Guide To Florida Car Rental (Transfer To Port)

Acrossenger

When I reserved a car from Dollar (Port of Miami pickup) for October, I used the code "KISS" from this board. Dollar never asked to show prove when we picked the car up.

Where is the dollar rental car drop-off located in Miami? Is it by the airport? Did they shuttle you to the port? Any charge? We are driving from Orlando, and so far I got a better rate with Dollar than Budget. I would appreciate your help.

Where is the dollar rental car drop-off located in Miami? Is it by the airport? Did they shuttle you to the port? Any charge? We are driving from Orlando, and so far I got a better rate with Dollar than Budget. I would appreciate your help.

Dollar pick us up at the Port of Miami (free) and took us to their office (a short drive from the port) . Their office is 3670 NW South River Drive, Miami, 1-866-434-2226 (general reservations number). I would mapquest to get directions. I would assume that they take people to the Port since they are dropping people and returning to the port for more people. Dollar shares their office building and shuttle with Thrifty. There is no car rental offices at the Port.

Dollar pick us up at the Port of Miami (free) and took us to their office (a short drive from the port) . Their office is 3670 NW South River Drive, Miami, 1-866-434-2226 (general reservations number). I would mapquest to get directions. I would assume that they take people to the Port since they are dropping people and returning to the port for more people. Dollar shares their office building and shuttle with Thrifty. There is no car rental offices at the Port.

Note, that is the same location that they take people to when they pick them up at the airport, too.

Just booked a one way from FLL to MIA from Thrifty and got a great rate.

I turned around to book a one way from MIA to FLL from Thrifty again but this time there was a drop-off fee.

Is there a reason that a drop-off applies on the way back?

Anyone else have the same experience?

Thanks!

Just booked a one way from FLL to MIA from Thrifty and got a great rate.

I turned around to book a one way from MIA to FLL from Thrifty again but this time there was a drop-off fee.

Is there a reason that a drop-off applies on the way back?

Anyone else have the same experience?

Thanks!

I booked Oct 26 for April 13/09 with Thrifty from MIA to FLL using Orlando Magic Card 004M001010. No drop off charge is showing on my reservation. I tried using the same information today and you are correct it shows a drop off charge now.

I would call Thrifty and ask them why there is a charge.

btw..i asked prior how we knew the code woould work and if it was associated with the majic card (since there is nothing about it on the website) and i gave the code to my mom and she used it with the card in west palm with no issues!

mine has no one way drop off in either direction from fll to miami and return but i booked it a week or so ago and haven't re-checked...

Thanks everyone!!!

We booked a car with Thrifty. They will pick us up at the airport and shuttle us to the air port location. We rent the car and when we bring it back, we take it to the city location no charge. The city location has a free shuttle to the port.

I went and downloaded and printed my Orlando Magic Card used the code and saved $45 on the size car we wanted.

Yay!

Good ifo, thanks for sharing. What code is the city location for the drop off??

I was wondering if anyone could help me. We are flying into PBI on a Sunday, staying in Fort Lauderdale for the night, and then depart on our cruise from Port Everglades on Mon. I need to rent a car from PBI for Sunday and return it Monday. I also need to rent a car to transport us back to PBI when we return. Our flight back home does not leave until 6:30 pm so we have plenty of time. Is there a rental car company at Port Everglades or do we have to return the car at FLL, and then rent a car at FLL to go to PBI. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

We use Sunshine Car Rental in PBI. They are reputable and inexpensive.

Jan

Yes, yesterday once I didn't get the answer I wanted from the man at Thrifty, I decided to call Dollar. I knew there were sister companies and had read that they used the same office. The friendly lady at Dollar told me they DO run a shuttle from MIA to POM...so I know if Dollar does then Thrifty does as well.

Yesterday, I booked a one way economy (FLL to MIA) through Thrifty for $30 using the Orlando Magic Card code.

Hi SummerXU, When I went into the Thrifty site to book, the only location they offered for Miami is at the airport-so does the shuttle run from the Miami airport to the Port of Miami? Dollar's rates are ridiculous for Dec one way Fll to Miami, but Thrifty's are much more reasonable even using the Majic code($40/minivan vs. $160 at Dollar)

BTW, seems they apply a drop pff fee for MIA to FLL, but not FLL to MIA.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi SummerXU, When I went into the Thrifty site to book, the only location they offered for Miami is at the airport-so does the shuttle run from the Miami airport to the Port of Miami? Dollar's rates are ridiculous for Dec one way Fll to Miami, but Thrifty's are much more reasonable even using the Majic code($40/minivan vs. $160 at Dollar)

BTW, seems they apply a drop pff fee for MIA to FLL, but not FLL to MIA.

Thanks!

Yes, the only return location is the Miami airport location. You return it to the airport and then they run the shuttle from the drop-off location at the airport to the Port of Miami.

Need a rental for the precruise day in FLL on Feb 28th. Hate to do it, but we got a free hotel for the night and they have no restaurant. Heard Thrifty is most likely the way to go using the code form this thread.

I know we can pickup at the airport, but where to drop off and get a ride to the port. Thanks

Need a rental for the precruise day in FLL on Feb 28th. Hate to do it, but we got a free hotel for the night and they have no restaurant. Heard Thrifty is most likely the way to go using the code form this thread.

I know we can pickup at the airport, but where to drop off and get a ride to the port. Thanks

They have a location right at the entrance to Port Everglades which has a free shuttle to the port.

I checked last week for car rentals at FLL in February, Avis's total (AARP)rate was $86 + change. I looked today, using the code given for Avis and my total rate is $58.78. Needless to say, I reserved t immediately!

Thanks for the info. Now all I need is shuttle/taxi from the airport to cruise ship. Still need to work on that.

I used the magic code posted here to get the quote for rental car picking up at MIA and returning to FLL the next day. The base price is $30 as said by many. But the surcharge is so high, including:

drop off fee: $35

Customer Facility Charge ($4.00 per day)

Privilege Fee (9.89%)

It adds up to almost 100/day. Is it normal charges? or anyway I can get ride of drop off fee?

Many thanks!

Dollar and Thrifty charge a drop off fee MIA to FLL. At least for the dates I checked. I was able to book with Alamo for an under $40 rate w/o dropoff fee - smallest car for less than a day.

Use AAA or Southwest or another Corporate ID to get this rate.

ok, so a little confused about cars...

you get it at airport and there is a dropoff near the port of miami, or you have to go back to the airport?

For which rental company?

For Dollar/Thrifty, the lot isn't at the airport. You have to take a shuttle from the airport to their lot or from the port to their (same) lot.

Archived