Our 34 Day Transcanal And Amazon River - Veendam

Aussie Gal

We have just returned home from our wonderful 34 day cruise on the Veendam. We were blessed with the most beautiful weather for the entire 34 days. Blue skies and the calmest of seas, in fact at times I was wishing we could have some "rock and roll" just so that we could feel we were at sea.

The Veendam is a lovely ship and the Captain – Albert Schoonderbeek – has a great personality. He always gave us so much great information each day, much more than he needed to and we all looked forward to his 1pm update. The Hotel Manager was Brian McNeill and the Dining Room Manager was Andre Mamangkey. Our Cruise Director was Thom Faulkiner who is the husband of Tina, the Cruise Consultant.

We had a great cabin steward and our table waiters were also excellent. The chef was Thomas Schumann and he certainly did a good job with his varied menus each night. The food overall was excellent though of course, some nights were more outstanding than others. It would be a very hard task to work out a different menu for the 34 nights and I think Thomas and his staff are to be complimented for a job well done. We also had the Dutch night and the special Master Chef's dinner.

The entertainment was varied with entertainers from Great Britain and the U.S. There were only two production shows by the cast which was a pity. Apparently the dancers only know the two numbers which seems to be a waste of talent.

The improvements are a big plus. Our bed was to die for and the flat screen TV and the DVD are a bonus. We also loved the new Exploration Café and felt that area of the ship has been opened up and is very comfortable both for reading, playing games, having a coffee and of course the internet café.

We had one dinner at the Pinnacle Grill. We enjoyed the meal and had the crabcakes the fillet mignon and the crème brulee. We had eaten a great fillet mignon about five days earlier in the dining room so really felt that the meal wasn’t any better that what we had been eating. Also for a dining room that is so intimate, the meal came far too quickly and we were out within the hour. That is not what we expect in a good restaurant here at home. We do like to take our time over a meal. I am glad we experienced the dinner but would not be rushing to go again.

We had a good Roll Call and ended up meeting four times. The first two were the usual get together just to put names to faces or vice versa and then we had two gatherings where each couple brought a bottle of wine and the ship provided glasses and lovely nibbles. We had one event in the Hudson Room and the last one was up in the Crow’s Nest which was great.

Most of the passengers were seasoned travellers and the average age was around 75-90 years. In fact we felt quite young and we are in our mid sixties. There were 16 nations represented amongst the passengers and there were over 500 Canadians on board, they being in the majority.

We had 6 formal nights, 4 informal and the rest were casual. We did see a big variance in the dress especially on formal nights. Quite a few didn't follow the dress code on those nights which was a pity.

It was a wonderful cruise and we saw so many different cultures and had some great experiences. We had a lot of fun onboard including the crossing of the Equator etc. and have brought back home fantastic memories of a very special cruise experience.

Sorry for the length of this report. If you have any questions, fire away. I will post later on about the ports.

Jennie

Welcome Home Jennie and Peter:)

Actually your review is short compaired to the length of the cruise. I so wish we could have stayed on for the whole cruise. What was funny many thought we were staying on the full 34 days like Tina the Cruise Consultant and our Cabin Steward. The first 4 days had all the makings of a perfect cruise. I am so glad it went so well.

Lisa,

It was great to meet you and Tom. I am sure you would have loved the cruise. I notice you were asking about Apapulco. We did a private tour there which included the markets, out to the lovely Fairmont Hotel, then to the Chapel of Peace, finishing with the Cliff Divers at lunchtime. It was a good tour and cost us $40p.p.

Jennie

WELCOME Back Home to Australia

So very happy for your boths safe, healthy and happy return!

You convey so much so very well!

Just one word you said is the most important of any said.

Which is ((memories))

Cheers!:cool:

Three Thuimbs UP

^!^!^!

We have just returned home from our wonderful 34 day cruise on the Veendam. We were blessed with the most beautiful weather for the entire 34 days. Blue skies and the calmest of seas, in fact at times I was wishing we could have some "rock and roll" just so that we could feel we were at sea.

The Veendam is a lovely ship and the Captain – Albert Schoonderbeek – has a great personality. He always gave us so much great information each day, much more than he needed to and we all looked forward to his 1pm update. The Hotel Manager was Brian McNeill and the Dining Room Manager was Andre Mamangkey. Our Cruise Director was Thom Faulkiner who is the husband of Tina, the Cruise Consultant.

We had a great cabin steward and our table waiters were also excellent. The chef was Thomas Schumann and he certainly did a good job with his varied menus each night. The food overall was excellent though of course, some nights were more outstanding than others. It would be a very hard task to work out a different menu for the 34 nights and I think Thomas and his staff are to be complimented for a job well done. We also had the Dutch night and the special Master Chef's dinner.

The entertainment was varied with entertainers from Great Britain and the U.S. There were only two production shows by the cast which was a pity. Apparently the dancers only know the two numbers which seems to be a waste of talent.

The improvements are a big plus. Our bed was to die for and the flat screen TV and the DVD are a bonus. We also loved the new Exploration Café and felt that area of the ship has been opened up and is very comfortable both for reading, playing games, having a coffee and of course the internet café.

We had one dinner at the Pinnacle Grill. We enjoyed the meal and had the crabcakes the fillet mignon and the crème brulee. We had eaten a great fillet mignon about five days earlier in the dining room so really felt that the meal wasn’t any better that what we had been eating. Also for a dining room that is so intimate, the meal came far too quickly and we were out within the hour. That is not what we expect in a good restaurant here at home. We do like to take our time over a meal. I am glad we experienced the dinner but would not be rushing to go again.

We had a good Roll Call and ended up meeting four times. The first two were the usual get together just to put names to faces or vice versa and then we had two gatherings where each couple brought a bottle of wine and the ship provided glasses and lovely nibbles. We had one event in the Hudson Room and the last one was up in the Crow’s Nest which was great.

Most of the passengers were seasoned travellers and the average age was around 75-90 years. In fact we felt quite young and we are in our mid sixties. There were 16 nations represented amongst the passengers and there were over 500 Canadians on board, they being in the majority.

We had 6 formal nights, 4 informal and the rest were casual. We did see a big variance in the dress especially on formal nights. Quite a few didn't follow the dress code on those nights which was a pity.

It was a wonderful cruise and we saw so many different cultures and had some great experiences. We had a lot of fun onboard including the crossing of the Equator etc. and have brought back home fantastic memories of a very special cruise experience.

Sorry for the length of this report. If you have any questions, fire away. I will post later on about the ports.

Jennie

Jennie...great to hear from you and that your latest cruise was so good. I've thought of you and Peter off and on and wondered when you would be getting back.

Thanks for checking in.

Liz

Oh thank you for the lovely review, it sounds so wonderful.

Did you notice the music levels? or the hot hor's doevers? Those two topics of discussion still are a concern.

Surely hate to welcome you back to reality. But am very glad you had a good vacation. The mix of passengers is very interesting and mostly Canadian, wow.

Thanks again.

Welcome Back, Jennie. We've missed you.

Thanks for your review. Sounds like you had a wonderful time on that pretty ship.

I know the odds are small but when you mentioned the average age and that you and your DH were among the youngest.......did you happen to meet a couple your age named Lowell and Fran from Massachusetts? They were aboard and had a great time, also. Seeing as your ages are similar, I thought it possible you may have met.

Again, welcome back.

Welcome back, Jennie and Peter. :) Lately I've been wondering if you were home yet.

How was your trip post-cruise? I remember there were some concerns about flying times and making connections; did all go well?

Also, how was the entertainment in the ship's lounges? Do you have any info to share on who was playing where, and how you liked them?

So, when's the next cruise? :D

Welcome Home! I had been sorely tempted by this cruise.

Can you tell me the difference between the BB, BC Verandah Suites? There is a major difference in price and they seem to be right next to each other. Thanks.
Location, location, location. Cabins towards midships tend to ride smoother - thus cruiselines charge more, as they are more desirable (to some).

Thanks ]everyone for the great welcome back. (Karin, AA American, Lisa, Liz, Sail, Ruth) I will start posting my journal of our trip which will take a few instalments.

SailUnfortunately we did not meet your friends even though we did meet up with lots of lovely people.

Happy Cruiser

The hors'doeurves were just the usual 3 types (prawn, chicken and meatballs) which we don't partake. As it is, our weight has gone up and I am now trying to lose the extra pounds!!!

[u]Zptu/000[/u],

The only difference in the 4 types of B Verandah cabins - B, BA, BB and BC - is the position on the ship. If you tend to be sea sick or want a smoother ride, then take a B or a BA as they are in the centre of the ship. The BB and BC are at either end. We were in B178, a B cabin, centre and it was perfect for us as we were close to the aft staircase which led to the dining room and the lido etc. We spent a lot of time on our verandah on this cruise. It was the perfect cruise for a S, A or B suite.

Jennie

And I thought you used Dollars $AUD ... in Australia not pounds... *S* LOL

You look like .... :eek: by shaking the bed sheets you could fly away..~~~~

It must be nice to be skinny and young..

Thanks

Happy Cruiser

The hors'doeurves were just the usual 3 types (prawn, chicken and meatballs) which we don't partake. As it is, our weight has gone up and I am now trying to lose the extra pounds!!!

[u]Zptu/000[/u],

Jennie

Sounds like another wonderful cruise for you Jennie! Why don't you ever run into the problems that the "first time posters" experience?:rolleyes:

Perhaps she does, but after traveling the world she finds her glass half full rather than half empty!

Dave and lets go now,

I am a positive person and we perhaps have been lucky in that most times things do go smoothly for us. We do occasionally run into problems but none that are ever to big that cannot be fixed.

I know that being on a ship with over 1200 passengers, not everything can please everybody but it even if it didn't quite meet your expectations, it certainly beats being home and doing the cooking, housework etc.

Jennie

Was this the cruise that had Dick Holt as narrator while going through the Panama Canal? How did he do? DW and I are planning a cruise next year that Dick is going to be narrating.

Yes, he was with us for the whole cruise. He was fantastic the day we went through the canal. He started commentating around 7am and kept going right through the day until around 7pm. A marathon effort but it did make that day very special for all of us.

As he grew up in the area, he brought a very personal touch to the transit.

Jennie

• 2 months later...
THis is a wonderful report, from a wonderful cruiser, about a wonderful ship and cruise. Thank yo for being so kind to leave such great feedback.:)

Thanks so much for being so kind. I got a shock to see this right up in the forefront of the postings just now. I had forgotten that I had posted this way back in November.

It truly was a great cruise and has left both my DH and self with many happy memories.

Jennie

Archived