Wedding Gown for Vow Renewal-Tacky?

mjbelen

I'm a bit late but I vote yes! I agree with the statements that recommend age appropriate attire, etc. But of course that goes with all clothes for all ages :) . What it comes down to is that you feel like a princess and feel good about yourself. The majority of responses was that we think it would be great to see someone renewing their vows in a real wedding dress on a cruise, so that is probably what most people will think on yours.

If you are comfortable with it, let us know the style number of the dress you get so we can look it up if you get it at David's Bridal. If another store then a picture. Congratulations on celebrating your 30th anniversary! My husband and I will be celebrating our 4th anniversary on our Alaskan cruise in September. It's actually our belated honeymoon :) .

Lydia

I hope you find the dress that makes you feel like a Bride all over again, whether it is an actual "wedding gown" or a similar formal style dress. It sounds like we are about the same age, when DH & I celebrated our 25th anniversary we did the vow renewal as well. We held the party at a local community center and went all out, it was the "wedding" I never had either, with the DJ, the caterer's, the whole 9 yards. I found a beautiful tea length lace dress in a cream color that was perfect. Dh actually wore the same suit he wore when we got married, guess it's true, if you keep clothes long enough they really DO come back in style. Our family & friends still talk about what a great party it was & that was 7 years ago, hope the same will be true for you, years down the road!

Go for it! I think it would be cool. And go with what you feel beautiful in, not what is age appropriate. I am constantly trying to get my mom to dress less like a grandma (not that all grandmas dress matronly...). I think age is a state of mind... :) I'm forever 21!

Natalie

I went to a wedding a few years ago in which the bride and groom were both widowed and were 50-somethings. The bride wore a long cream-colored wedding gown with a full train and a veil -- it would have been perfect for a 20-something. To tell the truth, it was . . . unexpected . . . a bit odd for her body shape. Of course, no one would have said a thing to her -- and she had every right to wear what suited her on her day.

Having said that, I think that if I were in your shoes and wanted a gown, I would choose a VERY SIMPLE gown in cream or some other pastel. With everything in our society moving toward ultra-casual, I think avoiding trains and veils would be easy enough.

• 8 years later...

I don't know if anyone will read this... years later after the original post, but I wore a wedding gown from David's Bridal when I was 52 (my third wedding). My husband-to-be really wanted it, so what the heck. And, everyone was cool with it. Here's what I wore: http://boomerinas.com/2011/12/wedding-dresses-for-older-brides-boomers-over-40/

As a woman who was lucky enough to have my hubby ask me to renew our vows for our 30th anniversary (5 years ago), I SAY GO FOR IT!!!:D

I was in the opposite position from you. I wore the dress and had the big church wedding. What we wanted was something more casual and more us. So for the renewal I wore a long, casual, halter dress. We loved every minute of both weddings!

Wear what you feel great in and enjoy your day. Wishing you the best for another 30 years!!!!!

Edited by jkudzu

Wow, you're resurrecting an almost nine-year-old post?

No kidding!

I read part of this thread out of curiosity, because I saw that I had responded to it yet had no recollection.

The funny thing is, my above mentioned friend broke up with the fiancée, he turned out to be a total jerk after a couple years. She got married to a wonderful, perfect guy for her 2 years ago and they both wore shorts to the extremely casual outdoor wedding.

I watch those "Say Yes to the Dress" shows and can't believe how many young women think they have to have a perfect dress to make it a perfect day. Some of the happiest couples I know didn't spend a fortune, nor had ridiculous minute details fussed over to have the greatest weddings. The joy of making a commitment to you partner should be the most important detail of the day.

To anyone asking the same question today,,,,,,,,,,

IMO, With all the lousy things we hear about almost daily, a couple renewing their vows at 30 years is GOOD news and if you wish to wear a wedding gown, GO for it!!! Wear what you like. You've earned it. :)

Congratulations and have a wonderful Renewal. Make some more great memories.

Edited by sail7seas

Ok-I asked this question on the wedding boards, but now realize that I need to ask the real experts. My husband and I are planning to renew our vows for our 30th Wedding Anniversary on the Radiance. My husband plans to wear a tux. I did not wear a wedding gown when we were married and I have always regretted it. :( I want to wear a wedding gown for the service, but since I am just over 50, I don't know if this would be appropriate. I would attempt to find a simple gown with little or no train.

Am I fooling myself. Did I miss my one shot at this? Will most of the woman and some of the men point at me and giggle. If anything, this would highly motivate me to go back on my diet. I'd really like some honest answers.

Thanks.

wear one! although it was our 5th anniversary, i wore a wedding dress for our our vow renewal and celebration. we returned to the site of our destintion wedding. i found an inexpensive, tea length, form fitting wedding dress and never felt silly. i say go for it.

edit: ha! i didn't notice the date either, just an interesting topic. and i could only imagine that it is still relevant today. who cares if it's old?

i'm sure someone has a smiliar question. on my cruise in december there was one wedding with a couple appearing to be in their 50's and several vow renewals.

Edited by sjmbruce

• 1 year later...

I (or should I say We) are renewing our wedding vows for our Silver Anniversary on the Oceana in July. I deliberated over what to wear since although I wore the long ivory gown and train for our wedding I find light colors and white make me look pasty, so I have purchased a couple of gowns, a knee length light gold colored dress in a lacy fabric, and a long length gown in a grey silky material both of which will be suitable for formal dining. I did however purchase a small tiara with Swaroski crystals for a bit of fun (I may be fifty but I think bling is appropriate for the occasion) and splashed out on some lovely sparkly sandals and clutch bag which go with both dresses. I still don't know which I will wear on the day :). Also I bought them 2 sizes to small and am busy dieting my way into them and it's going well, a good incentive.

Hope the original poster had a good day and wore the dress of her dreams.

• 2 weeks later...
I vote for the wedding dress. This is your one and only life -- do what makes you happy. You deserve the opportunity to wear a wedding dress. Don't deny yourself this simple wish. Obviously the first time around you regretted the decision not to wear a wedding gown. Don't make that mistake again!!! Let's face it, white isn't about being a virgin anymore. If it were, oh my, there would be very few white wedding gowns. Grab a girlfriend/sister/daughter and hit the bridal shops. Find the dress of your dreams -- don't get what anyone "thinks" is "appropriate" for you. Buy the dress you fall in love with to renew your vows with the man you fell in love with. No one will be laughing, I promise you. Everyone loves a wedding and everyone loves a bride no matter what age. And everyone loves to see a couple in love. GO FOR IT! :)

P.S. Don't forget to post pictures when you get back!!! :D

What she said. I totally agree 100%! You only live once!:D

Dang...I did it again! I didn't read all the posts or check the date on the first one! LOL!:o

Edited by mousey
Because I didn't check the date of the original post, duh!

I was reading this thread myself and laughed when I saw my own response (no recollection). For myself, I know what prompted my original response - a VERY SMALL wedding with a sad bouquet of flowers for my wedding (big miscommunication with the florist). Now I'm getting close to 25 yrs and wonder if my DH would be so romantic as to ask me to renew our vows in a couple of years.

If so, I could imagine myself wearing something like I wore the first time, tea length with a lace bodice and sleeves - but the more important thing for me would be a lovely bouquet. Ok and maybe a new BIGGER RING - LOL!!!!! Now I'm actually envisioning a renewal in Hawaii with a MONSTER BOUQUET of Star Gazer lilies or a barefoot ceremony on the beach with Hawaiian Leis. Thanks Triplalot for reminding me of what a romantic I used to be - just in time for Valentines Day too!

Oh - by the way - guess I still stand by my original response - do what you want and have fun - congratulations.

Happy Sailing Everyone!

Tammy

Edited by sprinkles

Sprinkles go for it, your plans sound great, maybe time to drop some subtle hints to your husband :) We will be exchanging new rings however only because I developed an allergy to my original one which I love, my new ring is lovely though!

We renewed on a beach in Bora Bora. I wore a white linen sleeveless Tommy Bahama dress, he wore a white linen guayabera and light tan linen slacks. He wore a lei, I wore a matching hei (crown of flowers).

It was incredibly romantic, easy to pack (had it all pressed on the ship), and completely matched the scenery. At 50-something, I would feel silly in a traditional white formal bridal gown.