Fake designer handbag detection tips

For those of us that are not designer handbag connoisseurs, can anyone provide tips on how to determine whether your Louis, Dooney or Coach handbag is real or fake? I know the only surefire way is to buy it directly from the source - like the Dooney store or web site, etc., but when you are looking elsewhere and talking big bucks it gets kind of scary! Thanks!

If you find them selling from a kiosk on the street, in a store that sells items like t-shirts and island crafts, then you know they are fake. The only way to purchase the real thing is to purchase them at either the designer's real store or at a regular department store. Some of the fakes have become fairly good, but they are no way the real thing because of inferrior materials. I was shopping at the Galleria Mall and buying some makeup when the clerk said, "look at that fake Louis". She said a trained eye could spot them a mile away. I don't know how she could do that, but I guess if you know the real thing, it's easy to spot the fakes.

I worked in an up scale department store for 15 years selling D&B, Coach,and other designer handbags, and belive me, I can spot a fake from a mile away. But like the other poster said, buy from a reputable dealer or you may find you have been had.

Especially in the islands, there are people selling fakes on every street corner, and some are darn good imitations.

Karen

This was discussed on the Carnival board. Someone was actually looking for fake Louie Vittion and was wanting to know if they could get them in Cozumel.

Some else asked about Coach. I replied I saw the fake Louie's in costa Maya at the straw market and I would not have wanted the purses if they were given to me. I also told people that in old San Juan there is a Coach outlet with purse starting at $85. So those are real Coaches not fakes and at good prices.

I, personally am not a name snob but I do go for quality and as long as places like Riches Macy's carry Aigner and John Romain for around $100 and often less when they are put on clearance- I will never be sucked into paying $500 and more for a stupid purse which I will be sick of in 2 years time anyway. Granted those purses at Walmart, target , Fashion Bug, etc. are garbage. I want a purse to be leather and have a decent lining that won't tear up so I never buy those but if it is good quality and I can get one for around $100 why in the world would I spend $500? I would rather cruise more often.

yeah, probably not going to find a "real" bag at a random store other than a mall store. However it's rumored (urban legend, maybe) that sometimes real bags get mixed in with the fakes that are sold on Canal Street in NYC (fake bag heaven).

Some things to look for:

1. Know where the bag is supposed to be made. Prada is made in Italy not China, etc.

2. spelling. On the inside of Coach bags, there's usually a label with factoids about the bag - fakes never have the words spelled right inside

3. for LV bags, there's something about the way the L's and V's are imprinted on the bag - I'm not quite positive on the exact details, but I think the L's and V's on real bags don't overlap and are distinct but on fakes they overlap slightly.

4. price - obviously if you see a normally $700 bag for $20, well duh, fake.

Tips for Louis: The letters and the way they fall are the first dead give away. Also keep in mind that the symbol is LV anything other than that is fake. Also keep in mind that the Lock on the purse is also a giveaway for the people who know the purse. If there is no quality lock, then it is fake. You can also tell by the coloring and the feel of the material. Smell the purse also, if it smells like plastic, then it's fake.

Tips for Coach: Coach is a lot hard to detect, so you will have to know the key points to the purse. Like mine for instance has a dog leash zipper. I know when I see my purse that if it does not have that pull zipper than I know it is fake. Also the tag on the purse. You'll need to find out whether or not the tag is metal or leather for your purse. Mine is metal. There are also little things like the strap and buckles. Also keep in mind with any purse that you want to feel the material and look very closely at the symbols. I know a couple of people who thought they bought a really good replica until I pointed out that the symbol was a G and not a C.

All I can say is make sure to do your research and know the difference between a real purse and a fake one.

I can speak for the LV line, since DH purchased a handbag and wallet for me for our anniversary from the LV store in Boston. It has a serial number tab on the inside zippered section. The "lock" that accompanies all LV handbags has the LV on it and is a heavy lock, not a cheap tin one.

Gucci is the same. There is a number stamped on the interior zippered section.

Please be careful when you look at these numbers. The imitators are getting good - they are beginning to put LARGE numbers on the insides of their bags, too. But you will note that the number are also crooked and just too large.

D&B bags also have a register number inside the bag. Also if there is no registration card in the Dooney (you have to register them in case of needed service) you are probably looking at a fake.

Now, a good cheap fake it not necessarily a bad thing--it just depends on what you are looking for!

LV letters do overlap on real ones, but they are never in the seams. I was at the mall, and even the fake ones weren't in the seams, so they are getting better!

Watch for the made in China tags; watch for plastic zippers--real ones NEVER have plastic zippers.

Look for quality workmanship.

BUT from a designer bag junky, I am finding that the fakes are soo good these days, that they are fine w/ me--plus w/ 3 kids, not as much cash for personal fabulousness!

KK:o

Thanks for all of your responses. I do have several D&B bags and they all came with the registration cards. I bought 1 of them directly from D&B and the others from Bacons, which is now Dillards, so I don't have any fear about those. You can find some real bargains on dooney.com under the sale section. I got one All Weather Leather purse for $100, which was a steal for this particular purse. I have been looking for a LV bag but am leary. The only place I have seen that I know for sure has the real deal on the internet is eluxury.com, which is a link provided directly by the Louis Vuitton web site. I do know one tip about LV - on an authentic LV bag the letters on the back side should be upside down, not right side up, and as many of you said, never in the seams. I'm not too keen on Coach but wouldn't be totally opposed to owning one. I have also owned a couple of Aigner purses and really loved them, but haven't been able to find one that jumps out and says "buy me" lately. I am a purse and shoe junkie, so I suspect my quest will be never ending.

For a great LV resource, check mypoupette.com. The site is very well maintained and has excellent information on helping people avoid inadvertantly buying fakes online (mostly through bad ebay sellers). I found the information to be very informative and it's tough to get exactly what you're looking for sometimes, but rest assured it is VERY worth the search. Also for simple things, check the stamping of the serial number and check how the "Louis Vuitton, Made in Paris...etc) is stamped. I joke with one of my friends about her brand new bag stamped with 'Plouis Pluitton'. The stamping was a vague attempt at the real stuff. There are lots of good resources online, and you can always be sure that you are getting the right thing by going directly to the source, a knowledgeable store that deals with the designer bags, or even better, the brand's own store. (Try Coach.com or eluxury.com)

Keep in mind that Louis Vuitton DOES NOT produce wholesale and anyone who offers LV wholesale along with regular goods on their site is pushing a fake on you.

I just looked at my small pouchette in white with the multi-colored letters that I purchased from the LV store on Michigan Avenue in Chicago, and on one side of the bag the letters are right side up, but on the other side of the bag the LV's are upside down. That's because they used one piece of printed leather to make the entire bag. It's that way for all their round shapped bags, even the Papillon bags. Also, the LV's on the real bags do overlap. Some of the biggest fakes are the copies of the multi-colored Murakami bags. Those I saw on the islands are really bad fakes, but people were buying them like crazy.

Be careful when buying fakes in Asia, if you should cruise there. US Customs are cracking down on travelers coming into the US bringing fake anything. I saw one woman in big trouble at LAX when agents were going through her bags in a spot inspection and found the fake Chanel and LV bags she bought in Thailand. You can get fined for bringing in fake watches or handbags.

Darcie - yes, I agree! For kicks, I purchased a "knockoff" thinking what the heck. It's only $30 (in San Juan near the pier). Well, around the outside zippered area, the material actually started to fray! Surprised? Nope, I wasn't. The "leather" handles started to give way. So the purse got tossed because I couldn't imagine carrying around this dillapodated looking bag. :mad:

^ What kind of knockoffs do they have around the San Juan pier. Is this the pier where Adventure of the Seas docks? I really want a Coach bag but can't really shell out the $180 CAD + 15% tax. So if there are Coach knockoffs there, I can wait, if not I might have to spend some of my hard earned summer job money.

Coach outlets here in FL have great sales from time to time. I have gotten a large saddlebag for $80.00 and a large hobo for $90.00. Sign up at the outlet for their catalogue and you will get a 15% off coupon from time to time and along with super clearence tables and other discounts they offer you get really good buys. The only drawback to shopping the ouet though is they do NOT carry signature pieces.

• 1 month later...

Just had to put my 2 cents worth in. My favorite bags the past 2-3 yrs are Brighton. You can see them at brightonaccessorsries.com. They have great shoes and matching jewelry too. I even own the wheeled carry on and large cosmetic bag in the luggage line. Never fails that I get compliments when traveling with them.

I have a fake LV Tote that I bought on Canal Street in NY. It's amazing.. came with dust cover...the Lock is very heavy, printed correctly, serial number inside, fully lined in what you'd swear was suede. It's one of the best knockoffs I've seen. It was $28. I love it. Some you can pick out a mile away...but others..it's getting really tough.

Archived