17 People robbed on Conquest Jamaica excursion

oakbend

Here is a site I found that I found very intersteing being that it comes from a Jamaican Site:

http://www.jamaicans.com/articles/primecomments/jamaicacrimedilemma.shtml

wow... this gets more interesting as it goes on. I found this as well... yes, it is from 2004, but it's about crime hurting tourism. Again, from Jamaica... land, sea, air... it's reality.

http://www.ttgapers.com/Article857.html

Crime in Jamaica seems a cyclical problem. I first visited Ocho Rios in 1994. We were warned to be careful, but I wandered around the shops alone a bit and found the people pushy, but polite.

I do believe the cruise lines skipped Jamaica for a while in the mid-90s because it got too dangerous. That resulted in Margaritaville and they cleared the sidewalk as you walk through the gates off the ship of the poor people who used to line up there watching the passengers.

However, it's relapsing. On my last visit a few years ago with my parents, we shopped at the Taj Mahal, and then my father insisted on wandering farther alone. I warned him to stay near the tourists, but he wouldn't listen. He found himself quickly getting pitched for drugs and sex by scary-looking guys.

Returning to the ship, he was approached by one more man--a musician from the ship who asked if they could walk back together because he was scared to be alone.

All I could say was, "I told you so..."

Give me an Eastern Caribbean itinerary any day.

One incident isn't a crime wave. This entire thread is anecdotal. Obvious tourists are a target in Jamaica just as they are in most tourists meccas, whether here in the USA or many other places in the Caribbean, and the globe for that matter.

Reading the boards these past few weeks one thing seems obvious; the chances of your vacation being ruined by one of your fellow passengers plunging from the ship into the sea is far greater than your chances of being robbed in any port call.

One incident isn't a crime wave. This entire thread is anecdotal. Obvious tourists are a target in Jamaica just as they are in most tourists meccas, whether here in the USA or many other places in the Caribbean, and the globe for that matter.

AMEN!

While I was researching Jamaica, I came up with quite a few facts. Ocho Rios' only purpose is for the tour ships. That is why the city was formed. Dunn's Falls is the country's #1 tourist attraction (much like Disney World, only it's not hidden in the middle of 10,000 acres). Going to Orlando, there are quite a few thugs hanging around International Driver where they have hundreds of hotels and restaurants. Never once have I heard anyone not wanting to come to Orlando because of safety.

When contacting Barrett Adventures, they wrote back with the letter below:

We are doing a lot of tours for both Ocho Rios and Montego Bay passengers these days and enjoying showing people the real Jamaica away from the crowds, rude vendors and other unpleasantness associated with tours of Jamaica.The folks who spend a day with us will generally have lots to tell at dinner after seeing the beauty of our countryside and meeting unspoiled, friendly people. I am constantly receiving post trip emails telling me Jamaica was their favourite stop on the cruise.

I have been to Jamaica for a month at a time, and never once did I even feel intimidated. This is the first time on a cruise and I am so looking forward to seeing the South Coast (YS Falls, Black River and maybe Appleton if there is time).

I went to Belize on Imagination in 2002 and walked out of the compound and hired a driver. We had a delightful time. We went to a local restaruant and met some of the people. Carnival got us all together to warn us about a third world country, but I am thankful I was able to meet my taxi driver and have a good time.

Once thing I can say is that fear does attract the common thug. It's like they can smell it, so I would say it has to be a personal preference. If you are uncomfortable getting off the ship, it's best to go somewhere else. If you are ready for an adventure, do your homework and have fun! I've read that Barrett Adventures has been in business for about a dozen years and that Carolyn has a passion to show-off Jamaica.

I went to Belize on Imagination in 2002 and walked out of the compound and hired a driver. We had a delightful time. We went to a local restaruant and met some of the people. Carnival got us all together to warn us about a third world country, but I am thankful I was able to meet my taxi driver and have a good time.

My wife and I have explored a great deal of Belize City on foot. There are several sights worth seeing, especially government house and the old Anglican church. Belize city is poor, it isn't criminal. That said I wouldn't feel comfortable walking all over town after dark. I don't know the city well enough. It is the same rule I employ in any place I don't know well.

Once thing I can say is that fear does attract the common thug. It's like they can smell it, so I would say it has to be a personal preference. If you are uncomfortable getting off the ship, it's best to go somewhere else. If you are ready for an adventure, do your homework and have fun! I've read that Barrett Adventures has been in business for about a dozen years and that Carolyn has a passion to show-off Jamaica.

I could not agree more. If you feel unsafe your body language will convey that to criminals. If you are uncomfortable, don't venture out on your own. What ever the source of your discomfort, it will be picked up by criminals if they see you. Unfortunately it is a natural and hard to control human reaction to strange surroundings. It isn't a statement about the place you are visiting.

[/font]

My wife and I have explored a great deal of Belize City on foot. There are several sights worth seeing, especially government house and the old Anglican church. Belize city is poor, it isn't criminal. That said I wouldn't feel comfortable walking all over town after dark. I don't know the city well enough. It is the same rule I employ in any place I don't know well.

I could not agree more. If you feel unsafe your body language will convey that to criminals. If you are uncomfortable, don't venture out on your own. What ever the source of your discomfort, it will be picked up by criminals if they see you. Unfortunately it is a natural and hard to control human reaction to strange surroundings. It isn't a statement about the place you are visiting.

I agree with what you are saying about body language conveying discomfort and fear.... easy targets, especially amongst tourists... However, it IS a statement about the place we were visiting (what this thread is about), because I don't think bluebonnet and Kenneth's group who were attacked, were conveying fear and discomfort when they set out on a Carnival Cruise Excursion to a private banana plantation tour in which they had no idea fear and discomfort would be emotions felt that day. I would imagine, (like my family and myself felt the day we ventured on our tour to Dunns River Falls) that their emotions were excitement and happiness. They weren't walking the streets on their own, at night, through bad areas, ie Kingston etc which we have all been warned about... They most def showed fear while they were being attacked! I guarantee they were not attacked because the group was conveying uncertainty and fear, but because of the fact that they were a vulnerable group, easy targets on a pulled tractor and being UNAWARE that this could happen... a surprise attack... just the opposite. A happy tour group unarmed with tourist money, passports etc. and being in Jamaica where it is known for crime. Maybe this type of attack doesn't happen often and it's never happened to most who have posted here or are just reading, but it did happen. And most likely will happen again.

Okay... I have retired... for the 3rd time... but I will read what you all have to say. It's been a very interesting forum... :D

I repeat. This is to warn AVERAGE VACTIONERS, not the supreme, perfect, scared of nothing, bionic travelers as you tough guys, who can protect themselves with your body language.

Body language may protect you when a robber is selecting an individual. That he may have in a corner, or back alley.

This robbery was an organized ambush that was planned and calculated. Like a set of bank robbers.

These were not just single people on the prowl to take advantage of one tourist. They robbed 17 people on a Carnival Shore Excursion.

I asked this before with no response. Please, tell me one incident in the US, where a group of tourist were held up. You keep talking about getting robbed in the US. I agree, if you stray into certain areas, you can be robbed, but where are you going to go in a group of 17 and be robbed????????? Where?????

Your trying to classify this as a typical robbery. This is non-typical.

Tell you what...Once you've been there as many times as we have then feel free to "dribble" all you want. We aren't the typical cruise traveler that runs off a ship spends a couple of hours and runs back on and then pretends to be experts of where they've been. We've traveled all over the world for a week or even three week periods. And when we do travel we NEVER let our guard down. Just like we NEVER let our guard down when we travel to places in the U.S. we're not familiar with. Just like last week when I walked from the Holiday Inn near the port to Walgreens. No one is putting a gun to your head and making you choose these ports. If you don't like it don't book it. Don't tell me I can't go. Last week hundreds of people got off the ship the day we did. And thousands each week will continue to do so without incidence.

Back in February 2 Canadian tourist were robbed and one KILLED in Alcapulco. Should we not cruise there anymore? There is nothing wrong with letting people know the dangers of traveling somewhere. But please don't make my decision for me.

P.S. Check out our photos of Nine Mile Jamaica from last week :D

Irie!

You are so on point.I agree with you 100%.

[/color]

I agree with what you are saying about body language conveying discomfort and fear.... easy targets, especially amongst tourists... However, it IS a statement about the place we were visiting (what this thread is about), because I don't think bluebonnet and Kenneth's group who were attacked, were conveying fear and discomfort when they set out on a Carnival Cruise Excursion to a private banana plantation tour in which they had no idea fear and discomfort would be emotions felt that day. I would imagine, (like my family and myself felt the day we ventured on our tour to Dunns River Falls) that their emotions were excitement and happiness. They weren't walking the streets on their own, at night, through bad areas, ie Kingston etc which we have all been warned about... They most def showed fear while they were being attacked! I guarantee they were not attacked because the group was conveying uncertainty and fear, but because of the fact that they were a vulnerable group, easy targets on a pulled tractor and being UNAWARE that this could happen... a surprise attack... just the opposite. A happy tour group unarmed with tourist money, passports etc. and being in Jamaica where it is known for crime. Maybe this type of attack doesn't happen often and it's never happened to most who have posted here or are just reading, but it did happen. And most likely will happen again.

Okay... I have retired... for the 3rd time... but I will read what you all have to say. It's been a very interesting forum... :D

Lornadoons...........................thank you well said. I can't tell you what happiness and joy my two children had had up until this point of the cruise. All their happiness started before we ever left home. Such the thrill for the first time cruise, shopping for new clothes so the were dressed appropriately at night, new bathing suits, planning the excursions, what to buy their friends in each port...........so many joyful memories that were actually robbed as well that day. I still am appalled at the lack of some on here. I have never told someone not to get off the ship in Jamaica, I just want people to be very aware. I was aware of the problems while shopping in town and aware of the drug selling.............but never aware of the danger that I along with 16 others would be robbed at knife and gun point while on a Carnival sponsored excursion. It was completely planned on the Jamaican thugs part, they new exactly when and where we would be along the excursion route......they saw joy and delight in our faces turn to true fear and horror within minutes...........they got what they wanted, luckily one got what he had not planned on and that was death!!!! I say that with delight because I got something I had not planned on also that day, striped of something it would take me many words to type, especially when I think about what my girls went through that day.

Just please if you choose to get off in Jamaica know the dangers that are on that island.

I have pretty much asked the same question on this thread and made comments that yes there is crime everywhere, but I don't remember (because it hasn't happened) the last time that 17 people and a tour guide were robed while walking through Herman Park in Houston.

I repeat. This is to warn AVERAGE VACTIONERS, not the supreme, perfect, scared of nothing, bionic travelers as you tough guys, who can protect themselves with your body language.

Body language may protect you when a robber is selecting an individual. That he may have in a corner, or back alley.

This robbery was an organized ambush that was planned and calculated. Like a set of bank robbers.

These were not just single people on the prowl to take advantage of one tourist. They robbed 17 people on a Carnival Shore Excursion.

I asked this before with no response. Please, tell me one incident in the US, where a group of tourist were held up. You keep talking about getting robbed in the US. I agree, if you stray into certain areas, you can be robbed, but where are you going to go in a group of 17 and be robbed????????? Where?????

Your trying to classify this as a typical robbery. This is non-typical.

I have pretty much asked the same question on this thread and made comments that yes there is crime everywhere, but I don't remember (because it hasn't happened) the last time that 17 people and a tour guide were robed while walking through Herman Park in Houston.

And up until this incident in Jamaica happened, can you recall the last time 17 people and a tour guide were robbed in Jamaica?

Transportation robbery was invented in the US, robbing trains and passengers and stage coaches all started here. I am sure the FBI crime statisitic database would reveal the number of times a bus has been held up while robbers walked down the aisles taking valuables from passengers. I remember reading about a tourist bus full of gamblers outside of Vegas that got held up a couple of years ago, lots of cash on board - yes it does happen here too!!!

There was also an entire gambling bus of tourists headed from Salt Lake City to Wendover, NV that was held up at gunpoint in 1997 - so the argument that it does not happen here is just BS!!! Those gambling bus trips are loaded, with people carrying a ton of cash, and were specifically targeted and ambushed by gunmen. I am sure there are many more...

Transportation robbery was invented in the US, robbing trains and passengers and stage coaches all started here. I am sure the FBI crime statisitic database would reveal the number of times a bus has been held up while robbers walked down the aisles taking valuables from passengers. I remember reading about a tourist bus full of gamblers outside of Vegas that got held up a couple of years ago, lots of cash on board - yes it does happen here too!!!

Plenty of places to have a horrible encounter such as what has been discussed here. I guess if I were to be a victim of crime I'd just as soon have it happen in my own country. I have a little more faith in our justice system here than outside the country.

Plenty of places to have a horrible encounter such as what has been discussed here. I guess if I were to be a victim of crime I'd just as soon have it happen in my own country. I have a little more faith in our justice system here than outside the country.

I agree!!! There just have been a bunch of posts asking the question: "When has this happened in the United States ever...." it has happened, probably more than we know! Certainly more than Jamaica...

Then if you count in the Phillipines, South America, it seems to happen a lot there from what I read on the web. Jamaica is certainly not unique.

The Conquest was our first cruise two years ago. On our cruise our professional shopper told us to be very careful in Jamaica port and not to come in personal contact with anyone because they may plant drugs on you. We did not like Jamaica at all and if we ever go on another Wester cruise we will not get off there. I know there is crime everywhere even in Memphis, TN and I agree I do not recall someone robbing a large group of here and crime is bad in Memphis.

You are right. Crime can happen anywhere at anytime, we must all be on our guard. Even though my husband is from Jamaica, I don't feel comfortable when I am there without him. Many people feel that the ships should stop going there for awhile. It actually may help. When the Jamacian goverment saw how much money was passing them by and going to other islands. I think they would make visitor safety a priority and they would also do something about the aggressiveness of the vendors. The cruise lines will only drop a port of call if it is no longer profitable for them. If we as passengers stop booking cruises that stop in Jamaica, I believe the cruise lines and the Jamacian government would get the hint.

to KWilliams or OP

you and your friend have flamed me...however you have also misunderstood me...it is Mrs. Dyslexic Pirate...I have only communicated My own experiences with my clan in Ocho Rios.

I hope you and your family are fine and have moved beyond this experience and are healing from the trauma.

I don't trust my family not to go all "John Wayne" on the first aggessive locals which is why we will avoid all cruises that stop there in the future. I know the men in my family will not back down from a confrontation (not a good thing) which is why I warn others not to venture far from the ship in this port.

The strange vibe in this port is hard to convey to those that haven't been there or who've had a great experience in the past in a controlled/all inclusice resort experience. If you get off the ship BE CAREFUL. There...I've said the last thing I'll say on this thread.

Happy, safe, informed cruising to all! :) :)

Archived