Rccl Unfair One Day Sale Policy???

After reading the OP's initial posting I can see where he might be coming from. Unfortunately he got lumped into the group of diamond/diamond plus cruisers who, yesterday, were selfishly proclaiming the sale a rip-off/waste. It sounds like the fine print should have been a little more explanatory and included something like "loyalty benefits cannot be combined" or something like that.

Also, I agree with another poster that RCI should educate their own people about the sale and it's restrictions and ENFORCE them instead of randomly allowing a few people to use other benefits, coupons, etc. It's not very fair to those who respect the stated restrictions. That's pretty much the same as when they SOMETIMES stop chair hoggers or when they SOMETIMES make people remove baseball caps in the dining room...annoying! I am not dissing those who got all of the benefits...good for you! I am just sympathetic with those who were told that they couldn't get them knowing that it came down to the luck of the draw on what type of agent they might get at RCI.

Don't get me wrong, I love RCI, LOVED the sale and hope they do more of these...just be consistent and clear so to avoid disapointment. It may have reduced call wait times as well!

plus my TA tells me the rates are $200-$400 higher than the past week.
She was wrong!!:eek: :eek:

I was not indicating on how RCCL should run their business, nor do I disagree with whatever policy they decide to offer on special promotions.

I just think that RCCL has confused so many loyal cruisersin explaining their policies correctly and giving us a full explanation of what an offer really is.

When we became Diamond members, it doesn't say..."you are now Diamond members, but being a Diamond member actually means your Diamond member status is in an "Offer" category. It states because of your loyalty, you will get "X" amount of dollars off per future cruise booking. You would be led to believe your discount is because you are now a member of an elite group.

Now, when they have a sale and say you cannot combine this sale offer with any other offers such as your Diamond member status, I got confused because I did not realize the Diamond member status is an offer.

It has nothing to do with th money. It is just RCCL not explaining things properly.

Not sure how much you have been following the threads about the sale,but I read some and saw way too many stipulations for my liking...........so I choose not to book a cruise yesterday......I was informed and maybe you werent.......besides this is the first time,I have ever seen an "offer" that you cant use your D discount..I wouldnt get worked up about it........

Next time,you see something too good to be to true,read the fine print!

It did work out for some and that is terrrifc.......for someone like me,who likes to change cruises and dates,it would never work......

Anyone want a crying towel?

RCL is owned by it's stockholders. They have a responsibility to the stockholders to make a profit. That's the end of it.

It was a one-day special. You can either accept the rules of it (not combinable with any other discount) or you can skip it. It was CLEARLY printed in all the documentation. The email that RCL sent me clearly said "CONNOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER DISCOUNT." It was clearly stated on the special.

By all accounts it appears that it was a very successful one day sale and brough in a lot of new business. RCL needs to add new customers.... they have the Diamond customers hooked already and that's why they have a special discount for Diamond customers. It's new customers to fill the berths that are needed.

Thanks to everyone for their replys. As I mentioned before, my questions had nothing to dow ith a crying towel or RCCL policy, or money. For our 16 cruises, we have always had an Owners Suite. Take 16 cruises times an Owners Suite cost and I think I can safely say that we have given the RCCL stockholders a lot more than some of the people who are throwing some of their questionable comments to me, who will never come close to ever wanting to RCCL that type of rate for a room.

I never saw that the sale was a one day sale basically for new cruisers. Someone just happened to mention to me that their was a one day sale with the deposit discount and 50% deposit.

The one thing I did learn from most of the posts is that a Platinum and Diamond member, a person, that is in this group, is considered a discount or coupon. So when an ofer comes up again in the future and they say no other discounts or coupons apply, I will know that the Platinum and Diamond member group of cruisers, is actually this coupon or discount.

Thanks again to everyone for this clarification.

Your travel agent is NOT telling you the truth. I looked up a cruise 2 weeks ago and thought about booking on Friday and checked the price and it was the exact same. RCCL would not do that!!! They are much better business people than that. The shareholders would have their butts.

You can't be serious!!! The shareholders would pat them on the back for the increased profits. Increased profits equals increased dividend checks!

Even though I am a Platinum member I also got a good deal on the sale yesterday!

I booked an ocean view cabin, which would not have been discounted for me otherwise since he Platinum discount is for Balcony and above. Sorta evened the odds for me! :D

Lets say something is on a one sale in any store anywhere USA do the individuals who have earned a Senior citizen discount still get it? Or do they only get the one day sale price?

Almost every store sale says restrictions apply.:eek:

So, in my opinion, you have a choice to do the sale or use your regular discount if you have one but not both.....just smart business they can't give their products away.

Almost every store sale says restrictions apply.:eek:

So, in my opinion, you have a choice to do the sale or use your regular discount if you have one but not both.....just smart business they can't give their products away.

Thanks for clearing this up. I believe everyone now has the correct answer for the OP original question.

plus my TA tells me the rates are $200-$400 higher than the past week.

Sorry to say your TA was misinformed! We were choosing from at least 6 different itineraries to book, and our TA quoted the same prices before and during the sale. She said none of the bookings she was making (and she made a TON of bookings on Friday) had changed prices.....:)

I agree with all replies before. I can´t see anything unfair. Theie game their rules and if the C&A benefits is the better deal, hey noboady forces you to take advantage of the sale. But I guess some people always want it all.

Like the people who try to combine multiple discounts at a restaurant so that in the end, the restaurant pays you to eat there.

DON

I think that *maybe* the Owner Suite booker, who seems to be disparaging us by saying that some of us will NEVER spend that much money with the cruiseline, needs to read over the benefits page a bit better.

"Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has the right to terminate the Crown & Anchor Society Program (“the Program”) or to change the Terms and Conditions of participation and benefits, in whole or in part; at any time without notice. "

"All questions or disputes regarding the eligibility for the Program or provision of benefits will be resolved by Royal Caribbean at its sole discretion. "

"Special Rates on Balcony and Suite Staterooms

This program is capacity controlled and may be withdrawn at any time. .... The offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares and is not combinable with any other promotion or offer unless expressly stated therein."

I'm logged into my account right now, and I know that sometimes putting a link when you're logged in gives others the appearance of access (or actual access) to the account, so I won't include a link, but all I did was log in, go to the C&A area, and looked at the "fine print" of the benefits page.

I think this one is my favorite sentence:

"The offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares and is not combinable with any other promotion or offer unless expressly stated therein."

We booked a 3-2009 cruise last week on Mariner OTS...The CVP said "Oh!...you get a $200 early booking discount!"...I asked if I still got my Platinum discount...she said "you bet!".....and I did.

SO.....I get the advantage of both "offers" ( now that it appears C&A discounts are offers) but the 1 day sale and C&A are not combineable??

I agree...their biz, their rules...but this deal looks a bit short sided.

The issue of properly and completely training their CVP folks is a never ending matter. I was lucky enough to find one who Excels at customer service and friendliness...even gave me his personal cell phone number as they don't have extensions.

Want to know his name and number?? Sorry!....I'm going to be selfish with this information........

I hope RCCL booked a BUNCH of new customers!...the more the merrier!

We'll stay Loyal to Royal...they've been very good to us....

Peace, Y'all!

See you on board.....

I know this has been well rehashed. And, I haven't read all of the postings so this might be a repeat. I just have to throw in my two cents worth. For Platium & Diamond, the WOW wasn't a sale at all if you agree that "sale" implies a discounted price of some sort. You pay the full deposit sooner or later. I have no problem at all with RCI picking up new customers as that keeps prices down for all of us. I do have a problem with misrepresentation and the way the WOW was promoted. The WOW should have been aimed at first time cruisers and Gold. Our outbound RCI agent is sharp as a tack and also thought our Platinum and the "one day only" onboard credit could be combined. People and agents were clearly confused. However, not to be one to hold a grudge ... think I'll go count the days 'till we leave for Panama Canal!!!

Hello MJ...I could not have said it any better than you did. A totally agree RCCL mis-represented their one day sale and made it very confusing to the best TA's in the business.

We will always patronize RCCL like we have for our other 16 cruises, but it would be nice if they explained their sale better and what they were trying to achomplish. And it would be nice if all RCCL employees were on the same page where either no one got the balcony discounts, or everyone could.

Thanks again for your explanation

Being a diamond member, I did not book yesterday.:mad: I did want to use it as an excuse to book to dh:) , but didn't! We are also stockholders and the more people that book the better, right??!!

The only problem with yesterday I had was that some got their Diamond/Platinum discount, but most did not. I want to see one policy put into place and followed for all!!

if you agree that "sale" implies a discounted price of some sort.

This sums it all up. A "sale" simply means that something of value is offered in exchange for something of value. A full price cruise is still a "sale." Whenever, we hear of a sale, we automatically think of bargains. That is not what a "sale" is.

I don't agree that a "sale" implies a discounted price. A discounted price is simply stated that way. Then it becomes a "sale" at a discounted price as opposed to a "sale" at the full price.

Talk to someone in sales and you will have a better idea what a "sale" really is.

Have some good cruises!

I'm just a lowly Gold C&A member, and we cruise on a budget. The WOW Sale was a great deal for me and DW. Thanks RCCL!

I don't quite understand most of the complaining I've read. If the cashier presses the $10 register key instead of the $20 key, is that right? If next in line, do you demand the same error/discount? Well, some might, but not many, I'm sure. You really can't cheat an honest (wo)man. If some folks got MORE than they deserved, that happens, but since when does this mean everyone/anyone is entitled to MORE? The folks bemoaning that other possible discounts weren't misapplied in their cases should really demand that those who "doubled up" be stripped of their ill-gotten gains. No?

My god do we love SALE! Doesn't matter what it is on sale.

We booked 10 days cruise for October, 2008, inside room. Yes, I liked to pay $ 450 , not $900 deposit, and to get $200 OBC and absolutely nobody told me that I cannot combine it with my $ shareholder benefit. So, I will enjoy my $$$OBC and being Diamond member didn't matter to us this time. But what I did noticed that balcony prices went up about $100-150p.p , but inside didn't. So RCCL did take on consideration that Diamond discount should be applied.

I think letting everyone know in advance the policy and consistancy will keep things flowing smoothly.

If you book your next cruise on the ship as a Platinum and Diamond member, you do get to combine your Platinum or Diamond member status and get your balcony discount, PLUS, you also get the shipboard credit.

The one day sale was basically the same thing as booking when on the ship, but they changed the rules this time. As others have indicated, I do not think anyone cares, including me, if you cannot combine offers, just explain the promotions better and have some sort of consistancy.

As I mentioned before, money isn't the issue, but since a few have made it sound like I am complaining because we did not also get the balcony discount this time, I will say this.

I would like to know if you had invested close to $100,000 with RCCL cruising like we have in high category rooms, would you at least like to make sure all offers are explained properly so you could take advantage of every dollar that could possibly be saved?

I suppose if my 16 cruises were in inside cabins, oceanview, or balcony cabins like many of you have indicated you have stayed in or have booked, compared to suite cabins, maybe I would not be as concerned about saving a couple of dollars. If I stayed in one of those types of cabins for 16-cruises, I would have only invested an average of about $30,000, not $100,000. Invest what we have, and let me know if you would at least be inquiring like I have. It is repeat cruisers who take the top suites over and over again, that also keep RCCL going, so I think we are entitled to an opinion, whether everyone agrees or not.

*As I mentioned before, money isn't the issue...

*I would like to know if you had invested close to $100,000 with RCCL cruising like we have in high category rooms...

*I suppose if my 16 cruises were in inside cabins, oceanview, or balcony cabins like many of you have indicated you have stayed in or have booked, compared to suite cabins...

*If I stayed in one of those types of cabins for 16-cruises, I would have only invested an average of about $30,000, not $100,000...

*It is repeat cruisers who take the top suites over and over again, that also keep RCCL going...

I think we are entitled to an opinion, whether everyone agrees or not.

Dave, I don't think anybody disagrees that you are entitled to an opinion. I think problems stem from the perception that you are more entitled to your opinion than other RCI customers who cruise on a different budget.

You might have noticed that I only quoted parts of your message. This wasn't intended to take your remarks out of context -- I just thought that maybe you didn't realize how condescending and self-aggrandizing your comments might seem. Perhaps seeing them spelled out like this will give you a different perspective on the reaction they are likely to inspire. Just a little tip from a fellow suite-dweller. :)

Archived