Don't book this (these) rooms

SPARKY12

Hello

We have just booked our very first cruise - on HAL Ryndam June 29 2013. I booked the lowest level balcony room BB which said guaranteed that level at least. There appear to be only the four BB rooms. We have a couple of days still before the deposit is paid and I am having a quiet little freak out. My questions are:

Is there a problem with these staterooms and the guaranteed bit?

and should I upgrade?

I gather from my reading on cruise critic that I can pay for an upgrade before final payment is made if I see that the prices on higher level staterooms have been discounted. Is that correct?

Any other tips or things that I look out for?

A little bit off topic I know, but boarding starts at 1pm and the ship leaves at 4pm. We are coming from France that day and our timelines are pretty tight. What is the comfortably latest time that we can get to the ship?

Many thanks :p

Hello

We have just booked our very first cruise - on HAL Ryndam June 29 2013. I booked the lowest level balcony room BB which said guaranteed that level at least. There appear to be only the four BB rooms. We have a couple of days still before the deposit is paid and I am having a quiet little freak out. My questions are:

Is there a problem with these staterooms and the guaranteed bit?

and should I upgrade?

I gather from my reading on cruise critic that I can pay for an upgrade before final payment is made if I see that the prices on higher level staterooms have been discounted. Is that correct?

Any other tips or things that I look out for?

A little bit off topic I know, but boarding starts at 1pm and the ship leaves at 4pm. We are coming from France that day and our timelines are pretty tight. What is the comfortably latest time that we can get to the ship?

Many thanks :p

you want to make sure the cabin is above and below cabin space and away from public areas that could be noisy.

Usually price is what it is-- most cruises will sail at a higher price- especially with so far ahead of the date. You are looking at the cheapest rate possible.

I have sailed 18 times and only twice did price ever come down.

But do check prices all the time once you are booked.

You want to come in the day before the ship leaves. this will alleviate any time constraints that may happen if something comes up with the sceduled flight.

Arriving the day of the cruise--- is way too stressful. too tired to enjoy the first day. Hotels are cheap enough and worth the added expense to arrive between 10:30-11am to be onboard by noon to enjoy that first day on the ship. Your ticket will state by 1pm-- but people in the know know to arrive earlier before the crowds-- 1pm is when most people head to the dock for boarding.

with a 4pm sailing you need to be onboard by 2:30

from looking at these videos it looks like you will not be able to look down into the waters. only looking straight out

Thanks Serene, the videos helped convince DH to rebook an unobstructed verandah stateroom. Just in time, too, we got the last one on the bump for our sailing :D

We just got off the Freedom, and we took the room 6202 across the front of the ship with windows that they consider inside cabins. I loved having the window for the inside price, however, the sound of the waves hitting were like bombs going off and it was incredible rough., I would not recommend this...

I booked this cabin for 12/9/12 and have not been able to find much info on it. It was not considered an inside though. It is called a large oceanview. I am not considering changing cabins but would like to know more about it. There are four of us. Did it have a pullman bed? Anything else you can tell me about it? Good or bad? How about pics? Thanks. Anything helps!!!:confused:

I posted this on the HAL board but thought I would see if anyone here had any experice with this cabin...

I currently have a VA cabin on Deck 5 Aft...but for $500 less I can get a VB Aft Cabin on Deck 4...I am sailing solo so size of room is not a problem...but I am worried...the cabin door appears to be right next to the Corner Suite Cabin door...we had an aft cabin on Carnival Glory with a similar door set up...and spent a miserable 7 nts listening to our neighbors slam in & out all night into the wee hours of the morning...could have just been bad neighbors...or bad ship design..would appreciate any input from anyone who has stayed in this cabin or a similar set up...Thanks...

We are heading to the Bahamas with our kids and got these connecting rooms. I have no idea what to expect as this is only our 2nd cruise!

I can say that on the Carnival Miracle, we were in room 8155 and it was great. There was only one night that I woke up from noise and I just put in an earplug and went back to sleep...and I am a very light sleeper.

We are heading to the Bahamas with our kids and got these connecting rooms. I have no idea what to expect as this is only our 2nd cruise!

I can say that on the Carnival Miracle, we were in room 8155 and it was great. There was only one night that I woke up from noise and I just put in an earplug and went back to sleep...and I am a very light sleeper.

you are under the dining room which is carpeted so no noise issue. It just will be a hike for you to get to the food/pools. Go to the aft elevator and take that up.

the MDR-- unless you have anytime dining is only one deck up

Just back from the Carnival Valor. I do NOT recommend balcony cabins starboard side on deck 6 mid-ship. We were in 6335 and 6339 and the music was LOUD until the wee hours but was manageable with ear plugs and by leaving the balcony door open for ocean noise.

But the cabins beyond ours, like 6343 and aft, had it much worse. When walking by those cabins at 1:00 and 2:00 AM it was sooooo loud, you could hear every single word that the singer was saying and the walls were thumping.

its very important to know whats above or below your cabin

deck 6 starboard or odd number side has many noise areas. but what is sad is you cant determine what is below you because a band sets up at 9pm and plays into the wee hours..and its not on the deck plan

picking a cabin on the even side is a better choice.

being over the piano bar-depending how good that player is could be terrible for early morning noise.

and the kareokee is now in the aft lounges and again is very popular.

many people ask about these rooms and its been reported many times but many times we hear back-how noisy can it be..

We just got back from a 15 day Hawaiian cruise on Star Princess.

Originally I was so excited to have been given this cabin on the ship.

Pros: only 1 neighbor

Cons: The deck we had was great, but we could only sit outside when we were in port due to the noise of the engine. If the sun was on the deck, it was to bright to sit there. Hardly used the beautiful deck. We were miles away from the middle of the ship or the Princess theater. Way to much walking.

If you get seasick---this cabin is not for you. Since this cabin is AFT, you feel everything. The hangers swing back and forth in the closet, the deck furniture moves, drawers roll in and out. The bed moves back and forth and up and down. Good thing I don't get seasick.

This cabin isn't near anything. I wish I had brought roller skates.

Never again!

We just got back from a 15 day Hawaiian cruise on Star Princess.

Originally I was so excited to have been given this cabin on the ship.

Pros: only 1 neighbor

Cons: The deck we had was great, but we could only sit outside when we were in port due to the noise of the engine. If the sun was on the deck, it was to bright to sit there. Hardly used the beautiful deck. We were miles away from the middle of the ship or the Princess theater. Way to much walking.

If you get seasick---this cabin is not for you. Since this cabin is AFT, you feel everything. The hangers swing back and forth in the closet, the deck furniture moves, drawers roll in and out. The bed moves back and forth and up and down. Good thing I don't get seasick.

This cabin isn't near anything. I wish I had brought roller skates.

Never again!

You must have had very rough seas, but it would have been worse at the front of the ship. Least movement midship and less walking to theater or DRs

We have cabin 6111 booked for a Mediterranean cruise and noticed cabin 6179 open. We are thinking of moving to 6179 to be more midship but I notice an empty space next to that room. Any idea what this space is? Should we stay where we are? Also, is this deck ok? Thanks.

We have cabin 6111 booked for a Mediterranean cruise and noticed cabin 6179 open. We are thinking of moving to 6179 to be more midship but I notice an empty space next to that room. Any idea what this space is? Should we stay where we are? Also, is this deck ok? Thanks.

its a great cabin-- grab it

Im sorry- i thought it was 6279 which is a great balcony cabin.

for your cruise thouse I would take the 6179 its more midship then you are now-- its just too forward for me.