Guide To Florida Car Rental (Transfer To Port)

Acrossenger

Just a heads up for anyone that is looking into one way rentals if you're DRIVING in from a distance. It's usually cheaper to rent and return from the same location and parking your car during the cruise than doing 2 one way rentals. I found this out after checking rates for buffalo-orlando which we might drive if the airfares don't come down. (5 of us). Also, alamo is cheaper by far than any of the others even without a code. Great thread!

Suggestions sought for the best deal for a compact car rental (with a large trunk) from Fort Lauderdale, with a drop off at Miami Airport.

Where would be the closest car rental depot to Seabreeze Boulevard?

We're thinking of 11 days from 5th December, assuming our dollar doesn't drop too much further (.98US to .70US in 3 months).

We have to factor in full insurance costs.

Does National have a shuttle from the airport to the port also?

No, they do not. I'm currently trying to find some listing of which car rental companies offer shuttles to the port of Miami and which locations offer them - whether MIA or closer to the port. So far I have had confirmed responses from National and Budget that their airport locations do NOT have shuttles to the port.

If anyone could provide a comprehensive listing of which companies/locations provide shuttle service to the port of Miami, I would be very grateful. :)

Okay... another question... since we have nine people in our party, we're renting two vehicles. If we rent from a company that has a drop off location NEAR the port, how difficult will it be for us to drop off most of the group at the port so that only one taxi is needed? What's the traffic like on an embarkation day? Is it something that can be done with minimal frustration, or would we be wiser for everyone to cab it?

No, they do not. I'm currently trying to find some listing of which car rental companies offer shuttles to the port of Miami and which locations offer them - whether MIA or closer to the port. So far I have had confirmed responses from National and Budget that their airport locations do NOT have shuttles to the port.

If anyone could provide a comprehensive listing of which companies/locations provide shuttle service to the port of Miami, I would be very grateful. :)

I know years ago - probably at least 10 - we used a shuttle from Hertz to go from the airport to the cruise port. Obviously things change in that time frame, but would at least give them a call to see.

Okay... another question... since we have nine people in our party, we're renting two vehicles. If we rent from a company that has a drop off location NEAR the port, how difficult will it be for us to drop off most of the group at the port so that only one taxi is needed? What's the traffic like on an embarkation day? Is it something that can be done with minimal frustration, or would we be wiser for everyone to cab it?

If you have plenty of time and can be a little flexible, all things are possible. Dollar/Thrifty (same rental location) has a shuttle from their pickup/drop location that can take you to the port.

Last week we did a little of the opposite. We needed two cars and one of our group just reserved a car that morning, so we left most everybody with the luggage at the port and shared a quick taxi to the airport where we caught our separate shuttles to the rental companies.

If you work that in reverse, you can drop the folks right at the port and take the vehicles back to the rental location. If need be (if they don't have a port shuttle), you can take their shuttle to the airport where you can share a taxi ($25 fixed price) to the port. The advantage there is that you don't have to schlep the bags on and off the shuttle.

Can someone clear up this info? I have called the Budget rent a car main office and they said that Budget doe have a shuttle that runs from MIA to the POM. I have called 3 times and 2 of the 3 people confirmed the info. I called another Budget near the POM and they said that the airport location was the only one with a shuttle to the POM. I have tried to call the Budget office at the airport but Never get an real person to talk too. HAS ANYONE USED THIS SERVICE RECENTLY FROM BUDGET????????? We are going to use this service in Feb.

Hello, I know this has probably been answered a dozen of times but I was hoping for the most current information and the people on this site are so intelligent and have gotten the best deals so I thought I would ask again. We want to rent a car from Ft. Lauderdale for the day before we leave on our cruise and then return it the day of the cruise. Who has the best deal that will shuttle us to Port Everglades after we drop off the car? Is there a coupon code to use?

Thanks everyone for your help.

We need a car rental code also.We want to pick up airport then return to airport with a free shuttle to cruise port.Can you tell me whick companys do this.Thanks for your help

I used the corporate code 004M001010 with Thrifty. I printed my Magicard and got information from this Web site http://www.orlandoinfo.com/magicard. I understand that they share a shuttle with other car rentals who operate from the rental car center at FLL. This shuttle goes to the port, and also returns to the rental car center.

Just got a very good AVIS weekly rate using AWD#: C356672

and the following coupon codes.

It also gives me unlimited miles.

Up to $20 off a Weekend Rental

Coupon

# MUMA011 for a 2-day rental

# MUMA012 for a 3-day rental

# MUMA013 for a 4-day rental

$15 off a Weekly Rental

Rent minimum 5 business days

# MUMA010

$50 off a Long Term Rental

Rent 30 days and get $50 off

# MUMA014

Expiration: 3/31/2009

Avis seems to have the best for a 1 day price.

We will be picking up a car at Ft Lauderdale airport and cruising out of Miami. and doing the reverse after cruise. We will be only using the car for a few hours to get to/from airport/port, it is cheaper than cruiseline transfers.

What return location do you put for Miami - is it Miami Intl airport if not what location?

Does Avis have a shuttle to the port and back to rental office. If no shuttle, what is the cost to the port?

Does Hertz still run a shuttle from Downtown location to the Port of Miami?

I called the downtown Hertz office and they said that they have a shuttle to/from port.

I have decided to change from Avis to Hertz for that reason. If you have to add taxi to cost of rental it all adds up.

For Hertz, you can use CDP# 1813168

and

PC # 114225 for Double Upgrade

PC # 145261 for Extra Rental Day

PC # 121402 for $10 discount per Day

PC # 121391 for $30 discount on a Weekly Rental

Expiration Date: 12/31/2008

Be careful with this one...I have a family member that works for Hertz, this is a business account program that belongs to a particular company. They can ask for the id card that Hertz sent out to the original subscriber when you rent, so if you don't really work for the company, you won't get the discount or the rental. You may also end up on "do not rent" list (barred from renting for lifetime) if you don't provide proper ID when they audit this list later. I think this code is on the watch list now.

This is such an awesome thread! I've been trying for days to get a 'cheap' rate for Thrifty for a 6 hour rental. I just used the Orlando Magic Card discount code suggested in previous posts (004M001010) and it saved me lots! We wanted to specifically use Thrifty because we're arriving FLL @ 6am and have about 6+ hours to kill. (Need to use that time to go 'shopping for beverages', if you catch my drift

.....Oops! hit the 'submit reply' button too soon. Anyways, another reason we really wanted to use Thrifty is that I heard that we could drop the car off at Thrifty's Port Everglades location, which is suppose to have a free shuttle to the cruiseport. (This will help in case we are running late, plus I really don't want to deal with the airport traffic). So this is what I booked using the discount code and it was only $31.55 (includes taxes/fees) compared to $58+ without using the code.

Thanks for all the info!

This is such an awesome thread! I've been trying for days to get a 'cheap' rate for Thrifty for a 6 hour rental. I just used the Orlando Magic Card discount code suggested in previous posts (004M001010) and it saved me lots! We wanted to specifically use Thrifty because we're arriving FLL @ 6am and have about 6+ hours to kill. (Need to use that time to go 'shopping for beverages', if you catch my drift

Thanks for the code. I had booked with Dollar and have now switched to Thrifty and have saved about $7.00 for the day. Dollar and Thrifty use the same shuttle bus and office in Miami.

Archived