Disappointed with the Jewel

Usc90grad

However, I believe that NCL bought the hull from Costa and finished the ship.

I know that this is the case with the Pride of Aloha (Norwegian Sky), but I don't know that the Sun was bought this same way. Even though they are considered sister ships, I think the Sun might've been an NCL newbuild done at the same time as the Star.

Interesting thing was that the Sky was originally designed without any balcony cabins, & NCL did a redesign to have them.

-Monte

Interesting comment, Nita. I think the problem stems from the fact that, with the other lines, the specialty dining rooms are meant to be the exception, rather than the rule. Unless I'm mistaken, they don't have nearly the variety that NCL does on their newer ships. The passengers on the other lines continue to eat the majority of their meals in the main dining rooms, with a once or twice a cruise visit to a specialty dining area.

It appeared on the Jewel last week that many NCL cruisers are eating primarily in the specialty dining rooms and bypassing the main dining rooms altogether. Therefore, the passenger who is interested in eating primarily in the main dining room but would like to try one of the specialty restaurants without having to make that decision early in the week is out of luck as the specialty restaurants are totally full.

I really think something along the lines of Monte's suggestion would be the best way to go. Maybe you can book one specialty restaurant in advance of your sailing, but only have that one, or possibly two reservations open at any time.

uneamie is right. The old reservation system was you could only book a rsvn in the spec. a day in advance or the day of unless you were in a suite which allowed you to book a whole wk's worth at once.

Pax complained so much about it that NCL opened the whole thing up to everyone and now it seems to have bitten them in the foot.

Stephen, the Dawn also has a soaring atrium as does the Spirit.:D

Hopefully a lot of this food discussion will be less of a problem once the new menus are all in place. I'll be posting my views after the Pearl TA early Dec.

I am glad I read this thread. I did not know about the new rules (or even if they were new)!

Do cruisers really know their schedule a week in advance to make a reservation? I like the daily reservation system...you read the freestyle daily the night before, plan the day, then call the morning of for alternative restaurant.

Does the Jewel have the boards outside the restaurants like the Spirit does...allows you see what is available and when?

Coka

I guess my problem was that I was comparing the Jewel to the Sky, which I sailed on 3 times. I just assumed since the Jewel was newer that it would be 10 times better.

I love the freestyle cruising concept, but not being able to make a reservation at ANY of the speciality restraurants by Tuesday for the entire week was absurb. I agree a limit to the number of reservations you can make would be a great idea.

I checked on Wednesday and was able to make a reservation for a few restaurants. You may not have gotten your desired time, but they were still available. A few in my group booked Tangos and Cagney's was available most nights at 9:30.

My first and second cruise was on the Sky, I did love her. Though, my favorite ship now, by far is the Jewel. She is so well laid out, the theatre has awesome sight lines from any seat. She is very easy to navigate and just overall bright and cheery!

I checked on Wednesday and was able to make a reservation for a few restaurants. You may not have gotten your desired time, but they were still available. A few in my group booked Tangos and Cagney's was available most nights at 9:30.

The problem with that is if the only options that are left are 9:30 or later anyone who goes to bed around 9 or 10 ish wont ever be able to try out these specailty resturants if they didnt know before hand to make all reservations the first day on board. I am going on a cruise with my mom and my mom always goes to bed at 10, just for a good exmple, so we wont have the option of taking what few slots that are open around 9ish. They need to make it so that most people have a chance at trying specialty resturants not to the few who book up for the whole week and dont let anyone else get to go to one of these resturants. I am very worried at not getting to try these places sence our plane arrives late that day and (yes I know we are suppose to come in a day ahead time but the ship is there at the port tell the next day so we went with cheapest tickets we could find, etc.)

The problem with that is if the only options that are left are 9:30 or later anyone who goes to bed around 9 or 10 ish wont ever be able to try out these specailty resturants if they didnt know before hand to make all reservations the first day on board. I am going on a cruise with my mom and my mom always goes to bed at 10, just for a good exmple, so we wont have the option of taking what few slots that are open around 9ish. They need to make it so that most people have a chance at trying specialty resturants not to the few who book up for the whole week and dont let anyone else get to go to one of these resturants. I am very worried at not getting to try these places sence our plane arrives late that day and (yes I know we are suppose to come in a day ahead time but the ship is there at the port tell the next day so we went with cheapest tickets we could find, etc.)

I believe a lot of the problems with speciality reservations depends on what time of year you are cruising.

Last week was a busy cruising week for families so I would not base reservation times on that.

Have a wonderful cruise:)

Then stick with Princess. Please.

Don't worry - I have that one covered - as I am in the process of booking two more cruises next year with Princess.

BTW were you on the Jewel last week? I love how people defend something that they never experienced.

Gee Wiz. The OP complained about no atrium, small pool area, no climbing wall, no putt-putt, small dining rooms, and the new speciality restaurant reservation policy. All of these items have been discussed many times before at this forum. Please read the forum, there is a large wealth of information here.

Beef is beef, sirloin, ribeye, roast, hamburger, or filet. Sirloin is offered every night. It is beef. Of course, I prefer to mix my meats, I love fish, chicken, pork, beef, and have started to enjoy lamb on cruise ships. Meat in my opinion is meat.

When I was young I ate cheeseburgers for lunch every day. Now, I'm so tired of chesseburgers, I haven't eaten a cheeseburger in years, nor do I plan to anytime in the future. It would be a very boring experience to eat the same menu every day, even if that same dish was a filet.

When I was a POW in Vietnam, I ate rice for every meal, two years worth. Everyone in my family knows not to cook rice for me, as I have not eaten it since.

But I will agree, NCL should limit the number of first day bookings to two nights for the week. That way, more cruisers not in the know will be able to book speciality restaurants at a better time during the cruise. I don't think its fair for anyone to book every night the first day.

When I was a POW in Vietnam, I ate rice for every meal, two years worth. Everyone in my family knows not to cook rice for me, as I have not eaten it since.

Off topic here (sorry folks).

Don, I had no idea you were a POW in Nam. Even though I wasn't aware & Veterans Day is now past, I want to thank you for your service. With your experiences I'm sure you've gone through more hell than most of us can even begin to realize.

You put some of our "cruising problems" into perspective, (as has the member of our group -bankofdad- who recently lost his son in Iraq). The rest of us know who the heros are!

-Monte

People from MN come to Branson in the winter and wear shorts and T-shirts while we are in parkas. NO in March should be like summer for you all.:cool: :D

NO might not feel like summer for me, I was raised in the south! And, my DH loves hot weather. We really are living in the wrong climate for our tastes.:(

I know that this is the case with the Pride of Aloha (Norwegian Sky), but I don't know that the Sun was bought this same way. Even though they are considered sister ships, I think the Sun might've been an NCL newbuild done at the same time as the Star.

Interesting thing was that the Sky was originally designed without any balcony cabins, & NCL did a redesign to have them.

-Monte

the Sun was also bought from Costa, but at a little different stage of being built. it did come out almost exactly the same time as the Star.

the Sun was also bought from Costa, but at a little different stage of being built. it did come out almost exactly the same time as the Star.

Thanks nita for the info on the Sun build. I had checked the web and couldn't come up with any confirmation, only that they were 2 years apart. BTW-You can change from almost. It was a dual christening with the Sun & Star. Only time it's ever been done, but I understand another line (Princess??) is planning a dual of their own.

-Monte

Interesting comment, Nita. I think the problem stems from the fact that, with the other lines, the specialty dining rooms are meant to be the exception, rather than the rule. Unless I'm mistaken, they don't have nearly the variety that NCL does on their newer ships. The passengers on the other lines continue to eat the majority of their meals in the main dining rooms, with a once or twice a cruise visit to a specialty dining area.

It appeared on the Jewel last week that many NCL cruisers are eating primarily in the specialty dining rooms and bypassing the main dining rooms altogether. Therefore, the passenger who is interested in eating primarily in the main dining room but would like to try one of the specialty restaurants without having to make that decision early in the week is out of luck as the specialty restaurants are totally full.

I really think something along the lines of Monte's suggestion would be the best way to go. Maybe you can book one specialty restaurant in advance of your sailing, but only have that one, or possibly two reservations open at any time.

You are right I think about the differences in NCL versus those restaurants that only offer 1 or 2 at most alternative dining options. As for booking in advance, I really don't think I would want to book on line prior to even sailing. When we were on the Sun last spring I think many of the cruisers were using the dining over the specialty restaurants but it was the week after Easter and the ship was filled with families. When we were on the Jewel almost everyone we met (mainly our CC group) were splitting it up between the two. That is what we usually do. I am trying to adjust to the thought of sailing HAL in a couple of weeks, knowing with the exception of one night and maybe one night at the buffet we will be eating all those meals at the same table, with the same people and the same wait staff. I am sure it will be fine. NMnita

I am glad I read this thread. I did not know about the new rules (or even if they were new)!

Do cruisers really know their schedule a week in advance to make a reservation? I like the daily reservation system...you read the freestyle daily the night before, plan the day, then call the morning of for alternative restaurant.

Does the Jewel have the boards outside the restaurants like the Spirit does...allows you see what is available and when?

Coka

Coka, yes they have the boards and it is a great added feature although not always acurate. As for planning your week in advance, to us, it isn't a big issue as we feel eating around 6:30 to 7pm will always work out or we can choose to eat at 9pm after going to the tapa bar or something like that. We usually settle in after having lunch, the first day, we wander down to the reception area, glance at the menus for the week and decide which night or nights we want to do the specialty dining rooms. It always seems to work out just fine. NMnita

Here's some photos of these three sister ships below. NCL kept adding suites and balcony cabins to the original Costa design. NCL also had an option to build a third ship of their own to this class with Lloyd Werft, but the option expired during 2005. If Star Cruise hadn't bought NCL out, it's likely NCL would have built it's third ship of this class, and Star Cruises would still have the Spirit (Superstar Leo), Star (Superstar Libra) and Dawn (Superstar Scorpio).

Which brings up this question, what would have NCL bought instead if it didn't have access to the Star and Dawn, and the continuation of this class with the Jewel, Pride of Hawaii, Pearl, and Gem?

Costa Victoria

CostaVictoria.jpg

Pride of Aloha

ships_575x219_aloha.jpg

Norwegain Sun

ships_575x219_sun2.jpg

Here's some photos of these three sister ships below. NCL kept adding suites and balcony cabins to the original Costa design. NCL also had an option to build a third ship of their own to this class with Lloyd Werft, but the option expired during 2005. If Star Cruise hadn't bought NCL out, it's likely NCL would have built it's third ship of this class, and Star Cruises would still have the Spirit (Superstar Leo), Star (Superstar Libra) and Dawn (Superstar Scorpio).

Which brings up this question, what would have NCL bought instead if it didn't have access to the Star and Dawn, and the continuation of this class with the Jewel, Pride of Hawaii, Pearl, and Gem?

Costa Victoria

CostaVictoria.jpg

Pride of Aloha

ships_575x219_aloha.jpg

Norwegain Sun

ships_575x219_sun2.jpg

Interesting to say the least. As for the Sun and Star chrisianing I knew they were very close, but didn't realize it was a duel deal. How's thta? Duel/deal? NMnita

Interesting to say the least. As for the Sun and Star chrisianing I knew they were very close, but didn't realize it was a duel deal. How's that? Duel/deal? NMnita

NCL used to have photos of the dual christening on its web site. Let's see if I can find them. Here they are, at the UK NCL web site, you'll have to click on the link on the upper right side from this link.

http://www.uk.ncl.com/fleet/09/sun.htm#

Here's one of the NCL photos.

sunstar15.jpg

At least the two NCL ships were closer in size than Princess two ships.

Norwegian Star 92,000 gross tons and Norwegain Sun 78,000 gross tons. Total 170,000 gross tons.

Emerald Princess at 113,000 gross tons and Royal Princess 30,000 gross tons. Total 143,000 gross tons.

In a historic first for Princess Cruises, the 3,100-passenger Emerald Princess and 710-passenger Royal Princess will formally join the fleet in an unprecedented dual christening ceremony, set against the brilliant blue waters of the Greek island of Santorini. The simultaneous namings will take place on May 12, 2007 and will be the first double ship launch for Princess. The 113,000-ton Emerald Princess will be a sister ship to the new Crown Princess. The Royal Princess joins the fleet on April 19, 2007 after a drydock. The 30,000-ton ship originally entered service in 2001 as a Renaissance vessel (named R8) and is currently cruising as Swan Hellenic's Minerva II.

I was looking for info about the dual christening as well. Most of what I kept bumping into was from TA sites, so I didn't want to list any of them but---I found this at Wikipedia.

"Shortly before the delivery of Norwegian Sky, NCL signed a letter of intent with Lloyd Werft Shipyard for two additional ships of this type. The first option became Norwegian Sun, but the option for the second ship was never exercised."

It's not a big deal, but it does make me wonder if the Sun was purchased as an incomplete hull after all.

-Monte

I was looking for info about the dual christening as well. Most of what I kept bumping into was from TA sites, so I didn't want to list any of them but---I found this at Wikipedia.

"Shortly before the delivery of Norwegian Sky, NCL signed a letter of intent with Lloyd Werft Shipyard for two additional ships of this type. The first option became Norwegian Sun, but the option for the second ship was never exercised."

It's not a big deal, but it does make me wonder if the Sun was purchased as an incomplete hull after all.

-Monte

I'm not sure about the Norwegain Sun. I believe the materials had already been contracted for by the Wismar Aker shipyard for the Sun, where it was partially built, but completion of the Sun was done at Lloydwerft just like the Sky. Lloydwerft at the time, and it might still be true today, doesn't have the capability to laser cut steel with digital controls. But it can weld the steel plates together. Check out Lloydwerft's web site for photos on the Sky and Sun assembly. Here's the links and photos:

Sky

nor_sky_roh.jpg

nor_sky_kai.jpg

nor_sky_see.jpg

Sun http://www.lloydwerft.com/e/auftraege/abgeschlossen/nor_sun/fotos.htm

There's far more photos available of the Sun there there are of the Sky.

But it's funny to read how the people that sailed the w/o 11/5-11/12 all felt the same way as me.

All? Aside from the fact that I doubt you talked to everyone on the ship, you should scroll down the page and check out the threads that don't agree. Heck, a couple of the replies on this thread from people on that sailing really don't agree either (except for desire to have a different policy of spec dinner reservations).

-Monte

Archived