Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Like someone else said, you are not allowed to take an in-training dog on cruises. The right is for the disabled person, not the dog, and even a disabled person cannot take their in-training dog onboard. I am sure your program has a way you can send your dog to another puppy raiser or to them while you travel. I don't even know why you would WANT the hassle and expense and inconvenience (including having to skip getting off at certain ports and miss out on certain types of tours) of bringing the dog; the only reason those of us with trained dogs do it is because we NEED the dogs' help in order to go on the cruise! :)

I had been told in the past that my pup in training wouldn't be a problem. We were going on a cruise to nowhere and wouldn't be stopping at any ports (literally, 2 days of nowhere). Perhaps I was given some misinformation.

I honestly didn't think it would have been an issue to take her on a cruise to nowhere (we would of course have called the line first and seen if it is all right and not just shown up. we even have to do this when we fly). Its not an issue for me to leave her at home (she will be staying home for our upcoming cruises) just felt that the cruise to nowhere wouldn't have been an issue being that we wouldn't be stopping at a port.

As far as self trained dogs, I'd like to chime in on that if I may. I have a good friend of mine whom was in a car accident and suffered a neurological injury (she's still in an ongoing settlement with the driver who hit her. its been a long road). She has used her boxer as a service dog [she trained her mostly by herself and they worked with a trainer that was able to get Kashmir the public access testing] because large crowds, sensory overloads, and the sudden pain attacks of her head were hard for her to manage so she needed Kash to alert her as of to when the onsets were going to strike. Since then, Kashmir doesn't work anymore due to health issues. (terrible hip problems, elbow issues, etc.)

As far as dremmeling, that's all I've ever used on my dogs. My oldest can't stand the clippers we have so when time comes I have my friend [same one who owns KAshmir] come to trim his nails cause heaven forbid if mom does it lol! On my golden I've used the dremmel. I've found that I don't have to get a nail trim so quickly with that. Takes some introduction to it though. I used it on my foster lab last year and even with slow introduction she wasn't having it! Guess its not for everyone.

Roz: hope all is well! Hoping to hear from you soon! <3

Edited by cruisin_cutie216

No fretting allowed, we will hear soon from Roz .... She will be busy with her daughter and all the things they were planning to sort out, or they may even have gone away for a few days, we don't know, so positive thoughts. I'm keeping her in my thoughts and prayers like all of you do. Mind you it's easier said than done to not worry! :)

Roz, been thinking of you. Did your daughter's visit go as well as to be expected? Hugs!

Hi Marcia, thank you for asking. It's been such a wonderful week with my children. There were lots of tears and great stories. Morey was a wonderful father and left a lasting legacy with our children.

I, honestly, have not had a free moment and the time spent with family was so fulfilling! They'll be heading back to Oregon tomorrow and it will be a while before we'll see each other again because school will be starting and they'll all be so involved!

Roz, Please check in!

Cindy, we've been so involved everyday. I wasn't near my computer and when I logged on yesterday my computer crashed. I had it repaired today and now I'm back! Boy, you don't use a computer for a few days and everything goes haywire!

We had a great time sharing "PaPa" stories and going through some of his things. As great as it was to have my children around me, it was very difficult at the same time.

Roz' date=' I know i don't post oftenbut i read everyday and i too am. getting worried. It's just not like you. I hope all is fine with you and Horty but my heart worries for Brenny. Please check in![/quote']

Barbara, it's been a very intense week with my children; some laughter, lots of tears and much sharing about a man who touched all of our lives in many different ways.

Brenda is, for lack of better words, really hanging in there. She had a very rough day where walking became difficult and breathing was labored, then she would rally the next day and just seem very tired but okay. I know each day is a gift and I'm going to enjoy each and every one of them. I know you understand this.

I had been told in the past that my pup in training wouldn't be a problem. We were going on a cruise to nowhere and wouldn't be stopping at any ports (literally, 2 days of nowhere). Perhaps I was given some misinformation.

I honestly didn't think it would have been an issue to take her on a cruise to nowhere (we would of course have called the line first and seen if it is all right and not just shown up. we even have to do this when we fly). Its not an issue for me to leave her at home (she will be staying home for our upcoming cruises) just felt that the cruise to nowhere wouldn't have been an issue being that we wouldn't be stopping at a port.

As far as self trained dogs, I'd like to chime in on that if I may. I have a good friend of mine whom was in a car accident and suffered a neurological injury (she's still in an ongoing settlement with the driver who hit her. its been a long road). She has used her boxer as a service dog [she trained her mostly by herself and they worked with a trainer that was able to get Kashmir the public access testing] because large crowds, sensory overloads, and the sudden pain attacks of her head were hard for her to manage so she needed Kash to alert her as of to when the onsets were going to strike. Since then, Kashmir doesn't work anymore due to health issues. (terrible hip problems, elbow issues, etc.)

As far as dremmeling, that's all I've ever used on my dogs. My oldest can't stand the clippers we have so when time comes I have my friend [same one who owns KAshmir] come to trim his nails cause heaven forbid if mom does it lol! On my golden I've used the dremmel. I've found that I don't have to get a nail trim so quickly with that. Takes some introduction to it though. I used it on my foster lab last year and even with slow introduction she wasn't having it! Guess its not for everyone.

Roz: hope all is well! Hoping to hear from you soon! <3

Thanks cruisincutie, I'm good and thanks for the info. on dremmeling. Both Brenda and Horton are used to it so it shouldn't be too difficult. Now, it's up to me to practice!

No fretting allowed, we will hear soon from Roz .... She will be busy with her daughter and all the things they were planning to sort out, or they may even have gone away for a few days, we don't know, so positive thoughts. I'm keeping her in my thoughts and prayers like all of you do. Mind you it's easier said than done to not worry! :)

All's good! Not to worry! On top of being with the children, I've had some modem problems with my computer for the past few days.....it's all fixed and I'm back.

You're interest is much appreciated. :)

Roz, Whewwwww glad you are ok. Its so unlike you not to check in, you scared me. Don't do that again.:mad: :D I'm glad you had time with your family. Sounds like it was alittle rough but you knew it would be. Enjoy your last night with the family. Love ya my friend!

Thank you.....I'm so glad to be online and with you guys. My home looks like a boarding house. People everywhere and in between them are two big, Black Labs. I love it. I know how quiet it will be when they all leave and the hustle and bustle is fun for now!

It feels so good to have all of you thinking and sending all your good wishes my way. It means the world to me!

Hi tikigal: With a large balcony you may be able to convince your steward to place the potty box right on your balcony.

I suggest you contact the Special Needs department of Carnival at least one week before you cruise and tell them where you want the box placed and what type of filler you would like for the box. Cyprus mulch or wood chips [not blocks] would be best. Make sure you meet with your steward upon your arrival and immediately introduce your dog to the box.

I like the box to be pre-set-up for me before I enter the ship. I make sure my dog has had a chance to relieve himself before we enter the ship, just in case the box set-up needs to be re-arranged.

If they will NOT place the box on your veranda make sure they set it up in a crew closet or stairwell near your cabin. Insist on it.

You shouldn't need to bring anything if your communication with Carnival is precise in your expectations for your dogs comfort.

Make sure to bring potty bags to pick up the solid waste; make sure they leave a waste basket near the box to drop the bags into and have them leave the bag of mulch near the box so that you can add more if needed [or, you can ask the steward to add more], this will keep the box more fresh.

Well, the kids are gone and now I'm focusing on my upcoming cruise. Less than a month away.

Again, I've booked my cabin near the aft [back] of the ship [close to the aft stairwell], my favorite place to put the potty box. It's so convenient, I can go with Horton early in the morning & late at night, [in my PJ's].

I'm going to call Princess Access Dept. a few days before my cruise. They will contact the Hotel Manager who will give directives to my Steward about the placement and needs for Horton's box.

Once the box is situated, it makes for a more relaxing and fun cruise when your dog's needs are met-You can relax and enjoy your week of cruising with your Service Dog.

Horton has a doctor's [Vet] appointment so I can get his travel cert. and I've made his grooming appointment for a few days before we leave.

Since Horton loves to destroy his stuffies I'll buy him some new ones just for the cruise to keep his interest. Brenda NEVER tore-up her toys, she still has the same toys I bought her 11 years ago, when she first came to live with us. I'm lucky if Horton's last a few months. I'll also make sure to order some more Virbac Chews to take along. They're good for his gums & teeth and keep him from getting bored.

Well, the kids are gone and now I'm focusing on my upcoming cruise. Less than a month away.

Again, I've booked my cabin near the aft [back] of the ship [close to the aft stairwell], my favorite place to put the potty box. It's so convenient, I can go with Horton early in the morning & late at night, [in my PJ's].

I'm going to call Princess Access Dept. a few days before my cruise. They will contact the Hotel Manager who will give directives to my Steward about the placement and needs for Horton's box.

Once the box is situated, it makes for a more relaxing and fun cruise when your dog's needs are met-You can relax and enjoy your week of cruising with your Service Dog.

Horton has a doctor's [Vet] appointment so I can get his travel cert. and I've made his grooming appointment for a few days before we leave.

Since Horton loves to destroy his stuffies I'll buy him some new ones just for the cruise to keep his interest. Brenda NEVER tore-up her toys, she still has the same toys I bought her 11 years ago, when she first came to live with us. I'm lucky if Horton's last a few months. I'll also make sure to order some more Virbac Chews to take along. They're good for his gums & teeth and keep him from getting bored.

I'm sure you are excited about your cruise. It will be good for you to get away for a few days. Nothing like the open sea to clear your head. Of course you seem to have everything under control, but you are a pro. ;)

I wish we lived closer cuz I just went through Wexlers toy box and threw a ton of "stuffies" in a bag to bring to our dog meeting this weekend. He does not tear them apart either.

Just got John off to the first day of school. Its like sending my little boy off. :D He gets all dressed up and looking so handsome. Wex will be happy cuz they are at a different school this year. He has moved to the 4,5 & 6th grade instead of the little ones. Wex will like the older less whiney kids. He is great with kids but not thrilled with the little ones. And he hates toddlers!! :eek: I am heading to CT and will be back tomorrow. Everyone have a great day!!

I appreciate you all trying to help me on my first cruise with a dog. Should I leave my dog behind while in the main dining room on Carnival? Celebrity's dining rooms are very crowded. There would really be no room for her.

Carnival makes seating comfortable for you and your dog so no need to leave her behind. Also this is when the stewards make your room ready for the night so leaving a dog in your room could be a problem. It would be alful if the dog became afraid and ran out of the room. The staff is wonderful and i'm sure you will have a great time just remember it's not Celebrity.

Talk to the Matre d' and ask for a table that backs-up to a wall where your dog can lay against, without being in the way of other diners or the serving staff.

Horton is huge and we were given a table that had a railing with an open space for him to lay down and be out of the way, as each server came over we let him/her know that Horton was there and from that moment on no one stepped on or tripped over him!!!! We actually surprised many diners who sat near us and had no idea that a dog was even in the room!

Don't try to put your dog under the table......I did and after he was stepped on because people forgot he was under there, he would get spooked and would come out from his down/stay position, I decided to never try that again!

Get in the habit of taking you dog with you....it's good for both of you.

I appreciate you all trying to help me on my first cruise with a dog. Should I leave my dog behind while in the main dining room on Carnival? Celebrity's dining rooms are very crowded. There would really be no room for her.

Take the dog with you. I thought I read on here that the lines prohibited leaving your partner dog alone in the stateroom at any time? Their reasoning is that if you leave the dog in the room, you must not really need it, so why did they allow the dog on the ship?

Yes, the dining rooms are crowded, but they can still move you to a table where you and your SD will be comfortable.

Take the dog with you. I thought I read on here that the lines prohibited leaving your partner dog alone in the stateroom at any time? Their reasoning is that if you leave the dog in the room, you must not really need it, so why did they allow the dog on the ship?

Yes, the dining rooms are crowded, but they can still move you to a table where you and your SD will be comfortable.

Barb, I totally agree with you. Why do you have a Service Dog? Certainly not to leave him/her in your cabin! And, as was stated, some lines will NOT allow you to leave your dog alone in the cabin. Unless you have a crate for your dog it's really not a very good idea anyway!

The Stewards appear like magic, while you're out of your cabin, to refresh and clean it. It's best that both you and your dog are out at this time.

The crowds are everywhere onboard a ship. You will learn how to maneuver your way around them and the myriad of lines you will be in to best accommodate both you and your dog.

The elevators can be the worst. Some people don't care if you have a dog, a wheel chair or a walker; they want into the elevator and they want in FIRST!

If the elevator is going down and you want to go up, get in anyway and step to the rear, take the ride......it's better to be in and safe than to be trampled on in the process. When leaving, they will have to part the way as you and your dog exit.

Be prepared to stop on your way to wherever you're going for the many, many questions that will be asked. Remember, you're an ambassador for the rest of us who walk or wheel with a SD. Answer their good questions and do allow for some "patting" time. They had to pay a hefty price to have their pet boarded and, they're missing their furbabies.

Allowing for brief moments of patting and interacting with your dog fulfills the public's need for the fur and also allows them the priviledge to get up close and personal with this highly trained, amazing being!

I am taking my service dog this week for the first time. I have wanted to in the past, but flying overseas on so many flights or last minute cruises has made it impossible on Celebrity. You must give them 30 days notice. Most of the time, I'm booked within the 30 days.

So this time , I am on the Carnival Dream in 2 weeks. Any suggestions? We have a grand suite and a huge deck. Will they put the potty box on the deck? Can I bring a piece of sod?:DIf we have to get up in the middle of the night, and walk a long distance, she may just go in the hallway, defeating the purpose. what should I do?

VERY IMPORTANT ! Have you competed and processed all documentation for each country/port otherwise your dog will not be permitted to leave the ship ? This is extremely important as it's your responsibility to research this matter and make certain all the paperwork was done prior to boarding the ship.

Following was copied directly from Carnival's website.

Service Dogs

Carnival Cruise Lines only permits service/working dogs onboard; a working/ service dog is legally defined and is trained to meet the disability related need. We do not allow guests to sail with therapy/companion dog, service dogs in training, or pets.

Service dogs must have current vaccinations; these vaccinations are in addition to what governing port officials require. Please know that many of the ports you may visit will only accept annual rabies vaccinations. The three-year rabies vaccination is not recognized in many countries
. It is the guest’s responsibility to contact the Department of Agriculture or your Service Dogs Veterinarian to obtain information on the requirements at each port. The failure to have the required vaccinations or documentation may result in your service animal not be able to disembark or quarantine

Edited by xxoocruiser

VERY IMPORTANT ! Have you competed and processed all documentation for each country/port otherwise your dog will not be permitted to leave the ship ? This is extremely important as it's your responsibility to research this matter and make certain all the paperwork was done prior to boarding the ship.

Following was copied directly from Carnival's website.

Service Dogs

Carnival Cruise Lines only permits service/working dogs onboard; a working/ service dog is legally defined and is trained to meet the disability related need. We do not allow guests to sail with therapy/companion dog, service dogs in training, or pets.

Service dogs must have current vaccinations; these vaccinations are in addition to what governing port officials require. Please know that many of the ports you may visit will only accept annual rabies vaccinations. The three-year rabies vaccination is not recognized in many countries
. It is the guest’s responsibility to contact the Department of Agriculture or your Service Dogs Veterinarian to obtain information on the requirements at each port. The failure to have the required vaccinations or documentation may result in your service animal not be able to disembark or quarantine

I know I should NEVER assume this. But, I'm sure that "tikigal" knew that she would have to have all current immunizations in order to travel with her SD.