Would you choose 1 Mediterranean cruise on Millie or 2 cruises to the Caribbean?

michelleorick

Hubby and I are trying to decide on a cruise next year. We have sailed on RCCL previously (twice) and once one Celebrity- the Horizon. We have also traveled on land to Jamaica, Mexico, and I have been to Senegal and Ivory Coast. Hubby has been on land trips to Germany and Switzerland. As far as cruising goes, we think Celebrity is hands down a better experience for us. Unbelievable service, food and iteneraries. We are planning one of two scenarios for next year- one "big cruise" to the Eastern Mediteranean on Millenium or two different cruises to the Caribbean or Hawaii. Neither of us have been to the Mediterranean but we are history buffs (DH is a history/geography teacher) and have always wanted to go (Livorno, Naples, Athens....how can you go wrong?). The price will be about the same in the end. For those who have done both- which would you choose and why (2 shorter cruises vs. 1 longer itenerary to Europe). This is the last big vacation spree before we "start working on our family" as my mother puts it! Thanks for all the replies and the previously posted reviews on the Millie and European itenerary! MO

That is like comparing apples to oranges. Two completely different types of cruises and experience. The Med is very port intensive and a lot of sightseeing, while the Caribbean type of cruise is very relaxing, with a lot of sun and beach days. Only you can make the decision, based on what type of vacation you would want.

Well, my vote would be to take the big one before starting a family. If you've done the Caribbean before, this would be a wonderful change for you. It's entirely different from every aspect. It's such a wonderful trip that I'm sure you wouldn't regret it.
Marilyn

No question in my mind - Mediterranean!! So much more interesting than the Caribbean, [i]especially[/i] if you're interested in history and geography. European cruises are special. Im sure you'll love it.

Happy sailing.
Joanie

...because it's an awesome trip + you can take kids with you on the Carib & Hawaiian adventures at a far younger age than you can take them on a Med cruise! In other words, your cruise days will not end when kids arrive. You know the drill on Carib cruises--they are a dime a dozen, available all year round from a multitude of ports, and perfect for families (or, of a perfect length vs. the Med for leaving little ones in the care of babysitters for a special post-kids couple's getaway).

Editing my own message because I don't see my signature line (even though it says to show it)--the important part of that signature line is the fact that we just did the Med on the Millie! I should also say that my two cents is based on our experiences traveling pre- and post-kids. We are lucky both kids have become as passionate about travel as we are--they went with us to all sorts of kid-friendly locations when they were young, and now, at the ripe ages of 11 and 13, they've been on some pretty incredible journeys with us, including the Med cruise. So, my point is, travel doesn't end when kids come into your life--it just changes for a while.

I would take the Mediterranean on the Millie. You can usually find good prices on Carribean cruises, and it would be easier to take the children with on a Carribean cruise if you wanted to bring them along.

The Millie has a fabulous itinerary for the Mediterranean. It's definitely one of my dream cruises. I hope to be able to take this cruise sometime soon.

The Med is a "Dream" cruise. Very romantic, too many memories to waste it on a Carib cruise. We went in May, not too hot, no rain and I look at our photos & go right back, St Mark's Square alone will have you with your jaw open, eyes wide open and the folks who live there are so proud of their city they make you like family with hugs & all. Athens is another amazing city that is hundred of years old & still standing where here in the USA it sould be a condo by now. Mone Carlo was another stop we did with Grace Kelly's castle & her resting place behind the altar in the church they were married in. I bought a red rose & the pastor took me to her to leave it. Another great memory.........

To me the Carib is a quickie cruise, tho it can be a week or 2. No history involved.

I agree with Joanie:"No question in my mind - Mediterranean!! So much more interesting than the Caribbean, especially if you're interested in history and geography. European cruises are special. Im sure you'll love it."

I cruised two Mediterranean cruises and two Caribbean. The Med. cruises were much much more interesting!!! In fact, so interesting that I'll do a Med. cruise next october on the Millie. Don't forget that Italy is one of the most beautiful countries of the world. Don't hesitate, choose the Med. and enjoy your cruise!

Well, my 2 cents say the Mediterranean...also. But I would "throw in" looking at Scandinavia/Russia...some really good history when you get to St. Petersburg....whatever you decide, you will enjoy.

[quote name='RSteele']Well, my 2 cents say the Mediterranean...also. But I would "throw in" looking at Scandinavia/Russia...some really good history when you get to St. Petersburg....whatever you decide, you will enjoy.[/QUOTE]
As a person who lived in USSR for my first 24 years I'll say...St. Petersburg is not for 2 day visit! When you visit this wonderful city make sure you have [i][b]at least 7 days[/b][/i]. At least!

I visited Leningrad (previous name of St.Pete) two times. For 1 month and 1 week and every day I had new things to explore.

Hermitage itself requires more than 1 visit.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

To original poster,

I'd pick Med...and I would make sure that as soon as I book I'd contact private tours to organize excursions in Rome, Pisa/Florence etc.

[url="http://www.driverinrome.com"]www.driverinrome.com[/url] is very good one , but you should visit Ports of Call board and read lots of great info it has.

Good luch with your cruise. :D

I would do the one big Mediterranean cruise for this reason. Caribbean cruises are more numerous and therefore will be the cheapest and when you get that family going(!!!!!), the Caribbean(read Disney Cruise Lines here!) is a great family vacation!!! ( seriously, as other lines are too.) So do the history, etc. stuff as a couple and save the Caribbean for the family!

Having done them all, I'm going with the majority here...
...and it's not even a close call...

We did the Millennium for a 13-night itinerary back in August and it was, BY ALL MEASURES, the best cruise we ever took...

Frankly, I'm beginning to find the Caribbean mundane and ordinary...Sure, it's a great place for folks from Buffalo and Minneapolis and Winnepeg to escape the snow and cold in winter...but, it's really no great shakes...

But, the Mediterranean is downright phenomenal...The history, the culture, the food, the scenery, the architecture...
...the distinct and different ports, each particularly fascinating in its own way...

Venice...Could there be a better city in the world from which to start a cruise? It is a unique, one-of-a-kind place, beautiful and enchanting...The canals, the narrow walkways, the outdoor cafes on the beautiful piazzas...

Barcelona...Is there a better city to end a cruise? To relax and wind down? To stroll Las Ramblas, to view the marvels of Gaudi...ahhh...

And the glory of ancient Athens?

The magic of Santorini?

They mystery and charm of Dubrovnik?

The splendor of Rome?

The beauty of Florence?

The ancient treasures of Pompei...or the romance of Capri?

Corfu? Mykonos? The south of France?

What in the Caribbean could possibly come close to these places?

Our first cruise was in the Med. And we simply kept going back - until 9/11. We have finally decided to return next May on Millie and while we have a shorter E. Carib. cruise scheduled in December, the thought of it does not hold nearly as much excitment and anticipation as thinking about returning to the Med. next year.

Words simply cannot describe the feeling one gets exploring and experiencing the magnificence of Venice (my favorite city), Florence (my second favorite), Rome, Naples, Barcelona........and the Isle of Capri.......

Do the longer Med. cruise - and I'll bet you'll book a return cruise sooner than you think -

Thank you everyone for your replies- the detail and comparisons are excellent. We have decided to proceed with the Millie Mediterranean crusie and your replies and descriptions make me want to be there NOW! Gotta get back with our TA and set up the details. Does the Millie have Sushi every night in the Casual dining area like the Horizon? Now we just gotta decide which tours to book through the ship and which to do on our own. I appreciate the input. It really made our decision easier! MO

MO: You received excellent advice and made a wise decision. We're also into history, particularly the ancient history & cultures. Many echoed what I was going to say, so I won't repeat, especially since you are already convinced! The Med was a dream vacation (I'll repeat that part). So much so that next year we're doing the Turkey, Greece, Italy variation, this time on the Galaxy. And, yes, the Millennium does have the sushi each evening in the casual dining area. Have fun!!!

We have cruised the Carib. many times and are back in Feb., but in June we went to the Med. on the Galaxy. It was the trip of a lifetime! We loved Hawaii too! But the Med. is romantic, historical, fun, interesting, and so different! DO THE MED! Peg

michelleorick,
I am glad you made the right choice. It just doesn't get much better than the Med, especially when you are on our favorite cruise line, Celebrity. We were on RCCL, so I would expect your cruise experience to be even better.

Archived