HAL Key Card PLUS Photo ID????

NoNoNanette

But it is no longer valid. And a "valid" ID is what you need to have. Try showing that expired license to a trooper when he stops you on the freeway...
It would be the same as carrying an expired passport and trying to use it for an ID. Either one would work more than half the time to get you through port security and back on the ship, because most of the time they either don't look at it at all or only glance at it. It's the times that it gets checked and won't be accepted that will cause some real Excedrin moments.

Please don't flame me for this -- only reporting what happened -- On our October Volendam cruise the only port that seemed to make an issue out of having BOTH the ship card and a photo ID was ..... drumroll ..... our own St. Thomas, USVI. There was a security agent on the dock who was having a great time harassing any passengers who did not have a photo ID in addition to their ship card. Ultimately they were all allowed to board -- As we passed him he was busy harassing another couple from the ship -- we showed both cards and tried to sneak by, but he stopped us and put us on the spot and asked us if the ship did not remind us all in the morning to have both forms of ID if we wished to leave the ship -- a position I did not like being in at all.

Of course, there was that time on Half Moon Cay last year when I forgot my photo ID and was similarly harassed by the security people from HMC .... (a mistake I will not make again, thanks to the lecture I received from HMC security) --

As others have said -- if all else fails, just follow instructions

Why? It is obviously still a picture of me, it is obviously government-issued, and it is obviously not fraudulent. If it identified me a few weeks ago, why doesn't it identify me now? I'm not using it to rent a car or drive, for which it would be invalid.

A photocopy of a passport or driver's license is not recognized as valid in many foreign countries. You could find yourself very stranded this way. Especially off the beaten track. Many of the ports that have multitudes of ships visiting each day may be more lax, but if you get stranded (as in missing the ship) you are really out of luck with merely a photocopy.

We always take our passports, ship ID - and at least two different credit cards - DH carries a different one (issued from a different bank) than I - just in case either of our wallets get lifted. This way we have another card (or two) to use right away that doesn't need to be reported lost or stolen. We try and make sure they are ones where we can get immediate cash (if needed) and have fairly large credit lines (or no pre-set spending) just in case we need to purchase last minute air tickets, clothing, hotels, etc.

One thing so many people fail to do is note HAL's port agent information so if they do miss the ship, they have some assistance in getting back onboard. I always make a point to take the port information guide with me - it contains this information.

In Europe; even though most lines keep your passport for the duration of the cruise or until it is needed - we found one port where we all needed photo ID (no copies accepted) and since our daughter is only 13, she was the only one in our party who did not have a driver's license - I had a copy of her passport, but the agent in Dubrovnik said it was not acceptable. Unfortunately, this was not communicated to the pax until most had already proceeded to disembark, thus my daughter was not allowed ashore. We tried to get her passport from the front office, but the lines were ridiculously long due to the miscommunication.

We've taken our driver's licenses & ship IDs previously - since just a photo ID was necessary. But........with the new passport requirements in effect after the beginning of the year, some posters have stated very valid arguments for taking the little blue books with us.

My question - what do you do to protect your goodies when taking a day at the beach? We have cash, the IDs, a credit card or 2, camera, etc. When you want to take a dip in those lovely Caribbean waters, what do you do with your stuff? The only thing I can think of is to go one at a time & that's no fun. :p

In the old days when it was only the ship's card I would get a hole punched in it and wear it around my neck on a lanyard.

Then ... we had to add the photo ID -- in Illinois ours are a nice plastic -- do not, however, wish to punch a hole in my driver's license.

Then ... my DH has a pocket with a zipper in his swim trunks. We store our ID's, and some money in a zip lock sandwich bag and zip them into his pocket.

Then ... and here is where we lose it -- what will we do with those passports? Ultimately, using the above method, the ID's and money get a bit wet, but our US currency dries out very well and the ID's are not damaged. A passport would not fare well ... hmmm.

My question - what do you do to protect your goodies when taking a day at the beach? We have cash, the IDs, a credit card or 2, camera, etc. When you want to take a dip in those lovely Caribbean waters, what do you do with your stuff? The only thing I can think of is to go one at a time & that's no fun. :p

Susan - It's a good question and it can be tough.

I like to bring a nice size tote bag (and we will usually always bring more than one to confuse "would be" pick pockets); at the beach we put most all the valuables inside, protected from sand (the HAL ones work good for this) but sort of "bury" each in a small hole or indentation we've surruptiously dug in the sand. Then we usually find a way to cover it, with a towel, flip flops, clothing, lounger or something - but we always try to keep a close eye on our "spot" from the water too, as well as ask someone sitting close by to keep watch.

I like usually to just "get wet" and don't wander out too far (like Sonny does) and I can honestly say we've never had a problem, but I do know that could easily change.

I can't understand why anyone would not take their passport with them when going ashore on a cruise. Its my understanding you would always carry it with you when traveling any other place in the world. What makes a Caribbean cruise any different?

Though we've never been asked for it we've always carried additional ID when leaving the ship, usually in the form of our driver's license. Sounds like we're going to have to start carrying our passports too. Haven't done that in the past as it seemed not worth the risk but times are a changing so to speak. I've never put much faith in the photo copy business, though we made copies once but never took them off the boat. Had a recent discussion with an old friend from our Pentagon days to wish him and his family a happy Thanksgiving. He is now the deputy regional director of TSA here in San Antonio. I asked him about photocopies of passports, etc., and he basically looked at me like I'd lost my mind. They will not honor any ID that is not the original and is not current. He also said "Hey, I thought making a photo copy of your passport was against the law?" Beats me and he couldn't remember for sure.....kind of one of those vague, unenforceable laws like making photocopies of US currency.

Yet another interesting, yet apparently controversial:rolleyes: topic! First of all, follow the instructons the ship gives you: take your ship's i.d./key card plus at least one government issued personal photo i.d. ashore with you otherwise you run the risk of getting harrassed (always like to hear that term:rolleyes: ) by the local authorities who are just doing their job. Great advise from the Grumpmeister: take HAL's port's agent info ashore with you and know how to contact him if need to! Taking only one or two credit cards instead of seventeen ashore with you is also great advise! Be easy on the $$$ you carry with you and leave your Rolex, and/or expensive jewelry for the captain's welcome aboard reception and/or in your cabin safe!

Passports are always interesting. Photocopies of them (those are allowed btw, photocopies of U.S. currency is not;)) only serve a limited purpose. No problem with carrying them ashore with you but it is not required. Expired driver's licenses just like anything else expired are no good for identification purposes. If I stop a nice citizen driver on the street and he/she shows me an expired DL, I give them the same info and then take their car (ok, just kidding). If it makes you feel better to take your pp with you in case you don't make it back on the ship for whatever reason, do it. We leave them on the ship but that's just us. It seems to me that HAL, through their port agent, will be assisting you with 'splaining things to the local authorities if you become stranded. I would recommend getting in touch with the U.S. consulate and/or embassy for their assistance also.

Susan, the beach thing and what to do with your "stuff" is always a dilemma since there are really only two options; take your valuables with you in the aqua or leave them on the beach. If you leave your stuff on the beach you always run the risk of them getting swiped by some local entrepeneur. You can make it tougher like Laura suggested but probably the only secure way of doing it is to enter the water taking turns. No fun, I know!

I just read the thread Keeping Passports With You over on the Ask a Cruise Question forum. For me, carrying my passport came down to whether to purchase travel insurance or not.

* If you ever buy insurance and need it you will be glad you bought it.

* If you never buy buy insurance and need it you will wish had bought it.

I like to gamble and in this case the odds tell me I would prefer to have it with me whether I need it or not. Me, I'll take my passport with me.

I just read the thread Keeping Passports With You over on the Ask a Cruise Question forum. For me, carrying my passport came down to whether to purchase travel insurance or not.

* If you ever buy insurance and need it you will be glad you bought it.

* If you never buy buy insurance and need it you will wish had bought it.

I like to gamble and in this case the odds tell me I would prefer to have it with me whether I need it or not. Me, I'll take my passport with me.

This is the best gamble you can make. When you sail you are no longer inside the United States or your native country. There are waterproof travel wallets and other simple measures to keep your passport dry and secure.

Even if your ship holds your passport: YOU CAN REQUEST IT when you go ashore. This helps when you do non-ships excursions. A passport copy is as good as the paper it's printed on. The passport number is the most important piece of information on it.

No matter what: Take a current, valid, picture ID when you leave the ship.

Take care,

Mike

Please don't flame me for this -- only reporting what happened -- On our October Volendam cruise the only port that seemed to make an issue out of having BOTH the ship card and a photo ID was ..... drumroll ..... our own St. Thomas, USVI. There was a security agent on the dock who was having a great time harassing any passengers who did not have a photo ID in addition to their ship card. Ultimately they were all allowed to board -- As we passed him he was busy harassing another couple from the ship -- we showed both cards and tried to sneak by, but he stopped us and put us on the spot and asked us if the ship did not remind us all in the morning to have both forms of ID if we wished to leave the ship -- a position I did not like being in at all.

This isn't a flame by why would you say "harrass" when he was correcting them for not doing what they had been told to do (and chose not to)?

expired drivers licenses may not be such a good idea. My SIL was flying

to a wedding, and forgot that her license expired just 3 days prior to the

flight. My brother had no problem, she spent 30 minutes with 3 different

TSA people who kept telling her her ID wasn't valid. This in spite of the fact

that her picture was on it and it was issued by the state of Florida. She was

allowed to fly, and the return flight (DC to Jacksonville FL) wasn't a problem.

Now that we have come this far, it should be pointed out that is is a good practice to make photo copies of your passport and place a photo copy in each of your pieces of luggage.

That photo copy serves one purpose and one purpose only. It will make it easier for the embassy or consul to get you a replacement passport in the unlikely event that you lose your original. And it is going to cost you big time to use this service.

There is no other ligitimate use for photo copies of your passport. As a practical matter it might help to identify your luggage if it gets lost.

We will get off a ship with only a driver's license and key card in US territory.

But when ever we go on foreign soil, we carry our passports, I usually keep them in a deep front pants pocket. They also have money / valuables belts to be worn under your clothing.

If you are worried about taking your passport to the beach, check with local (scuba) dive shops, or online if there are none near you. You can purchase waterproof sealing pouches that you can take into the water with you. They even have them suitable for cameras! They are not made for going too deep, but they work fine for fun on the beach.

The only things the ship's ID card is good for is to clock you on and off the ship (mode of transport) and what table you are sitting at for dinner.

Our passports go where we go.

Have to disagree. In most of the ports we have visited, you wont get through the gate to the pier without showing the ship ID card. Some will require additional ID, some don't. Out of about 60 ports visited in the last two years, at least 3/4 of them required us to show the ship ID card to get into the port area. Less than half required additional Identification and of those, only about a dozen required the passport. As several posters have pointed out, check the instructions that are issued before you leave the ship and follow them! If someone screws up and doesn't have the proper ID and their vacation gets messed up because of it, they sure won't get any sympathy from me.

If you are worried about taking your passport to the beach, check with local (scuba) dive shops, or online if there are none near you. You can purchase waterproof sealing pouches that you can take into the water with you. They even have them suitable for cameras! They are not made for going too deep, but they work fine for fun on the beach.

Camera stores sell these, also..

A few years ago I did the Western Europe cruise (England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Germany, Belguim, Amsterdam) and when we left Dover, England, they had taken our passports and we didn't get them back until we got back to Dover. Just think all of those countries we were in and we didn't have any legal documentation. If we had run into problems, our passports were on the ship.

On our last 3 cruises (NCL and HAL), we were always asked for our photo ID and cruise card when we went through the first checkpoint and also again when we boarded the ship.

I always carry my ID everywhere when I travel.

A few years ago I did the Western Europe cruise (England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Germany, Belguim, Amsterdam) and when we left Dover, England, they had taken our passports and we didn't get them back until we got back to Dover. Just think all of those countries we were in and we didn't have any legal documentation. If we had run into problems, our passports were on the ship.

Provided you took the ship's agent's contact info with you, there would have been no problem as the agency could obtain your passport from the ship on your behalf. Not something that can be easily done if it's locked in the room safe!:rolleyes:

I would never get off the ship without having passport/and at least one credit card in hand...you never know what could happen. What would you do if you had an accident and had to go to the hospital and the ship left port? This has happend to folks...and trust me, the ship doesn't wait! Only time I don't do this is when we're at Half Moon Cay...

If you are worried about taking your passport to the beach, check with local (scuba) dive shops, or online if there are none near you. You can purchase waterproof sealing pouches that you can take into the water with you.
If someone is looking for this type of item, check out this at Magellans.com.

How did you cash a traveller's check? Last 2 times I was in England everyone wanted to see the passport as ID (don't remember the first time, I was just a kid).

I always have ID on me - in addition to my sig on my credit/debit cards, I write "see ID." If a cashier ever bothers to flip over the card, my ID should be requested.

Archived