Pinnacle $30 Ahhhhhh!!!!

fb0075

In the overall scheme of things, a $10 difference in a meal price vs. what I've paid for my vacation cruise, isn't a lot. I know each person looks at pricing differently, and certainly their reasonings are as valid as mine! :)

If I wish to dine in the Pinnacle Grill, I will. It's my vacation, and if I wish to "treat myself" (as I will undoubtedly do each day in any number of ways :D ), then it's the price I'll pay for my "treat"! ;)

Everyone sees their own financial situation differently; and each chooses their priorities. And I agree with Sail: some will choose not to dine there, and others will continue to. Personally, I'm just glad we have the alternative to choose....

Edit:

By the way, how long has the Pinnacle been available on HAL?

JMO,

Paul

Couldn't agree more. However, if there is a way to spend less money while still enjoying the same treat, I would find whatever way to pay less. I am going on a HAL cruise with 7 people, that's a $70 more i have to dish out. I am going to pre-order before Oct 1 and save the $70 on something else. Sorry, I am an accountant.

Also, how smart is Hal.....think about what they have done...raised the price enough that maybe not as many people will go thus meaning less employees in the Pinnacle will be need but yet same amount of money coming in due to rate increase. So even if their numbers are down they will still come out ahead...just my 2cents worth..

Yeah. Also by not announcing it will certainly catch people off guard. Had I not been browsing this forum, I would not even know that they are jacking up the price. I would otherwise find that out in a month's time when I get on board the Noordam. Once you are there, people would likely dish out the $10 anyways.

Of interest to people in the UK.... we recently cruised on the Noordam and received from Sea Vacations (HAL's UK agent) two vouchers for a free meal at the Pinnacle. Not sure whether they do this for everyone but we weren't staying in a suite or anything special like that so I suspect so! It was a very nice touch and the meal was fantastic :D

We were on the April 3 Asia cruise and noticed how empty the Grill seemed to be, most of the 14 nights. Friends, who had a comp. meal via Travel Agent, ate there during the cruise and felt the food was not as tasty as most of the DR meals and the service was not great. We ate in the Pinnacle on the AMS several years ago, were almost totally ignored, had sent our wine to the Grill and they had trouble finding it--came 1/2 way through meal--and I was of the opinion that the offerings were not very good or very hot. We have not gone back on 4 cruises since then and at $30 pp, I think the chances are pretty slim that we ever will. hmh

I am surprised that they are changing the price to $30 pp after Oct 1st...

My surprise is that I just got my documents for an October 7th sailing and in my documents it clearly states that I have the option to dine in the Pinnacle for $20pp... I would expect that they would have to change this in documents that the are sending out...

How can they just "surprise" me and tell me now that they want to charge $30pp.. can they do this??

December will be our first HAL cruise. Our first cruise as NCL and we visited the specialty restaurants several nights - not even sure if we ate in the dinning room but maybe once. It cost us and we enjoyed it. Unfortunately I don't remember how much they were but I think only one was $20 the others were less. With that said we like fine eating but we don't have to have it to enjoy a good meal. I actually find it hard to pay over $20 per person as it is when I can get something I enjoy somewhere else for less. It's just a change of priorities that's all. We spend our money elsewhere and on different things these days. I was looking forward to the Pinnacle for a special night for the four of us but with the price increase I would have to be convinced it is worth it. I can't fault HAL for the increase. Costs for everything has gone up and they have to find a way make up for it.

Just my thoughts as I was reading this thread. As others have said, once the shock wears off most will still eat there and enjoy their experience and not think twice about it. Hopefull HAL will make changes as have been suggested here to make it a little more 'special' especially for those of you who cruise often - you deserve it!

Blessings!

Of interest to people in the UK.... we recently cruised on the Noordam and received from Sea Vacations (HAL's UK agent) two vouchers for a free meal at the Pinnacle. Not sure whether they do this for everyone but we weren't staying in a suite or anything special like that so I suspect so! It was a very nice touch and the meal was fantastic :D

There are 7 of us travelling and we all got our tickets. NO VOUCHERS:mad:

I'm finding it interesting reading this thread and thinking back to when HAL first introduced Pinnacles (on Zuiderdam) and we learned it would be an additional charge.

Everyone was carrying on about how Odyssey and Marco Polo had been no extra charge and they wouldn't pay extra and, indeed, some people stuck to their word and refused to pay Pinnacle Grill charge of $20.00 per person. BUT, many (a great many) of us have paid the charge.......repeatedly. Some of us were convinced it wouldn't be worth it but we found it was and now for some of us, our cruise is not complete (in our opinion) until we have dined in Pinnacle....at least once. Some of us go more than once.

So, my guess is........Yes, we'll moan and groan and complain..... and then many of us will 'suck it up' and make our reservations.

I am happy to hear there will be menu changes and specials daily. That will make a big difference IMO. I have tired a little of the same menu over and over so they are going to be charging us more but it appears they will be providing us more.

Let's give it a chance. Anyone who doesn't want to pay extra, of course, simply doesn't go to Pinnacle......same as now. No change in that regard.

No one HAS to leave the very fine dining room. Many of us comment regularly on this board that we have consistendly seen an improvement in the dining room and most of us are very satisfied with our dinners there. No need to pay anything extra if you don't want to.

She is so very correct.:D :D

Adding choice does add more cost associated within.

Nobody is able to backwards in time except for memories and Kodak memories on paper not even with silver nitrate now....

Choice is up to the person to pay or not to pay ???...is the question.

The answer again, is a personal/professional choice as worth is as well.:eek:

Wow, I got this far and actually have something new to contribute. Last year we were on the Carnival Miracle where Nick & Nora's was $30/pp. The night that we went there were two other tables with passengers and two tables with employees, amazing how dead it was.

Knowing that HAL is owned by CCL, I was kind of surprised to see the specialty restaurant price lower on their better line.

One reason for the price increase could be that the price of the USDA prime has skyrocketed! Restaurant cost for prime meat is over $30/pound last time I looked. That's a big difference from the $4/pound steaks they serve in the main dining room.

We do plan to do the PG one night on our upcoming cruise, I appreciate the tip about pre-paying. The way I plan to save is to not order the Dom Perignon like last time. (Hopefully DW doesn't spend $200+ getting her hair done like last time :) )

Just called to pre-pay for our December cruise on the Westerdam...thanks for the tip to all of those who posted that they spoke with Ships Services.

The last time I sailed on HAL, there was no Pinnacle Grill, so I have no experience in whether its worth $20 vs $30; however, for 5 of us dining there for a special occasion, $100 vs $150 is a pretty big difference - especially considering that we could eat for free in the Dining Room.

Sea King certainly made a number of valid points - I can only explain why I am shocked the price is going up so drastically (IMHO 50% is a drastic increase). I certainly do have the choice of not eating in the Pinnacle - but, from a business standpoint, its hard for passengers to justify spending an extra $30 per person (plus tip if you're so inclined) when they already get an excellent meal in the dining room that they've already paid for.

I can understand the reasons for the increase - certainly, the cost of everything is increasing these days and the competition continues to heat up among cruise lines; however, I agree with those who have said that a $5 increase (to $25) would have been much more agreeable.

I am certainly glad that we were able to pre-pay at $20 (and hope HAL honours it!) because we would not have been celebrating my birthday at the Pinnacle if it was $30 p/p.

Couldn't agree more. However, if there is a way to spend less money while still enjoying the same treat, I would find whatever way to pay less. I am going on a HAL cruise with 7 people, that's a $70 more i have to dish out. I am going to pre-order before Oct 1 and save the $70 on something else. Sorry, I am an accountant.

Andy: No need to apologize! And that's exactly why I went ahead and called today...believe me, I have no qualms at paying $20 instead of $30! :D

Paul

First night has not been $10 for a while, but we were able to book for first night at that rate once on board the Noordam in May. I'd read on the boards that could be done and gave it a try - it worked!

Also, I'm unclear from the posts if the menu changes also become effective 10/1. We have B2B in October and a promo Pinnacle dinner on each, so hope so.

Given the way communication goes, does anyone want to make sure that the $30 does not take effect with all sailings on or after 10/1 as opposed to pre-boarding reservations for the PC, made before 10/1, regardless of sail date.

Hate to see a "cat fight" ensue onboard between PG and passengers who were told......

My information is that the price for dining at Pinnacle will be $30 per person beginning October 1.

If Ship Services continues to sell Pinnacles bookings between now and October 1 for $20 (even though the actual reservation is for a date after October 1), it would be expected the ship has to honor it.

I'm surprised Ships Services is doing that.

On our 11/25 Noordam cruise, we'll arrive in Tortola at 3 p.m., and won't get back from our excursion until after 7--way too late for our early dinner. Now we'll either eat in Road Town, order room service, or eat at the Lido. When eating on shore costs about the same as eating at the PG, one might as well get some local experience.

A note here about us: we were iffy about the PG at $20 a person, because we don't much like steakhouses. For the Italian restaurant on Rotterdam that was replaced by the PG, we gladly would have paid $20 or $30. For a steakhouse, no way!

We have four future cruises booked......through to November, 2007.

I wonder if Ships Services would accept a booking for Pinnacle Dinners from us for all those cruises? If so, I should be on the phone instead of here on the Internet. ;)

I have two nights booked on the Oosterdam, 10/7/06 cruise and was billed $40 for each to my AMEX. I was under the impression you could reserve when you booked... guess i need to read the posts here a little better :o now i have something to do after we board... hope i can get a table on the first night, its our aniversary. Ship services person stated that the amount I was billed would be all I was paying. So i guess that means reservations/gifts being paid for now will be honored at old price.

Archived