I'm assuming your friend is flying AA's delayed nonstop this morning. It's probably too late to get on any other flights that would get your friend to Miami any earlier.

1) She needs to call RCI and let them know about the flight. If the departure time holds, she'll be rushed, but will be fine for making the ship.

2) Make sure the airline knows she's trying to make a cruise. See if there are nonstops to Ft. Lauderdale that get in earlier?

I'll save my lecture about always flying in the night before a cruise (especially being as far away from Miami as Denver) for later.

'The earliest the flight will arrive in Miami is now 30 minutes before the ship leaves. There is no way she can make it. AA checked every conceivable option and there are none. They will refund her money completely.

I feel bad for her.

Leona

No need to shout Jim.
You have the right to speak up, especially with facts. Unfortunately, some will throw it against the wall and see if it will stick. "This board is for information", not misinformation.

IS WRONG!

Wow, I must say this post frightens me.. (I am only kidding, please don't come looking for me) :eek: :D :p

Royal Caribbean just called back and told her if her flight does land at 3:30 with no further delays she should take it, rush to the cruise termina., call them at the number they gave and they will hold the ship if possible.

It is entirely her decision.

Leona

The first stop is CocoCay. It is only a 15 minute boat ride from Miami (one of the ladies on CocoCay told me so). Can she or RCI (they not obligated to) find a charter to CocoCay tomorrow? Even paying someone to ride on a supply run (can she cook for the crew :D ) would be an adventure!

P.S. Even if she lands by 3:30 what about her luggage! It'll be 4 pm before she can claim her luggage, how long of a taxi ride is it to the ship?

Hi, I found the thread that talks about what the cruiseline can do for you if you have booked airfare thru them:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=370879

Basically, they will not pay for transportation to the ship at a later port if your original flight is delayed. I think this is a common misconception.

hoping for teh best for Leona's friend!

Archived