5,00+charter Member Club-what Does It Mean?

Not a stupid question at all. :) My understanding -- and since I am not a charter member, I hope somebody will correct me if I'm wrong -- is that the "Charter Member" designation refers to members who have been with Cruise Critic since the days before its transition to its current format.

In other words, they're the old timers. :D

Not a stupid question at all. :) My understanding -- and since I am not a charter member' date=' I hope somebody will correct me if I'm wrong -- is that the "Charter Member" designation refers to members who have been with Cruise Critic since the days before its transition to its current format.[/font']

In other words, they're the old timers. :D

All 5,000 and 10,000 members are not all old timers. ;)

The old timers are the ones who's joining dates go back a long time, not their amount of postings. Some of the "old Timers" post very seldom. ;)

Some of us have been around a long time. Myself, 5 years. But if you look at Sue L's starting date, 2005, or many of the other CC's, she is way ahead in only 2 years. It really just depends on how much you post.

We actually changed over in April 2004 I believe. Just 3 years ago. If I am wrong, someone will correct me. :D

Clarification.... the ones that say "Charter Member" are the ones that have been around for several years and who lost anywhere from hundreds to thousands of posts in the board transition a few years ago. They were given that designation when their count was reduced so people would know that they had made numerous more posts than their count showed.

This happened recently again in March to several of us who were around at that time who were not quite to the 5000 level then, but had made it past that level since then. Just a couple of months ago when my post count was near 7000 I lost close to 5000 posts and went from a 5000+ member to a post count of just a few over 2000.

All 5,000 and 10,000 members are not all old timers. ;)

The old timers are the ones who's joining dates go back a long time, not their amount of postings. Some of the "old Timers" post very seldom. ;)

Some of us have been around a long time. Myself, 5 years. But if you look at Sue L's starting date, 2005, or many of the other CC's, she is way ahead in only 2 years. It really just depends on how much you post.

We actually changed over in April 2004 I believe. Just 3 years ago. If I am wrong, someone will correct me. :D

that is because I am obsessed with these boards since I found it. I actually was on the old board did not participate too much because of the live format it was too hard to keep up.

Clarification.... the ones that say "Charter Member" are the ones that have been around for several years and who lost anywhere from hundreds to thousands of posts in the board transition a few years ago. They were given that designation when their count was reduced so people would know that they had made numerous more posts than their count showed.

This happened recently again in March to several of us who were around at that time who were not quite to the 5000 level then, but had made it past that level since then. Just a couple of months ago when my post count was near 7000 I lost close to 5000 posts and went from a 5000+ member to a post count of just a few over 2000.

Sorry to hear that. I know how you feel. :(

I was also a Charter Member from 2004 until I finally got to 5000 posts in 2007? I lost almost 4500 in the conversion in 2004. I was allowed to bring over 347 of all those points.

In my posting I was trying to explain that the old timers are not always the ones with the most postings. It is the starting date that tells who an old timer is unless that person has changed their identity and has a new start date.

that is because I am obsessed with these boards since I found it. I actually was on the old board did not participate too much because of the live format it was too hard to keep up.

You give great advice!!!!! I am also obsessed with these boards. Most of us are.

My postings used your name as an example because your post was above mine. Nothing more than that.

You have never been a 1 word answer person. You give great answers in great detail. :D

If you read my previous post above to mohavemommy, you will see that I had almost 5000 posts before 2004 that I lost in the conversion. I would have had 10,000 by now. Talk about obsessed. So, would I comment on you. NO. :D

I was also a Charter Member from 2004 until I finally got to 5000 posts in 2007? I lost almost 4500 in the conversion in 2004. I was allowed to bring over 347 of all those points.

In my posting I was trying to explain that the old timers are not always the ones with the most postings. It is the starting date that tells who an old timer is unless that person has changed their identity and has a new start date.

Yeah... it is a bummer. :(

Good point about the start date too! I personally look at date as well as post count when I look at a poster.

Didnt Charter members start way before that?/Even before I started in 2001??:confused:

OOPs.sorry.didnt realize I was a charter member...........again, I thought that was for those who have been in since the start.......which was before 2001....guess not...........just when did CC start up??

I notice that there are many members who have 5,000 or 10,000+charter member under their names. What does that mean?

Sorry if this is a stupid ? Thanks

THis is from the CC FAQ section.

What is a Blue Ribbon Cruiser? Charter Member? 5,000+ Club etc.?

A "Blue Ribbon Cruiser" is a member who has attained 3,000 posts on the Cruise Critic message boards -- at any time. Those who's posting counts do not reflect 3,000 posts may have been "grandfathered"...that is, they attained their status prior to our moving to our new message boards on June 2004. Those who attain 5,000+ posts on the forums will receive a title of "5,000+ Club". Ditto the 10,000+ level. Those who have "Charter Member" in front of their club name are those who had attained 5,000 or 10,000 posts on the day that Cruise Critic moved to our new message board forums in June of 2004.

Didnt Charter members start way before that?/Even before I started in 2001??:confused:

OOPs.sorry.didnt realize I was a charter member...........again, I thought that was for those who have been in since the start.......which was before 2001....guess not...........just when did CC start up??

Hi Parrothead8, Did the boards start in the 90's? 1995 maybe?

SENIOR MOMENT!

I made a big boo boo and posted I was a Charter Member to mohavemommy.

I was a Blue Ribbon Cruiser. I had over 3000, and didn't get to the 5000 when the boards switched over. Sorry for the mistake.:o

I recall being on this forum in aol in the 90's. But not under the name I am registered with here. Back then it was your aol screen name.

Then they went off the aol message boards. There were a bunch of boards thru prodigy and aol back then that were interesting.

And I used to post on usenet under rec.travel.cruises back in the early 90's.

again under a totally different name that I used for usenet that corresponded to my email address back then.

I'm sure many people here on this board did also.

THis is from the CC FAQ section.

What is a Blue Ribbon Cruiser? Charter Member? 5,000+ Club etc.?

A "Blue Ribbon Cruiser" is a member who has attained 3,000 posts on the Cruise Critic message boards -- at any time. Those who's posting counts do not reflect 3,000 posts may have been "grandfathered"...that is, they attained their status prior to our moving to our new message boards on June 2004. Those who attain 5,000+ posts on the forums will receive a title of "5,000+ Club". Ditto the 10,000+ level. Those who have "Charter Member" in front of their club name are those who had attained 5,000 or 10,000 posts on the day that Cruise Critic moved to our new message board forums in June of 2004.

Thanks for posting this.............this is correct..........I also believe that as a charter member like I am for 5,000 posts, once you reach the next level of 10,000, your charter membership stays the same........only the non charter members keep moving up........if that makes sense.......I'll find out in a couple of weeks as I near 10,000 again..........I know last time I hit 10,000 posts (I have lost 19,000) I stayed at charter member 5,000 posts.

I've been a member since 1997, and I think I had a little over 100 posts when they converted in 2004.

And back then, they counted the posts in the Floataway Graveyard. :rolleyes:

So, a charter member could be someone who knows the next city alphabetically after Berlin is Charlotte. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the Info. Different Boards have different rules. A couple of examples from others I visit. One does not allow an avatar until you have 100 posts. Another gives you a symbol when you post 5 times over two weeks and takes it away if you miss a couple of weeks.

Me, I just like the avatars since they tend to brighten up the screen.

Cheers

So, a charter member could be someone who knows the next city alphabetically after Berlin is Charlotte. :rolleyes:

A charter member could also be the one who told the World's Best Jokes or maybe just a friendly racing lizard. ;)

I would like to see what the solution is to the most recent post loss. It's deja vu! :o

Mom I think the solution is............they won't count either...........they were old floataway posts from the old days..........and one day they just dropped off.........:) I'll bet you are excited about the Mariner........I think of you often and hope you are doing well...........

I notice that there are many members who have 5,000 or 10,000+charter member under their names. What does that mean?

Sorry if this is a stupid ? Thanks

So...what are the benefits of being a charter member or a 5000+ or 10,000+ member? :confused: I'm just as addicted to this site as the rest of you are so if there are some "real" benefits, I want to know about them. Are there any discounts for cruises or free gifts? I'm new since May so be gentle with your responses, okay? :p

BTW...My honeymoon cruise is in 10 days!!! :D

I thought originally the 5,000+ was to indicate you lost at least that many posts in the conversion. Now anyone who reaches 5,000 will have that listed with their name?

No. Someone who has 5000 or 10000 + just has that many posts. If it says "Charter Member" that means they had that many before and lost them.

Archived