Crab Cakes in Dining Room??

SakeDad

One of my mothers FAVORITES is crab cakes. I have read the ones in the PG are wonderful, but as I haven't decided if we're doing the PG yet or not, has anyone had, or special ordered, the crab cakes in the Main Dining Room, or even the Lido, before??

They are only appetizers at the Pinnacle Grill. They are very good, but not the Maryland Style Jumbo Lump. They use small canned crab meat.

If you are with someone who loves crab cakes it's probably worth one visit to the Pinnacle Grill. Although the Pinnacle was our best meal we won't be back because of the increased $30pp surcharge. Besides, my Dh got the recipe from the ship, has made them at home, but (in my opinion) his Maryland style, which is broiled and uses old bay is a much better recipe :)

I agree with Jade. I would rate the crab cakes in the PG as good. (they are small and as Jade said only served as an appetizer)

If you compare them to Baltimore Maryland style crab cakes there is no contest. Baltimore Maryland style beats the PG by miles !

Love that Old Bay !!!!.:)

I am originally from Philly. Crab cakes are made similiar to Balitmore.

Now when it comes to just eating those blue point crabs, Philly boils them with lots of Old Bay, Balitmore steams them. Either way is good. :rolleyes:

Jade, you can see where I'm from, so I think we'll stay clear of the "crab cakes". They certainly won't appeal to us...Old Bay is a must.;)

They are only appetizers at the Pinnacle Grill. They are very good, but not the Maryland Style Jumbo Lump. They use small canned crab meat.

If you are with someone who loves crab cakes it's probably worth one visit to the Pinnacle Grill. Although the Pinnacle was our best meal we won't be back because of the increased $30pp surcharge. Besides, my Dh got the recipe from the ship, has made them at home, but (in my opinion) his Maryland style, which is broiled and uses old bay is a much better recipe :)

The PG crasb cakes aren't like Chesapeake Bay crab cakes for a very good reason - the PG features NorthWestern cuisine! That means Dungeness crab cakes.

Now as I lived in Maryland for 15 years, and now live in northern California, I consider myself a crab cake connoisseur. I much prefer the taste and texture of Dungeness cakes, although well-done Chesapeake Bay ones can be quite good (most aren't well made, sadly). The PG's cakes are good, but not up to the "top tier" in land-side restaurants.

If you really, really love Dungeness cakes, get them at Windows on the Water in Morro Bay California (near San Luis Obispo).

But to the original question - don't pay $30/head for the PG only to try the crab cakes...

We'll make sure that we try out the crabcakes at the Pinnacle Grill. We've already made reservations for day 2 of the cruise. I have eaten crabcakes in Virginia Beach. I'm assuming those are like the ones you talk about in Maryland. If they're the same, definitely count me in.

Mark

There is nothing better than Maryland-style crabcakes with Old Bay seasonings! Yum! That's what I use...and I'm from New England! ;)

S7S...don' think those are the "great" cakes she meant:rolleyes: HAL doesn't have the "good ones"....this is directly from oldbay.com but feel free to change things to taste, I simply pull as much fresh crab as I can on a table in the yard, then add Old Bay, onion, parsley, beaten egg (to bind), bread crumbs, Creole mustard, salt & pepper, mix, form into patties and sautee in a pan with hot oil YUMM:p .....but here's their recipe too.

Ingredients:

1 lb. fresh crawfish tailmeat chopped coarsely (crawfish tailmeat is now readily available in most grocery stores)

1 lb. lump crab meat well picked of shells

2 medium size red bell peppers, chopped

2 medium size green bell peppers, chopped

1 medium red onion, chopped

1 Tbs. chopped fresh garlic

3 Tbs. butter

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

2 Tbs. Creole mustard or other whole grain mustard

2 Tbs. seafood seasoning (Old Bay spice will do)

Juice of 1 lemon

1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper

2 eggs, beaten

1 cup bread crumbs

1/2 cup flour

1/4 cup of olive oil

Tartar or Sherry Remoulade sauce

Preparation:

Sauté onions, peppers, and garlic in butter until tender. Let cool. Blend crawfish tail meat, crab meat, parsley, mustard, seafood seasoning, lemon juice, salt, and pepper thoroughly in a mixing bowl. Add the cooled onion and pepper mixture and eggs, then fold in the bread crumbs. Form into four oz. cakes and dredge in flour. Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown both sides of the cakes in a frying pan, cooking approximately two minutes per side. Finish the cakes by placing them in a baking pan and placing them in a 350 degree oven for ten minutes. Serve with tartar sauce or for a real New Orleans flavor Sherry Remoulade sauce. Makes eight to ten 4 oz. cakes.

There is nothing better than Maryland-style crabcakes with Old Bay seasonings! Yum! That's what I use...and I'm from New England! ;)

Well, I'm from NE also (born and raised "across the bay" from RuthC!) and also lived in the Chesapeake Bay area for almost 20 years. I like my Steamed blue crabs, but for crab cakes, nothing can beat San Francisco Dungeness crab cakes! ;)

Archived