Ncl Soda Cards Beware!

M&MCruisin

Going by what I've read on this board, and rounding off the numbers...

The old price was $6/day & the new price is $9/day. At $2 per soda, you used to need 3 sodas for break even per day, and now you need 4.5 sodas per day. Taking into account that the quantity of soda you get when using the card is less than the quantity in a $2 can, we can conservatively estimate that the glass holds half a $2 can. That said, we now need 9 sodas a day (that's @ $9/day) on the card to "break even".

I'm a soda drinker, all I drink is soda, and I could easily have 9 glasses of soda before lunch :eek: . It's a bargain for me, as each additional soda decreases my average price. I will still bring along some cans & a small cooler for conveinience in the room, or to carry with me.

This newer pricing definitely is not worth it if you have a glass or 2 of soda a day; but for us soda junkies...any price is still cost effective for us to have unlimited amounts...

Mike

I think the issue here is that the folks on the Pearl 3/16 cruise were charged MORE than the advertised price. Its not that I think the price was too much, although that could be argued since we pay enough for the cruise itself, but thats another topic. My reason for the original post was to notify those who want a soda card that you will pay more than the advertised price. It was just a warning. "Beware". The $5.95 per day was still posted up until very recently, when they apparently read this thread and changed it...who knows.

heelfan94...whoever posted the $40.25...its not 32 sodas. Ala Cart sodas are $1.50 each plus 15% gratuity... which is $1.73 each soda, not $1.26 as the math above indicates for 32 sodas. Also, one could argue that the tiny glass they give you of soda is not even one full can of soda and they refuse to give you the rest of the can unless you drink some right there and ask them to refill your cup before you go.

That being said, I think all points made have been good. AND I hope that the cruise lines start taking some of these things in to consideration as NCL now appears to have the highest cost for soda cards of any cruise line....anyone know of one higher than $8.63 per day?

• 7 years later...

About to go on Bahamas NCL cruise in October. Can anyone tell me the going rate on the Norwegian Pearl for a soda?

No way I consume more than 2 soda a day, so thinking to just buy ala carte. Also, do they have water and lemonade free? Easy to find? 24 hrs.

Lastly, if you do buy a soda package, does that mean you have to walk around with the "free" tumbler they give you?

About to go on Bahamas NCL cruise in October. Can anyone tell me the going rate on the Norwegian Pearl for a soda?

No way I consume more than 2 soda a day, so thinking to just buy ala carte. Also, do they have water and lemonade free? Easy to find? 24 hrs.

Lastly, if you do buy a soda package, does that mean you have to walk around with the "free" tumbler they give you?

Not worth resurrecting a 7 year old thread ;) but $6.50 a day plus gratuity. If you aren't drinking 3 or more a day it's probably not worth it. You don't need to carry the tumbler. Water is free and they had iced tea and lemonade on the Gem at the buffet.

They are $2.10 plus gratuity Nope, you can just show your key card - it'll have a sticker on it showing you have the soda package and they'll give you a soda. No need to have the tumbler. Although when you do have the tumbler, they obviously automatically know you have the package.

There's water and lemonade. Water on the ship is very good, no need to buy if you just want a glass of ice water.

Edited by youngestof9

You mean like the change from Coke products :D to Pepsi products? :mad:

;)

Yup, that is actually a very good example - I definitely prefer Coke products myself.... :(

And also the price has changed since 2007, and the terms & conditions.... ;)

And right now I am contributing to keeping a thread where the majority of comments were accurate 7,5 years ago, by posting comments myself.... :p

Also, be aware that NCL now has Pepsi products, not Coke products. I know some people don't mind but it makes a big difference for me so I'm bringing my own Coke.

You mean like the change from Coke products :D to Pepsi products? :mad:

;)

Technical picky fine point but it took 115 posts to define that NCL serves

Pepsi products and not "Coke aka Coke-a-cola" ! And NO 7UP or Dr. Pepper !

Another anti-customer consumer cruise complaint when using the USP card

and you go to a bar the bar tender fills your glass/mug/or whatever floats

your boat BUT DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE CAN - the beverage is served from a

multi point dispensing machine. Here is the point of this complaint - - -

You are in your cabin and take out a can of your choice expecting that you

will be able to replace it with one from the bar - NO SIREE BOB CAN NOT DO !

What a customer unfriendly method of service. "BUT ONLY ON NCL !" So instead

of self-service in your cabin you have to trek out to find a bar to serve you

the beverage and haul it back to the convenience of your cabin - Oh and make

sure you decently dressed for this trek - no shirts no shoes no service !

NCL is making money hand over fist with the use of the multi-point dispensing

machine and doing a controlled pour over those not smart enough to bring

a big cup glass or mug for filling - granted it is a cost savings device to NCL

but are the costs shared with the customers ? And take a can out of the mini-

fridge NCL has gottcha in another money grabbing event.

Solution bring your own beverages of choice - - - BYOB - - - no alcohol but

COKE COCA COLA DIET COKE SPRITE DIET SPRITE DR. PEPPER 7UP and

avoid patronizing NCLs Pepsi products if that is not your preferred choice !

Only thing to do now if get the cabin steward to fill the ice bucket !

Edited by don't-use-real-name

Technical picky fine point but it took 115 posts to define that NCL serves

Pepsi products and not "Coke aka Coke-a-cola" ! And NO 7UP or Dr. Pepper !

I guess you didn't notice that the 115th post was made almost 7 1/2 years after this thread had originally been active. :rolleyes: 7 1/2 years ago NCL still offered Coca Cola products. Someone reopened a long inactive thread.

Edited by njhorseman

Solution bring your own beverages of choice - - - BYOB - - - no alcohol but

COKE COCA COLA DIET COKE SPRITE DIET SPRITE DR. PEPPER 7UP and

avoid patronizing NCLs Pepsi products if that is not your preferred choice !

Only thing to do now if get the cabin steward to fill the ice bucket !

We did both, brought our own 12 Pack of regular COKE and 32oz of silver rum, Rum Runners worked great. Got Steward to empty mini-bar so we cuol duse the fridge, and he kept our ice stocked. No Worries.

I guess you didn't notice that the 115th post was made almost 7 1/2 years after this thread had originally been active. :rolleyes: 7 1/2 years ago NCL still offered Coca Cola products. Someone reopened a long inactive thread.

Of course not that is why we have critiquers critiquing the critic ! LOL !

Anyway NCL took a turn for the worse when they stopped serving "THE REAL THING" be it now or sometime in the past 7 and half years ago !

Now what was I doing when I was out-critiqued ?

I hate that when that happens - but in good humor always !