17 People robbed on Conquest Jamaica excursion

oakbend

Mrs. pirate,

I appologize if I have flamed you. I do not want to hurt anyones feelings or degrade anyone for their way of thinking. I just wanted to get my story out in an attempt to warn others.

If it was just me on that day, I know I would handle this in a different manner. There is something about seeing my children face the possibility of death that has changed me forever. I am very persistent on doing whatever it takes, to pursuade anyone who is thinking of traveling to Jamaica or any un-safe port...PLEASE investigate it like your family's life depends on it. Do not for one second think that any travel agency, cruise line or any company in the business of selling you a trip will give you the information that you need to make a safe decision.

Again, I apologize for anything I said that offended you or your family.

Let's face it.. Different countries have, on average, different travel risks. If you read the guide books, you will see they always mention safety. Some countries are the normal 'watch out for pickpockets in crowds" warning. They have other countried where they are much more concerned with personal safety. Many warn of travel in Jamacia outside the Hotels or the Hotel Zones. It is likely one of the more dangerous countries in the area -- along with Haiti, etc. Mexico is much safer in general. This does not mean that there have never been bad incidents in Mexico, just that they are less likely.

But, Mon, whats ya gona do? Dont worry, be happy.

I did this same cruise March 25th and read these forum from head to toe before booking any tours. We saw alot of bad feed back for Montego Bay in the past posts. So we ended up talking a jungle jeep tour out side of town booking this online with the ship tours. Getting off the ship and walking by the vendors was creepy they would not leave us alone. ( BUT We where warned about this and ready for it) We got into our line then tour guide got us took us to the jeep and off we went for a all day trip. It was so much fun and would love to go back and do the zip ropes next time. This island has alot of good and bad. I think staying away from the port and away from going into town is the best bet. We had a beautiful trip there and no worries buy doing what we did. I would tell anyone to stay away from the down town stuff it is not safe.

Obviously you didn't read the entire thread. We aren't talking about a single incident.

One incident isn't a crime wave. This entire thread is anecdotal. Obvious tourists are a target in Jamaica just as they are in most tourists meccas, whether here in the USA or many other places in the Caribbean, and the globe for that matter.

wow, what a hot topic, I can't believe I missed this heated discussion. No time to read it all now, so I guess I will have some interesting reading material w/ my coffee in the morning.

I know this was mentioned in another thread about him telling his story on ebay, good way to get your story heard.

are there 2 pier areas in jamaica, one in mobay, another in ochos rios? and if so, have CCL ships docked in both?

are the laminated drug menus, harrasment, and other discusssion surrounding the "pier areas" relating to mobay, ochos rios, or both?

is one pier area any safer than the other?

are there 2 pier areas in jamaica, one in mobay, another in ochos rios? and if so, have CCL ships docked in both?

are the laminated drug menus, harrasment, and other discusssion surrounding the "pier areas" relating to mobay, ochos rios, or both?

Jamaica is Jamaica. Mobay and Ocho Rios aren't any different that Kingston or other areas of the country. The island is beautiful, however the drugs and poverty make travel a bit unsafe by many people's standards.

Dianne

Jamaica is Jamaica. Mobay and Ocho Rios aren't any different that Kingston or other areas of the country. The island is beautiful, however the drugs and poverty make travel a bit unsafe by many people's standards.

Dianne

yes. i am very aware of the dangers now (since following this thread), but i am curious if most of the "pier area accountings" had taken place in mobay. do you know?

do you know if there are pier terminals in both mobay and ochos rios?

Yes True, CCL ships dock in both Mobay and Ocho Rios. We have only been to Ocho Rios but I have heard it is the same at both piers.

We were approached by the loosers as soon as we got off the ship.

Right in front of security. They won't back down you have to just keep walking and don't make eye contact.

Just be careful!

Yes True, CCL ships dock in both Mobay and Ocho Rios. We have only been to Ocho Rios but I have heard it is the same at both piers.

We were approached by the loosers as soon as we got off the ship.

Right in front of security. They won't back down you have to just keep walking and don't make eye contact.

Just be careful!

thanks, girlfriend! i was beginning to think no one knew the answer to that question, LOL. is margaritaville right by the pier in ochos rios?

thanks, girlfriend! i was beginning to think no one knew the answer to that question, LOL. is margaritaville right by the pier in ochos rios?

I believe so. At least I think it is...but then again there was A LOT of free rum punch flowing that day.

Do a google earth on Ocho...MVille is marked.

Yes. It is right on the beach next to the pier/shopping center. You will have no problem going there.......

If the kids don't want to stay there and swim in the pool they can play on the beach.......

Yes. It is right on the beach next to the pier/shopping center. You will have no problem going there.......

If the kids don't want to stay there and swim in the pool they can play on the beach.......

thanks, kurb! sounds like a plan, now. (*smiling again*) as you know, i like margaritaville just fine.:D :p

How awful, I can't even imagine it. Like everyone is saying though, it could happen anywhere and you are taking a risk at every port.

I was thinking of going on the Dunn's Fall excursion. Is this safe, for anyone whose been on it? It is in Ochos Rios, not Montego Bay.

My parents have vacationed in Mongego Bay at the Sandals resort and had NO complaints. So anyone looking to still vacation in Jamaica, I recommend that resort!

I was thinking of going on the Dunn's Fall excursion. Is this safe, for anyone whose been on it? It is in Ochos Rios, not Montego Bay.

Yes, it's safe....the biggest danger is slipping and cracking your tushy on a rock.

Once tourists start getting robbed or beat up, cruise lines will stop going there. I believe that is what happened in St. Croix, and how many cruise ships are still going there? NONE!

i don't think so, unfortunately. hey, i'd be happy if they gave costa maya back to those of us who they switched this itinerary on. but, i'm not holding my breath for that one.

How awful, I can't even imagine it. Like everyone is saying though, it could happen anywhere and you are taking a risk at every port.

My parents have vacationed in Mongego Bay at the Sandals resort and had NO complaints. So anyone looking to still vacation in Jamaica, I recommend that resort!

I've done the Dunn's River Fall excursion in Ocho Rios and if I ever get to go back, I will do it again. One thing to watch out for leaving is make sure you know where the exit is. We had a guy show us the exit and he wound up taking us through the shops. While they are aggressive sellers, just say no thanks and move on. These people are making plenty off tourists and are not violent.

Our tour also went to Dolphins Cove which was a very neat place. We were suppose to snorkel but it was too rough so we got to swim with the dolphins instead. There was also a path to walk down that had some various different animals, like Igunas, snakes, turtles, etc. which was pretty neat too.

Once we got back we ate at a resturant in the port area and had some jerk chicken before getting back on the boat. I will say we were offered drugs once, but a simple no thanks was all it took. At no point did I feel anymore unsafe then I did at any other port of call. I know there are dangers, and it is a must to avoid the downtown area. Stick to the port area and excursions and 99.9% of the time you will be fine. This incident was an exception, not the rule for planned excursions.

NOTE: I haven't been there since Feb. 2006 so things may have changed some, but I doubt it changed that much to discount this post. At any rate, I hope you have fun and enjoy the falls.

Archived