Pinnacle $30 Ahhhhhh!!!!

fb0075

I REALLY hated to read this post as we leave on 10/21. I was going to make reservations at PG before we left, but I think I will wait and see. Is anyone SURE the $30 does not include the tip? Maybe the servers were not getting a fair tip and, like the daily auto tip, maybe this is a way to ensure they do?

If it included the tip I could live with that as we would have spent $60 for the night. But if it doesn't then we will pass and enjoy the dining room as we always do.

I'm sure until this gets around people will go and then be shocked by the price, but that would only happen once for me.

My upcoming cruise will be my first on HAL so I have no first hand experience of how good or bad the Pinnacle Grill is.

On my last cruise on the Constellation we ate in Oceanliners and if I recall correctly it was $30 per head. Worth it? This was one of the finest meals we have ever had in our lives. We have been to many fine restaurants in and around London where we live and around the world whilst on holiday.

I can say that the meal in Oceanliners that we had was at least as good as any restaurant costing $300-500 a couple in the UK.

As I say having not experienced the Pinnacle but only reviews it would appear to me that I will be more likely to opt for the dining room, than, as it seems, the Pinnacle is not worth $60 more a couple than the dining room.

Anyway you never know if I see a menu one evening that doesn't particularly appeal to us we may try it out - if there are any tables free and by looks of things @ $30 a head it shouldn't be too much of a problem to get a reservation.

My upcoming cruise will be my first on HAL so I have no first hand experience of how good or bad the Pinnacle Grill is.

On my last cruise on the Constellation we ate in Oceanliners and if I recall correctly it was $30 per head. Worth it? This was one of the finest meals we have ever had in our lives. We have been to many fine restaurants in and around London where we live and around the world whilst on holiday.

I can say that the meal in Oceanliners that we had was at least as good as any restaurant costing $300-500 a couple in the UK.

As I say having not experienced the Pinnacle but only reviews it would appear to me that I will be more likely to opt for the dining room, than, as it seems, the Pinnacle is not worth $60 more a couple than the dining room.

Anyway you never know if I see a menu one evening that doesn't particularly appeal to us we may try it out - if there are any tables free and by looks of things @ $30 a head it shouldn't be too much of a problem to get a reservation.

WE ate twice on the Connie in Oceanliners, but I certainly wouldn't rate it anywhere near what you did. Of course food is subjective: the service was outstanding but the food wasn't as good as we have had on some land vacations. Would we do it again for $30 plus tip no< $30 including tip, probably once per cruise. I too have heard praises for Oceanliners, but don't think I have ever heard anyone rate it in the same class as $500. Of course UK prices are a bit high compared to what we are accustom to paying, mostly because of the exchange rate. NMNita

Rather than moaning here, I'd suggest that everyone vote with their feet. After all, it's not as if you'll go hungry if you don't go to the PG.

Still, I don't understand the motivation - it's not as if it's difficult to get a PG reservation, the place seems to be half empty every night.

And the menu is getting tiresome. Even MacDonald's changes their menu more often!

On our recent 16-day Prinsendam cruise, the dining room was so good that we didn't go to the PG even once (although I did use their wine list most nights). We probably won't again until there's something fresh and new...

dakrewser --

Ordering wine off the Pinnacle wine list when dining in the main dining room sounds like an excellent idea.

Did you pre-order your wine? Or did you order from the regular dining room wine steward? If the latter, does he carry the Pinnacle list around with him?

Thanks for your help.

WE ate twice on the Connie in Oceanliners, but I certainly wouldn't rate it anywhere near what you did.

Nita - The food in my opinion, certainly when we ate, in Oceanliners was of the quality of Michel Roux's world famous restaurant ' The Waterside Inn' at Bray a few miles outside London. The Waterside Inn is rated as not only one of the finest restaurants in the UK but in the world and the food in Oceanliners was of similar quality and presentation by his own trained chefs, a comparable meal with no alcohol for two at the Waterside Inn would cost $350-400 for two.

As you quite rightly state food is subjective, which is fortunate as otherwise restaurants would be very boring if we all liked the same.

We too ate at Ocean Liners on Celebrity Constellation, a few years back. It remains the best dining experience either of us has ever had. The food was amazing (salad and then Goat Cheese Soufflé to start, a steak finished, spiced and sauced to perfection right in front of you and then Chocolate Soufflé for dessert that was to die for). The service, presentation and quality were amazing. It was like theatre instead of just dining.

Our experience in the Pinnacle on the Zuiderdam though was what I'd call pretty standard (Keg-like) for a finer restaurant so definately nothing special and didn't come anywhere close to Celebrity.

$80 bucks for 2 will price us out of going to the Pinnacle. If we were on a Celebrity ship, I'd be happy to pay it (price was $25 3 years ago) but if I pay for all-inclusive, I'm not willing to pay for just standard dining in a specialty restaurant at $30 a piece + tip.

This news is really going to make me appreciate our upcoming Crystal cruise where the alternative restaurant is still free.

Sage.... Please correct me if I am wrong but I imagine you paid a higher fare on Crystal than you would have on HAL. For more money, it is possible to include more

We all know that nothing we get on any ship is free......it's a question of what is included in our fare on one cruise line vs another, isn't it? And how much we paid to begin with?

I just spoke to Ship's Services and placed an order for my upcoming 10/29 Westerdam sailing, including a couple of Pinnacle reservations. I was informed that, for now, all reservations being accepted are at the $20 rate, up until Oct. 1, when the reservations will change to $30 pp. So, if you have a cruise booked, it might be a good idea to call and pay for a reservation before Oct. 1, if you wish to "beat" the price increase. Of course, we all know that HAL could change its mind and use "cruise date" vs. "order date" at any time (although I wasn't told that!). I seriously doubt that they could increase the fee once it's been paid for in advance....

Hope this helps...

Paul

"Count me in; count me out"!

about what?

I'm so confused:confused:

this is optional; you do it or you don't

it's either worth the charge or it's not

same thing about a cruise: either you agree with price (going for the best price available is of course sensible) or not

really don't understand the problem:eek:

I've dined at Pinnacle a number of times

compared with home, the price charged was a fraction of what it would be "off the ship" for the same comparable meal (appetizers, entree, sides, dessert and coffee/espresso/capuccino

tipping?

doubt HAL will change its policy

doubt Pax will change either .. :(

also doubt Pinnacle will close

if you're spending "x" for the cruise, is the $20 extra going to change anything?

really don't think so

how bout suggesting HAL go to $25.00?

maybe they'll be less controversy about $10/per couple than $20

sorry

just can't understand why something optional can cause so much discussion:)

I'm finding it interesting reading this thread and thinking back to when HAL first introduced Pinnacles (on Zuiderdam) and we learned it would be an additional charge.

Everyone was carrying on about how Odyssey and Marco Polo had been no extra charge and they wouldn't pay extra and, indeed, some people stuck to their word and refused to pay Pinnacle Grill charge of $20.00 per person. BUT, many (a great many) of us have paid the charge.......repeatedly. Some of us were convinced it wouldn't be worth it but we found it was and now for some of us, our cruise is not complete (in our opinion) until we have dined in Pinnacle....at least once. Some of us go more than once.

So, my guess is........Yes, we'll moan and groan and complain..... and then many of us will 'suck it up' and make our reservations.

I am happy to hear there will be menu changes and specials daily. That will make a big difference IMO. I have tired a little of the same menu over and over so they are going to be charging us more but it appears they will be providing us more.

Let's give it a chance. Anyone who doesn't want to pay extra, of course, simply doesn't go to Pinnacle......same as now. No change in that regard.

No one HAS to leave the very fine dining room. Many of us comment regularly on this board that we have consistendly seen an improvement in the dining room and most of us are very satisfied with our dinners there. No need to pay anything extra if you don't want to.

IMPORTANT!!

Just got off the phone with Ship Services. You can pre-order your PG dinning with Ship Services prior to Oct 1 they will still honor the $20PP.

You can pre-order as many nights as you want and if you decide to cancel during the cruise, you get the money back on your on-board account. Hope this helps.:D

I am with you Sea King.

Most people have a financial investment in something. Most people want to see a healthy return on their financial investment. The way this happens is for a company to be profitable. When they are, we usually get a better return on our investment, in said company. Then we can afford to cruise and if we choose, eat in the Pinnacle. This is the circle of life, as we know it.

WOW, I just got thru reading this thread. A lot was happening here while I was getting ready for work, driving to work and attending meetings:D I really cannot add much more than what has been said other than if they do change the menu, have some different items it may be worth a try. We have been on a few cruises where we just did not even go to the Pinnacle and there were other times when we went two times in the week. Personally I am on the wait and see for this. I can see where the price would bother some frankly it does not bother me if there will be some change in the menu. It was only a matter of time before they raised the price. We talk about the tip in the Pinnacle while we always tip I would venture to guess the majority DO NOT tip in the Pinnacle and that this and along with wanting to vary the menu could be the reason for the cost increase.

In the overall scheme of things, a $10 difference in a meal price vs. what I've paid for my vacation cruise, isn't a lot. I know each person looks at pricing differently, and certainly their reasonings are as valid as mine! :)

If I wish to dine in the Pinnacle Grill, I will. It's my vacation, and if I wish to "treat myself" (as I will undoubtedly do each day in any number of ways :D ), then it's the price I'll pay for my "treat"! ;)

Everyone sees their own financial situation differently; and each chooses their priorities. And I agree with Sail: some will choose not to dine there, and others will continue to. Personally, I'm just glad we have the alternative to choose....

Edit:

By the way, how long has the Pinnacle been available on HAL?

JMO,

Paul

Pinnacle first appeared on Zuiderdam when she joined the fleet. That was either the very end of 2002 or very early 2003.

Thanks, Sail. I was just curious to see how long the $20 charge has been "current". As suggested, it's not surprising to see an increase (as everything else increases!), after 3 years....

Thanks again!

Paul

So, I am guessing for the majority of cruisers the xtra 10.00 p/p isn't going to break us. It is just the whole principal of the matter. It irritates me alot but I am guessing we will still go just because here in small town Iowa the best thing on the menu is the cow we just butchered and the sweet corn we just picked. So, yeah for us it is just the experience of trying someith new. We generally are "resort rats" and do the all-inclusive options and get so sick of the food after about day 4 I am hoping this will be a bit different.

Also, how smart is Hal.....think about what they have done...raised the price enough that maybe not as many people will go thus meaning less employees in the Pinnacle will be need but yet same amount of money coming in due to rate increase. So even if their numbers are down they will still come out ahead...just my 2cents worth..

Archived