What would you tell someone...

joyluck

On topic, the main thing I learned was that you will not need anywhere near as much stuff as you think you will.

The bathroom/shower has a full shampoo/conditioner dispenser and the stuff isn't bad (and I am picky).

A bunch of shorts and some shirts, couple pair of shoes, a two pair pants for dinner (you can recycle), few collar shirts, toothbrush and you're good to go.

OH, and a suit for formal nights

You really don't need as much stuff as you think

They have you pretty covered on most everything

The bathroom/shower has a full shampoo/conditioner dispenser and the stuff isn't bad (and I am picky).

On Carnival ships at least, the dispenser provides a body wash in one compartment and a combination shampoo/conditioner in the other. The combo does not have enough conditioner to suit me, and the only conditioner for sale on the ships is the pricey stuff in the spa. I was glad I brought my own.

- The Shower, Steam, Sauna and whirlpools are free in the spa

- Show up late to the muster drill so you wont be packed in the back like sardines

- You can order additional entrees at dinner

- have the purser punch a hole in your S&S card and put it on a lanyard

- Take clothespins to weight down the shower curtain

- pack your liquor in your checked luggage

- Chocolate Buffets are on last sea day (usually)

- Take hair conditioner with you

- Take water shoes for water related shore excursions and to wear in the spa

- Be prepared to pay $70 for the week for tips per person

:D Also, are there things you take that make your trip easier that a first time cruiser might not think to take?

I do a lot of people watching that first hour or so onboard.

I get up to the Lido deck-- grab a few burgers and sit back. There are waiters walking around with trays of drinks-- He will ask you if you want one...You on the other hand think they look lovely and never once ask if they cost money say- "dont mind if I do. You take a sip then the waiter asks you for your sign and sail card where you just made your first 7 buck drink of the week. Inital shock, then of course you smile.. and hand over your card--all the time giving your traveling partner the evil eye-- (like it really was his fault)

On topic, the main thing I learned was that you will not need anywhere near as much stuff as you think you will.

A bunch of shorts and some shirts, couple pair of shoes, a two pair pants for dinner (you can recycle), few collar shirts, toothbrush and you're good to go.

OH, and a suit for formal nights

You really don't need as much stuff as you think

They have you pretty covered on most everything

ROFL ok this was a mans point of view, so yeah not much needed. But from a womans point, bring your shampoo and conditioner if you use salon stuff, the stuff in the bathroom was dove I think.

If your a female bring alot of clothes, cause we NEED them, want them and DESERVE them :-)

Oh and on shore excursions, try reading the ports pages here before you make a reservation with the ship, I am saving a bunch next month by taking private excursions and I KNOW they are great cause the good people of CC told me so. And mostly HAVE FUN!!!!

Who had never been on a cruise? Just general tips? I am so excited to go, but I don't want to miss out on anything because I am not an experienced cruiser? :D Thanks!

1. Decide in advance that your cruise is not a once-in-a-lifetime event, so that when minor annoyances occur, they won't be so...annoying. Expect to have a wonderful time, not a perfectly flawless experience. On your next cruise, you'll have a whole different set of minor annoyances. ;)

2. Thousands of people take their first cruise each year and I'd bet almost all of them love it, in spite of being afraid that they will:

• do something dumb - so what? All the mistakes you can make have already been made by hundreds of folks before you, unless you are really innovative.
  • not fit in - people of every background, size, personality, social and financial strata are cruisers
  • be bored - sometimes just reading on the deck or luxuriating in an afternoon nap is the perfect thing; don't decide you have to "get your money's worth" by doing everything and then being all worn out from your vacation. Nobody says you have to go on shore excursions.
  • Not know "how to do it" - Doing research is fun and helpful, but even folks who do none find that everything is pretty much taken care of. There are plenty of "tips and tricks" that are good to know but, even without them, the cruise lines like to keep things simple for their clients, rather than challenging.

3. And one specific tip: if you really want to see or do something - maybe a show, a demonstration, a game - get there 33 minutes early

Joking aside I tell people that if they don't get sea sick they WILL become addicted, the food the lights the activity the friends the islands...no way you could not want to do it again!!!

MAO

ROFL ok this was a mans point of view, so yeah not much needed. But from a womans point, bring your shampoo and conditioner if you use salon stuff, the stuff in the bathroom was dove I think.

If your a female bring alot of clothes, cause we NEED them, want them and DESERVE them :-)

Oh and on shore excursions, try reading the ports pages here before you make a reservation with the ship, I am saving a bunch next month by taking private excursions and I KNOW they are great cause the good people of CC told me so. And mostly HAVE FUN!!!!

Just got back from a cruise on the Imagination....... Took way too many clothes , some nights was too tired for make up and getting dressed up:p BUT I HAD THEM and would have died if I didn't have 3 changes of clothes per day !!!

Took a $1000 in spending and came back with ZIPPO, and a hefty credit bill from my sail and sign ( but it was worth it ):)

DO book private excursions, did this from recommendations on cruise critic and saved BEAUCOUP $$$s

Bring your own sodas on board, it really helped with the kids. We just wheeled it on in a collapsible cooler, no problem

ENJOY all that the ship has to offer!

Have fun and enjoy the other passengers! You'll meet many interesting people from all walks of life.

MOST IMPORTANT enjoy the anticipation by reading the posts on CRUISE CRITIC. This was the single most important thing I did, learned tons and it made the anticipation of the cruise that much better!

Have a great time !:p

Who had never been on a cruise? Just general tips? I am so excited to go, but I don't want to miss out on anything because I am not an experienced cruiser? :D Thanks!

I would give a new cruiser this website and tell the to read any review on the ship they will be sailing on in the board/forum sections.

Fred

Archived